GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 18:50   #5661
sawgrass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,321
What about swimming noodles?!! Long soft tubes to keep you from rolling over!
__________________
Quote:
I've learned over the years that if you don't get exactly what you want, you'll never satisfy the desire. :cool:
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 18:53   #5662
23skidoo
Deceased
 
23skidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Big Chimney, WV
Posts: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
So is my doc. He said he didn't think that combo would do the trick, but had to rule it out. Means he won't try it again. Or at least he'd better not....
If he tries it again, no beer truck for him! I'll still get one for you though.
__________________
"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles"
William J. Clinton March 1, 1993 10 Ring # 365
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 20:01   #5663
BobInTX
Senior Member
 
BobInTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,128
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
What about swimming noodles?!! Long soft tubes to keep you from rolling over!
I'm sure there's plenty of those in the desert!

At least you're being creative.
__________________
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 20:17   #5664
BobInTX
Senior Member
 
BobInTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,128
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post


I guess they would be happy, they got an infidel woman, then killed an infidel man. I think I'd still feel some guilt if Greg had died like that instead of the way he did because of the fact that we were there at all after I'd been told to stay off convoys.

From what I knew of Greg I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Especially if he found out that I'd been alive the first few minutes while the fighting was going on. I hope he wouldn't have the nightmares as bad as I do, he probably wouldn't have had the drug reaction I did to make them worse.





I see what you did there. I'd be laughing my ass off if I wasn't out of smileys for this post.
Well, we've been over all that before. You were just trying to do your duty. But that doesn't make you feel any better, does it?

I hope over time your guilt subsides. You certainly don't deserve any of this. I think you know that in your heart. Nobody is blaming you for any of this, except You. You can't help what you feel.

I know I'm going to catch flak for this. As much as I love your avatar and sig line, don't you think it's time to bury Greg, change them, and move on?
__________________
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.

Last edited by BobInTX; 10-17-2010 at 20:25..
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 22:26   #5665
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee
 
Lone_Wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: This side of a tombstone
Posts: 27,944


Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
If he tries it again, no beer truck for him! I'll still get one for you though.
Send it on over, wouldya?
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member++++++SAF Life Member+++++++++++

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 22:35   #5666
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.
 
Geeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Irvington,Indiana 46239
Posts: 9,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeorge View Post
Hey Baby

Our two siamese boys have a sister that my mom has.

Somehow she broke her toe the other night,inside the house too.


She is about half the size of the boys,when they were younger they looked all the same.

Boy she is pitifull ,supposed to have the cast on 4-6 weeks

Okie Memorial Area
Well not as bad as I thought ,gave her some serious lov'in and fed her Cat Nip cat treats.

I knew she was OK when I saw her use the cast to smack one of the other of mom's cats with it
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 00:34   #5667
23skidoo
Deceased
 
23skidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Big Chimney, WV
Posts: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Send it on over, wouldya?
What if I can't find Fat Tire, will Buttweiper be ok? Sweetheart, it was a joke, put the bat down! : supergrin:
__________________
"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles"
William J. Clinton March 1, 1993 10 Ring # 365

Last edited by 23skidoo; 10-18-2010 at 00:37..
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:27   #5668
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee
 
Lone_Wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: This side of a tombstone
Posts: 27,944


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeorge View Post
Well not as bad as I thought ,gave her some serious lov'in and fed her Cat Nip cat treats.

I knew she was OK when I saw her use the cast to smack one of the other of mom's cats with it: wavey:
Smart cat!



Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
What if I can't find Fat Tire, will Buttweiper be ok? Sweetheart, it was a joke, put the bat down! : supergrin:: tongueout:: iloveyou:
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member++++++SAF Life Member+++++++++++

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35   #5669
Tenngunner
Senior Member
 
Tenngunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: I'll know when I get there.
Posts: 1,253
Hey LW,

How was your night? Get any sleep? I'm sure the bunker chu is a little more comforting.

How was the ice cream?


Stay safe.
__________________
Originally posted by NYC Drew:

"We don't sit on our asses enough and THINK thru scenarios. We have to wait until bad nasty stuff happens to us to appreciate circumstances that might run counter to our preconceptions and beliefs."
Tenngunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24   #5670
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee
 
Lone_Wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: This side of a tombstone
Posts: 27,944


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenngunner View Post
Hey LW,

How was your night? Get any sleep? I'm sure the bunker chu is a little more comforting.

How was the ice cream?


Stay safe.
I got about 5 1/2-6 hours last night. Still less than I need, but a damn sight better than just one! Yep, I sure like the idea of sleeping in a bunker.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
Well, we've been over all that before. You were just trying to do your duty. But that doesn't make you feel any better, does it?

I hope over time your guilt subsides. You certainly don't deserve any of this. I think you know that in your heart. Nobody is blaming you for any of this, except You. You can't help what you feel.

I know I'm going to catch flak for this. As much as I love your avatar and sig line, don't you think it's time to bury Greg, change them, and move on?
I know we've talked about this before and a part of me knows it's true, but another part of me just can't seem to get the message. I'm trying, I really don't like feeling this way although you must think I do by now. I think you may have it backwards, it's my heart that can't seem to get the message. My head goes back and forth, and sometimes tries to get my heart to fall in line.

My avatar and sig line are a tribute to more than just Greg, so they won't go away, although they may get slight changes. I was thinking of PM'ing RussP and seeing if he'd add the OIF medal to the OEF one already in there. The tributes will stay, they aren't just Greg, but he's certainly represented there. I sure think it's right to have a tribute to someone who not only made the ultimate sacrfice for our country, but also to save my life.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member++++++SAF Life Member+++++++++++

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:50   #5671
sawgrass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
I'm sure there's plenty of those in the desert!

At least you're being creative.
she does have an address you know...
LW you know I'll mail you whatever you need if you can think of something
that might keep you from rolling over.
Wow 5-6 hrs. that's a step in the right direction!
__________________
Quote:
I've learned over the years that if you don't get exactly what you want, you'll never satisfy the desire. :cool:
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13   #5672
BobInTX
Senior Member
 
BobInTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,128
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
I got about 5 1/2-6 hours last night. Still less than I need, but a damn sight better than just one! Yep, I sure like the idea of sleeping in a bunker.

I know we've talked about this before and a part of me knows it's true, but another part of me just can't seem to get the message. I'm trying, I really don't like feeling this way although you must think I do by now. I think you may have it backwards, it's my heart that can't seem to get the message. My head goes back and forth, and sometimes tries to get my heart to fall in line.

My avatar and sig line are a tribute to more than just Greg, so they won't go away, although they may get slight changes. I was thinking of PM'ing RussP and seeing if he'd add the OIF medal to the OEF one already in there. The tributes will stay, they aren't just Greg, but he's certainly represented there. I sure think it's right to have a tribute to someone who not only made the ultimate sacrfice for our country, but also to save my life.
No, I don't think you like feeling this way, I know you don't. Okay, you know in your head, not your heart. I know the thing that tears you up is you keep asking yourself "what if I hadn't made that phone call"?

Listen to me, dear Heart. I don't think you ever expected to be given permission to make that convoy, but at least nobody could say you didn't try. Should you have been given permission? The easy answer is no, but somebody thought your mission was important enough to risk it. Why is that?

You weren't just bringing PC's to install in my office where everything is all nice and safe. You said yourself your computer equipment saved lives. If you think about it that way, you making that phone call was a valiant effort to save lives. You put your life on the line to do that, as much as Greg put his life on the line by joining the convoy, of his own free will, and trying to save you. And yes, as we all know, your life was totally thrown upside down. That, dear friend, is why we all admire, love and respect you.

You regret your decision deeply. Of course you do. You know if you just hadn't made that phone call everything would be different. You can second guess your decision for years and still not have clear answers, and it certainly won't bring Greg back.

That doesn't mean it wasn't the right one based on what you knew at the time. If a fireman runs into a burning building and gets killed, should he have done that? Of course, the easy answer is no. Now assume that there is a child or an elderly person in the building. Now, it's not as clear, is it? Did he know that the building would collapse and he'd get killed? No. Did he know there was a risk of that? Yes. So why would he do it knowing he might die?

Because he's a fireman. Most people run out of burning buildings. A few run in. He's a hero, right? Is he a hero because he got killed? No. He's a hero because he ran into the burning building.

So why did you make the decision you made to call for permission to go via convoy? Because you're a soldier, and it was your job. I can only imagine that your equipment was of tactical and strategic importance. It wasn't going to the FOB to calculate the inventory of bedsheets. It was important enough that it couldn't wait another 24 hours to be installed. Was it worth the risk of the lives of a computer tech and a helicopter mechanic to get them there ASAP? In hindsight, no, because we know what happened. But at the time, everyone, including you, thought it was the right decision, because it would save lives on the ground.

So, listen to me, dear Heart. Greg is dead. He died trying to save you, not because you asked him to, but because he had to. He knew he couldn't live with himself if he didn't try, and so he died trying. Perhaps God put him there for just such a purpose. He died saving you because you were shot on your way to save others. All involved were trying to get you where you needed to go so you could do that. There is no blame here. No one is guilty. There is only Honor and Duty and Heroism.

Most people run out of burning buildings. Firemen run in. Some people volunteer to be soldiers and go to war, and some of us stay home and write to them.

As for your avatar, a tribute is nice, as long as it doesn't become Greg's tombstone around your neck with a capital G for guilt, like a scarlet letter.
__________________
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:15   #5673
BobInTX
Senior Member
 
BobInTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,128
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
she does have an address you know...
LW you know I'll mail you whatever you need if you can think of something
that might keep you from rolling over.
Wow 5-6 hrs. that's a step in the right direction!
No, I wouldn't know.

Maybe we could hire some nice looking Iraqi boys to hold her down at night.
__________________
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:17   #5674
Tenngunner
Senior Member
 
Tenngunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: I'll know when I get there.
Posts: 1,253
Very well written Bob, I hope LW takes it to heart.
__________________
Originally posted by NYC Drew:

"We don't sit on our asses enough and THINK thru scenarios. We have to wait until bad nasty stuff happens to us to appreciate circumstances that might run counter to our preconceptions and beliefs."
Tenngunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 13:46   #5675
23skidoo
Deceased
 
23skidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Big Chimney, WV
Posts: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
I got about 5 1/2-6 hours last night. Still less than I need, but a damn sight better than just one! Yep, I sure like the idea of sleeping in a bunker.
__________________
"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles"
William J. Clinton March 1, 1993 10 Ring # 365
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 14:20   #5676
BobInTX
Senior Member
 
BobInTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,128
Blog Entries: 2
A Prayer for Lone_Wolfe

Quote:
O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.

Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint;
O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony.


My soul is in anguish.
How long, O LORD, how long?

Turn, O LORD, and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.

No one remembers you when he is dead.
Who praises you from the grave?

I am worn out from groaning;
all night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.

My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
they fail because of all my foes.

Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the LORD has heard my weeping.

The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
the LORD accepts my prayer.

All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed;
they will turn back in sudden disgrace.
Psalm 6 (NIV)
__________________
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 17:14   #5677
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee
 
Lone_Wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: This side of a tombstone
Posts: 27,944


Geeorge, I'm still laughing about Mom's Siameesie using her cast to bonk the other kitty.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
Maybe we could hire some nice looking Iraqi boys to hold her down at night.
Now that's a good idea. Now that you mention it I wonder if any guys here might volunteer to come over here and do that for me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenngunner View Post
Very well written Bob, I hope LW takes it to heart.
LW is trying.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
What's that mutt dancing about now?



Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
No, I don't think you like feeling this way, I know you don't. Okay, you know in your head, not your heart. I know the thing that tears you up is you keep asking yourself "what if I hadn't made that phone call"?

Listen to me, dear Heart. I don't think you ever expected to be given permission to make that convoy, but at least nobody could say you didn't try. Should you have been given permission? The easy answer is no, but somebody thought your mission was important enough to risk it. Why is that?

You weren't just bringing PC's to install in my office where everything is all nice and safe. You said yourself your computer equipment saved lives. If you think about it that way, you making that phone call was a valiant effort to save lives. You put your life on the line to do that, as much as Greg put his life on the line by joining the convoy, of his own free will, and trying to save you. And yes, as we all know, your life was totally thrown upside down. That, dear friend, is why we all admire, love and respect you.

You regret your decision deeply. Of course you do. You know if you just hadn't made that phone call everything would be different. You can second guess your decision for years and still not have clear answers, and it certainly won't bring Greg back.

That doesn't mean it wasn't the right one based on what you knew at the time. If a fireman runs into a burning building and gets killed, should he have done that? Of course, the easy answer is no. Now assume that there is a child or an elderly person in the building. Now, it's not as clear, is it? Did he know that the building would collapse and he'd get killed? No. Did he know there was a risk of that? Yes. So why would he do it knowing he might die?

Because he's a fireman. Most people run out of burning buildings. A few run in. He's a hero, right? Is he a hero because he got killed? No. He's a hero because he ran into the burning building.

So why did you make the decision you made to call for permission to go via convoy? Because you're a soldier, and it was your job. I can only imagine that your equipment was of tactical and strategic importance. It wasn't going to the FOB to calculate the inventory of bedsheets. It was important enough that it couldn't wait another 24 hours to be installed. Was it worth the risk of the lives of a computer tech and a helicopter mechanic to get them there ASAP? In hindsight, no, because we know what happened. But at the time, everyone, including you, thought it was the right decision, because it would save lives on the ground.

So, listen to me, dear Heart. Greg is dead. He died trying to save you, not because you asked him to, but because he had to. He knew he couldn't live with himself if he didn't try, and so he died trying. Perhaps God put him there for just such a purpose. He died saving you because you were shot on your way to save others. All involved were trying to get you where you needed to go so you could do that. There is no blame here. No one is guilty. There is only Honor and Duty and Heroism.

Most people run out of burning buildings. Firemen run in. Some people volunteer to be soldiers and go to war, and some of us stay home and write to them.

As for your avatar, a tribute is nice, as long as it doesn't become Greg's tombstone around your neck with a capital G for guilt, like a scarlet letter.
Iíve been reading this and trying to re-read it, which is hard as hell with tears streaming down my face. There is so much to think about, and so many things that I can tell myself to understand why I did what I did and what I thought I had to do. I know Iíll always wonder what could have been if Iíd never made that call, and just sat on that base a few more days until the next flight was scheduled to come through there. At times I can almost believe that I did nothing wrong, at least in my head, but then I remember that someone died who would still be alive, that his family and friends lost someone they loved, and thereís even the other people who were out there with us who had to watch us both get shot and him die. I wonder if theyíve ever had nightmares about what they saw.

I try to remind myself that I had no way to know what would happen, that I had no idea the convoy would get attacked, I would get shot and then Greg would, but then that little bug in my ears reminds me that I should have just followed orders and dragged my stuff back to my tent that day. That thought really gets traction in my heart at 2AM when I canít sleep and maybe didnít get any sleep the night before. Thatís when guilt and the other demons in my head get together and have me thinking all kinds of ugly thoughts.

I canít say that youíre not at least partly right about my avatar, but I donít want to take it down. I do like the idea I had of asking Russ if heíll add to it though. Bob, thank you for caring enough to write to me like this.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Runner View Post
When you say that you wish Greg had not saved you even at the cost of his own life do you think about that fact that he really saved two lives? If you had died that day who would have called the police to rescue 23skidoo?
Thatís one thing Iíve had to start thinking about recently. Iíve long believed that many things happen for a reason, that thereís a chain of events in life that if you take one link out of it all falls apart. Like one of those domino designs where the person pushes one and they all fall in a pattern. If someone lifts out one domino before it falls it ruins the rest of the fall pattern. One possibility is that I never made that call, we never went on the convoy, I never got shot, okie never started this thread which cause Skidoo to want to meet me. So he has a stroke and no one saves him and his family is heartbroken. I never know about and maybe have a passing thought about that one leghumper that was more polite than most. Wish heíd come back to GT and say ĎHií once in a while, I liked him.

Or Greg doesnít save me, I die and at some point Silent_Runner posts that fact on GT. Skidoo may or may not see the post about it, and of course Iím not there when he has his stroke. These possibilities make me wonder what his part in this tapestry will prove to be. But the fact that someone else was saved as a result of my being saved forces me to be glad I'm still alive, no matter how I really feel at times. Does that make sense?
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member++++++SAF Life Member+++++++++++

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 18:42   #5678
23skidoo
Deceased
 
23skidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Big Chimney, WV
Posts: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Geeorge, I'm still laughing about Mom's Siameesie using her cast to bonk the other kitty. : rofl: : hugs:





Now that's a good idea. Now that you mention it I wonder if any guys here might volunteer to come over here and do that for me.





LW is trying.



What's that mutt dancing about now?





I’ve been reading this and trying to re-read it, which is hard as hell with tears streaming down my face. There is so much to think about, and so many things that I can tell myself to understand why I did what I did and what I thought I had to do. I know I’ll always wonder what could have been if I’d never made that call, and just sat on that base a few more days until the next flight was scheduled to come through there. At times I can almost believe that I did nothing wrong, at least in my head, but then I remember that someone died who would still be alive, that his family and friends lost someone they loved, and there’s even the other people who were out there with us who had to watch us both get shot and him die. I wonder if they’ve ever had nightmares about what they saw.

I try to remind myself that I had no way to know what would happen, that I had no idea the convoy would get attacked, I would get shot and then Greg would, but then that little bug in my ears reminds me that I should have just followed orders and dragged my stuff back to my tent that day. That thought really gets traction in my heart at 2AM when I can’t sleep and maybe didn’t get any sleep the night before. That’s when guilt and the other demons in my head get together and have me thinking all kinds of ugly thoughts.

I can’t say that you’re not at least partly right about my avatar, but I don’t want to take it down. I do like the idea I had of asking Russ if he’ll add to it though. Bob, thank you for caring enough to write to me like this.





That’s one thing I’ve had to start thinking about recently. I’ve long believed that many things happen for a reason, that there’s a chain of events in life that if you take one link out of it all falls apart. Like one of those domino designs where the person pushes one and they all fall in a pattern. If someone lifts out one domino before it falls it ruins the rest of the fall pattern. One possibility is that I never made that call, we never went on the convoy, I never got shot, okie never started this thread which cause Skidoo to want to meet me. So he has a stroke and no one saves him and his family is heartbroken. I never know about and maybe have a passing thought about that one leghumper that was more polite than most. Wish he’d come back to GT and say ‘Hi’ once in a while, I liked him.

Or Greg doesn’t save me, I die and at some point Silent_Runner posts that fact on GT. Skidoo may or may not see the post about it, and of course I’m not there when he has his stroke. These possibilities make me wonder what his part in this tapestry will prove to be. But the fact that someone else was saved as a result of my being saved forces me to be glad I'm still alive, no matter how I really feel at times. Does that make sense?
He's dancing because you like your new chu which is safer than the old one plus has it's own bathroom. That mutt is me, if you are safer, I am happy.
__________________
"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles"
William J. Clinton March 1, 1993 10 Ring # 365

Last edited by 23skidoo; 10-18-2010 at 20:14..
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 21:17   #5679
BobInTX
Senior Member
 
BobInTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,128
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Now that's a good idea. Now that you mention it I wonder if any guys here might volunteer to come over here and do that for me. Ya THINK!

LW is trying. Yes, she is.

Iíve been reading this and trying to re-read it, which is hard as hell with tears streaming down my face. There is so much to think about, and so many things that I can tell myself to understand why I did what I did and what I thought I had to do. I know Iíll always wonder what could have been if Iíd never made that call, and just sat on that base a few more days until the next flight was scheduled to come through there. At times I can almost believe that I did nothing wrong, at least in my head, but then I remember that someone died who would still be alive, that his family and friends lost someone they loved, and thereís even the other people who were out there with us who had to watch us both get shot and him die. I wonder if theyíve ever had nightmares about what they saw. Are they human?

I try to remind myself that I had no way to know what would happen, that I had no idea the convoy would get attacked, I would get shot and then Greg would, but then that little bug in my ears reminds me that I should have just followed orders and dragged my stuff back to my tent that day. That thought really gets traction in my heart at 2AM when I canít sleep and maybe didnít get any sleep the night before. Thatís when guilt and the other demons in my head get together and have me thinking all kinds of ugly thoughts. Yeah, that would be these guys in Psalm 6 I posted: "Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping. "



I canít say that youíre not at least partly right about my avatar, but I donít want to take it down. I do like the idea I had of asking Russ if heíll add to it though. Bob, thank you for caring enough to write to me like this. You're welcome. I do care.

I'm not going to make you take down your avatar. It was just a suggestion to help you move on. You'll change it when you're ready. I'm sure there will be a cat involved someday.

Thatís one thing Iíve had to start thinking about recently. Iíve long believed that many things happen for a reason, that thereís a chain of events in life that if you take one link out of it all falls apart. Like one of those domino designs where the person pushes one and they all fall in a pattern. If someone lifts out one domino before it falls it ruins the rest of the fall pattern. One possibility is that I never made that call, we never went on the convoy, I never got shot, okie never started this thread which cause Skidoo to want to meet me. So he has a stroke and no one saves him and his family is heartbroken. I never know about and maybe have a passing thought about that one leghumper that was more polite than most. Wish heíd come back to GT and say ĎHií once in a while, I liked him.

Or Greg doesnít save me, I die and at some point Silent_Runner posts that fact on GT. Skidoo may or may not see the post about it, and of course Iím not there when he has his stroke. These possibilities make me wonder what his part in this tapestry will prove to be. But the fact that someone else was saved as a result of my being saved forces me to be glad I'm still alive, no matter how I really feel at times. Does that make sense?
Yes, it makes perfect sense. Sometimes I think how I would have liked to have done a different career, or I wish my Dad hadn't died when I was 13. But then I think about how my life would be different. I wouldn't have met my wife if we hadn't moved here after my Dad died, or if I had gone to a different city to work. I wouldn't have my kids or grandkids. I wouldn't change my life now for anything. I sure miss my Daddy, though. I think about him every day and it's been 40 years since he died.

You are in a Catch-22 situation. But that is based on what you know now. If we had to make our life decisions like that we would all go insane. "If I make this convoy trip, Greg will die, but if I don't, Skidoo will die." Nobody could make that decision, so I am glad none of us knows the future.

You made your decision based on what you knew then. The captain asked if you could take the convoy if they got one together. You thought that might be an option worth pursuing based on the urgency of getting the equipment installed, so you made the call. The colonel decided it was worth the risk, and so off you went.

Greg made his decision, too. He didn't have to go on the convoy, but he wanted to get back to his base. If he had not gone on the convoy, he'd be alive, but you'd be dead. In hindsight, he made the wrong decision, too. At least for him.

The bottom line is, none of you knew what was to come. Not the captain, the colonel, Greg, nor You. You made your decisions based on the best outcome for the troops based on what you knew at the time.

God has to deal with this all the time. If he answers a prayer for this person, then that will affect this, and if he answers a prayer for that person, it will affect that, and on and on and on.

Dear Heart, you're not God, you don't know the future, and you're not perfect. You did the best you could. Only you believe that you are guilty. So forgive yourself. Say it:

"I'm sorry my decision got Greg killed and me shot. But I didn't know the future, and I didn't know what was going to happen. I did not know my decision was going to cause me so much pain. I did the best I could knowing what I did at the time. I don't know why my life was spared, but I'm going to spend every day making it worth Greg's death. I no longer need to condemn myself for Greg's death, and I deserve a better life than I have been giving myself. I can't change what happened, so I forgive myself because I'm an imperfect human being, and not God."

God Bless You, __________.
__________________
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47   #5680
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Off the Deep End!
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Geeorge, I'm still laughing about Mom's Siameesie using her cast to bonk the other kitty.
So am I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
These possibilities make me wonder what his part in this tapestry will prove to be. But the fact that someone else was saved as a result of my being saved forces me to be glad I'm still alive, no matter how I really feel at times. Does that make sense?
It makes a lot of sense. There are many possibilities including the possibility that 23skidoo never has his stroke. Or you may also have saved lived that you do not know about. Considering what you do over there I would consider that a very real possibility. We here have no way to know things like that at times and you certainly had no way to know what you would do in the future on the day you got shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
You'll change it when you're ready. I'm sure there will be a cat involved someday.
I get the impression you know Wolfe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
Yes, it makes perfect sense. Sometimes I think how I would have liked to have done a different career, or I wish my Dad hadn't died when I was 13. But then I think about how my life would be different. I wouldn't have met my wife if we hadn't moved here after my Dad died, or if I had gone to a different city to work. I wouldn't have my kids or grandkids. I wouldn't change my life now for anything. I sure miss my Daddy, though. I think about him every day and it's been 40 years since he died.

You are in a Catch-22 situation. But that is based on what you know now. If we had to make our life decisions like that we would all go insane. "If I make this convoy trip, Greg will die, but if I don't, Skidoo will die." Nobody could make that decision, so I am glad none of us knows the future.

God Bless You, __________.
I'm so sorry to hear of your losing your father so young. That is a great example of what Wolfe was talking about how one event can change so many later on. I think back to an event that almost caused to break up with my daughter's father before we married. As much as I would wish to have been spared the heartache that came later I would never want to not have my daughters in my life.

I have to wonder how even God can make decisions like that. It must be so hard to wright even the people and factors we know about here along with all that we don't know. Wolfe be glad you did not know. You would not be able to live with either choice. You simply made the best decision you could with what you knew at the time.

BobInTX I alsl thank you for your wonderful and insightful posts.
__________________
Quote:
On here I'm an *** hole.
In real life I'm an *** hole with a gun. :supergrin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, Iím mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 899
274 Members
625 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31