GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2011, 15:49   #7476
BobInTX

I've had a project at work to deal with too, that's finished. So I think over the next few days we can start working on those assignments again. Okay?
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 16:08   #7477
BobInTX

But first, a repeat of an old classic post of mine, regarding treatment of your dead attackers, who for some reason aren't dead and can't seem to die now:

BIT: I would like to bury them on the beach with their heads sticking out.

At low tide.

Wolfe: That's a good start. Go on........

BIT: First we make them listen to Barry Manilow and Britney Spears records. Then we put dirty panties on their heads. I hear that is real torture for terrorists. Then a thunderous herd of horses comes down the beach and tramples their heads. Then fireants show up and sting their heads and go into their noses and ears. Then seagulls show up and start pecking their heads to get the fireants. Then the crabs come out and start feeding on their heads and poking their eyeballs. Then the tide starts rising. The jellyfish come up and sting their heads. Then the horses come back and pee on their heads, which ironically helps ease the pain of the jellyfish stings. Then, before the tide gets too high and actually kills them, we dig them up.

Then we put them in an old car. We've got Manilow and Spears playing on the radio again. Then we put in a tape of Barack Obama speeches. I know they agree with him but it's torture just to listen to him. Then we tow the car down the beach, where we have placed a dozen claymore mines. The car hits every one. Now we tie them with bungee cords between two coconut trees with their arms and legs extended. We put body armor on them. Then we get an AK 47 and we take turns shooting them in the chest and yell "How's that feel? Huh?". Then we take what's left of the body armor off. Then the horses come back and take turns farting in their faces and donkey kicking them in the chest. They spring back and forth like a sling shot because of the bungees.

Then we strip them naked, untie them and wrap their chests really tight with rubber sheeting so they can barely breathe. Then we make them run 5 miles down the beach holding an unloaded AK above their heads while shouting "My father was a hog". Oops. There were more claymores on the beach. Boom! Boom! Boom!

Then we put them in a room with a shrink who makes them talk about their sexual addiction to goats, and keeps asking "how does that make you feel?" Then the shrink gives them LSD and a flashlight, turns off the lights and leaves the room. Then 15 minutes later we open the door, throw in 100 tarantulas, 50 camel spiders, and 25 rattlesnakes, and slam the door.

After two hours, we open the door and let them come out screaming. Then we take them back to the beach and bury them up to their heads again. Then the GT posse descends on them and beats the crap out of their heads with canes, bats, crow bars, golf clubs, gun stocks, hockey sticks, fence posts and batons. Then we all step back.

Now Lone_Wolfe walks up to them and spits in their faces.She pulls out two humongous revolvers and pulls the hammers back while pointing them at the human scum that shot her and the low life that killed Greg. The scum are crying "Please kill us"! Lone_Wolfe scowls, says "You bastards are not worth the price of a bullet", hands Silent_Runner her guns and says "take care of my babies", throws Greg's dogtags in the ocean and walks away smiling slyly as the tide slowly comes in.

CUE "Top Gun" movie theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWLFD0EupvI (Wolfe this is a short one, maybe you can see it.

Last edited by BobInTX; 06-07-2011 at 19:42..
Old 06-07-2011, 16:19   #7478
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post

I am too, and I'm jealous I can join them. I'd love to meet MrsKitty and Eyescream too. Maybe someday.

Forgetting someone, ain'tcha?
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 20:34   #7479
23skidoo
Deceased

Hi Sweetheart! I hope your new sleep cocktail works great and that your pain eases up.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:49   #7480
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
Hi Sweetheart! I hope your new sleep cocktail works great and that your pain eases up.
It's still working fairly well, and the pain is better than it was, altough still far from eased up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Forgetting someone, ain'tcha? : fist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
But first, a repeat of an old classic post of mine, regarding treatment of your dead attackers, who for some reason aren't dead and can't seem to die now:

BIT: I would like to bury them on the beach with their heads sticking out.

At low tide..............

That's still hilarious, and I'm glad you used the version where I didn't throw Silent_Runner's guns in the drink!

Quote:
I've had a project at work to deal with too, that's finished. So I think over the next few days we can start working on those assignments again. Okay?
I have the feeling if I say it's not OK you'll make me do them anyway. Or my shrink will get out a bat and make sure I do......

Yeah, let's go ahead and get it over with.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24   #7481
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Forgetting someone, ain'tcha?
Wolfe you are in big trouble now.

Quote:
I think many of us hope for this.

Quote:
That's still hilarious, and I'm glad you used the version where I didn't throw Silent_Runner's guns in the drink!

I have the feeling if I say it's not OK you'll make me do them anyway. Or my shrink will get out a bat and make sure I do......

Yeah, let's go ahead and get it over with.
You had better not throw my guns in the ocean! You would need surgery on more parts of you body than just your chest.

Yes we will make you do the writing anyway so you have the right attitude here.
In real life I'm an *** hole with a gun. :supergrin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, I’m mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 14:20   #7482
BobInTX

Bookmark

I took the liberty of taking the two versions of your story and Greg's story and combining them into one, since they each had details the other did not. I also took some of the answers you gave to the questions I asked and incorporated them into the story. And I threw in some other items you posted different places, as well.

This Side of a Tombstone

The Story of Lone Wolfe

By

XXXX XXXXXXX

I waited 5 years after 9/11 to go back into the military. All that time I supported our military as best I could, and talked the talk I guess. But then one day it was bugging me that I felt like I wasn't really doing anything, in spite of having lost a cousin in the north tower. I was thinking about that while I was walking through a mall and happened up on a recruiter who had a table set up. I walked over to her and talked to her a little, then said I was probably too old. She asked my age, how much time I had in from before, and what my ASVAB score had been when I went in years ago. I told her all that and she said she could get the age waivered. I went to Ft. Huachuca a few months later and deployed to Afghanistan as an E-5 a year and a half after that, in 2008.

A month into my tour, I was asked to go on a mission to install and configure some computers and equipment to 2 remote bases. I was told to travel only by air because of IED risks on convoys. I traveled to the first base OK and got the first round of equipment up and running.
Then I was ready to go on to the next base with the last set of equipment. I was geared up and waiting at the flight line, which was just a sandy clearing, like a good little sergeant. I was BS’ing with some others at the base. Then an E-4 walked over and told the group that the choppers weren’t coming that day, or any day soon. I thought “****! Crap! Damn, stuck on this ****hole base. Oh well, might as well put my gear away and chill out.”

I start to drag my duffel bag and IBA back to the tent I’d been staying in when a Captain stationed at that craphole asked what base I needed to go to. When I told him he offered me convoy transport to my next base. I explained that I was expressly prohibited from using ground transportation. I thought about it for a second and decided to call my commander in Bagram and ask if it would be OK. So I called back to the flagpole and convinced my commander to bless me going on the convoy.

I got permission to use a secure line and made the call. The first person I asked, the Major, said no at first, then waffled a bit and said only the Colonel could waive the rule, so I asked if I could talk to him. The major seemed happy to hand the phone off.

I was surprised when the Colonel relented. He must have been afraid I’d get stuck there all winter because the snow might ground choppers a lot.

I reported back to the Captain. He told me to hang loose and wait for confirmation. So I did what comes naturally.

I thought “Guess I have to wait and see if it’s a go on this end. Oh well, till then I’m getting coffee. They got real good coffee right over here…” Some kind soul Stateside had sent some Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla flavored coffee, so I was happy. I love the stuff.
It’s cool outside, but sunny and little wind, so I’m OK. It’s plenty warm in the tent.

A bit later, the Captain walks in and says “It’s a go”. I thought “Ok, good. It may take longer to get there, but it won’t be cold like it would be in a chopper.”

About then a few more people walk in and pour themselves some liquid ambition. A senior NCO, that I had seen before but not spoken to, walks over and helps me glower at the coffee pot for being too slow.

“Hi, I’m hitching a ride on your convoy!”

I did what comes naturally when faced with a nice looking guy with a nice smile. I thought “Hell, yeah!” but said “Cool! Which ‘RAP will you be riding in?”

Greg answered “Most likely the 2nd one, same as you.”

I said “Even cooler”.

We walked outside to the staging area. We got to talking and drinking too much coffee. We waited around and traded jokes and politically incorrect stories for a few hours to pass the time until it was time for our briefing and to load up.

“I get to ride along with a good-looking guy! Cool! He’s real nice and has a sense of humor too, even better.”

The convoy team started to assemble and the convoy commander came over and identified himself. A medic with a cigarette dangling from his mouth walked over. Greg asked if he’s going to be the medic for the convoy and he said he was.

I said “Well, nice to meet you, I don’t intend to need your services.”

The medic seemed arrogant and said “Good. I only slept 3 hours last night and I don’t want to do ****!” as he walked off.

I thought “What an asshat! Sure hope I don’t break anything. He’d probably push me out the back and tell the driver to keep going.”

The convoy commander said that he’s a real jerk, but by far the best medic in the unit, and has had a lot of training beyond what the Army provides.

I thought “If the convoy commander agrees with me, then I guess he’s like that a lot. Oh well, I doubt I’ll even have to talk to him.”

This was the guy who would later see me topless, and would prove to me just how good a medic he was.

I, Greg, and another E-6 got more coffee and hung around by my equipment waiting as the convoy crew readied the vehicles. A couple of soldiers came for my 2 cases of equipment and I asked for them to be put on the same vehicle that I would be in. They were not big and the vehicles would be mostly empty so that’s easily accommodated. I figured since I was responsible for my equipment I should keep it in the same vehicle as me.

Finally the convoy commander called the safety briefing, and then told us we’dl be mounting up in about a half hour. Greg and I went and got a sandwich. I think mine was mystery meat with mayo and mustard. Then it was time to mount up.

It’s about noon now. Convoy loads up, convoy rolls out. My new friend Greg and I were in the second of three MRAP’s. The vehicle smelled of oil and fuel, but the heaters worked well and kept us warm. The windows are tiny and dirty so I couldn’t see much outside.

We sat next to each other in the mostly empty vehicle trading stories and bad jokes about the so-called road we were on. It was a bumpy ride over dirt roads that were planned by goat farmers. The terrain was fairly flat, rocky and barren. Sometimes there’s initiation pavement, sometimes, well, that description violates the TOS. I swear the driver was trying to see how many heads he could bounce off an MRAP’s roof at times, but he was having to drive in and out of holes in the road the size of Atlanta. Being short turned out to be an advantage for me.

Greg was a helicopter mechanic for Uncle Sam. This was his last deployment before retiring. He knew he’d miss the Army, but not craphole bases like this one we were stuck on. He had come to my remote base in Afghanistan and just wanted to get back to his home base at Kabul. He was about my age, medium height, with brown hair, and was nice looking.

He showed up at the same excuse for a flightline as me on the morning that a pair of choppers was supposed to come through on their ring route. That just means they fly in a big circle stopping to drop off and pick up at several bases in a day. The person in charge of the flightline had told him the flight was cancelled because of a malfunction of one of the birds on an early stop. Later, the flightline NCOIC told him a convoy was being run to move me to the base I needed to take the gear to, and would also go to the base with the down chopper, and asked if he would like to go since he could get to Kabul if they got the chopper fixed. He said he knew if he helped them get the thing flying again he could probably get on it. Sometimes being a mechanic can be handy. He said they just wanted me off the base because I drank almost as much coffee as he did.

About two hours of travel down the road and a lot of bumps later a loud boom shook our vehicle. It was not the last one I would hear, but it stopped us in our tracks. Mr. Convoy, meet Mr. IED. The cabin seal wasn’t breached, so all I could smell was the dust that had been disturbed by the blast. My ears weren’t even ringing. The vehicle design did its job well, and after the initial surprise wore off we called out to each other and realized we were all ok except for our blood pressure, although some ears may have been singed by the cloud of cuss words that formed inside. Now I’m pissed because we’ll be late as hell getting to the next base.

Greg cussed. I cussed. Greg cussed some more. I realized my vocabulary and use of creative metaphors in describing the IED maker’s hygiene habits, parentage, and sexual preferences was second only to Greg’s. By the time Greg finished cussing their parentage had gotten pretty dubious. We congratulated each other on the rich vocabularies each used when referring to the citizens of Afghanistan.

The driver, TC, and others cussed also, but none of the cussing gets us moving again. So it’s time to abandon ship. The other vehicles in the convoy were pulled closer and we were told we were going to evacuate to the 3rd vehicle on the convoy commander’s command.

There were rock formations all around us, on one side they were higher than the vehicles we were in. The ground pounders were sent to form a perimeter, and they and the topside gunners didn’t see anyone around. After a couple minutes we were given the all-clear.

Instructions were radioed back and forth, and the convoy commander told Greg and I to run on his command to a group of large rocks between the two vehicles, then wait for his command to run to the 3rd vehicle and get in. It was about 20 to 25 feet to the rocks from the MRAP.

We locked and loaded, Greg with his pistol and me my rifle, and waited.
We got the command. Greg was closer to the back door, so he hauled ass with me a few feet behind. It’s hard to run with all my gear on and carrying my rifle, but adrenalin helps to run my fastest. Not fast enough, though. Unknown to anyone there were two Afghanis behind some rocks behind the 3rd MRAP, about 50 feet or so from where Greg and I were running.

They both jumped up from behind the cover, pointed AK’s at me and let fly. Greg was almost there and dove behind the rocks, but I was too far away and never had a chance to react. They nailed me right in the center of the chest by one of the first rounds fired, but Greg made it to cover. I went down hard like a sack of spuds, slammed backward and spun around by the force of impact and landed facing the way I came on my stomach.

I was wearing body armor, which did its job, but the force of the impact severely damaged my chest and caused both of my lungs to collapse.
The grunts on guard and the gunners immediately returned fire and plenty of bullets were traded by both sides. I heard Greg yell my name once, but I couldn’t breathe or move at all.

I only heard about the first half minute or so of shooting and shouting, because I decided the middle of the road in the line of fire was a good place to take a nap. So I passed out. The last thing I remember was that I was relieved I was about to die so this pain could end.

Greg had been told to stay behind cover until told to move, so he did. He watched two guys take on a dozen grunts and gunners. A 3rd hajji was hidden behind some rocks that were alongside of us near the spot where I was taking my nap, and he started shooting from off to the side between the 2nd and 3rd MRAPs. He was closer to me and Greg’s location than the first two shooters, and I had fallen out in the open. He was keeping everyone pinned down so no one could get to me. The fighting went on for another minute or so, and the first two shooters were eliminated, but the 3rd was playing cat and mouse, shooting a little, then ducking behind cover enough of the time that the gunners couldn’t take him out.

The convoy commander had stopped the medic from trying to go to my aid because it was too dangerous. He had the best view of me and he thought I was dead. I wasn’t moving, for all Greg knew I was dead. My feet were in his direction, which was probably the worst view to see any signs of life. But he decided to go find out. He broke cover and ran toward me to drag me back behind cover so the medic could try to save me. #3 saw him break cover and started shooting him. He was hit several times.

He went down just before he made it to my position and died. He had no way to know at the time that he saved my life, but by running out when he did the 3rd Afghani exposed himself enough while shooting him that he was also killed, and the medic was able to get to me in time to save me.

As soon as the convoy commander declared the threat neutralized the medic ran to Greg, realized he was already gone, then ran to me and got busy.

Greg went home under a flag, and I went to the hospital.

I woke up in a hospital about a week later and was told I was in Germany. Because of my injury I was kept heavily sedated to the point I didn’t even try to move and my memory of the 1st month or so in the hospital is hazy and spotty at best. I found out early on that my coffee drinking buddy, Greg, had been killed, but didn't find out until a few months later that he'd died trying to get to me to save me.

I don’t remember when I heard that SOMEONE died on the mission, but was told about 2 weeks after waking up that it had been Greg. I asked the person who told her that he had died how it happened and was told an untrue story that I suspected even then was false. I didn’t find out the truth until a couple months later.

Almost a year later, after I was reassigned to Iraq, I was sent to the heliport on a Tuesday to verify some equipment that was changing hands. Easy work, all I had to do was confirm that it was the type of equipment the check sheet said it was. So after I was done and the stuff had been sent off I was standing around waiting for my ride back. I spotted a familiar face looking equally bored, so I walked over and sure enough it was the medic who was with me on the convoy and who took care of me on the scene and on the medevac to the hospital when I was hurt.

I walked over to speak to him and I think he looked even more shocked than I did. I tried to give him a hug, but he seemed standoffish about it so I backed off. He still looked at me funny and muttered “What the hell are you doing here?”

I started to tell him about being sent here when I left the hospital but he cut me off and said “No, I mean what the **** are you doing this side of a tombstone!” Then he started complaining that his wrists had hurt for 3 weeks from “mashing your damn chest for 4 hours”, and then he said “Me and everyone there took for granted you'd kick the bucket at the hospital, but I knew if I got your ass there with a pulse I’d get a medal, and I needed the points”.

I was caught off guard by what he said, so I just said something about wishing he could help the other guy, Greg, or wishing he’d stayed down. The medic’s response was to look at me funny and tell me that if someone hadn’t run out and drawn the last Afghani from behind the rocks he was shooting from he wouldn’t have gotten to me and if he’d been another minute he wouldn’t have been able to do anything for me either. I didn’t know what to say, so I just backed off and told him thank you and I was glad he got his medal.

I was turning to leave and he said “Hey wait, I’m glad you made it too. Hope you’re healing OK.”

I walked around a while after that feeling dazed like I got hit by a truck. After that is kind of a blur. I remember hiding in a bunker just because I was so scared, but didn't know of what. Then I started to cry, just cry. I ended up in my room sometime later and I think I bawled for 2 days non-stop. And scream. I was afraid of what was happening but couldn't stop. That night was my knock-out night (at the time my doc gave me anesthesia at night so I could “sleep”). I've never not showed up before, but I did that night. A medic came to my room and drove me to the hospital. When I got there they said I was dehydrated so they dealt with that while I was under.

I cried all day the next day, but not as bad.

Being the person that another died to save puts me in a position that’s probably hard for anyone that’s never been here to understand, certainly hard for me to explain, but very different and awe-inspiring. Not awe-inspiring in the way that I deserve any hero-worship, because I don’t, but awe-inspiring that another human being would knowingly put themselves in harm’s way to try to save me. It gives me a sense of obligation to Greg’s memory to find a way to honor him somehow. I think to post here this small tribute is just the beginning.

To Greg and all who gave their lives so I and all Americans can live and be free, your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Rest in Peace, Greg

Last edited by BobInTX; 06-09-2011 at 14:30..
Old 06-09-2011, 15:07   #7483
okie
GT Mayor

Love you sweetheart. Keep your chin up

Last edited by okie; 06-09-2011 at 15:08..
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 15:24   #7484
eb31
ANARCHY!

Amazing read. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.
eb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 16:29   #7485
BobInTX

Bookmark questions

Okay, here is the next part. Just because I ask a question does not mean it is my opinion, so don't hate me. Some of these questions are the same as last time, and some are not. I thought of some more and some really weren't relevant. Some I don't think you ever got around to answering. Anyway, you can post the questions and answers in pieces if you want. I don't think any of them are operational type questions so I just posted them here instead of PM.

Please, no comments right now.

Questions

How old were you when you were in the military before?

Where did you serve and what did you do?

Do you think if you were younger that you would have been able to avoid being shot?

Do you think if you were a man that you would have been able to avoid being shot?

Are you proud of your military service?

You’ve been in a bad car wreck, you’ve broken your leg badly, and now you suffered two collapsed lungs and extensive internal damage to your chest and received four hours of CPR to keep you alive. Would you say that you are lucky, or do you think there is something inherent in your character that makes you a Survivor?

In one version you said “I thought about it for a second and decided to call my commander in Bagram and ask if it would be OK.” In the other you said “So I called back to the flagpole and convinced my commander to bless me going on the convoy.” These are contradictory statements and is actually sort of telling. So which is it? Did you passively ask if you could go or did you convince them to let you go?

If you hadn’t gotten shot and you were discharged from the service, what would you be doing now to earn a living?

Aside from the grief and loss, would you be proud if your brother died saving someone from a burning building?

Do you think Greg’s family is proud knowing that he died while saving someone?

Before the IED hit, did Greg strike you as someone who would put his life on the line for another person?

We always say that you would have done the same thing for Greg, and you naturally say that you don’t know if you would. Does that bother you, that he gave up his life to save yours, but you don’t know if you would have given up your life to save his?

If Greg had not saved you, are you 100% certain you would have died?

Was it more important for you to get to the next base, or for Greg to get to the next base?

Would the computer equipment you were taking to the base ultimately save lives?

Would it have been helpful to the overall mission for Greg to get to the base and help fix the helicopter?

Was it your duty to get the computer equipment to the remote base?

If you hadn’t made the phone call to get permission to go by convoy, would you have called in to inform them that you were going to be delayed?

If your mission was important enough to break the rules about you traveling by convoy, wouldn’t it have been your duty to have made the phone call to get permission or inform them that you were delayed?

Is it possible if you hadn’t called for permission for your superiors to have decided to send you by convoy anyway?

There were other people waiting for the helicopter. Why didn’t any of them go by convoy?

Why did you ask Greg to go on the convoy with you?

Why you tell Greg before the IED hit that he should save you if you got shot?

Why did you yell for help from Greg after you were shot?

Why did you make the decision for Greg to break cover?

Why did you call for permission to go on the convoy?

If you hadn’t called for permission and your superiors had just told you to go on the convoy, would you still feel guilty about Greg’s death?

A lot of soldiers, including other women, have been wounded and killed as a result of IED’s in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do you consider them to be heroes?

I heard that several soldiers were killed from mortar fire at a base in southern Iraq this week. Is it possible that you could be killed by the enemy today?

If Greg had saved you and he had lived, would your life be any different now?

If you came out of your house and a car was speeding down a road and a small child was lying in the road, and you rushed out and pushed the child out of the way but you were killed, how would you feel? (besides dead)

Would you be foolish for saving the child?

Would it make a difference in your decision making if it looked like the child was already dead?

How would you feel if the child died and you had not tried to save her?

What would you like to tell the child that you saved?

The death of a child is tragic because of their innocence. Is the life of a child really more precious than the life of an adult?

Do you think Greg tried to save you because he couldn’t live with himself if he didn’t try?

Did you grieve for Greg? Are you still grieving?

Jesus said “Greater love hath no man than this. That he give up his life for his friends.” What do you think he meant by that?

What do you think Greg would say to you, knowing the sense of humor that he had?

Why did you shoot Greg?

When you called for permission, did you also ask Greg to go on the convoy so he could save you?

Would you say that because you decided to call for permission that Greg had to decide to break cover, or were they two independent decisions?

Whose decision was it for Greg to break cover and save you?

Considering that you had circumstances that changed the timing of your mission, you took action to try to fulfill your mission, and you followed orders completely when the SHTF, I believe that you did the best you could that day, and Greg did the best he could. Do you agree with that?

How long do you need to continue to make yourself suffer to make up for Greg’s death?

Last edited by BobInTX; 06-10-2011 at 08:08.. Reason: Fix typo
Old 06-09-2011, 17:01   #7486
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb31 View Post
Amazing read. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.
Thank you for the good thoughts and prayers, eb31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Love you sweetheart. Keep your chin up: hearts:: hugs:
Love you too, okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Runner View Post
Wolfe you are in big trouble now.: whistling::tongueout :

Uh-oh!

You had better not throw my guns in the ocean! You would need surgery on more parts of you body than just your chest.

Yes Maam!

Yes we will make you do the writing anyway so you have the right attitude here.
My shrink wants to see how I react to it this time.

Quote:
I took the liberty of taking the two versions of your story and Greg's story and combining them into one, since they each had details the other did not. I also took some of the answers you gave to the questions I asked and incorporated them into the story. And I threw in some other items you posted different places, as well.

This Side of a Tombstone

The Story of Lone Wolfe

By

XXXX XXXXXXX
Well, crap. Reading this all again got me crying all over again. Bob, you're going to have to cheer me up now by posting a bigger version of your avatar. I don't have time to start on the writing you just posted because I was supposed to be back at the hospital a while back, but had to argue with some servers. Luckily I applied the 2% rule and they're fine now. Good thing, because my chest is screaming, so I'm going in. Nite all!

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-09-2011, 18:16   #7487
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

LW!

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 20:28   #7488
BobInTX

Quote:
Well, crap. Reading this all again got me crying all over again. Bob, you're going to have to cheer me up now by posting a bigger version of your avatar. I don't have time to start on the writing you just posted because I was supposed to be back at the hospital a while back, but had to argue with some servers. Luckily I applied the 2% rule and they're fine now. Good thing, because my chest is screaming, so I'm going in. Nite all!
Here ya go.

Okie Memorial Area

That's my granddaughter, for anyone that doesn't know.
Old 06-09-2011, 22:25   #7489
Mrs. G26Duck

Quote:

This Side of a Tombstone

The Story of Lone Wolfe

By

XXXX XXXXXXX

To Greg and all who gave their lives so I and all Americans can live and be free, your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Rest in Peace, Greg
Wow, damn, read most of this in the other thread but Wow. that's rough! Hope Lone Wolfe is doing better now. Can't imagine what she deals with, physically or emotionally. Prayers with her daily. And gratitude from a grateful citizen.
Mrs. G26Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:53   #7490
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Here ya go.

Okie Memorial Area

She is just darling!

Quote:
Wolfe that was a good job blackmailing BobInTX into posting his beautiful granddaughter.

I hope your chest is feeling better today. Is your doctor still making you go in at night? Are you still getting some rest?

Quote:
This Side of a Tombstone[/COLOR]

The Story of Lone Wolfe
This is a good place for you to be. I look forward to the day when you agree.
Quote:
I mean, I’m mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Old 06-10-2011, 14:57   #7491
23skidoo
Deceased

Sweetheart; only the most gentle hugs. Take care and I hope your chest stops wailing soon. I hate it when you're in pain.
Old 06-10-2011, 18:12   #7492
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Sweetheart; only the most gentle hugs. : hearts: Take care and I hope your chest stops wailing soon. I hate it when you're in pain.: iloveyou:
Then you maus have walked around scowling for the last 2 1/2 years, because it's been constant pain. Just sometimes worse then others. But thank you.

Quote:
Wolfe that was a good job blackmailing BobInTX into posting his beautiful granddaughter.: supergrin:

I hope your chest is feeling better today. Is your doctor still making you go in at night? Are you still getting some rest?

This is a good place for you to be. I look forward to the day when you agree.
Wouldn't you have done the same thing?

Chest is still raising hell, but doc says that's pretty much what he expected. He gave me some good pain meds and told me to stay in my room tonight. I hope the sleep cocktail he gave me for tonight does the trick. I know them and the pain meds together have me pretty stoned again right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. G26Duck View Post
Wow, damn, read most of this in the other thread but Wow. that's rough! Hope Lone Wolfe is doing better now. Can't imagine what she deals with, physically or emotionally. Prayers with her daily.: angel: And gratitude from a grateful citizen. : patriot:
Yeah, it's not fun. Between the hurting chest and other problems I really wonder if it's worth it at times. But I know other pay an even higher price. I was just looking at some pics I took recently from a memorial service for a soldier from here that we sent home under a flag. Nice kid, always had a smile, 21 years old. Damn.

Quote:
Here ya go.

Okie Memorial Area

She's SOOOOO cute! This is officially my 2nd favorite pic of her. The 2 month old one is still in the top spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
LW!
: wavey:
Hiya G!

Quote:
Okay, here is the next part. Just because I ask a question does not mean it is my opinion, so don't hate me. I don't hate you, but I want to know if you been drinking or got into my meds from a few of the questions.....Some of these questions are the same as last time, and some are not. I thought of some more and some really weren't relevant. Some I don't think you ever got around to answering. Anyway, you can post the questions and answers in pieces if you want. I don't think any of them are operational type questions so I just posted them here instead of PM.

Please, no comments right now.

Questions

Not very. I was close to 20.

Do you think if you were younger that you would have been able to avoid being shot?
Not sure. I don't think so because I was several feet from the rocks when they started shooting. Being a little faster and closer to the rocks probably wouln't have changed anything, except that I'd have landed closer to the rocks than I did. I suppose there's a chance that might have saved Greg, but I don't know.

Do you think if you were a man that you would have been able to avoid being shot?
No, for the same reason as above.

I think so. Most of it anyway

You’ve been in a bad car wreck, you’ve broken your leg badly, and now you suffered two collapsed lungs and extensive internal damage to your chest and received four hours of CPR to keep you alive. Would you say that you are lucky, or do you think there is something inherent in your character that makes you a Survivor?
I'd say lucky. Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. FYI, I wasn't hurt (physically) bad in that wreck.

In one version you said “I thought about it for a second and decided to call my commander in Bagram and ask if it would be OK.” In the other you said “So I called back to the flagpole and convinced my commander to bless me going on the convoy.” These are contradictory statements and is actually sort of telling. So which is it? Did you passively ask if you could go or did you convince them to let you go?
I asked first, then when I got the Col on the phone I asked if he really wanted me stuck up there for God knows how long.

If you hadn’t gotten shot and you were discharged from the service, what would you be doing now to earn a living?
Good question. I had gotten a job over here before I deployed that I'm doing now. The biggest difference is I could have been on a different base doing something different that requires more physical work, traveling, less flexible work schedule, etc. If I was back in the States I figure I'd be doing something in the IT field.

Aside from the grief and loss, would you be proud if your brother died saving someone from a burning building?
Yes

Probably. I would hope so, even though I'm sure they hate the 'he died' part.

Before the IED hit, did Greg strike you as someone who would put his life on the line for another person?
I never thought about it before that happened. Obviously I look back and think he was, but that's hindsight because he proved he was.

We always say that you would have done the same thing for Greg, and you naturally say that you don’t know if you would. Does that bother you, that he gave up his life to save yours, but you don’t know if you would have given up your life to save his?
I guess it does a little. I like to think that I would have, but I just can't be sure what I'd have done with bullets flying all around me and people yelling, etc. I sure hope I would have.

According to my medic, and several others I would have, and in short order. I can't say from my own opinion because I was unconscious.

Was it more important for you to get to the next base, or for Greg to get to the next base?
For me and my equipment, yes. From what Greg said, he was just going along to catch a ride to his home base.

Yes, indirectly.
Would it have been helpful to the overall mission for Greg to get to the base and help fix the helicopter?
Good question. I'm sure the chopper would have been fixed with or without him, but he said he was going to try to trade his help for a lift when it was ready to fly again.

Yep, that's why I was up at that ****hole in the first place.

If you hadn’t made the phone call to get permission to go by convoy, would you have called in to inform them that you were going to be delayed?
Probably not. Unit TTP was for us to call in and report arrivals at locations, but we rarely called in delays unless someone was expecting us on the other end. No one at my command was waiting for me at the other base.

If your mission was important enough to break the rules about you traveling by convoy, wouldn’t it have been your duty to have made the phone call to get permission or inform them that you were delayed?
Since I was supposed to get to the bases, get the stuff installed and configured, then get back when I could it wasn't considered a delay like you're thinking. I don't know that it would have been my duty to call or it would have been my duty to do as I was told before I left Bagram.

Is it possible if you hadn’t called for permission for your superiors to have decided to send you by convoy anyway?
No, they had no way to know what was happening unless I told them.

There were other people waiting for the helicopter. Why didn’t any of them go by convoy?
I think a couple were in one of the other vehicles. The others I don't know why, but probably weren't going to the same base I was. The choppers make several stops in a day, but I think the convoy only planned to go to one base.

Ummmmmm, you been into my meds?

Yep, you been into my meds.

I wanted to see how loud I could yell while I was unconscious with both lungs collapsed.

I was trying to see how well my telekinesis worked.

To get off that ****hole base, get done at the next one, and get back to the armpit called Bagram.

If you hadn’t called for permission and your superiors had just told you to go on the convoy, would you still feel guilty about Greg’s death?
Not near as much, but maybe a little.

A lot of soldiers, including other women, have been wounded and killed as a result of IED’s in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do you consider them to be heroes?
Yes.

I heard that several soldiers were killed from mortar fire at a base in southern Iraq this week. Is it possible that you could be killed by the enemy today?
Yep. They tried, too. Noisy bastages!

Probably. If I hadn't gotten depressed to where the shrink I had thought I needed anti-depressants it would have been a lot different.

If you came out of your house and a car was speeding down a road and a small child was lying in the road, and you rushed out and pushed the child out of the way but you were killed, how would you feel? (besides dead)
You mean dead doesn't count? I'd feel glad I managed to save the child.

Maybe foolish in the way I went about it, but the idea of saving a little child isn't foolish in itself.

Would it make a difference in your decision making if it looked like the child was already dead?
Looked dead as in decomposed or as in laying still? If I wasn't sure I think I'd have to consider that he/she might be alive.

Like ****.

Stay out of the damn road next time! And I hope you're OK talking to a ghost.

The death of a child is tragic because of their innocence. Is the life of a child really more precious than the life of an adult?
In a way, because that child hasn't had the chance to live their life yet.

Do you think Greg tried to save you because he couldn’t live with himself if he didn’t try?
That's possible. He had time to think, so that may well be what was going through his head.

Yes, in a way.

Jesus said “Greater love hath no man than this. That he give up his life for his friends.” What do you think he meant by that?
I think in means he approves of what Greg did.

What do you think Greg would say to you, knowing the sense of humor that he had?
You trying to get me an infraction?

Why did you shoot Greg?
You got into my meds again.... The only think I shot Greg was a crusty look for taking the last of the coffee.

When you called for permission, did you also ask Greg to go on the convoy so he could save you?
Yep, I had my crystal ball out and knew I was going to get shot and need him to drag me off the road. Oh wait, that damn ball failed me........

Would you say that because you decided to call for permission that Greg had to decide to break cover, or were they two independent decisions?
They were independent decisions, but one wouldn't have been possible without the other.

Had to be Greg's. Sure as hell wasn't mine.

Considering that you had circumstances that changed the timing of your mission, you took action to try to fulfill your mission, and you followed orders completely when the SHTF, I believe that you did the best you could that day, and Greg did the best he could. Do you agree with that?
I was trying to do the best I could, but it was a bad idea.

How long do you need to continue to make yourself suffer to make up for Greg’s death?
What? You think I like suffering? It's not like I want to feel like I do.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-10-2011, 21:58   #7493
BobInTX

Quote:
Questions

Not very. I was close to 20.

Not sure. I don't think so because I was several feet from the rocks when they started shooting. Being a little faster and closer to the rocks probably wouln't have changed anything, except that I'd have landed closer to the rocks than I did. I suppose there's a chance that might have saved Greg, but I don't know.

No, for the same reason as above.

I think so. Most of it anyway

I'd say lucky. Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. FYI, I wasn't hurt (physically) bad in that wreck.

I asked first, then when I got the Col on the phone I asked if he really wanted me stuck up there for God knows how long.

Good question. I had gotten a job over here before I deployed that I'm doing now. The biggest difference is I could have been on a different base doing something different that requires more physical work, traveling, less flexible work schedule, etc. If I was back in the States I figure I'd be doing something in the IT field.

Yes

Probably. I would hope so, even though I'm sure they hate the 'he died' part.

I never thought about it before that happened. Obviously I look back and think he was, but that's hindsight because he proved he was.

I guess it does a little. I like to think that I would have, but I just can't be sure what I'd have done with bullets flying all around me and people yelling, etc. I sure hope I would have.

According to my medic, and several others I would have, and in short order. I can't say from my own opinion because I was unconscious.

For me and my equipment, yes. From what Greg said, he was just going along to catch a ride to his home base.

Yes, indirectly.
Good question. I'm sure the chopper would have been fixed with or without him, but he said he was going to try to trade his help for a lift when it was ready to fly again.

Yep, that's why I was up at that ****hole in the first place.

Probably not. Unit TTP was for us to call in and report arrivals at locations, but we rarely called in delays unless someone was expecting us on the other end. No one at my command was waiting for me at the other base.

Since I was supposed to get to the bases, get the stuff installed and configured, then get back when I could it wasn't considered a delay like you're thinking. I don't know that it would have been my duty to call or it would have been my duty to do as I was told before I left Bagram.

No, they had no way to know what was happening unless I told them.

I think a couple were in one of the other vehicles. The others I don't know why, but probably weren't going to the same base I was. The choppers make several stops in a day, but I think the convoy only planned to go to one base.

Ummmmmm, you been into my meds?

Yep, you been into my meds.

I wanted to see how loud I could yell while I was unconscious with both lungs collapsed.

I was trying to see how well my telekinesis worked.

To get off that ****hole base, get done at the next one, and get back to the armpit called Bagram.

Not near as much, but maybe a little.

Yes.

Yep. They tried, too. Noisy bastages!

Probably. If I hadn't gotten depressed to where the shrink I had thought I needed anti-depressants it would have been a lot different.

You mean dead doesn't count? I'd feel glad I managed to save the child.

Maybe foolish in the way I went about it, but the idea of saving a little child isn't foolish in itself.

Looked dead as in decomposed or as in laying still? If I wasn't sure I think I'd have to consider that he/she might be alive.

Like ****.

Stay out of the damn road next time! And I hope you're OK talking to a ghost.

In a way, because that child hasn't had the chance to live their life yet.

That's possible. He had time to think, so that may well be what was going through his head.

Yes, in a way.

I think it means he approves of what Greg did.

You trying to get me an infraction?

Why did you shoot Greg?
You got into my meds again.... The only think I shot Greg was a crusty look for taking the last of the coffee.

Yep, I had my crystal ball out and knew I was going to get shot and need him to drag me off the road. Oh wait, that damn ball failed me........

They were independent decisions, but one wouldn't have been possible without the other.

Had to be Greg's. Sure as hell wasn't mine.

What? You think I like suffering? It's not like I want to feel like I do.
Some observations-

You answered all of the questions in one sitting. You didn't drag your feet this time. That is a positive change.

Your answers were concise and were definite. You weren't wishy washy like before.

No, I know you don't like to suffer. But your mind is making you suffer. You're the only one who thinks you deserve to bear any guilt.

You found some of my questions absurd. Good, because they were absurd. You answered them with humor, which I thoroughly enjoyed since I love your sense of humor, but of course the correct answer is "I didn't do that!" But for you to be responsible for Greg's death, they all have to be true, don't they? The answer would be "Because I wanted him to die." So go ahead, read those questions again and say "Because I wanted him to die." I'll wait...

Now that's absurd.

This is the most honest I've ever seen you be answering this question. That's all you were trying to do, wasn't it? Just get the job done so you could go back "home"? Isn't that exactly what Greg was trying to do, too? Just go "home"? And while Greg make his decision by himself, you didn't even have the final say. Your Colonel could have just as easily said, "No, we have that rule for a reason, and you're going to stay in that ****hole until a chopper can come and get you". So in a way, Greg exercised his free will in everything he did, while you could not.

Of course, you know I asked about the child scenario because I wanted you to experience some of the thought process Greg went through as you lay on the dirt dying.

I think your answers to these questions are the key to why Greg broke cover. Does that make sense to you?

Did you know at the time it was a bad idea? Did you say, this is a bad idea, but I'm going to call anyway?

Yes.

Now you know how we feel about you.

Re: Jesus. I think that's what it means, too.

I thought you broke your leg in the car wreck. I know you lost something very precious in it. Remind me how you broke your leg?

Please show your answer post and this post to your wonderful psychiatrist. I think he would be real interested. Either that or I'm totally in left field. (Notice I didn't call him your shrink. Oops. )
Old 06-11-2011, 09:56   #7494
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
. But I know other pay an even higher price. I was just looking at some pics I took recently from a memorial service for a soldier from here that we sent home under a flag. Nice kid, always had a smile, 21 years old. Damn.
:

Quote:
Your answers were concise and were definite. You weren't wishy washy like before.

Now you know how we feel about you.

Please show your answer post and this post to your wonderful psychiatrist. I think he would be real interested. Either that or I'm totally in left field. (Notice I didn't call him your shrink. Oops. )
She sounded to me like she was stoned but I agree with you about wanting to know what her shrink thinks of this one compared to the previous set of answers. I would like to know what he has to say.

Wolfe please notice that I did call him your shrink.

That is exactly how we feel about you Wolfe. All who serve are heroes to me.
Quote:
Old 06-11-2011, 16:20   #7495
Glock26girl
G26, G19

Bob, I know we all thank you for all the time you spend helping "our girl."

It is heart rending what you have been through, Wolfe and I pray that all of the sadness, guilt and heaviness of spirit be lifted from you. You are a brave, spunky, super ornery, tough and delightful woman. Your sense of humor is so smart and quick. I really feel that once you get the last physical things taken care of, you will be so much better able to go home than you were before. Please know, also, that when people aren't writing on the site that it doesn't mean that they aren't reading and praying. I, for one read what is going on almost every day, but don't always feel that I have anything worth contributing.
We love you and are here anytime you need us. Both, online and in person.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Glock26girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 17:54   #7496
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock26girl View Post
Bob, I know we all thank you for all the time you spend helping "our girl."

It is heart rending what you have been through, Wolfe and I pray that all of the sadness, guilt and heaviness of spirit be lifted from you. You are a brave, spunky, super ornery, tough and delightful woman. Your sense of humor is so smart and quick. I really feel that once you get the last physical things taken care of, you will be so much better able to go home than you were before. Please know, also, that when people aren't writing on the site that it doesn't mean that they aren't reading and praying. I, for one read what is going on almost every day, but don't always feel that I have anything worth contributing.
We love you and are here anytime you need us. Both, online and in person. : patriot:: hugs:: hugs:
Ornery, eh? I resemble that remark!

Oh wait....

You know that I appreciate you and your friendship whether you feel up to writing or not. Can't wait to meet you.

Quote:
She sounded to me like she was stoned but I agree with you about wanting to know what her shrink thinks of this one compared to the previous set of answers. I would like to know what he has to say.

Yep, you know me too well.

Wolfe please notice that I did call him your shrink.: whistling:: supergrin:
He's seen posts from this thread before, he knows what we call him. He even calls himself a shrink. He even saw where I called him 'Bastard'. He just chuckled and shrugged that off.

Quote:
Some observations-

You answered all of the questions in one sitting. You didn't drag your feet this time. That is a positive change.

No, I know you don't like to suffer. But your mind is making you suffer. You're the only one who thinks you deserve to bear any guilt.

You found some of my questions absurd. Good, because they were absurd. You answered them with humor, which I thoroughly enjoyed since I love your sense of humor, but of course the correct answer is "I didn't do that!" But for you to be responsible for Greg's death, they all have to be true, don't they? The answer would be "Because I wanted him to die." So go ahead, read those questions again and say "Because I wanted him to die." I'll wait...

: dunno:

Now that's absurd.

I could have said “I didn't do that!”, but I figured you already knew that. Unless you really have been sampling my meds, that is..... So you really want me to say that I wanted Greg to die? I didn't think so. I wanted him to stay his ass down behind the rocks and go home safely.

This is the most honest I've ever seen you be answering this question. That's all you were trying to do, wasn't it? Just get the job done so you could go back "home"? Isn't that exactly what Greg was trying to do, too? Just go "home"? And while Greg make his decision by himself, you didn't even have the final say. Your Colonel could have just as easily said, "No, we have that rule for a reason, and you're going to stay in that ****hole until a chopper can come and get you". So in a way, Greg exercised his free will in everything he did, while you could not.

We’re assuming Greg made the decision himself, because he never mentioned calling anyone, but I can't be sure he didn't before he joined me in overworking the coffeepot. It's not something I would have asked him, either.

Of course, you know I asked about the child scenario because I wanted you to experience some of the thought process Greg went through as you lay on the dirt dying.

I think your answers to these questions are the key to why Greg broke cover. Does that make sense to you?

Yes, the reasons here make sense. If he'd have found out later that there's been a chance to save me if the medic could have gotten to me sooner he'd likely have been pissed at himself.

Did you know at the time it was a bad idea? Did you say, this is a bad idea, but I'm going to call anyway?

I muttered something to the effect that I'd regret this while the phone was ringing. I just had no idea how much.

I thought you broke your leg in the car wreck. I know you lost something very precious in it. Remind me how you broke your leg?

Yes, I did. I never posted how I broke my leg. It happened at a track meet. I was a quarter miler who could maintain spring speed most of the way, and was undefeated the year I was on the team. The last meet before the finals I had a sprained ankle, but ended up running anyway. Well, that sprained ankle turned out to be a hairline fracture that gave way in the stretch. I didn't fall, and I was on a big lead, so I tried to speed back up. A few steps later the now unstable ankle shattered under me.

Please show your answer post and this post to your wonderful psychiatrist. I think he would be real interested. Either that or I'm totally in left field. (Notice I didn't call him your shrink. Oops. : embarassed: )

You may be out in left field, but my shrink doesn't seem to think so. Center field maybe.
I showed it to my shrink this afternoon as requested. He cracked up laughing then asked “So how wasted were you when you wrote this? What meds were you full of?” I told him and he just shook his head and said he should have specified that I do the writing when I wasn't stoned, but then I said I'd never be able to get it done if he'd done that. “Touche”. He didn't say much more, I think he wanted to look it over and think about it. He's right that I was really stoned and I write differently when I am, but I stay stoned on these meds. Glad you like my sense of humor. I'll bet you've still got that PM I sent you about the DFAC nuts.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-11-2011, 19:08   #7497
Andy P

Quote:
Rest in Peace, Greg
Wow, great story and thank you for sharing. I wish you all the best.
Old 06-11-2011, 19:11   #7498
okie
GT Mayor

Love you sweetheart, keep your chin up honey
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 20:33   #7499
BobInTX

How could I forget those nuts?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04   #7500
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
I think in means he approves of what Greg did.
To me, this means Greg is sitting at supper with Jesus every day, and is where he feels nothing but joy. I imagine he gives thanks to God every day that he had the courage to try to save you!

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!