SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2011, 22:35   #7421
BobInTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Hell, it's 110 today and it's been over 100 every day for the past couple weeks. Want to come visit me here?

Actually you got a out of me.

Thank you my friend. You're right, it's not.

I felt really stoned on the meds. When I wrote most of that I was so doped up that I really couldn't 'feel' anything, so I was just trying to make it a little funny.

As for the chest it feels like............... never mind, you know what it feels like!

Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've seen a Lily of the Valley?!?! And I can't wait to see the pics of those irises in bloom. Some of my favorite flowers there.

True, and I'll take any improvement at all right now. This **** hurts!

Yep, they sure did. Probably even affected what I wrote tonight, since I'm still pretty doped up. Trouble is, I can't seem to get loosened up this time, so it's a little dry. Oh well, here goes........

Well hello again, once again my name is Greg. I supposed you remember me as the guy who tried to get to your friend Wolfe after she got shot. Last time you brought me here to tell my tale I died again at the end of it, but here I am again. Does this mean I get to stay alive this time?

I met Wolfe at a small base in Afghanistan in 2008 when I was on what was planned to be my last deployment before retiring. I knew Iíd miss the Army, but not craphole bases like this one we were stuck on. Wolfe was trying to fly off the base to a different one with some gear, I just wanted to get back to my home base. We were both at the excuse for a flight line that was there, waiting for choppers when we were told that the flight was cancelled because of a problem with one of the birds. Wolfe was starting to drag her junk back to a tent when I heard someone tell her that they might be able to run a convoy to get her to the next base. I think they just wanted her off the base because she drank almost as much coffee as I did. I got word a little later that sheíd gotten her commandís blessing to go, so I decided to go to the base where the choppers were. I knew if I helped them get the thing flying again I could probably get on it. Sometimes being a mechanic can be handy.

I went into a tent and saw her making coffee, so I went over to help her drink it. I told her Iíd be riding along on the convoy and she seemed to like the idea, so we hung out for a few hours waiting to go. She either liked my sense of humor or pretended to, so we traded jokes and politically incorrect stories there and on the ride. We met the crew on the convoy, got a safety briefing and got all loaded up and ready to go. Wolfe and I rode in the same MRAP, and we discovered how her being short was an advantage. She didnít hit her head on the roof when she was bounced against the seatbelts by the driver trying to drive in and out of holes in the road the size of Atlanta. We rode for a couple hours, trading BS and laughing when the locals decided to blow us up. At least they tried, no one got hurt. I started expressing my opinion of them in no uncertain terms. Wolfe let out a pretty impressive blue streak. Then I showed her how itís really done. Once we all curled the paint inside the vehicle we waited while the driver and convoy commander tried to get us moving again, but no joy.
Hmmm....
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 22:43   #7422
BobInTX

Sawgrass, we have 3 A/C units at our house. Before we left home I found that one was working. Compressor won't come on. I turned it off. You want to come fix it? It's a little warm in the kitchen. Glad it's not our bedroom. No seriously, we have home warranty. Unfortunately, we are driving back to dfw tomorrow to get our truck. I know, it's stupid, but we get to see our ft worth grandkids. Our grandson that lives here met us at the airport since we didn't have a car at the airport. He ran all the way to see me. Anyway I'll have to wait til Tuesday to get it fixed.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34   #7423
sawgrass

I didn't comment on your 'writing' because I wanted to see if I felt the same way this am. The difference between the first time and now has me wondering what's going on. I hope your ability to write with a humorous note means that you have found a tolerable place for your feelings regarding Greg's death. I gotta say though Lone_Wolfe part of me wonders that if the 'tone' is due to the increased pain meds., the recent procedure and your inability to sleep. Whatever it is, LW hang in there and keep the demons at bay. We love you Wolfe. The losses that you have suffered are not unrecognized this Memorial Day weekend.

Bob I hope you get someone out asap. You guys will have to camp out in the bedroom. It's 59 and rainy here. I have on a light jacket.

ETA: Bob my uncle said it hit 109 there yesterday! If you want to chat about your AC call me. I'll email you my cell #.

Last edited by sawgrass; 05-29-2011 at 09:22..
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:17   #7424
engineer151515

Old 05-29-2011, 10:20   #7425
sawgrass

First Flowers!

Last edited by sawgrass; 06-16-2011 at 19:36..
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:52   #7426
B. Somm
CLM Number 175
Lady B/Team OAF

Send a message via ICQ to B. Somm Send a message via AIM to B. Somm Send a message via Yahoo to B. Somm

Just popping in to say howdy and to let you know that I've been thinking about you...which is quite often! I your latest surgery helps with your pain!

Big hugs!
B.

P.S. Sawgrass: I too enjoyed the Lily of the Valley pic! I haven't seen them in a long time and have always like them when I lived in Ohio!

GSSF/Niner #141/Big Dawg #117/Grand Canyon Glockers #9/FM Lodge #50 and OAF #918
B. Somm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 18:35   #7427
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Somm View Post
Just popping in to say howdy and to let you know that I've been thinking about you...which is quite often! I your latest surgery helps with your pain!

Big hugs!
B.
Hiya B!!!! Where you been? I've missed you.

And thank you, I hope it does too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
: patriot: : patriot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
Those temps sound miserable. Do you need some more Emergen-C for your water? I remember how much you like it.: supergrin:

Maybe if we could get out of the 50-60's something might bloom. The little iris are called 'Flight of Butterflies'. The bigger ones are some kind of bearded iris but I don't know their names. We have peonies that are close too. Yesterday we planted zucchini, summer squash, okra, turnips, radishes, onions, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, eggplant and basil. At this rate it might snow before any of it comes in.: shocked:

Each little rose bush has one bud on it. I ran out of GT photo space.

I hope your chest feels better soon.

I love those Irises now, please take more pics! Set yourself up a photobucket account so you don't have to go back and delete your pics all the time. I love looking back at stuff you've posted before.

Yesterday I asked my doc when my chest was going to stop hurting. He said "When you die". I asked if that could be arranged. He wasn't amused, but said he understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
Hmmm....
Yes?......... You trying to say something?.....................

Quote:
I didn't comment on your 'writing' because I wanted to see if I felt the same way this am. The difference between the first time and now has me wondering what's going on. I hope your ability to write with a humorous note means that you have found a tolerable place for your feelings regarding Greg's death. I gotta say though Lone_Wolfe part of me wonders that if the 'tone' is due to the increased pain meds., the recent procedure and your inability to sleep. Whatever it is, LW hang in there and keep the demons at bay. We love you Wolfe. The losses that you have suffered are not unrecognized this Memorial Day weekend.

I'd say the latter on the changed tone, although I think I'm making progress toward finding a way to handle the pain and guilt. I showed what I wrote to my shrink today and he said I was hiding behind humor to avoid feeling anything. I asked him what he thought I could feel as doped up as I been lately. He commented that I've been doped up 24/7 for 2 1/2 years, but he understood what I meant because of what they've been giving me lately.

Those demons have been hanging around, knocking on my door, whispering in my ear, I keep telling them to **** off, but they come back. And thank you, I love all of you too. Happy Memorial Day.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 18:42   #7428
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

I decided to post this separate so I could also post a tribute to Greg in the same post. I remember last year I posted Greg's story on Memorial Day, this time I'm posting it the day before, although it's actually Memorial Day here already.

Okie Memorial Area

Here's the whole thing as I've written in the last couple days......

Well hello again, once again my name is Greg. I supposed you remember me as the guy who tried to get to your friend Wolfe after she got shot. Last time you brought me here to tell my tale I died again at the end of it, but here I am again. Does this mean I get to stay alive this time?

I met Wolfe at a small base in Afghanistan in 2008 when I was on what was planned to be my last deployment before retiring. I knew Iíd miss the Army, but not craphole bases like this one I was stuck on. Wolfe was trying to fly off the base to a different one with some gear, I just wanted to get back to my home base. We were both at the excuse for a flight line that was there, waiting for choppers when we were told that the flight was cancelled because of a problem with one of the birds. Wolfe was starting to drag her junk back to a tent when I heard someone tell her that they might be able to run a convoy to get her to the next base. I think they just wanted her off the base because she drank almost as much coffee as I did. I got word a little later that sheíd gotten her commandís blessing to go, so I decided to go to the base where the choppers were. I knew if I helped them get the thing flying again I could probably get on it. Sometimes being a mechanic can be handy.

I went into a tent and saw her making coffee, so I went over to help her drink it. I told her Iíd be riding along on the convoy and she seemed to like the idea, so we hung out for a few hours waiting to go. She either liked my sense of humor or pretended to, so we traded jokes and politically incorrect stories there and on the ride. We met the crew on the convoy, got a safety briefing and got all loaded up and ready to go. Wolfe and I rode in the same MRAP, and we discovered how her being short was an advantage. She didnít hit her head on the roof when she was bounced against the seatbelts by the driver trying to drive in and out of holes in the road the size of Atlanta. We rode for a couple hours, trading BS and laughing when the locals decided to blow us up. At least they tried, no one got hurt. I started expressing my opinion of them in no uncertain terms. Wolfe let out a pretty impressive blue streak. Then I showed her how itís really done. Once we all curled the paint inside the vehicle we waited while the driver and convoy commander tried to get us moving again, but no joy.

The convoy commander told us we were going to have to abandon ship, and had the Grunts jump out and form a perimeter around all 3 vehicles. There were rock formations all around us, on one side they were higher than the vehicles we were in. The plan was for Wolfe and me to run to some big rocks near the front of the rear vehicle, hide behind then until given the signal to run the rest of the way to the rear vehicle and get in. The plan worked great for me, but not so well for Wolfe. On command we readied our weapons and made for the rocks. I was closer to the door, so I ran first. Wolfe was only a few behind me for the first half of the run, but some hajjis stuck AKís out from behind more rocks near the back of the rear vehicle and made a lead deposit to Wolfeís chest and piled her up in her tracks. So I was down behind the rocks watching 2 guys take on a dozen grunts and gunners. A third hajji was hidden near the spot where Wolfe was taking her nap, and he proved hard to get. The 2 at the back were taken out quickly enough, but #3 was keeping us all pinned down so no one could get to Wolfe. She wasnít moving, for all I knew she was dead, but I decided to go find out. I ran toward her and #3 saw me break cover and started shooting me. I guess that means I donít get to stay alive this time either.

RIP Greg

Okie Memorial Area

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-29-2011, 19:30   #7429
BobInTX

^^^ yeah, what your shrink said.

Old 05-29-2011, 20:12   #7430
23skidoo
Deceased

That was a great tribute to Greg Sweetheart.
Old 05-29-2011, 21:24   #7431
engineer151515

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
yes.

<<< worries about you.

Last edited by engineer151515; 05-29-2011 at 21:37..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 22:57   #7432
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Wolfe,

Greg was a warrior. What he did in effort to help you was flatly heroic nothing less. However, in the end it was his choice. You did nothing wrong and Greg did nothing wrong.

Find peace soon, you deserve as much.

I also hope your physical pain leaves you ASAP.

Thank you for your service. I thank Greg for his as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:49   #7433
sawgrass

Lone_Wolfe you are in my thoughts this Memorial Day. There is all kinds of loss and much to be reflected upon. Soft hugs and comforting words. Thank you for being an American Soldier.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:53   #7434
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Wolfe,

Greg was a warrior. What he did in effort to help you was flatly heroic nothing less. However, in the end it was his choice. You did nothing wrong and Greg did nothing wrong.

This sums it up very well. Greg is a hero for the choices he made and you would have done the same for him.

Quote:
I decided to post this separate so I could also post a tribute to Greg in the same post. I remember last year I posted Greg's story on Memorial Day, this time I'm posting it the day before, although it's actually Memorial Day here already.

Okie Memorial Area

RIP Greg

Okie Memorial Area
Wolfe that was well written and Greg would be proud. I have no doubt he is very proud of you for fighting the battle to recover that you have. You are making us all proud. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Thank you to all service members and veterans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, Iím mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 17:48   #7435
BobInTX

I think the way you have fought for your life personifies the spirit of the American soldier and it is to that spirit of the service people who have fought, and died, for our freedom since 1775 that we pay tribute today.
Old 05-30-2011, 17:59   #7436
sawgrass

Quote:
I think the way you have fought for your life personifies the spirit of the American soldier .

LW heard (read) that today? Eventhough you haven't answered my pm.
Bob you and I think a lot alike. As different as we are, that makes me .
Old 05-30-2011, 18:19   #7437
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
I think the way you have fought for your life personifies the spirit of the American soldier and it is to that spirit of the service people who have fought, and died, for our freedom since 1775 that we pay tribute today.
I was just (re) writing my reply to sawgrass about the same thing. I've never considered myself much of an example for anyone else, but I'm trying to see where your coming from. I'm just thinking how ready I've been to give up so many times.

Sometimes I think the reason I haven't is because so many people won't let me. Not to mention what some of you folks would do to me.

Quote:
LW heard (read) that today? Eventhough you haven't answered my pm.
Bob you and I think a lot alike. As different as we are, that makes me .
Actually I did answer your PM, and when I tried to send it hajji-net ate it.

I think you 2 just talk about me, that's why you think alike.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-30-2011, 18:50   #7438
sawgrass

Quote:
I was just (re) writing my reply to sawgrass about the same thing. I've never considered myself much of an example for anyone else, but I'm trying to see where your coming from. I'm just thinking how ready I've been to give up so many times.

Sometimes I think the reason I haven't is because so many people won't let me. Not to mention what some of you folks would do to me.

Actually I did answer your PM, and when I tried to send it hajji-net ate it.

I think you 2 just talk about me, that's why you think alike.
You know better than that. I don't discuss you. I'm very clear how important your privacy is to you and I respect that.
Old 05-30-2011, 19:23   #7439
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

I know and I appreiciate that, but I couldn't resist the opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
Thank you. Okie Memorial Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
yes.

: hugs:: hugs:

<<< worries about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Runner View Post
This sums it up very well. Greg is a hero for the choices he made and you would have done the same for him.
I like to think I would have, anyway.

Wolfe that was well written and Greg would be proud. I have no doubt he is very proud of you for fighting the battle to recover that you have. You are making us all proud. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.: patriot:
You're welcome.

Thank you to all service members and veterans.
^^^ This. Thank you to all who are serving, have served or will serve.

Quote:
Lone_Wolfe you are in my thoughts this Memorial Day. There is all kinds of loss and much to be reflected upon. Soft hugs and comforting words. Thank you for being an American Soldier.
Thank you for that, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Wolfe,

True, he's a hero in every sense of the word that I know. I find myself second guessing him a lot, but that's because I know the outcome.

I'd like to have peace and no or even less pain. Thank you.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by Lone_Wolfe; 05-30-2011 at 19:26..
Old 05-30-2011, 20:04   #7440
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
True, he's a hero in every sense of the word that I know. I find myself second guessing him a lot, but that's because I know the outcome.

I'd like to have peace and no or even less pain. Thank you.
My battle hardened uncle gave me a great tidbit of advice before I was deployed. In his words -

"The only thing that typically makes the difference between bravery and stupidity, is the Outcome." - Uncle Tom N.

After some experience of my own, that statement has made a lot of sense and many times has helped me accept the outcome off many things.

That being said, I hope you are feeling better. Tell Hadji I said hi.

Last edited by gemeinschaft; 05-30-2011 at 20:10..
gemeinschaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!