SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:37   #626
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Okay, I headed down towards Central Florida this weekend to check on a possible job. Since I was going to be "so far South," I took some gear along to do some catfish fishing on the way back to town Sunday evening.

I went to "my spot," which typically has a peak biting time from supper to just after sunset, and ended up doing pretty good in spite of the day's 94+ heat and near or over 100+ heat index (or 'humiture' they may call it in your area). Did pretty good with the cat-fishing and as well had a couple guys I see there regularly give me a couple fish. (They know I'll clean and then give the fish, ready-to-cook, to anyone of a couple three homeless ministries here in my hometown.)

Anyway, onto why I am posting this all on Caturday's thread: As I am moving from one place to a spot for some late, overnight fishing, at the edge of my head lights I see a bobcat ( maybe 2 times the size of a big house cat) become startled and start staring at me (i.e. my truck). Typically, they will vamoose at the first sight of people, but this one waited to run off till I got like 50 feet away. btw- BEAUTIFUL bobcat! No biggie around here as seeing critters of all kinds is the norm. So I park and start getting out a couple poles and my gear. Then, I noticed something glowing in the distance, when moving my flashlight around trying to find stuff, and sure enough when I focus the beam of light in that direction, it's the bobcat again standing next to some scrub at the edge of the treeline. Oh no I thought... bobcats do NOT do this! They are gone usually before you see them. This one let me get close and now it won't leave. Something is up.

Now I start thinking about what might be wrong, which includes considering that maybe it is injured or even worse, it could be rabid. The video of the rabid bobcat in the bar, on this thread, comes to mind as well. I'm by myself and decide to just "be ready." After weighing the pros and cons of having, my Glock fotey yo, locked,loaded, and in open carry, which keep in mind this is in an area that is prime Florida hunting grounds, has some poaching going going on, and with hunting season still months away, I decide open carrying is a better option than being attacked/bit by a rabid animal while trying to retrieve it.

So I slip the G22 over my belt and start to get the rest of my gear picked out of the truck's bed and then shine the light along the bank trying to pick out a place to set up for fishing. Guess what? I see two more sets of glowing orbs, maybe 20 or 25 yards away. When I focus on the two set of eyes, they seem to be bobcats as well. I then shine back to the bush line and sure enough, those glowing orbs are still there, but now the bigger bobcat is just a little further down. It finally dawns on me. This has to be a momma, and her two kits "holed up" as I drove up, which two little ones this late in the year seemed weird to me (Edit: Until I looked it up on the net that their not born until sometimes as late as May.)

Anyway, momma's scared, but she is not running away. I'm all smiles now. Even though momma's about to have a coronary, I can't help but keep watching the two little ones as their heads bob up and down and keep looking towards my flashlight and then back at the scrub line where momma went. I can't hear her, but I bet they can. Oh well, enough's enough and I decide to go somewhere else to let these three go about their business.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 06-29-2009 at 10:45..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:57   #627
Inyo Tim
Senior Moment

Thanks for sharing that Peace Warrior. It was good of you to give up your fishing spot to spare bothering the mom and kittens. There are bobcats around here but you are right, they seldom show themselves. I find the tracks along the creeks and the river, but have only seen the bobcats a few times.
Here's a photo of my Bi-polar American Shorthair taken yesterday. This is Buster.

Last edited by Inyo Tim; 08-20-2009 at 15:41..
Inyo Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:40   #628
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Converse View Post
Thanks for sharing that Peace Warrior. It was good of you to give up your fishing spot to spare bothering the mom and kittens. There are bobcats around here but you are right, they seldom show themselves. I find the tracks along the creeks and the river, but have only seen the bobcats a few times...
I think the ONLY reasons I was able to even catch of glimpse of this one was the terrain and the fact she had kits. If you mentally picture a peace sign without a circle, with the sign's image itself being the water, I was pulling up to the point where the main river forked into two directions, which by the way is a good place for fishing , and she only had one direction back across my heading to run for cover, or else jump in the water. This is gator country and I bet she knew it too so she decided to take the dry route. I'm still amazed and won't soon forget what I saw last night.

As far as deferring to bobcats. I have to admit if I had never seen the kits, I would have stayed. Good thing I saw those two little guys. Thanks God.
Quote:
Here's a photo of my Bi-polar American Shorthair taken yesterday. This is Buster.
Yeah... that cat looks like he's got it good. Cool markings too.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
Old 06-29-2009, 12:56   #629
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Land lord found a kitten near a High School Sunday.

Marty Jo-Beth. She loves to sit in your lap and have her tummy rubbed. She is only a handful and drinks milk from a bowl like it is going out of style. She eating solid foods too. She is real small but doing ok.

Her eyes are a little runny, got to keep a watch on her for a while and see if they clear up.

The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
Old 06-29-2009, 13:41   #630
mikeivan

Bobcat

That is a cool Bobcat story. I have one too. Last month, my wife and I were down on the Texas Coast, birdwatching at our favorite refuge, sitting on a bench, watching a water hole for warblers. All of a sudden a Bobcat appeared, I mean just appeared, not a sound. Fortunately, I was ready to take bird photographs and got one good image before he just disappeared into the brush.

Attachment 176562
Amazing experience, no more than 30' from us.

Last edited by mikeivan; 10-06-2010 at 12:13..
mikeivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 17:04   #631
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post

Her eyes are a little runny, got to keep a watch on her for a while and see if they clear up.

Vitamin -C-

I'd give adult cats 500 mg, and the wee ones 250 every other day. The puss looking stuff coming out of the eyes will be gone in no time.

(Edit: Works for dogs too.)

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 06-29-2009 at 17:12..
Old 06-29-2009, 17:06   #632
exmdshooter
WWJMBD?

Stunning photo, mikeivan. Great bit of luck (not to disparage the skill of the photographer at all).
and Black Rifle club member #423
Pennsylvania Glockers club member #107
exmdshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 17:15   #633
Arquebus12
CLM Number 287
Non-broccophobe

Quote:
Land lord found a kitten near a High School Sunday.

Marty Jo-Beth. She loves to sit in your lap and have her tummy rubbed. She is only a handful and drinks milk from a bowl like it is going out of style. She eating solid foods too. She is real small but doing ok.

The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral

I want this one, too. Send him to me, Blitzer, and he'll have nothing but big fun at my house.

There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with $700 and a .30-06.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Arquebus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 18:32   #634
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivan View Post
That is a cool Bobcat story. I have one too. Last month, my wife and I were down on the Texas Coast, birdwatching at our favorite refuge, sitting on a bench, watching a water hole for warblers. All of a sudden a Bobcat appeared, I mean just appeared, not a sound. Fortunately, I was ready to take bird photographs and got one good image before he just disappeared into the brush.

Attachment 176562
Amazing experience, no more than 30' from us.
Nice photo... the one I watched run off was really plump with a "fatter" face and body. There were a lot of rabbits around that area, along with other types of critters, and the rip-rap placed further up the water way holds the rats now as people regularly kill ALL the snakes they notice while fishing.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:55   #635
CatsMeow

Another Turkish cat, this time at Hagia Sophia:

The Okie Corral

I'll try to upload some more kitty pics, perhaps of that kitten I befriended at the guard house; if only she would stop moving long enough for me to get a focused picture...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:57   #636
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Aristrocratic/.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15   #637
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed Lone_Wolfe. I found this photo after a Google Image search for "Unusual Cat Markings". If it is not a photo-shop, that is indeed an unusually marked cat.

Is kitty's name Harlequin?

Comic book character, side kick of the Joker in the batman TV cartoons.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:19   #638
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Land Lord's recuse kitty, only 5 weeks old a far a we can tell. Tommie Jo.

Eats like a pig and slurps up lactose free milk like a vacuum cleaner, and loves to cuddle and purr!.

The Okie Corral
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50   #639
PinkCat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Somm View Post
For PinkCat33:

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Thats Awesome...Thanks B. Somm!
Old 06-30-2009, 21:34   #640
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Land Lord's recuse kitty, only 5 weeks old a far a we can tell. Tommie Jo.

Eats like a pig and slurps up lactose free milk like a vacuum cleaner, and loves to cuddle and purr!.

The Okie Corral
Very nice
Old 06-30-2009, 21:47   #641
Inyo Tim
Senior Moment

Tommie Joe has a cute little spot by his nose. That age is when they are the most fun to watch. Everything is new to them. Does he have other kitties to play with?
Inyo Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:08   #642
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed Lone_Wolfe. I found this photo after a Google Image search for "Unusual Cat Markings". If it is not a photo-shop, that is indeed an unusually marked cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-linux View Post
Best wishes on the surgery. I'm sure the little one appreciates it.

-Dave & Barb
Thanks for the well-wishes guys. She came through the surgery fine and I'm still waiting on the results. BTW, Tim, I vote photo-chop also on that colorful kitty. Awesome looking, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
It'll be benign LW, probably just grew out of the stress kitteh has from missing you and knowing you got hurt.
I sure hope you're right Peace Warrior. I was home on emergency leave and the first night there I went and got my kitties. I was rubbing her for the first time since September and felt a large marble sized lump on here side. I just arrived back in Baghdad and am hoping to find out her test results today.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:13   #643
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

I got bad news today...

This baby here has a rare and aggressive form of cancer. According to the vet it usually recurs even with treatment. Damn...

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Seems like so much has gone wrong for me and this just makes it hurt worse...

Any prayers would be appreciated.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by Lone_Wolfe; 07-03-2009 at 08:24..
Old 07-03-2009, 09:59   #644
BAILIFF
Piece Officer

A

The Okie Corral
BAILIFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:04   #645
Upgrayedd
aka hand banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
This baby here has a rare and aggressive form of cancer. According to the vet it usually recurs even with treatment. Damn...

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

I'm so sorry to hear that. Prayers sent.
Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:07   #646
rockabillyrider

Quote:

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Prayers sent, and a big hug. Having been in a similar situation recently I know how hard it is.
rockabillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:40   #647
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILIFF View Post
The Okie Corral
Damn, that just made me lose it. I hate to think about that part. It's hard enough with my kitties being in the states and me being here. But I have to say, she has had an easy life. Spoiled too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that. Prayers sent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabillyrider View Post
Prayers sent, and a big hug. Having been in a similar situation recently I know how hard it is.

Thank you Hand Banana and rockabillyrider. I know you both just lost beautiful kitties recently and they are both featured in this thread.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-03-2009, 22:17   #648
Upgrayedd
aka hand banana

Quote:
Thank you Hand Banana and rockabillyrider. I know you both just lost beautiful kitties recently and they are both featured in this thread.
One last time
The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 22:20   #649
Upgrayedd
aka hand banana

The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral