SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2014, 17:37   #1
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Are you living on 'borrowed' time?

Okay...besides LoneWolfe...that's a no-brainer.

Are you here today, typing on GT, when your rightful place is in a cold, dark, underground box?

If so, why?

Mine was in 1995.
I was a freefall videographer. I was shooting video of a skydiving student who 'froze'. Normally not a problem. Except that this guy was 240 pounds and he froze in the fetal position.
So he went terminal at 250 MPH. His instructor (Mike Webber) went after him, and so did I.
We're both standing on our heads going down as fast as we can.
This student might die, but he wasn't going to die alone.
The student's AAD fired at around 1000 feet.
Mike pulled his reserve.
I should have pulled my reserve, but I pulled my main parachute.
Fortunately, I was jumping my Sabre 150 and not my Jedi 136.
It opened hard and fast, as it usually did.
Then I hit the ground....maybe one second later. In the parking lot of the drop zone, right next to the beer truck that was delivering kegs for the night's Halloween party.

I've considered every day since then to be 'bonus time'.
Old 07-24-2014, 17:49   #2
Sigobsessed

I've had lots of close calls but your story is pretty scary.
Old 07-24-2014, 18:00   #3
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

Nothing too spectacular, but remember that Osprey that went down in Arizona in 2000, killing 19 Marines? My gunny asked me if I wanted to take a ride on it about three days prior. I really didn't trust that aircraft at the time and I'm not normally the volunteering type, so I declined.

Two other guys in the shop actually did want to go, but they got piss-drunk the night before (which is strange for Marines), and overslept the alarm.
Which is it, people? Are you going to preach personal responsibility and individual accountability, or are you going to blame everything wrong in your life on liberals, foreigners, minorities and Hollywood?

Last edited by Rizzo; 07-24-2014 at 18:01..
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:02   #4
Totn27

OP, thanks for sharing

Back in 87 I bought a Honda Hurricane the first day they hit the dealership, it was a nice bike but anyone that rides or has ridden knows you must respect them and watch out for everyone else because they are not watching out for you.

Long story short I was racing and ended up laying it down and got hit by a car doing 55mph, I almost got completely ran over. Helmet cracked but did not bust open, Lots of road rash and broke scapula, many say that I got lucky. I don`t believe in luck, it just was not my time to go, God obviously still had things that he wanted me to full-fill.

Nobody is promised tomorrow. Live everyday like it is your last and live your life right, who knows ya may see 90 years old.

We are all living on borrowed time.

Last edited by Totn27; 07-24-2014 at 18:04..
Totn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:10   #5
10mm Sonny

A drunk driver in a Chevy Blazer decided t run the light and make a left turn in front of me while I was riding my motorcycle. I think I impacted off her right front quarter panel and it whipped me head first into the asphalt. If I wasn't wearing my helmet...

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Nissan to my right took most of the damage.
10mm Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:15   #6
BSA70

Gosh, that is a good story. Really have no war stories to share. I did come very close to gassing out and drowning.

If you think about it. We are all on borrowed time....
BSA70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:16   #7
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Considering that I've ridden motorcycles an average of 10,000 or so miles a year for the last 45 years, I figure I'm a lucky s.o.b., definitely on borrowed time.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:23   #8
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigobsessed View Post
I've had lots of close calls but your story is pretty scary.
Not trying to impress.
The guy's wife was in that parking lot. She didn't realize what had happened until she overheard me and Mike discussing what had just happened. It was supposed to be his last student jump before going off student status. We all got pretty drunk that night. He never jumped again.
Old 07-24-2014, 18:28   #9
Diesel_Bomber

1. Psycho came to my door with a gun, stated he was going to kill me and my family, and then did his best to do so. He did not succeed, and there was still a bullet hole in the porch ceiling when I moved out.

2. Ran off the road on a motorcycle. Options were rear end the red SUV that cut me off, get in a head-on with a semi truck, or take the nice tour of the farmers field that I wound up doing. Weeks in the hospital, years of PT, still screwed up and will be in pain my entire life.

3. Woke up in the back of an ambulance on the way to the hospital. I have blood sugar issues, the only reason I woke up at all is because my wife injected a glucogen pack.

I value every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:29   #10
robjohn

When I was in high school, I came home one afternoon and started rummaging through the kitchen looking for something to eat. My mother proclaimed from the living room "the stove is broken" and I immediately responded with "who told you about it?!"

I thought I was a goner.
robjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:42   #11
Jeffe

Born with Aortic stenosis. Made it to 16 when I felt my heart stop. Those few seconds before it started back up again really hurt. Valve replace with human valve, lasted 11 years. Replaced with a carbon fiber valve 5 or so years ago. 2 years ago it got a clot on it. I dislodged the clot at work. I should have died. I chose not to. October 28th I had gastric sleeve (bypass) surgery. 2 days after I couldn't get up, I was bleeding internally. 5 units of blood and 11 days later I left the hospital. There were 2 days in there I thought there is nothing I can do, this is up to the doctors.

My whole life is borrowed time but I am too stubborn to give in.
Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:50   #12
XDRoX

Mine happened in 1995. I was 19 years old. Myself, my buddy, and his dad camped out in the desert for a little camping and shooting. I think we only stayed one night. Maybe two.

On the drive home my buddy was driving, his dad sitting shotgun and I was in the backseat behind the driver. It was a brand new full size Ford Bronco I believe. May have been a Blazer. I do remember it was new and full size.

My buddy was probably driving 40-50mph in the open desert. We came upon a turn that he didn't notice soon enough. He had to make a sharp turn to not drive off the path. That started the truck into a bad lean and then my buddy turned the wheel the other way to try to correct for his oversteering. He over steered again. This sent the truck into 3 full rolls.

None of us had our seatbelts on. I was ejected through the back side window head first with my head breaking the window as I flew out. My buddy's father was also ejected from the vehicle but the truck rolled over him killing him instantly.

I stood up about 30 feet from where the truck stopped rolling. I had a broken shoulder from hitting the ground and I had a cut on my side about 7 inches long. The window must have cut me open as I flew through it. I could see straight into my stomach.

As the truck rolled all of our supplies were also thrown from the vehicle. I remember seeing a roll of paper towels on the ground. I walked over and picked it up and placed the whole roll over the cut on my side to help stop the bleeding. I took off my belt and tightened it around me and the paper towels as tight as I could get it. I remember looking around and seeing at least 20 guns scattered all over the place. I remember my buddy at his dad's side crying on his knees as he knew he was gone.

My buddy and me stated to walk toward the highway which was about 4 miles away. I remember stopping to pee and urinating straight blood. We continued for about 5 more minutes with my buddy helping me walk. At this time because of the loss of blood I couldn't walk any longer. I was too dizzy and starting to lose my vision. I sat at the side of the path we were on and my buddy ran for help. I'm not sure exactly how long I was there by myself. Probably only a few minutes when he came back with a dune buggy of people that were off-roading in the desert. They radioed an ambulance and stayed with us until the paramedics got there.

I was taken to to a nearby hospital in the desert where I underwent surgery. They ended up taking out my spleen out. I don't remember the ambulance ride to the hospital but I remember everything else. I spent a week in that hispital and then my parents had me flown to another hospital on the cliffs of the ocean near our home. I spent another week there.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:53   #13
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe View Post
Born with Aortic stenosis. Made it to 16 when I felt my heart stop. Those few seconds before it started back up again really hurt. Valve replace with human valve, lasted 11 years. Replaced with a carbon fiber valve 5 or so years ago. 2 years ago it got a clot on it. I dislodged the clot at work. I should have died. I chose not to. October 28th I had gastric sleeve (bypass) surgery. 2 days after I couldn't get up, I was bleeding internally. 5 units of blood and 11 days later I left the hospital. There were 2 days in there I thought there is nothing I can do, this is up to the doctors.

My whole life is borrowed time but I am too stubborn to give in.
Yet another reminder not to take health for granted. Hang in there, Jeffe.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:58   #14
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Twice

Surfing accident at 14. Landed on my head in shallow water so hard, it punctured my lungs. Air around my heart and trachea, parents didn't take me to the hospital until my voice changed, and blood was being coughed up. Accident happened at 3ish pm, hospital at 11ish pm...Close to three weeks in the hospital, trachea kit next to the bed, which scared the hell out of me.

In 93, at 25, I got chicken pox...bad. Started having trouble breathing, my wife took me to the hospital, and they decided to admit me. I recall waiting on a room, irritated because I was miserable, itchy, and couldn't breathe. The next thing I recall, was waking up, unable to speak because a tube was taped to my mouth. I pulled the tube, tried to breathe, but couldn't. There was a flurry of activity around me, and the lights went out. Woke again, did the same thing, same flurry of activity, and lights out again. Third time I woke, my arms were strapped to the bed. I had chicken pox, and pneumonia, and my body couldn't fight both. My lungs had collapsed, and I was on life support, that was what I pulled out when I woke. Anyway, Dr's prepared my wife to the possibility that I wasn't coming home, worst case of pox they'd ever seen.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:58   #15
Batesmotel

Had an unwed teenaged mother who gave me up for adoption. I was born malnourished and sick. At two days old I was diagnosed with measles and an undetermined secondary infection. I was sent home with a nurse on death watch so I didn't infect the other babies.

When I made it a month the hospital went ahead with the adoption process. Only long term effect is some minor paralysis on the left side of my face and my left arm. They think it was from the fever.

The real spooky part is I found out that the doctor who did the emergency delivery on me died in the Utah State Prison for murder. He was the #1 underground abortionist in the state. He also had a habit of breaking the necks of babies of unwed mothers especially if the delivery was an emergency or the baby was sick. They were just written off as stillborn. No one looked into it for years.

I think I came out so fast he didn't have time to do it.

I have had a few other close calls but I really think I am on borrowed time.
Old 07-24-2014, 19:01   #16
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

I'm walking towards my van's driver side door. I notice some guy staring, not looking or casually watching, but staring at me to my right. His facial expression was "wrong," you know. As I get closer to my vehicle, I noticed two guys on my left walking a diagonal towards my me and my van. As I turn to find the guy on the right, he is now walking towards me, still staring, and I just catch him motioning with his hand. I'm thinking, he motioned to someone I haven't noticed yet.

I get to the driver's door and sure enough, in the passenger side blind spot mirror I noticed guy #4 walking up from the other side of the van. So far, all this is just making the hairs on the back of neck stand up, but not really worried yet.

Then as I look to my left again, one of the two guys nods to his buddy and breaks off from him to start walking right towards me. I get really worried (scared even) at this point. I can feel my hand shaking as I decide to call for "backup."

"Watch Dog! Watch!" I blurt out.

Like a boss Brown Dog leaps on the driver's seat and plants his front paws the dash board. I whisper, "Watch him Bo Bo." He starts growling at the guy making his way towards me. He sees my Pooch snarling at him and almost falls backwards he stops so quick. I then point to the passenger window and say "Watch!"

Brown Dog hangs His front paws out the window while impatiently lifting first one, then the other back paw off the seat waiting for His command to attack. I can tell, even from behind, that He has found "a target." He reminds me He's ready to go by giving me some deep, low, vicious sounding growls. By the time I have a pistol in my hand, which was kept in the van back in the day, I cannot find ANYONE near me or the van. No where.

I thought my goose was cooked that day for sure.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Thanks, but I typically don't follow the advice of condescending dolts." -GT's own: badge315

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 07-24-2014 at 19:04..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 19:26   #17
GRD67

A long time ago my grandmother was trying to book passage on the Titanic to come here from Ireland, but it was already full, so she had to take the next ship.

Second time, it was my job to burn the trash and I was in a hurry so I went to the shed to get a one gallon gas can which was half full. I already got the fire going when I poured the gas onto it and the can exploded and I got gas all over me, my shirt was soaked. The can fell into the fire and I didn't want my dad to know what I had done, so I reached over the fire to get the can. I pulled the can out when I realized what I had done, thank God the gas did not ignite. I was just a dumb 10 or 11 years old when it happened.
GRD67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 19:43   #18
ysr_racer

This one time at band camp...
Old 07-24-2014, 19:48   #19
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Every day everyone passes several chances to die. It just takes a lot of things to work together, and most times they don't. Sometimes you get to see one come close and it makes you aware, but if you were aware of every one you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. And die of infected bedsores.

Last edited by gwalchmai; 07-24-2014 at 19:48..
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 19:55   #20
Gray_Rider

Nearly drowned twice as a kid. Nothing near like what you brave men lived through. Bates. My heart goes out to you. Sometimes I am thankfull there is a hell...

My stories are far too insignifigant to mention.

"We don't hold grudges. We remember the facts."

Gray_Rider