Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old Yesterday, 20:26   #1
LockHavenYellow
Flyin' Low

Credit card account closed for inactivity.

It was a zero balance for a couple years and they just closed it. The ironic part is that I just called a few weeks ago to get a new card issued just in case...they sent it and it was set to expire this month (same month I requested it).

My credit is very good...just bought a house, new car, zero CC debt, and pay all of my bills.

Will this hurt my credit score? I'm a little pissed that they didn't inform me that it'd be shut down this month after getting a new card sent just recently.

NRA Life Member
GOA Member
LockHavenYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:38   #2
Jon_R
Silver Membership

I am hoping they start closing mine. :-) have a bunch with zero use and no plan to use them again.

Having less credit available can effect your score. Pending the details it can help or it can hurt. i think for max score they are looking for you to be in a range. To high goes down and to low it goes down. Just bought the house car and do not want more credit so what difference does it make. :-)

You are costing the cc company money each month. Good move by them to get the account closed and off the books.

Last edited by Jon_R; Yesterday at 20:39..
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:59   #3
LockHavenYellow
Flyin' Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
I am hoping they start closing mine. :-) have a bunch with zero use and no plan to use them again.

Having less credit available can effect your score. Pending the details it can help or it can hurt. i think for max score they are looking for you to be in a range. To high goes down and to low it goes down. Just bought the house car and do not want more credit so what difference does it make. :-)

You are costing the cc company money each month. Good move by them to get the account closed and off the books.
Fair enough. I mean, I really didn't use the card (obviously) and I have a main card with a high limit from my bank. So, I'm all set for now...just kinda miffed me with the new card being sent and then the "closing your account" letter a week later.

NRA Life Member
GOA Member
Old Yesterday, 21:10   #4
Phaze5ive

Don't forget credit history. If it was the card that you've had the longest, it'll hurt your score.
Phaze5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:12   #5
LockHavenYellow
Flyin' Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaze5ive View Post
Don't forget credit history. If it was the card that you've had the longest, it'll hurt your score.
It was a card that was opened to purchase an Apple product in 2010. Interest free for a year type deal. Really never used it again.

NRA Life Member
GOA Member
Old Yesterday, 22:34   #6
lunarspeak

they cancel them because they aren't making any interest if the card is sitting in a drawer not being used..
lunarspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:18   #7
XDRoX

I have a CC I've probably used less than 50 times in the last 20 years. Every now and then if I can't find my main card or if it was canceled because of theft (which has happened like 5 times) I use the old card. I'm surprised they've never canceled the old card on me.

It would probably really hurt my credit score as I haven't had many cards.

I do have one of the Apple CC through Barclay that I always purchase my Apple products for zero interest. I'm a sucker for zero interest.
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:47   #8
sourdough44

It wouldn't bother me if they closed one. I do only have a few. If you want to keep what you gave try to use the card every 6-12 months.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:48   #9
Resqu2

Lowe's kept lowering our limit because of non use, didn't know it till we tried to buy an appliance. We closed it that day.
Old Today, 05:18   #10
JMS

The biggest factor in your credit score is paying on time. I open and close 0% cards all the time and my credit is still in the 790s. Every 4 months I pull up a free credit score and close all the open accounts that aren't being utilized, no big deal to the score.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:29   #11
AA_Khost

I use my USAA CC once in a blue moon for gas or something inexpensive just to keep the account open.
I'm not sure if it will hurt your credit by having it closed?

Edited: From what I just read online closing or having a old account closed will indeed hurt your credit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by AA_Khost; Today at 05:36..
AA_Khost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:02   #12
1-2man
Part Time

A few years back I had a few cc companies either close my accounts or drastically cut the available credit down. It was totally fine with me as I never used them anyway but I took it personally as it wasn't my decision. I then actually called my the other companies (some had over $30K available which I'd never use anyway) and had them drop the limit way down. I now use the cards every 6 months or so, even if just to pay for a lunch or whatnot to keep them showing some activity. My credit score went from the mid 700s to well over 800 last time I checked.
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00   #13
JFrame

I always post a scheduled monthly charge (Netflix) to one of my back-up credit cards, just to keep it active.

Once, I let that card sit idle for a long time. But at some point, I decided to use it during travel (for gasoline or something). The charge wouldn't go through. When I checked back with the CC company, it turns out they didn't close the account. They just put a security hold on it, because the new charge constituted "deviated behavior" from what had previously been going on for a year or so.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:12   #14
ClydeG19

What's your problem? Get to shopping! The economy needs you.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote