Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-20-2014, 15:17   #1
pat701

Help setting up a new lap top

I am a 60 year old that just ordered a new lap top P.C. I am not a computer geek so i payed extra to get Windows 7 also the disks for Windows 7, 8 GB of ram, and a 7400rpm hard drive. I will never be able to update the lap to in the future as i don't know how. I am just a novice user.
My question is i don't know how to back up a P.C. I don't have an external hard drive to back up a P.C on. Are the 64GB flash sticks enough to do a back up on? How and can i transfer my important files and data from my old P.C. onto the new one using the flash sticks? I guess i should set up an administrator account and SAVE THE PASSWORD! Microsoft no longer gives you Microsoft works on a new P.C. is there a good free word processor program that i can download from CNET. I write maybe 6 letters a year.
Could somebody provide me with some links in plain English on how to set up this new P.C. to avoid problems in the future so i can do minor repairs or corrections in the future?
Have pity on this old non tech savvy man You guys have helped me in the past and i appreciate the help in the past.
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:16   #2
mc1911

new pc

look at open office, libre office and wps office for free office software.

There used to be cable to connect a new pc to an old pc to transfer files. Check with a local Best buy.
mc1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:41   #3
SlowBurn

Help setting up a new lap top

Spend $100 for an external hard drive and use it to back up everything. 2T probably plenty. Simple plug n play into any USB port. Just do a straight copy of your whole hard drive once in awhile. Easiest way to have piece of mind.

Last edited by SlowBurn; 08-21-2014 at 05:46..
SlowBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:23   #4
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Since you have the W7 discs you will only need to backup your data, besides most new computers have the ability to restore the system to it's original state.

What you use to backup your data will depend on the amount of data being backed up and NEVER use only have one type of media for backup because they can and will fail.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"

Last edited by Sgt. Schultz; 08-21-2014 at 07:23..
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 13:06   #5
JimmyN

Since you only write about 6 letters a year I'm going to assume you don't need anything fancy. Windows 7 comes with Wordpad and that should be all you need. I'd try using that first, rather than installing a true word processor and learning how to use it.

I don't really trust flashdrives for backup purposes, they are OK for transferring files or carrying files around but I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from having backups on flash drives, so get a USB hard drive for backups.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:05   #6
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1911 View Post
look at open office, libre office and wps office for free office software.
Good advice...I use WPS Office myself, because I wanted to go absolutely low-ball (price-wise) on my new tablet, and didn't even want to pay the $70 difference (or whatever) to get a basic MS-Office license.

WPS Office looks pretty much like MS-Office circa 2007 (before they went to the "ribbon" menu look) -- except WPS seems to be fairly updated software, and supports things like the "docx" format to maintain compatibility with current Office files that one is likely to get.

I can't recommend the following website enough for finding and downloading freeware -- the folks that run the site are very scrupulous about making sure all their software download sites are vetted and virus-free.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/#8

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36   #7
Chesafreak

Those are a lot of questions, so instead of answering them all, allow me to help you another way by "teaching you how to fish". Any question you have, simply go to google.com, and in the search bar type in your question, like "how to setup a new laptop with windows 7", and "how to backup my computer", or "is there a good free word processor program". We can feed you the answers now, but you would still be lost tomorrow when you have more questions. The main difference between someone who can find their way around a computer and those that are lost is that the successful ones can search google and patiently read through the results to find an answer. Along the way you will learn how to use your computer.

Here's a good place to get started that I found by searching google for "free computer tutorials for seniors": http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com/

I'm not trying to be mean or condescending , I'm simply trying to help you to help yourself. If you had only asked one question I would have given you a direct answer, but it's obvious that getting some training would help you more in the long run. Enjoy your new computer, pat701.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote