SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:09   #9426
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

This is great news! He's too young to give up like that, and he will be fine. With you there, what's stopping him?

Keep Fighting!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 13:10   #9427
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
A prayer thread was posted on FR for Skidoo...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2914611/posts

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 13:35   #9428
deputy tom

More prayers sent for all involved. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cẹl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15   #9429
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
My thoughts and prayers are with ya'll.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2131 View Post
You are the definition of a good friend. For someone going through the pain you are to be there for Skidoo is just awesome. Words are one thing, actual deeds are another. For so long you've been a voice of hope and the voice of reason when needed. I'm proud to have known you and called you friend.
Yesterday turned out to be a 2 breathing attack day, and the fist one got pretty bad. Jeff's sister said during the second one "If there's anything I can do for you, just tell me and I'll do it". I told her to please shoot me. Turned out she lied. haha

It's worth having them every day to have been able to come up here, though. Well worth it. I'm proud to know you. too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
This is great news! He's too young to give up like that, and he will be fine. With you there, what's stopping him?

Keep Fighting!
Yep, he is. He's got several health problems, but he's tough. I posted this a bit ago in my thread about him...

The news wasn't so good today. This from his sister's fb page,

"Keep your prayers up for Jeff. It's possible that the water and applesauce have been going into his lungs. He failed his swallowing test today, but he will have a camera evaluation monday morning. It is a surgical procedure, so pray hard, otherwise we are back to square one."

The big concerns here are than he may have pneumonia beginning in his lungs, and also that he may not regain enough ability to swallow that he could have the feeding tube removed in the future. If that's the case, he'd never be able to leave a nursing home, and that's not what he wants. We'll have more answers on Monday, but if the prognosis is bad, Jeff may choose to go back to the hospice. None of us would blame him, but we hope things get better between now and Monday. Please keep praying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
A prayer thread was posted on FR for Skidoo...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2914611/posts
Thank you for that. I read that thread, and it's very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy tom View Post
More prayers sent for all involved. tom.
Thank you, my friend.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:16   #9430
BobInTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Thank you.

Yesterday turned out to be a 2 breathing attack day, and the fist one got pretty bad. Jeff's sister said during the second one "If there's anything I can do for you, just tell me and I'll do it". I told her to please shoot me. Turned out she lied. haha

It's worth having them every day to have been able to come up here, though. Well worth it. I'm proud to know you. too.

Yep, he is. He's got several health problems, but he's tough. I posted this a bit ago in my thread about him...

The news wasn't so good today. This from his sister's fb page,

"Keep your prayers up for Jeff. It's possible that the water and applesauce have been going into his lungs. He failed his swallowing test today, but he will have a camera evaluation monday morning. It is a surgical procedure, so pray hard, otherwise we are back to square one."

The big concerns here are than he may have pneumonia beginning in his lungs, and also that he may not regain enough ability to swallow that he could have the feeding tube removed in the future. If that's the case, he'd never be able to leave a nursing home, and that's not what he wants. We'll have more answers on Monday, but if the prognosis is bad, Jeff may choose to go back to the hospice. None of us would blame him, but we hope things get better between now and Monday. Please keep praying.

Thank you for that. I read that thread, and it's very nice.

Thank you, my friend.
I know you (and we) are all worried about Jeff. But you've got to take care of yourself, too.
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 23:18   #9431
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
I know you (and we) are all worried about Jeff. But you've got to take care of yourself, too.
I know. It's just not easy to get my mind off Jeff and his family right now. I got home this evening, and get chemo tomorrow. I really wish I could have stayed there longer, I'm worried and miss him and his family.

I'll try to write more tomorrow, I'm just down tonight.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-06-2012, 23:21   #9432
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Quote:
Exactly
Quote:
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24   #9433
BobInTX

Quote:
I know. It's just not easy to get my mind off Jeff and his family right now. I got home this evening, and get chemo tomorrow. I really wish I could have stayed there longer, I'm worried and miss him and his family.

I'll try to write more tomorrow, I'm just down tonight.
I know you must be. Maybe there's a way y'all can use Skype. I know he can't talk but at least he could see you, and vice versa.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:29   #9434
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 20:02   #9435
sawgrass

I'm glad that you are home safely.
Hang in there LW.
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 20:04   #9436
Osborne
NRA Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Old 08-07-2012, 22:56   #9437
Glock26girl
G26, G19

I like Bob's idea of your Skyping with Skiddoo and his family!

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Glock26girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 23:31   #9438
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDO View Post
back.

Quote:
I know you must be. Maybe there's a way y'all can use Skype. I know he can't talk but at least he could see you, and vice versa.
Wish something like was feasable, but it's not. I'm hoping he'll have internet and can use his computer soon, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
I'm glad that you are home safely.
Hang in there LW.
Thanks, I made it in one piece, although it didn't feel that way. These last couple days I just found myself shutting down and not able to think about much, except to update my thread about Jeff. The trip was emotionally and physically painful, but I'll never regret going. For all the pain and tears, it was good to see Jeff again and for him to know that me and others care. While I was there I read excerps from my thread about him, and passed on messages from GT'ers that were given to me privately to give him.

The trip up went pretty well, Delta worked with me, getting me a flight on very short notice. I had to get a ride to Atlanta, but that didn't turn out bad. The airline sent an electric cart to carry me from the underground train to my gate, so I didn't have to try to walk all that distance. For the return trip I connected in Atlanta, and when I got off the plane there I saw that I was leaving from the same gate in an hour. So I walked across the aisle to the Sam Adams place to buy a beer to cry in.

I'll never forget when I first got to the hospice, for just a second I wasn't sure Jeff recognized me. By then I'd pretty much accepted that he was going to die, and had cried rivers about it. His sister had accepted that he'd made that choice, too, and I could tell how much it hurt her, too. She told he he hadn't cried at all, but as soon as I went to him and put my arms around him with my head on his shoulder his floodgates opened. Of course mine did, too. I'm crying again just writing this.

We stayed with him most of that evening, except to go eat, then we both stayed in the hospice room with him. Sis slept like a log in the recliner, I stayed in the fold-out bed. Of course I had Mandy and my nightmares to keep me company, that's the norm. The next morning I was still laying on the bed and I asked Jeff if he was ready for his morning hug. Instead of the thumbs-up I expected, he waved me over rather decisively. His sister laughed and said "I think that's a yes".

It was later that morning that we went back into his room after having to leave for a while that we found his crying and looking distressed. Sis asked if he'd changed his mind and wanted to try to live, and he gave a thumbs-up. She called in the hospice nurse, who asked Jeff the same questions, then started making the arrangements to get him to Charleston General to start his care. She and I talked about our concerns later, mainly the fear that he might not be able to recover enough to have some quality of life, and might come to regret his decision. I hope and pray that doesn't happen, that he's able to enjoy life again.

She stayed with him his first night back at the hospital, and I stayed the next 2. We took turns making sure he was being taken care of, some of the medical staff seemed to need 'encouragement' to do for Jeff. It was really hard to say good-bye, but I had no choice. I was 5 days late taking a chemo dose, I couldn't wait any longer. It's been such an emotional overload that I'm still a basket case. My chest is still complaining, but who cares.

I can't thank all of you enough who've given me moral support during this time, it's really helped. I even had one person offer to pay for my plane tickets, since I'm on disability income, what a thoughtful thing to do. I know now I got to shift gears somewhat, back to beating this cancer, the nightmares and PTSD, and healing in general. Friends like Jeff and you folks are making all the difference there.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-10-2012, 08:24   #9439
BobInTX

I'm so glad you were able to go. You know I'm praying for you both.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03   #9440
BobInTX

Old 08-13-2012, 21:30   #9441
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
I'm so glad you were able to go. You know I'm praying for you both.
Thanks, I think we both need it. I've kept my mind on Jeff as much as I can. I'm worried about him, plus it helps me keep my mind off my own crap a little.

Quote:
: and back. I haven't said much, because I don't have much to say. Same hurting chest, same nightmares, same feeling like s*** from the chemo. I can picture Greg thinking "I ran out and got myself killed for THAT?!?"

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-13-2012, 21:36   #9442
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Thanks, I think we both need it. I've kept my mind on Jeff as much as I can. I'm worried about him, plus it helps me keep my mind off my own crap a little.

: and back. I haven't said much, because I don't have much to say. Same hurting chest, same nightmares, same feeling like s*** from the chemo. I can picture Greg thinking "I ran out and got myself killed for THAT?!?"
Or rather, so that you can help keep Jeff going? I'd say that's worth it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:19   #9443
BobInTX

Quote:

I don't think Greg is disappointed in the least. My goodness, woman, you continued to serve your country feeling like s*** from being shot until this awful cancer made you leave and now you are fighting for your life again. Cut yourself some slack!

You know how you're worried about Jeff? Yeah, that's the way he is worried about you. I was going to say that's the way we are worried too, but I guess it's not the same since we don't know you in real life, with a few exceptions. But we do worry. God knows you IRL, so we pray. It's not the least we can do, it's the most.
Old 08-18-2012, 13:00   #9444
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Or rather, so that you can help keep Jeff going? I'd say that's worth it to me.
It seems I'm not even doing a very good job of that right now.

Quote:
I don't think Greg is disappointed in the least. My goodness, woman, you continued to serve your country feeling like s*** from being shot until this awful cancer made you leave and now you are fighting for your life again. Cut yourself some slack!

You know how you're worried about Jeff? Yeah, that's the way he is worried about you. I was going to say that's the way we are worried too, but I guess it's not the same since we don't know you in real life, with a few exceptions. But we do worry. God knows you IRL, so we pray. It's not the least we can do, it's the most.
He probably wonders why I haven't gotten better still have nightmares, can't really do anything productive, etc. I guess I just figure I owe him better than I've given.

Yeah, I know he's worried about me, although he's sure got his own problems right now. As I posted last night in my thread about him, he's back in the ER with some rather serious problems, and needs prayers and good thoughts. I could tell he was upset when I nodded off one night in the hospital and went straight into a nightmare. He couldn't talk of course, and could only move one arm, but he was trying to reach over to me to comfort me as much as he could.

You may not have met me yet, but I think you know me pretty well. Doesn't mean I don't still want to meet you and your family (including Emily), along with some others from in here. I'm always grateful for the prayers and good thoughts. I could sure use some now, this has been a rough week.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-18-2012, 13:07   #9445
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

L_W

Don't make me come to Georgia & put my foot in your azz!

We've been through all this before, Greg did what he did because
that was just what he did. It's what many of us would have done.
I'm sure he is damn proud of you. You have faced a hell of a lot.
Much too much for one person. We all think about you and send
prayers daily. Please keep your spirits up, we need your encouragement.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 13:10   #9446
RottnJP
Lifetime Membership

Oh Honey, big gentle karmic hug, & karmic shoulder...
Outpost Member #69.14159
RottnJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 14:42   #9447
sawgrass

Hand in there girl. You have proven over and over how strong you are. I'm sorry that things are as hard as they are right now. LW try and stay positive. Is that little dog still around to give you some good doggie licks? Chloe said her belly is still free any time that you want to rub it. She's laying on her back with all four feet up in the air on the couch beside me right now.
Old 08-18-2012, 23:21   #9448
sawgrass

LW I won't pretend to understand how you feel right now with all that you are faced with. I didn't want to post this in Jeff's thread with its intention of better health.

Forgive me if this is also inappropriate.

My Mom and Stepdad have guardianship over his 54 yr old sister. She has recently been placed in a nursing home because she became insulin dependent. I don't know the pc term to identify her, but as long as she gets new crayons, a coloring book and an occasional Barbie she is a pretty happy person. I love her with all of my heart.

In the last 24 hrs she has been sent to the hospital with her BP 200+ over the upper 190+. The first time once my Mom could go back to the treatment area she figured out that something wasn't right. Well the nursing home sent someone elses chart in the ambulance. She is in a place that one of our current national politician's mother is her next door neighbor. Evidently you can't even buy quality care. This woman's parents left the sale of their property in a trust for her in hopes that someone would take care of her. I read Jeff's thread and I read yours added to this nonsense and it really pisses me off. It's sad that people who for whatever reason can't speak for themselves aren't taken care of. It's wrong on so many levels. The folks who were taking care of this woman previously weren't really doing it either. Mom and her husband stepped in because there were obvious problems that needed attention. That turned out to be ovarian cancer. They finished with the surgery and treatment for that recently.

Last edited by sawgrass; 08-19-2012 at 07:25.. Reason: clarity
Old 08-19-2012, 20:39   #9449
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:

Those of us that know her are worried about her also. I agree with you that she needs to give herself more credit than she does.

Quote:
Don't make me come to Georgia & put my foot in your azz!

We've been through all this before, Greg did what he did because
that was just what he did. It's what many of us would have done.
I'm sure he is damn proud of you. You have faced a hell of a lot.
Much too much for one person. We all think about you and send
prayers daily. Please keep your spirits up, we need your encouragement.
Thank you for posting this. I think Greg would be proud of her too. He must have been especially proud when she saved a life two years ago. Please do come down here and put your foot in her ass if she needs it.

Quote:
He probably wonders why I haven't gotten better still have nightmares, can't really do anything productive, etc. I guess I just figure I owe him better than I've given.
Wolfe there are times I have wondered that but you need to remember that it was a miracle that you even survived. Then think about all you have had to endure since then. I think you are doing as well as could be expected considering all of that.

sawgrass your family is in my prayers.
In real life I'm an *** hole with a gun. :supergrin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, I’m mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35   #9450
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

I posted this latest update in the thread I started about Jeff,

"Jeff is not doing well at all. I am trying to get him into a Nursing Home in Beckley, where he has a chance of getting therapy, for real! He still has a bladder infection and is very weak now. I am praying that God will give us a much better place this time, that can actually help him. The plan is to get him to walking and swallowing again so he can live with us, until he is ready to live on his own again. I don't know if that is going to happen or not. I can't take care of him until he can walk and eat and I'm not sure if he has the strength or the will to get there or not. He is miserable and he is living his worst nightmare. My heart is just broken for him and for myself. I love him so much. Please pray for him to get stronger and to get the will to try again."

Then I found myself crying for the last few hours.I knkw I'm crying for Jeff and what he's going through, but there's also a selfish side to the pain I feel. I don't make friends easily at all, in fact I can count my true friends on one hand. I can count the number of people who love me unconditionally on one hand, without the thumb, and have fingers left over. Jeff, the friend I'm staying with, and in her own way, Silent_Runner.

As much as it hurts to think of what Jeff is going through right now, the part of me that knows I might lose one of the best friends I ever had is just crying. He loves me unconditionally even when I can't love back, or even love myself. There are times I took his friendship for granted, but never doubted that it would remain. He wanted even more of a relationship with me, and when that didn't happen, he accepted it and loved me as a friend, without hesitation.

I know right now he's the one fighting for his life, and with an uphill battle, and it might be selfish of me to be thinking of myself right now, but I am. The pain of possibly losing one of the few friends I have is so bad I can't stand it, and it's been real hard to type this when I can barely see the screen.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!