Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2010, 13:44   #5641
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
just got here, be here till atleast july of 2011.
I'm sorry. Hey, look on the bright side. Right when it gets to the hottest time of the year you get to go home and it'll feel so nice and cool to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Runner View Post
Did they serve you a world class seven course meal today?
Ummmmmmmmmm, no.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 13:58   #5642
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
I'm sorry. Hey, look on the bright side. Right when it gets to the hottest time of the year you get to go home and it'll feel so nice and cool to you.

Yeah, I'll freeze my tail off.

Let me know if you want to do lunch or something, I'm on a generals flight crew, so I only really work when he wants to fly.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 18:02   #5643
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Yeah, I'll freeze my tail off.

Let me know if you want to do lunch or something, I'm on a generals flight crew, so I only really work when he wants to fly.
But won't that be welcome after being in 130+ heat? I'd enjoy the hell out of it. Damn, you got a sham job, how'd you luck up on that?

Lunch sounds like a cool idea, you buying? :Or should I say "Your DFAC or mine?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Love you sweetheart: smootchie:: hugs:
Hey okie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Runner View Post
If we could convince Wolfe to post more details about the nightmares we probably could. Wolfe we are ready to read.

Wolfe is there any way you can keep yourself from rolling over onto your chest? It might be possible to prevent this particular nightmare if you could stop causing your chest such pain in your sleep.
You really don't want to read details about my nightmares, any more than I want to post them here.

Sawgrass asked me the same question about preventing myself from rolling over and I haven't come up with a solution yet. Any time I sleep at the hospital they put a restraint on me that helps some, but causes other problems. I like the idea of coming up with something, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
Do you hear yourself? Now you're not thinking with your heart, you're thinking like a general weighing costs and counting casualties. The convoy commander ordered him not to break cover for just those reasons. All of the arguments you listed are absolutely correct and undeniable. From a military point of view. From a military point of view Greg was probably a more valuable asset because he was a helicopter mechanic. Keeping the helicopters flying he probably could have saved more lives than just yours. That's the situation from a military point of view. Cold hard facts. Are you making yourself suffer because the outcome wasn't good from a military point of view?

Greg broke cover because he thought you were alive and that he could save you. He was 100% correct. You are alive. He did save you. Those are undeniable facts. There is no debate about this. Whether he did or did not know if you were alive is a mute point. The end result was what he hoped to accomplish. He wasn't thinking from a tactical military point of view or he wouldn't have disobeyed orders. He was thinking from the point of view of honor and as a human being. "I'm saving her and let the chips fall where they may".

He's dead. You're not. I know you're happy to be alive (most of the time), but in a way, I think what you are saying is that you would have gladly died beside that road in order to save Greg's life, with no regrets. Am I right?

So how is that different from what he did for you?

Just enjoy the gift he gave you, already!
OK, Iím going to write some. Itís 2AM, Iím tired as hell, but canít fall back to sleep yet. Maybe trying to write will make me get sleepy again. So here goesÖÖÖÖÖ

I was thinking about this a lot when I was on leave even though I know you told me not to, couldnít help it. Iím going to start by clearing up one misconception you have though, about Greg possibly saving more lives than I could. While what I do is more behind the scenes, these specialized computer systems used over here save a hell of a lot of lives every day. I wonít go into details and specifics, but I would venture to say that the system I was working on at the time saved more lives than any helicopter ever could. Itís just not in a way that youíd think about because itís less visible. From the military standpoint I was actually pretty valuable as I was one of the few people cross-trained in 2 related systems. Too bad I was never able to go back to working on that system. Where the facts come in is there, I was hurt and ended up having a long recovery, havenít been able to return to being even close to completely productive.

Yeah, he was right, I was alive and he saved me, but it sure wasnít smart to come out to me when he did. Yes, I would have gladly died laying on that road to have had him stay behind cover, healthy and uninjured. But yeah, I might have run out there to try to help him, too. Or I might not have. I like to think Iím that brave, but Iíll never know.

I never said it was any different, at least that I can remember at 2:30 in the morning when I canít fall back to sleep. I just said he shouldnít have done it. He should have stayed down and not gotten shot.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-16-2010, 19:14   #5644
BobInTX

I thought your job was valuable, and I was right. I just didn't want to say that here. Plus i wanted you to think about that :-) In hindsight they never should have let you go.

The whole thing sucks.
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 22:46   #5645
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
I thought your job was valuable, and I was right. I just didn't want to say that here. Plus i wanted you to think about that :-) In hindsight they never should have let you go.

The whole thing sucks.
Yeah, it does suck. Royally.

I already knew the part about the value of my job and the amount of training it takes. I won't name any names or anything, but you're right about the hindsight. There was a little bit of fallout over what happened. Nothing bad, but I did hear about it a couple months before okie started this thread.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-16-2010, 23:33   #5646
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
But won't that be welcome after being in 130+ heat? I'd enjoy the hell out of it. Damn, you got a sham job, how'd you luck up on that?

Lunch sounds like a cool idea, you buying? :Or should I say "Your DFAC or mine?"

I'll buy, I'll even go so far as to buy you an extra scoop of BR Ice cream

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 10-16-2010, 23:39   #5647
BobInTX

Quote:
Yeah, it does suck. Royally.

I already knew the part about the value of my job and the amount of training it takes. I won't name any names or anything, but you're right about the hindsight. There was a little bit of fallout over what happened. Nothing bad, but I did hear about it a couple months before okie started this thread.
I just wanted to hear you say it. I'm proud of your service and I know you are too. You're still serving, though not in uniform.

I'm sorry it turned out to be an either he died or you died situation. I keep wondering if they could have given you better protection leaving the MRAP, but I wasnt there and I don't know what I'm talking about.

I do have a question though. Why did the afghanis wait until you and Greg exited to open fire? Were they waiting for high value targets? Have you thought about that? Ok, that was 3 questions.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06   #5648
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
I just wanted to hear you say it. I'm proud of your service and I know you are too. You're still serving, though not in uniform.

I'm sorry it turned out to be an either he died or you died situation. I keep wondering if they could have given you better protection leaving the MRAP, but I wasnt there and I don't know what I'm talking about.

I do have a question though. Why did the afghanis wait until you and Greg exited to open fire? Were they waiting for high value targets? Have you thought about that? Ok, that was 3 questions.
Iíd have been a lot prouder of it if Iíd been able to serve as I was intended to, not as a basket case who shouldnít have been kept overseas. Now, yeah, different job and uniform, same fight.

So am I. Looking back I donít think they could have done much different unless they searched the area more thoroughly. I donít know the recommended procedure there. Once the shooting started there wasnít much that I think they could have done differently. Not that it would have helped me anyway, I was hit with one of the first rounds.

You answered your own question, thatís exactly why they waited. The first guys out are ďjust gruntsĒ. I say it in quotes because I donít think anyone is ďjust thisĒ or ďjust thatĒ, but you get the idea. But itís common knowledge over there that the protection force forms a perimeter before the people being protected get out. They probably thought they had shot the convoy commander or some Colonel. Wouldnít they be disappointed to know they only shot a Sergeant?

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-17-2010, 09:39   #5649
23skidoo
Deceased

Hi Sweetheart! Were you able to sleep last night? I sure hope so. The hugs are the most gentle one's yet.

Last edited by 23skidoo; 10-17-2010 at 09:41..
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:45   #5650
BobInTX

I think they would probably be delighted they shot an infidel woman.

Would you still feel guilt if Greg had just been killed and it was obvious he was dead and you couldn't do anything about it?

I believe if Greg hadn't tried to save you that he would be having extreme survivor's guilt now. Even though you appeared dead he would always have played "what if". He would be having the nightmares. Human beings feel what you feel. At least the ones who have a heart.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:57   #5651
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:

Would you still feel guilt if Greg had just been killed and it was obvious he was dead and you couldn't do anything about it?

I believe if Greg hadn't tried to save you that he would be having extreme survivor's guilt now. Even though you appeared dead he would always have played "what if". He would be having the nightmares. Human beings feel what you feel. At least the ones who have a heart.
I would agree with this because everything about Greg seems to indicate that he was a good person. He would always wondered if he could have made a difference. Would you rather have died and left him with that?

Quote:
Iíd have been a lot prouder of it if Iíd been able to serve as I was intended to, not as a basket case who shouldnít have been kept overseas. Now, yeah, different job and uniform, same fight.

Wouldnít they be disappointed to know they only shot a Sergeant?
Not only would they be proud they shot an infidel woman but one with the skills you have would be a real prize to them. You were a valuable resource and you still are. You also should be proud of your service because you not only went over there voluntarily but have continued to serve in spite of a debilitating injury and related problems. You may be doing a different job but still a very necessary one. Be proud of that as well as of the way you have fought back from near death and psychological problems.

Quote:
Do they have chocolate? I may have to join you if they do.

Quote:
You really don't want to read details about my nightmares, any more than I want to post them here.

Sawgrass asked me the same question about preventing myself from rolling over and I haven't come up with a solution yet. Any time I sleep at the hospital they put a restraint on me that helps some, but causes other problems. I like the idea of coming up with something, though.

Yeah, he was right, I was alive and he saved me, but it sure wasnít smart to come out to me when he did. Yes, I would have gladly died laying on that road to have had him stay behind cover, healthy and uninjured. But yeah, I might have run out there to try to help him, too. Or I might not have. I like to think Iím that brave, but Iíll never know.

I never said it was any different, at least that I can remember at 2:30 in the morning when I canít fall back to sleep. I just said he shouldnít have done it. He should have stayed down and not gotten shot.
Wolfe if we did not want to read about your nightmares we would not have asked you to post about them. Have you tried putting pillows all around yourself to make it harder to roll over in your sleep? I know you like to have enough pillows on the bed to almost cover it so maybe that would help.

When you say that you wish Greg had not saved you even at the cost of his own life do you think about that fact that he really saved two lives? If you had died that day who would have called the police to rescue 23skidoo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, Iím mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:05   #5652
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

We have chocolate, as well as all the fixings.

Old 10-17-2010, 13:33   #5653
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Make it Praline.... Or Cookies & Cream.... Oh heck, make it anything as long as you cover it with chocolate topping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
Hi Sweetheart! Were you able to sleep last night? I sure hope so.: hugs: The hugs are the most gentle one's yet.
Sleep? What's that? No, I only got about an hour sleep last night. My doc tried something different and it wasn't worth a damn.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-17-2010, 13:48   #5654
23skidoo
Deceased

I'm sorry you didn't sleep better Sweetheart.
Old 10-17-2010, 13:51   #5655
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
I'm sorry you didn't sleep better Sweetheart.
So is my doc. He said he didn't think that combo would do the trick, but had to rule it out. Means he won't try it again. Or at least he'd better not....

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-17-2010, 14:12   #5656
sawgrass

What's the agenda for tonight?
What about the pillow question?
Old 10-17-2010, 14:43   #5657
okie
GT Mayor

Love you sweetheart
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 15:44   #5658
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

Hey Baby

Our two siamese boys have a sister that my mom has.

Somehow she broke her toe the other night,inside the house too.

She is about half the size of the boys,when they were younger they looked all the same.

Boy she is pitifull ,supposed to have the cast on 4-6 weeks

Okie Memorial Area
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 16:25   #5659
BobInTX

Me-OWWWWW
Old 10-17-2010, 17:12   #5660
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Love you sweetheart: hearts:: hugs:
Hiya okie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeorge View Post
: wavey:Hey Baby

Our two siamese boys have a sister that my mom has.

Somehow she broke her toe the other night,inside the house too.

She is about half the size of the boys,when they were younger they looked all the same.

Boy she is pitifull ,supposed to have the cast on 4-6 weeks
Hiya Sweetie! How you been?

Of that poor little Siameesie! She does look pretty pitiful. You'd better give her lots of extra love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
What's the agenda for tonight?
What about the pillow question?
Tonight's agenda is to try to sleep starting in a few minutes. I love the pillow idea and have tried it many times. Problem is, the bad's too small and when I start to roll the pillows fall off the bed. I think it would work if I wasn't on a twin size bed.

Quote:

I guess they would be happy, they got an infidel woman, then killed an infidel man. I think I'd still feel some guilt if Greg had died like that instead of the way he did because of the fact that we were there at all after I'd been told to stay off convoys.

From what I knew of Greg I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Especially if he found out that I'd been alive the first few minutes while the fighting was going on. I hope he wouldn't have the nightmares as bad as I do, he probably wouldn't have had the drug reaction I did to make them worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX
Me-OWWWWW
I see what you did there. I'd be laughing my ass off if I wasn't out of smileys for this post.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

« Huge craving! | - »

Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!