Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-13-2014, 19:46   #1
vart

Lawnmower buying tips...

Buying a house with a 9000 sq ft lot and all grass.

I'm going to be looking for a push mower, self-propelled, and under $400.

My last mower was great and I bought it new at Sears for about $300 8 years ago.

What's a good mid-level brand? Cheapest place to buy a mower?

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 20:25   #2
mossytxn

Stihl. Buy once cry once. I have about the same size lot. Even at once a week use and changing the oil and filter religiously, my sears mower needed lots of love to only last 5 years.

Honda is a good second choice.
mossytxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 20:31   #3
JMag

I bought a rear wheel self-propelled Lawnboy that starts on first pull or turn of the key & works like a champ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 21:29   #4
High Altitude

Honda at Home Depot.

Best mower I have ever owned. Last time I was at HD it was priced at $399.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-...9VKA/203709643

Last edited by High Altitude; 04-13-2014 at 21:30..
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 21:34   #5
CourtCop

I've had that Honda mower from Home Depot for a couple of years. Great mower. Very even cut and fairly quiet.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app
CourtCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 21:51   #6
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

I have a JD from Lowe's that works great.

Craig's list will have good buys from time to time. You can find someone getting rid of an almost new mower at times.

Check out My Tractor Forum or Lawn Mower Forum for more advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 04-13-2014, 22:04   #7
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I have over 10 years on my Honda mower. Self propelled. Always starts, always works. Last year I had to buy new wheels for it, the bearings were worn out they wobbled terribly.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 22:10   #8
Qman2

Husqvarna's are junk! Went to Lowes at the end of the season and they had a bunch of them for sale....all that had been returned and repaired. The sales person told me they don't even recommend them anymore.
Qman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 22:14   #9
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Honda at Home Depot.

Best mower I have ever owned. Last time I was at HD it was priced at $399.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-...9VKA/203709643
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtCop View Post
I've had that Honda mower from Home Depot for a couple of years. Great mower. Very even cut and fairly quiet.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I have over 10 years on my Honda mower. Self propelled. Always starts, always works. Last year I had to buy new wheels for it, the bearings were worn out they wobbled terribly.

^^^^I agree! Best push mower ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman2 View Post
Husqvarna's are junk! Went to Lowes at the end of the season and they had a bunch of them for sale....all that had been returned and repaired. The sales person told me they don't even recommend them anymore.

^^^^Husqvarna is FAR from junk... I've got many, many hours on my rider and haven't had the first issue.

Word of advice- Don't get your mower advice from some 16 year old lowes employee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 04-13-2014 at 22:33..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 22:21   #10
Diesel_Bomber

Cruise garage sales, you can pick up a mower that "ran great last year but just won't start this year" for a song. Clean out the carb and get mowing.

I love my Toro. Would probably go that route again, though I'm pretty sure the 2 stroke Suzuki engine on mine is no longer produced.

Last edited by Diesel_Bomber; 04-13-2014 at 22:23..
Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 22:34   #11
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Can't help you as I don't know what's good now. My dad gave me his old lawn mower when I bought a house. I've had it since 2004 and the receipt says my dad bought it in April of 1997. That's 17 years. Had some trouble keeping it running last year so I thought I was going to have to buy a new one this year, but I finished the lawn today without it quoting (did take 6 or 7 pulls to get it started though). Looks like it might make it through it's 18th season of lawn care.
Old 04-13-2014, 22:37   #12
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
Can't help you as I don't know what's good now. My dad gave me his old lawn mower when I bought a house. I've had it since 2004 and the receipt says my dad bought it in April of 1997. That's 17 years. Had some trouble keeping it running last year so I thought I was going to have to buy a new one this year, but I finished the lawn today without it quoting (did take 6 or 7 pulls to get it started though). Looks like it might make it through it's 18th season of lawn care.
What kind is it?

Quote:
Old 04-13-2014, 22:43   #13
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but my 4 year old Honda has been fantastic. Got it tuned up last week for the first time since I got it. Great mower.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 22:47   #14
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
What kind is it?
Doh!

Yard Man. Briggs & Stratton engine. Not self propelled though. Ancient technology by now I'm sure.

Last edited by 686Owner; 04-13-2014 at 22:48..
686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07   #15
The_Dan
was Dan_ntx

Just fly me out and follow me to the store of your choice... Whatever mower I choose, simply pick the polar opposite. I have the anti-Midas touch with mowers.

I moved a couple of years ago and had to choose between hiring a pool guy and keeping my yard guy...pool guy won. I needed a mower, did research, and bought a manual pusher from HD with a Briggs motor...simple machine. Didn't last through the first tank of fuel before motor seized. HD said it was part of a bad batch, gave refund and I borrowed a mower until winter. This year I went out again and have bought 2... One at HD that wouldn't start out of the box, and when refunded another from local Ace hardware that also would not start...I even had the Ace manager guy almost induce a stroke trying to start it upon return.
All of these were manual pushers with Briggs motors...pretty simple and basically the same mower as the 9 year old version I had borrowed from my dad when he bought his $399 propelled Honda last year.

I eventually just bought my dad's "spare" old mower and it still runs fine... But if buying new I would (now) save the time and trouble and just buy a Honda.
The_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:20   #16
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman2 View Post
Quote:
^^^^I agree! Best push mower ever!

^^^^Husqvarna is FAR from junk... I've got many, many hours on my rider and haven't had the first issue.

Word of advice- Don't get your mower advice from some 16 year old lowes employee.
One thing you must understand on a push mower is that they are basically a vessel upon which an engine is carried. In other words, it's all about the motor.

Husqvarna uses the Kohler twin-cylinder engine on a lot of their mowers. Very good engine.

However, Kohler's single-cylinder lawn mower engines are pretty much useless, and I see a LOT of Husqvarna mowers with those. My guess is that it is because Briggs and Honda both make their own mowers (Briggs owns MTD now).

I have a Troy-Bilt with a Briggs engine that I have had for probably 8 years. It has been good but since I got my riding mower (about 6-7 years ago I think) it gets little use. It still starts okay but does need starter fluid sometimes - primarily because of how long it sits I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 04-14-2014 at 06:22..
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:29   #17
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
One thing you must understand on a push mower is that they are basically a vessel upon which an engine is carried. In other words, it's all about the motor.

Husqvarna uses the Kohler twin-cylinder engine on a lot of their mowers. Very good engine.

However, Kohler's single-cylinder lawn mower engines are pretty much useless, and I see a LOT of Husqvarna mowers with those. My guess is that it is because Briggs and Honda both make their own mowers (Briggs owns MTD now).

I have a Troy-Bilt with a Briggs engine that I have had for probably 8 years. It has been good but since I got my riding mower (about 6-7 years ago I think) it gets little use. It still starts okay but does need starter fluid sometimes - primarily because of how long it sits I think.
My Husqvarna rider has the twin-v 22hp Briggs, and it's a mowing beast... I had an old Troy built rider with the Kohler 20hp twin cylinder and it was great as well.

Don't know much about the single cylinder kohlers... My Troy built push mower has a small Briggs on it, is about 7 years old and fires on the first pull. Though, it does get used every week that I mow (for the hard to reach areas).

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50   #18
winglock

Vart are you talking 9K sq. ft. more than what the house sits on or does the 9K sq. ft. include the house on it? If so it shouldn't take too much of a mower. In that case you should be able to pick up a mower at Walmart for around$200.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:40   #19
The Hawk

I have a Toro personal pace mower that was purchased in 2000. It still starts on the first or second pull and the lawn looks great when I finish cutting with that mower. If it dies this season (I have already cut the yard twice with it) I will purchase another Toro personal pace mower.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01   #20
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
My Husqvarna rider has the twin-v 22hp Briggs, and it's a mowing beast... I had an old Troy built rider with the Kohler 20hp twin cylinder and it was great as well.

Don't know much about the single cylinder kohlers... My Troy built push mower has a small Briggs on it, is about 7 years old and fires on the first pull. Though, it does get used every week that I mow (for the hard to reach areas).
How old is the Briggs engine? There's kind of a nasty little secret on Briggs:

A lot of their engines (22HP, 20 HP, etc) are the same engine with different labels. They make enough power to be rated at the labeled rating but you may actually be getting 22 HP out of an engine rated at 18 HP.

Obviously this is a good thing if you bought one of the smaller Briggs engines.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:10   #21
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
How old is the Briggs engine? There's kind of a nasty little secret on Briggs:

A lot of their engines (22HP, 20 HP, etc) are the same engine with different labels. They make enough power to be rated at the labeled rating but you may actually be getting 22 HP out of an engine rated at 18 HP.

Obviously this is a good thing if you bought one of the smaller Briggs engines.
I've heard that before... I bought it about 3 years back. I had a 20hp Kohler on my old Troy built and I can tell no difference in power with the "22hp" Briggs. I wouldn't doubt if it was only pushing 18hp or so.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:30   #22
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
I've heard that before... I bought it about 3 years back. I had a 20hp Kohler on my old Troy built and I can tell no difference in power with the "22hp" Briggs. I wouldn't doubt if it was only pushing 18hp or so.
18 HP is a little bit low - the standard is (I think) 85% of rating. It is probably closer to 19 HP (may be more - no guarantees that they are running at the minimum).

What it results from is that Briggs makes engines for a lot of lawn mower manufacturers and manufacturer B wants more power than manufacturer A, so they just up-rate the mower.

All the while it is making the specs appropriate for the maximum rating that setup can carry.

I think they got away from doing that after a while. People who bought more expensive mowers just to get more powerful engines were none too pleased when they found out about this.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 11:26   #23
JuneyBooney

Troy Bilt from Lowes are around 250 or a bit more for self propel and work very well.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:47   #24
sombunya

I have a new Honda with automatic choke. There are no controls on it except a variable speed to control how fast you walk and a little bar you hold down that shuts it off when you let go of it.

Mine sat for almost three months over the winter. One pull only to start it.

Always one pull to start it.

http://www.hopeforpaws.org
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 13:15   #25
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombunya View Post
I have a new Honda with automatic choke. There are no controls on it except a variable speed to control how fast you walk and a little bar you hold down that shuts it off when you let go of it.

Mine sat for almost three months over the winter. One pull only to start it.

Always one pull to start it.
Same with mine. Very simple, convenient, and reliable.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote