SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:39   #41
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
A month or so ago on a Thursday night at my local indoor shooting range, I was testing out some new defense ammo I recently purchased (Federal HST 165gr and Speer GD 165gr). I got to the range and it was PACKED. When I got inside there were 4 guys that had decided to bring their girlfriends to the range.

After shooting my first series of mags I holster my weapon and picked up my mags off the floor. I walked back to the bench behind me to grab another box of ammo. As i was loading up my mags one of the girls turned away from the stall and as she turned she covered me with the muzzle of the gun. She was roughly 10 feet away from me. I stopped loading my mags and closed my eyes. It took every bit of me not to flip out on her and her friends for improper firearm and range safety.

I figured it was her first time so I did not want to make a scene. I finished loading my mags and fired through my second series. I holstered my weapon, picked up my mags and went on to load them again. This time, a different girl did the same exact thing as the girl before her. I was so enraged that I completely lost my train of thought and screwed up on my next series.

What made matters worse was that over the sound of gunfire and even with my ear protection on, I could hear them fooling around and laughing.

This was my worst night at the range ever. I hate it when guys bring their inexperienced girlfriends/wives/etc to the range and all they end up doing is screwing around and trying to impress them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Even you were a newbee once, they should have better supervision but that is the fault of the guys that brought them. We all should encourage new shooters especially women. Remember women are half the voting block.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44   #42
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Even you were a newbee once, they should have better supervision but that is the fault of the guys that brought them. We all should encourage new shooters especially women. Remember women are half the voting block.
You're right, I was a newbee at one time. But I NEVER did anything to compromise the safety of others or myself.
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 20:57   #43
hawgfan

Sure am glad I can walk out in my back yard and shoot at my own range all I want and however I want, I like it in the summer when everyone is going by on the highway with their windows down and they hear gun shots and slam on the brakes, lol
hawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34   #44
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
A month or so ago on a Thursday night at my local indoor shooting range, I was testing out some new defense ammo I recently purchased (Federal HST 165gr and Speer GD 165gr). I got to the range and it was PACKED. When I got inside there were 4 guys that had decided to bring their girlfriends to the range.

After shooting my first series of mags I holster my weapon and picked up my mags off the floor. I walked back to the bench behind me to grab another box of ammo. As i was loading up my mags one of the girls turned away from the stall and as she turned she covered me with the muzzle of the gun. She was roughly 10 feet away from me. I stopped loading my mags and closed my eyes. It took every bit of me not to flip out on her and her friends for improper firearm and range safety.

I figured it was her first time so I did not want to make a scene. I finished loading my mags and fired through my second series. I holstered my weapon, picked up my mags and went on to load them again. This time, a different girl did the same exact thing as the girl before her. I was so enraged that I completely lost my train of thought and screwed up on my next series.

What made matters worse was that over the sound of gunfire and even with my ear protection on, I could hear them fooling around and laughing.

This was my worst night at the range ever. I hate it when guys bring their inexperienced girlfriends/wives/etc to the range and all they end up doing is screwing around and trying to impress them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
It sounds like you were at American Range in Austintown? It's been a while since I've been up that way.

If so, say something to Larry next time if there's a problem. He doesn't tolerate horseplay and he will say something to them in short order.

Old 03-04-2012, 19:50   #45
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
It sounds like you were at American Range in Austintown? It's been a while since I've been up that way.

If so, say something to Larry next time if there's a problem. He doesn't tolerate horseplay and he will say something to them in short order.

Haha. Larry is a great guy and lately I have been shooting in the left room. Don't have to put up with idiots in there
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33   #46
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Haha. Larry is a great guy and lately I have been shooting in the left room. Don't have to put up with idiots in there
I hear that! Usually when I go he has the left side shut down and dark. Larry is a heck of a guy! For some reason it sure does seem like his range is a magnet for the weirdo's and jerks though!

(Don't tell him I said that!)

Is his dog still alive? I think her name was Target?

Last edited by NEOH212; 03-05-2012 at 04:34..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06   #47
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Is his dog still alive? I think her name was Target?
Honestly, I do not know. Usually the only time him and I really talk is when I walk in and when I am leaving. We usually just bs about guns and what not. I didn't know he had a dog.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54   #48
g26andgtrs

There have been times when it seems like I'm surrounded by newbies renting pistols just for fun. Got good RSOs at the range I frequent, but they can't possibly catch every last mess up. They do pay pretty good attention to anyone who seems to be inexperienced, watch them. Sometimes they actually come out of the booth correct mistakes.

The first time I went to the range, I didn't know what I was doing, but I sure knew to keep the gun pointed downrange. RSO came out and corrected my grip.

There are usually quite a few regulars around when I'm there. Most of them are pretty good about helping out any newbies.

I keep my SA on high alert at the range (and in the parking lot). I also try to not let other people get me too upset. If others are being really unsafe, I find an RSO immediately.
g26andgtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 17:34   #49
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
There is a National forest area I go to and it was crowded people standing around waiting to shoot. Some guys pull up, stand around for a while, standing behind the line of fire. We are shooting, then we hear the guys, from behind the line up open up, just shooting downrange, into the burm. I wasn't very nice about the whole deal, maybe should have been a little nicer, but I wasn't.
Old 03-05-2012, 17:46   #50
SixkillerEnterprises

It really is unacceptable. You should have let the RSO's do their job. Even after you left, I'm sure you wouldn't want some other person to take the idiots' bullet. Next time report it.

Last edited by SixkillerEnterprises; 03-05-2012 at 17:47..
SixkillerEnterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 16:50   #51
Houdini

I would told range officer right away, what they did so the officer can correct them.
Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 13:46   #52
gilgoul

Lol, NOT

I went to "a" range in Tel Aviv about 2 years ago because a friend of mine, who is American, a University professor, admitted to me that she had never fired a firearm in her life.
Cutting things short, I lend her my glock 19, and rent a Bull 45 full frame (too big for my little hands).
Need to be said, In more than 3000 rounds with y g19 at the time, I never had any incident, but the 19 did this time, the range officer then tried to clear the weapon, and shot MY range table, less than a feet from my hand, and tried to pretend nothing happened.
I left the range, a year later, the same "range officer" was involved in an accidental discharge that killed a guy coming to figure out what weapon to buy.

I still feel bad that I didn't "RAT" on him at the time.

Last edited by gilgoul; 03-07-2012 at 13:47..
gilgoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 20:05   #53
Schrag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgoul View Post
Lol, NOT

I went to "a" range in Tel Aviv about 2 years ago because a friend of mine, who is American, a University professor, admitted to me that she had never fired a firearm in her life.
Cutting things short, I lend her my glock 19, and rent a Bull 45 full frame (too big for my little hands).
Need to be said, In more than 3000 rounds with y g19 at the time, I never had any incident, but the 19 did this time, the range officer then tried to clear the weapon, and shot MY range table, less than a feet from my hand, and tried to pretend nothing happened.
I left the range, a year later, the same "range officer" was involved in an accidental discharge that killed a guy coming to figure out what weapon to buy.

I still feel bad that I didn't "RAT" on him at the time.

My last trip to the range was frustrating, but nothing like that. I took a day off on Monday to take care of some errands, and in the afternoon I decided to head to the indoor range. It was perfect because I got there just before things picked up. I checked in, got my targets, and set all my stuff out on the range table. Then I realized I forgot the key to my gun lock - a cable-through-the-magwell style lock. It's usually on my keychain but I had moved it a while back when I took the other vehicle to the range.

I could have rented a gun and bought the ammo they carried, but that would have cost quite a bit more. I just looked through their guns for a while and then left. I wasn't mad or anything, just a little disappointed. Browsing at the gun store beats sitting at my desk at work, after all.
Schrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 17:56   #54
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
....... It took every bit of me not to flip out on her and her friends for improper firearm and range safety. ....... This was my worst night at the range ever. Anyone else feel the same way?
Yes, I feel exactly the same way about being covered by someone else's muzzle as you do. Most recently a rather pretty girl who was obviously on the firing line for her very first time: fired a shot, hit the target, and with her finger still on the trigger swung around to giggle, 'I hit it!' 'I hit it!' with her muzzle pointing straight at my chest.

I quickly stepped aside, ducked, and loudly yelled at her to point that muzzle back downrange. (Ain't it funny how you almost feel naked when something like this happens!) This young lady was with a large group of older gentlemen - The ones who had given her the gun - and they took exception to my use of profanity as I yelled at her.

OK, I shouldn't have used profanity; but I, also, yelled at them for bringing her to the range, handing her a gun, and not taking 5 minutes to explain range safety. These men had taken the time to give her safety glasses and ear muffs, but no safety lesson.

The upshot is that they remained mad at me; and I remained mad at them. Happily, though, there was no repeat safety violation. The normal rules of social etiquette were violated; but the point was made: The muzzle stays pointed downrange.

Thinking about this event afterwards I began to wonder just how many genuinely dangerous firearm-related accidents might have been averted IF someone had been more quick to forthwith violate the usual social niceties? I don't know; but, bullets travel faster than words; so, as far as I'm concerned, the sooner you speak up, the better!

Another incident for you: A couple of months ago I was all by myself at a public shooting range. Another fellow, a scruffily dressed older man, showed up and walked to the right side of the bench - Exactly where I didn't want him to be!

He's holding a large revolver in his hand and standing about 6 feet away from me. When I looked at him I noticed he had a peculiar sort of look on his face. Maybe he was drunk? Maybe he was angry? I really don't know; but something about him told me to keep an eye on what he was doing.

Good thing I did, too. After fritzing around with his revolver and the targets he, suddenly, turned part way to face me and placed his pistol down onto the bench with its muzzle pointing directly at me! That didn't bother me so much as the fact that his hand remained in close proximity to the pistol and seemed to hover just over the top of it.

Something about this man - or, maybe, his behavior and the odd look on his face - triggered me. I didn't wait. I quickly stepped back from the bench and yelled at him, 'Get that frigg 'in muzzle, the H, off me!' To my surprise he was very slow to react; he just looked at me; then, he looked at his revolver; and, finally, he said, 'Oh, oh!' and took his hand away from the gun. A few moments later he complied and turned the muzzle downrange.

After the, 'pregnant moment' had passed I felt a little strange. When I looked down at myself I was very surprised to see my backup G-19 in my hand! (I still have no conscious recollection of having drawn it.)

A few weeks ago I took the long drive over to our favorite indoor shooting range. It was a Saturday night; and, when we walked in, I immediately noticed the place was mobbed. The range safety officers were running around like one armed paperhangers putting out one, 'brush fire' after another. I looked at my wife; she looked at me, and said, 'Come on; I don't want you going in there.' 'I'll buy you dinner and we can come back another time.' So, that's what we did.

Public shooting ranges seem to have far too many safety violations (and occasionally some really strange dudes) associated with them. Among the various rules I've made for using public firing ranges: I don't go there to make new friends; I prefer to shoot by myself and plan my range trips accordingly; and, especially when I'm on an isolated gameland range, I'm very leery of anyone or anything that seems either peculiar or out-of-place.

Pennsylvania has had a few really bad incidents at public shooting ranges as well as one, fairly recent, murder. A shooter was whacked because he made the mistake of being there, alone, with an expensive and highly desirable gun. (True!)

(Remember the days when we, all, thought that everyone who owned a gun was a brother NRA Member; and we were always glad to see one another? Gone forever, huh!)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 03-09-2012 at 17:58..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improper, inexperienced, range, safety