Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter3987 View Post
**I hereby nominate for Sticky!!**

any seconds?
I second that nomination!
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:00   #22
SCANNER

I just watched some demos of both the LCT and the Dillon 550. Decisions...
SCANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 15:57   #23
SCANNER

I just joined the blue team. Ordering a Dillon 550 from Brian Enos was as easy as it gets.
SCANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:19   #24
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Lee Classic Turret. (LCT)
www.leeprecision.com
This is the press I started with and it’s a great first press. It’s considered an “auto indexing turret” press. You have to pull the handle 4 times to get one completed round. Lee is the only maker who does this type of press. It’s a lot faster then a normal turret and cheaper on top of it all. You can expect to load about 200rds an hour once you get in the groove. You can get a nice LCT kit from http://www.kempfgunshop.com/. Be aware that others sell a kit but the kit includes the dreaded Lee Scale. Avoid them. Kempf’s kit includes:
• Lee Classic Turret Press
• Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set for the pistol caliber of your choice. (3 Die set in 380)
• Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
• Lee Safety Prime System (Large or Small)
• Lee Auto Disk Riser (Required for the Safety Prime System)
• Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes
I recommend you upgrade the kit to the Pro Auto Disc Powder Measure. Not only does it give you the better powder measure but you also get the Large and Small primer setup. It’s worth it for the powder measure alone. With this kit you do not need a primer turning tray. The Auto Disc powder measure does not have the ability to adjust powder to very small increments like most measures. You simply change “discs” with different size holes to get the charge you want. This gets you pretty close and it works fine. You can add an adjustable charge bar but it does not work well with small charges and some powders. I stopped using mine with TiteGroup and 9mm. Loading larger throws of powder in a .44mag may have been fine. I don’t know, never tried. People say it works better with larger volume charges. Lee even warns you about this on their instructions. The priming system is workable. Some people have had to add a washer under the primer mounting location to get it 100% dialed in. Most people don’t have any trouble doing this slight mod. The LCT is a great, low cost, relatively quick entry into reloading. Once you get it dialed in it’s amazing how much ammo it can make. Caliber changes are so easy it’s unbelievable. You can also easily disable the auto-indexing and convert it to a single stage press. It’s brilliant in its simplicity and function.
Recommended Setup:
Kempfs LCT kit with the Pro Powder measure, Lee 4 Die set, scale, dial calipers and Tumbler.
Here is a very useful thread giving very detailed instructions and pictures on setting up and using the LCT.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 17:13   #25
LarryD1130

Thanks again.
LarryD1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 23:24   #26
8-Ball
Drifting Cowboy

Very helpful thread. You just told me more than what I've read elsewhere researching for 2 hours. Thank you.

BoxerGlocker, That is a very helpful link as well, thanks.

23skidoo (Jeff), CJLandry (Chad), Silent_Runner (Gloria), & GioaJack

Taken too soon.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 15:39   #27
DEADLYACCURATE

I just realized I have never thanked you for this thread. Thanks
DEADLYACCURATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34   #28
woncrzymof0

great thread and info!!
woncrzymof0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 16:50   #29
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

wrong thread...

Last edited by El_Ron1; 11-15-2010 at 16:50..
El_Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 22:23   #30
noylj

Some people think that any play in a press will ruin the accuracy of the load. I have not found this to be true.
For the beginner--let's start out inexpensive, slow, and simple.
Get the Lee Reloader Single Stage Press Kit for $37.99. This is their little SS press and the Lee manual.
Get the Lee Auto-prime hand primer and the 11 set of special shell holders for it.
Buy a set of Lee 3 or 4 die set for your caliber. This includes a powder dipper, the shell holder, and reloading data for use with the dipper. The Lee manual covers every load with corresponding dipper data.
The dipper is pressed into the powder so gravity fills it up. You knock of the excess with a straightedge (a business card works well).
Given your barrel or cylinder as a case gage, you are ready to reload (provided you have powder, cases, primers, and bullets).
After you have learned how the dies work, how to get the proper COL, and have fired some loads successfully, you will be ready to determine what fancy press or accessories you want.
This press will, from my experience, make ammunition as accurately as any other press. Take your time and learn what is going on.
Read a couple of reloading manuals ("ABCs of Reloading," Lyman 49th edition manual, etc.).
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:46   #31
Dewberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Lee Classic Turret. (LCT)
www.leeprecision.com
This is the press I started with and it’s a great first press. It’s considered an “auto indexing turret” press. You have to pull the handle 4 times to get one completed round. Lee is the only maker who does this type of press. It’s a lot faster then a normal turret and cheaper on top of it all. You can expect to load about 200rds an hour once you get in the groove. You can get a nice LCT kit from http://www.kempfgunshop.com/. Be aware that others sell a kit but the kit includes the dreaded Lee Scale. Avoid them. Kempf’s kit includes:
• Lee Classic Turret Press
• Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set for the pistol caliber of your choice. (3 Die set in 380)
• Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
• Lee Safety Prime System (Large or Small)
• Lee Auto Disk Riser (Required for the Safety Prime System)
• Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes
I recommend you upgrade the kit to the Pro Auto Disc Powder Measure. Not only does it give you the better powder measure but you also get the Large and Small primer setup. It’s worth it for the powder measure alone. With this kit you do not need a primer turning tray. The Auto Disc powder measure does not have the ability to adjust powder to very small increments like most measures. You simply change “discs” with different size holes to get the charge you want. This gets you pretty close and it works fine. You can add an adjustable charge bar but it does not work well with small charges and some powders. I stopped using mine with TiteGroup and 9mm. Loading larger throws of powder in a .44mag may have been fine. I don’t know, never tried. People say it works better with larger volume charges. Lee even warns you about this on their instructions. The priming system is workable. Some people have had to add a washer under the primer mounting location to get it 100% dialed in. Most people don’t have any trouble doing this slight mod. The LCT is a great, low cost, relatively quick entry into reloading. Once you get it dialed in it’s amazing how much ammo it can make. Caliber changes are so easy it’s unbelievable. You can also easily disable the auto-indexing and convert it to a single stage press. It’s brilliant in its simplicity and function.
Recommended Setup:
Kempfs LCT kit with the Pro Powder measure, Lee 4 Die set, scale, dial calipers and Tumbler.
thank you for the very helpful write up, this is the press kit i am considering getting as my first press, whay do you recomend the Kempf Kit over the standard lee kit sold by everone else? what are the advantages? you mentioned something about the lee scale, what is so bad about it? in reading the description it seems like the kempf kit doesnt even come with a scale.

thank you again for the great write up
Dewberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:08   #32
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewberry View Post
thank you for the very helpful write up, this is the press kit i am considering getting as my first press, whay do you recomend the Kempf Kit over the standard lee kit sold by everone else? what are the advantages? you mentioned something about the lee scale, what is so bad about it? in reading the description it seems like the kempf kit doesnt even come with a scale.

thank you again for the great write up
I'm not C4W, but I'll give you what will likely be his response...

1. The "Standard Lee Kit" does not include the Lee Classic Turret, it includes the "Lee Turret Press" There is a huge difference in the quality of the two, mostly because of the difference in materials from which they are made. The "Lee Turret" is mostly made of Aluminum I do believe, while the Classic Turret, is made of cast iron. The way the "Classic Turret" handles spent primers, is also FAR superior to how the regular Turret press handles spent primers.

Lee Turret Press
http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-turre...uto-index.html
Lee Classic Turret
http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-class...ret-press.html

2. The Lee Turret Press kit (that Lee sells), comes w/ the Lee beam scale. This scale is possibly one of the most frustrating pieces of equipment you will ever use. Some folks use it and love it, most folks use it and throw it out the window..

3. The Powder measure w/ the "Lee Kit"... while not absolutely horrible, the cheap upgrade to the "Auto Disk Pro" w/ the Kempf kit, is well worth it. I'd also just go ahead and get the additional primer size, as very few of us only load one primer size, and it's only another $8 (FWIW, if you don't upgrade the powder measure on the Kempf kit, you get the same powder measure that comes with the Lee kit).

Edit: 4. I just realized the Lee kit, does not come with dies, where the Kempf kit does.

If you're really looking to get a Lee Turret press, save yourself a lot of headache and follow C4W's advice to the letter. Get the Kempf kit, then add the Dillon Beam Scale...

You'll be thankful for the sage advice he provided if you ever have the opportunity to try the "Lee Turret press and Lee Scale" vs what he has suggested.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 03-04-2012 at 03:35.. Reason: fixed links
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 14:29   #33
Dewberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'm not C4W, but I'll give you what will likely be his response...

1. The "Standard Lee Kit" does not include the Lee Classic Turret, it includes the "Lee Turret Press" There is a huge difference in the quality of the two, mostly because of the difference in materials from which they are made. The "Lee Turret" is mostly made of Aluminum I do believe, while the Classic Turret, is made of cast iron. The way the "Classic Turret" handles spent primers, is also FAR superior to how the regular Turret press handles spent primers.

Lee Turret Press
http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/...rretpress.html
Lee Classic Turret
http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/...sicTurretPress

2. The Lee Turret Press kit (that Lee sells), comes w/ the Lee beam scale. This scale is possibly one of the most frustrating pieces of equipment you will ever use. Some folks use it and love it, most folks use it and threw it out the window..

3. The Powder measure w/ the "Lee Kit"... while not absolutely horrible, the cheap upgrade to the "Auto Disk Pro" w/ the Kempf kit, is well worth it. I'd also just go ahead and get the additional primer size, as very few of us only load one primer size, and it's only another $8 (FWIW, if you don't upgrade the powder measure on the Kempf kit, you get the same powder measure that comes with the Lee kit).

Edit: 4. I just realized the Lee kit, does not come with dies, where the Kempf kit does.

If you're really looking to get a Lee Turret press, save yourself a lot of headache and follow C4W's advice to the letter. Get the Kempf kit, then add the Dillon Beam Scale...

You'll be thankful for the sage advice he provided if you ever have the opportunity to try the "Lee Turret press and Lee Scale" vs what he has suggested.
that was extremely helpful thank you
Dewberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 21:39   #34
Colorado4Wheel

Better then what I would have said. Thanks Indy.
Old 03-10-2011, 23:52   #35
ARSMITH
CenterFireBrass

Great post. I have really enjoyed reading the posts from people. I think we have a great community of people on here that are willing to go out of the way to promote reloading to the inexperienced. Thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ARSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 17:01   #36
kaptain

Very good post, thanks!
kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 17:44   #37
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
I wanted to thank Steve again for his help on my decision. My LCT is coming tomorrow from Kempfs.
Old 09-22-2011, 15:27   #38
kamonjj

I just want to chime in here and say this thread has been a huge help to me. I'm going to get the lee kit from kempf. Awesome deal after shopping around and shipping isn't much more. Thanks for this thread, as I'll also be getting my calipers from harbor freight and my scale from dillon. I want a dillon press but I really don't have the green at this point and this press looks like it will fit my needs extremely well anyway. I'm only going to be shooting a couple hundred rounds a month until I can recoup the cost of everything involved with getting started into reloading. ONCE I'm actually reloading at half the cost of the shelf bought ammo I'll see if I even need to upgrade to a different press.

Certified Glock armorer.
kamonjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 17:23   #39
Colorado4Wheel

Enjoy your new presses. Glad the thread helped you guys.
Old 04-09-2012, 23:17   #40
tua05737

This was very helpful n I got a Dillion 550 on the way. U mentioned u can use lee dies on the Dillion. Can I also use rcbs dies?
tua05737 is offline   Reply With Quote