Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2014, 19:59   #1
hunter 111

sad death for a good dog

http://news.yahoo.com/police-dog-die...tsrc=samsungwn

I am upset what a stupid thing to happen

Dupe post sorry

Last edited by hunter 111; 10-08-2014 at 20:19..
hunter 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 20:55   #2
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

That's horrible
Old 10-08-2014, 20:56   #3
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

He needs to be fired and arrested

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 21:26   #4
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

The Okie Corral

What a sad loss with no accountability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 21:44   #5
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 22:15   #6
plp

Somebody needs to get hung out to dry over this, forget the financial loss to the department, although that is considerable.

This is pure negligence, no excuse.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 22:40   #7
Eric
Big Giant Head

Guys, if this thread devolves into cop bashing like the other one did, I'll close it as well.
Old 10-08-2014, 22:50   #8
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Guys, if this thread devolves into cop bashing like the other one did, I'll close it as well.
It is not cops that deserve to be bashed, it is the animals handler. I don't care who it works for.

Nothing is as devoted to you as a well trained GSD, and to abandon it to die in a car is criminally negligent IMHO, and the handler should be tried, and if convicted, jailed.

Ruhe in Frieden, Beny.

Old 10-08-2014, 23:03   #9
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbruno View Post
It is not cops that deserve to be bashed, it is the animals handler. I don't care who it works for.

Nothing is as devoted to you as a well trained GSD, and to abandon it to die in a car is criminally negligent IMHO, and the handler should be tried, and if convicted, jailed.

Ruhe in Frieden, Beny.
I agree completely, but any time the subject of LEO's comes up in a topic, even peripherally, there are a number of people that use it as an opportunity to grind their axe. That is why I keep asking people to confine that topic to the Cop Talk forum.

As for the dog, that is a real tragedy. No creature should have to die like that. I do think it is likely that the guy simply forgot. He made a huge error, with tragic consequences. If he loved the dog, as the story said he did, he will carry that guilt the rest of his life.

As the story also mentioned, he may still face criminal charges. If such chargers are laid against him, he is pretty obviously culpable, but even so, I doubt if he is a bad guy. He screwed up badly, but that doesn't make him an evil person. I don't envy him the psychological burden he will carry with him from this. I bet he wishes he had that day back. Poor dog.
Old 10-08-2014, 23:13   #10
Ohio Copper

That happened near here a few years ago, turns out the "hot box" device in the car malfunctioned, officer was suspended for a policy violation and I'm not sure what happened with the malfunction.

Our K9 hangs out in the report room with us when we're on station.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 23:20   #11
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I agree completely, but any time the subject of LEO's comes up in a topic, even peripherally, there are a number of people that use it as an opportunity to grind their axe. That is why I keep asking people to confine that topic to the Cop Talk forum.

As for the dog, that is a real tragedy. No creature should have to die like that. I do think it is likely that the guy simply forgot. He made a huge error, with tragic consequences. If he loved the dog, as the story said he did, he will carry that guilt the rest of his life.

As the story also mentioned, he may still face criminal charges. If such chargers are laid against him, he is pretty obviously culpable, but even so, I doubt if he is a bad guy. He screwed up badly, but that doesn't make him an evil person. I don't envy him the psychological burden he will carry with him from this. I bet he wishes he had that day back. Poor dog.
Like you, I'm certain that he is devastated about the loss.

However. I find it hard to believe anyone could forget they have an 80-90 lb animal in their vehicle. A GSD panting in the back seat always gets your attention, and they get excited and vocal when nearing familiar places.

From the article:

Quote:
Sgt. Brett Harrison left the dog in a cruiser in the station parking lot from about 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., according to a statement from police Tuesday. The cruiser was off and the windows were closed.
I frequently have 1, sometimes 2 crated animals that spend hours in and out of crates in my vehicle. It is so easy to ensure it is shaded and ventilated for their safety.

I have a fondness for this breed, and it really chaps my ass to see someone neglect such an intelligent, loyal, and highly trained animal.

Nice guys make mistakes, and those mistakes must be atoned for IMHO.

Beny paid the ultimate price, in a horrible way, poor little man.

Last edited by itisbruno; 10-08-2014 at 23:21..
Old 10-09-2014, 03:31   #12
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

I'm not anti cop

I'm anti animal abuse

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:29   #13
SC Tiger
Some say...

RIP to Beny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post

That happened near here a few years ago, turns out the "hot box" device in the car malfunctioned, officer was suspended for a policy violation and I'm not sure what happened with the malfunction.

Our K9 hangs out in the report room with us when we're on station.
What is the "hot box" device? I assume it either opens a window or brings in fresh air if the interior temp of the car gets too hot, but I have never heard of it. I wonder if it is available for civilian cars.

ETA - looked it up. Pretty slick system if you get all the bells and whistles. It can roll down the windows, turn on a fan, and make the car horn and alarm go ape####.

Another dumb question - would it be possible to give the dog a window control of his own that would open the window enough for him to get air (but not enough for him to get out) and train him or her to use it? As well trained as a police GSD is I would think that would be possible, but I am not very knowledgeable on dogs at all.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 10-09-2014 at 06:33..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:41   #14
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

I was fortunate enough to have a Dog that would so tenaciously protect the vehicle He was in that I never had a second thought about leaving it running with the A/C on here in Florida.

This sucks and has to be like losing a child in the same way. I feel bad for the K9's partner. I bet no amount of discipline from the department will make him feel any better.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:44   #15
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Here's one locally that really pulling the heart strings of people that respect service Dogs. St. John's County proper is the next county south of us but East of the St. John's River.

http://latest.today/index/authoritie...-police-canine
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:49   #16
mgs
Always Carrying

Dam shame.....great looking Shepherd.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:05   #17
frank4570
Silver Membership

I wonder if this is one of those areas where the animal is no longer considered just an animal. I know criminals get charged for harming police officer k9s. What would happen if a police officer made a similar mistake and killed a human police officer?

Also, people accidentally kill their own children this way every year. My wife thinks with the technology available it is time the computer monitors if there is a living being inside the vehicle when it starts to get dangerous.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:09   #18
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Here's one locally that really pulling the heart strings of people that respect service Dogs. St. John's County proper is the next county south of us but East of the St. John's River.

http://latest.today/index/authoritie...-police-canine
That ain't gonna end well for the suspect.

Personally, I like animals better than most people I know. There aren't a whole lot of people outside my immediate family I would sacrifice my cat to save.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:11   #19
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
I wonder if this is one of those areas where the animal is no longer considered just an animal. I know criminals get charged for harming police officer k9s. What would happen if a police officer made a similar mistake and killed a human police officer?

Also, people accidentally kill their own children this way every year. My wife thinks with the technology available it is time the computer monitors if there is a living being inside the vehicle when it starts to get dangerous.
A "hotbox detector" similar to what a poster above mentioned. I don't know why this would not work for a child or a dog. There would need to be some sort of system that turned it off if the child wasn't in the car (since I assume K9s stay in their cars a lot more often by themselves than human children).

http://www.rayallen.com/product/f-se...-alert-systems

Quote:
Old 10-09-2014, 07:26   #20
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
A "hotbox detector" similar to what a poster above mentioned. I don't know why this would not work for a child or a dog. There would need to be some sort of system that turned it off if the child wasn't in the car (since I assume K9s stay in their cars a lot more often by themselves than human children).

http://www.rayallen.com/product/f-se...-alert-systems
Seems like it should have a redundant system with battery back-up.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote