Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:41   #81
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

It's been too dang cold to do too much shooting here lately, although I have shot some .45 Super stuff.

I went and bought me a Glock 35 Gen4....again. But I also sold my G20 Gen4. The 20 shot very well but honestly I didn't find myself shooting it all that much, and what I realized is that between the two, they both kind of do the same thing. Since I have much more .40 ammo and brass, I decided to drop the 10mm and stick with the .40, but I don't have anything against the 10mm, I still think it's a good cartridge. I just never shot the 10mm much and with my warm .40 loads I pretty much have 10mm ballistics anyways (and it takes less powder to do it) and besides, if I want more than 10mm ballistics out of a Glock, I'll just bring out the big ole .45 SUPER.

I haven't got the G35 yet, bought it off of GunBroker (free shipping and no tax!) so I'm still waiting for it. I'm going to see if KKM will make me a 4 port compensated G24 (6") barrel for it. I had asked them a year or two ago and they said that at the time they were not set up to do it, or something to that effect. Maybe it's different now, I actually seen a G24C the other day on GB with a KKM 4 port barrel on it so I know, at the very least, that they used to make them. That way I can get max barrel length and still have the option to comp it should the slide speed get too fast.

BTW, if anyone is interested in my KKM 6" Glock 20 .40 S&W conversion barrel, I'm selling it, I've sold all the rest of the 10mm stuff except that barrel.

I'll be sure to post a picture when I get it

Last edited by SDGlock23; 01-30-2014 at 07:43..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58   #82
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
It's been too dang cold to do too much shooting here lately, although I have shot some .45 Super stuff.

I went and bought me a Glock 35 Gen4....again. But I also sold my G20 Gen4. The 20 shot very well but honestly I didn't find myself shooting it all that much, and what I realized is that between the two, they both kind of do the same thing. Since I have much more .40 ammo and brass, I decided to drop the 10mm and stick with the .40, but I don't have anything against the 10mm, I still think it's a good cartridge. I just never shot the 10mm much and with my warm .40 loads I pretty much have 10mm ballistics anyways (and it takes less powder to do it) and besides, if I want more than 10mm ballistics out of a Glock, I'll just bring out the big ole .45 SUPER.

I haven't got the G35 yet, bought it off of GunBroker (free shipping and no tax!) so I'm still waiting for it. I'm going to see if KKM will make me a 4 port compensated G24 (6") barrel for it. I had asked them a year or two ago and they said that at the time they were not set up to do it, or something to that effect. Maybe it's different now, I actually seen a G24C the other day on GB with a KKM 4 port barrel on it so I know, at the very least, that they used to make them. That way I can get max barrel length and still have the option to comp it should the slide speed get too fast.

BTW, if anyone is interested in my KKM 6" Glock 20 .40 S&W conversion barrel, I'm selling it, I've sold all the rest of the 10mm stuff except that barrel.

I'll be sure to post a picture when I get it
How much do you want for the barrel.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12   #83
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I'm asking 130 shipped Happie.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39   #84
happie2shoot

Quote:
I'm asking 130 shipped Happie.
Let me check on the money situation and see if i need 2 of the same barrels, got one comming from LW but it would be
nice to have both to compare the two.

The good thing is you have made good data on that barrel.

Is there anything you need and would trade for.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00   #85
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Yeah no rush happie, if you want it fine, if not it's no big deal. I'm mainly wanting to sell it to help fund the KKM 4 port barrel I order, hopefully they'll make me a 24 barrel comped, otherwise I'll have to stick with the 35 comped.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:35   #86
happie2shoot

Quote:
Yeah no rush happie, if you want it fine, if not it's no big deal. I'm mainly wanting to sell it to help fund the KKM 4 port barrel I order, hopefully they'll make me a 24 barrel comped, otherwise I'll have to stick with the 35 comped.
I am still working on how to get that barrel from you.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:53   #87
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Hey there happie, just wanted to inform you that I did sell it, last night actually. I had it up for sale for a few weeks and someone finally did buy it.

I did learn that KKM can't (or won't) make me a 24 threaded barrel. I guess they can't exceed 6" for whatever reason, so now I'm torn as to whether to get a KKM G24 6" barrel or the comped G35 4 port KKM barrel, which with threading is around 5.70-5.75". Shorter than the 24 and more expensive, but it's comped and would slow the slide speed down of the G35...choices choices and I still haven't made my mind up.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 02-07-2014 at 06:55..
Old 02-07-2014, 15:41   #88
happie2shoot

Quote:
Hey there happie, just wanted to inform you that I did sell it, last night actually. I had it up for sale for a few weeks and someone finally did buy it.

I did learn that KKM can't (or won't) make me a 24 threaded barrel. I guess they can't exceed 6" for whatever reason, so now I'm torn as to whether to get a KKM G24 6" barrel or the comped G35 4 port KKM barrel, which with threading is around 5.70-5.75". Shorter than the 24 and more expensive, but it's comped and would slow the slide speed down of the G35...choices choices and I still haven't made my mind up.
Darn I blew that one
Old 02-20-2014, 08:32   #89
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Went with the 6" KKM G24 barrel. I debated getting a comped barrel, but KKM won't make a 24 barrel with comp threading. Plus, aside from working up the warm loads, I don't really plan on using any of the warm stuff on a regular basis, just for woods work. I received the 24 barrel in the mail yesterday.

The .40 S&W Club

Goal this next go around is mess around with some longer loaded .40's using Longshot. Although the chamber will accept 10mm length cartridges, if I want to load more than one round in the magazine I have to keep them at or below 1.155". Seems like 1.160" is slightly too long and after stuffing in about 2-3 rounds it chokes up. Even 1.155" was iffy at times so I may just stick to 1.150".

I'm going to firelapp the barrel soon and my main goal for now with this gun is to get a 200gr JHP and WFNGC to 1270+ fps (last loads were hovering around 1245-1250 fps), I think the 200gr is a great option and works very well at 1200-1250 fps. Although I've already hit 1400 fps avg with a 180gr in the last G24 barrel, I think that's a touch too fast in my opinion, so I'm looking for 1350-1375 fps average out of the longer OAL rounds.

I don't have much planned for the lighter bullets, already have a 135gr JHP doing 1850 fps, that's fast enough. I'd like to get the 155's to 1600 and the 165's to 1550, which is only slightly faster than what I've got them to already (so far 155gr at 1550 fps, 165gr @ 1485 fps).

But it might be a little while, the weather here still isn't the best.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 02-20-2014 at 08:39..
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25   #90
happie2shoot

Quote:
Went with the 6" KKM G24 barrel. I debated getting a comped barrel, but KKM won't make a 24 barrel with comp threading. Plus, aside from working up the warm loads, I don't really plan on using any of the warm stuff on a regular basis, just for woods work. I received the 24 barrel in the mail yesterday.

The .40 S&W Club

Goal this next go around is mess around with some longer loaded .40's using Longshot. Although the chamber will accept 10mm length cartridges, if I want to load more than one round in the magazine I have to keep them at or below 1.155". Seems like 1.160" is slightly too long and after stuffing in about 2-3 rounds it chokes up. Even 1.155" was iffy at times so I may just stick to 1.150".

I'm going to firelapp the barrel soon and my main goal for now with this gun is to get a 200gr JHP and WFNGC to 1270+ fps (last loads were hovering around 1245-1250 fps), I think the 200gr is a great option and works very well at 1200-1250 fps. Although I've already hit 1400 fps avg with a 180gr in the last G24 barrel, I think that's a touch too fast in my opinion, so I'm looking for 1350-1375 fps average out of the longer OAL rounds.

I don't have much planned for the lighter bullets, already have a 135gr JHP doing 1850 fps, that's fast enough. I'd like to get the 155's to 1600 and the 165's to 1550, which is only slightly faster than what I've got them to already (so far 155gr at 1550 fps, 165gr @ 1485 fps).

But it might be a little while, the weather here still isn't the best.
I am looking forward to your results, can you compile all of your data like you did the 45 super data

I have some 200gr cast I could send if you want them and
maybe some 180gr too.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:27   #91
Cycletroll

SD,
your max COL of 1.155" is exactly the same measurement I cam up with for reliable magazine function in Glock .40 mags (Mostly XTP bullets but Gold Dot too).

I've done some ballistic testing with various 180's and I really believe that you get best results keeping them to 1200-1250 max. They just start to come apart much faster than that.

It's funny you mention the G35…again LOL
I've owned two of them now too; considering adding one back again. Waffling on G22 or G35. I shoot a G34 in IDPA and was going to shoot G35 for USPSA Limited but just keep having a problem warming up to the G35.
I think a G23 or G22 make a handier woods gun and the extra barrel length isn't really needed. In practice I've not found the extra sight radius to be that much help. I think this is because the G34/G35 platform is so light for it's relative size that holding the gun steady is not as easy. My CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Custom shoots much better for me at distance but it is 42oz empty!
I agree that the .40 is a more effective platform for .401 bullets (given a well supported chamber and experienced hand loads). I've never owned a 10mm an likely never will. The hotrodded G21 is just so much more effective as a tactical hand canon

Just my 3.5 cents!
Cycletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:19   #92
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
I am looking forward to your results, can you compile all of your data like you did the 45 super data

I have some 200gr cast I could send if you want them and
maybe some 180gr too.
Thanks happie, yes I will end up post the .40 data like I did the .45 Super data, that way it's in one post instead of two dozen. I might take you up on the bullet offer when the time comes
Old 02-22-2014, 10:08   #93
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletroll View Post
SD,
your max COL of 1.155" is exactly the same measurement I cam up with for reliable magazine function in Glock .40 mags (Mostly XTP bullets but Gold Dot too).

I've done some ballistic testing with various 180's and I really believe that you get best results keeping them to 1200-1250 max. They just start to come apart much faster than that.

It's funny you mention the G35…again LOL
I've owned two of them now too; considering adding one back again. Waffling on G22 or G35. I shoot a G34 in IDPA and was going to shoot G35 for USPSA Limited but just keep having a problem warming up to the G35.
I think a G23 or G22 make a handier woods gun and the extra barrel length isn't really needed. In practice I've not found the extra sight radius to be that much help. I think this is because the G34/G35 platform is so light for it's relative size that holding the gun steady is not as easy. My CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Custom shoots much better for me at distance but it is 42oz empty!
I agree that the .40 is a more effective platform for .401 bullets (given a well supported chamber and experienced hand loads). I've never owned a 10mm an likely never will. The hotrodded G21 is just so much more effective as a tactical hand canon

Just my 3.5 cents!

CT, I agree with you completely about the 180gr not needing to go any faster than 1200-1250 fps at impact. Since I've already went well past that mark in the 6" .40, that's mostly why I'm not super focused on the 180's anymore. More than likely I'll start honing in and trying to find the most accurate load since I don't think driving a 180gr any faster will show any appreciable gains in performance and like you mentioned, could actually give less than optimal results.

It's interesting because before I got the 35, I thought about whether it was the best decision or not, since I have the 23 that is capable of some good numbers in its own right, and like you said, it is handier than the G35 for sure as it just carries easier. I contemplated getting a Gen4 G22, I had one before, but ultimately chose the 35 simply because I think it's a cool Glock model and since it shares the same frame as the G22, I figured I might as well get it instead, plus I have a Gen4 17 and figured the 35 would mix things up a little better. I really wanted a Gen4 24, so hopefully Glock will make a run of those one of these days.

I also agree that the extra sight radius isn't that helpful, and I seem to shoot the smaller Glocks better than the larger ones, maybe it's because there's less gun to keep still while aiming, I don't know but it does seem easier to keep the smaller Glocks from moving around.

I certainly don't have anything against the 10mm and don't want anybody to think otherwise (I've loaded a lot for the 10mm and spend a good amount of $$ on it, but recently abandoned it), but I don't really see the point in it. I can see the point perhaps if someone doesn't handload, but for me the added cost and availability of components isn't worth the rather small jump in velocity, and honestly its extra velocity that isn't really needed. Plus it burns more powder than the .40, which is another way of saying the .40 is more efficient than the 10mm is, and as we know the .40 can shoot those .401" JHP bullets plenty fast to take full advantage of them, and then some.

Another reason I got out of the 10mm is not just because the .40 S&W can nearly replicate it's numbers, but that my G21 is a superior gun to the G20 in terms of power potential. My choice for big power is the .45 Super loaded warm, pretty much loaded to 460 Rowland spec, and others go straight for the 460R, but either way there's no doubt that either one has got the power advantage over the 10mm, so having the G20, while a good shooter, wasn't really giving me anything I don't already have.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:05   #94
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Being nice outside I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to run a few warmer loads through the G35. I was already planning on getting the velocities of some factory 9mm out of the Gen4 17, so I figured what the heck and loaded a few .40's that I had ideas on.

Temp around 55 degress, brass is 1x Federal using CCI SP primers. Gun is G35 Gen4 using stock RSA and a 6" KKM G24 barrel, velocities are averages.

200gr TCFP (Missouri Steeler), 7.5gr 800x @ 1.135": 1,188 fps (15 fps ES) The point of this load is just a moderately stout plinker, if you could call it that.

200gr WFNGC, 8.3gr 800x @ 1.120": 1,278 fps (15 fps ES) This is good, real good.

200gr WFNGC, 8.5gr 800x @ 1.120": 1,266 fps (28 fps ES) Sometimes more gets you less!

200gr XTP, 8.5gr 800x @ 1.140": 1272 fps. Again, very good speeds.

The light wasn't really as good as I like it to be, the sun is still casting a bit of a shadow on things this time of year so I'll likely retest a few of these and some other ideas when the light gets better and the temps a little warmer.
Old 03-15-2014, 19:18   #95
Cycletroll

SD,
impressive numbers for sure!

Is your G35 a Gen3 or 4? RSA? curious if the Gen4 RSA handles those level of loads.
My hot G35 loads were with a Gen3 22# spring and that didn't seem like enough spring on the hotter loads. Was getting a bit of frame battering where the nose of the slide contacts in front of the locking block. Not bad but certainly not something I'd want to expose to many hundreds of rounds at that level.
Cycletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 14:02   #96
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

CT, it's a Gen4 and I use the stock Gen4 RSA. It does very well, of course it throws the brass further than if I'm shooting say a more "factory" level load, but it's doing good so far. With that said, I do see a slight need to slow the slide speed down a little bit, on the real warm loads there's a little bit of brass deformation around the case mouth, nothing extreme but there is some. I'm thinking about seeing if could send my 6" 24 barrel back to KKM and have them thread the end of it so I can add a comp to it. Like you said CT, although I haven't seen much signs of excessive frame battering, anything to slow things down is a good idea, and I have no intention of running many of these loads down the barrel anyways, they're a little much for just plinking around.
Old 03-16-2014, 14:08   #97
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Nothing much, but I did run a few more today. Gen4 G35 w/KKM 6" barrel

(1x Winchester brass, FED SP primer, temp a cool 40 degrees with overcast skies). I should note that I did fire lapp my G24 KKM barrel, seems to free up some FPS and help accuracy out just a bit.

180gr RNFP (.38-40 style), 7.2gr Power Pistol @ 1.130": 1,225 fps avg (17 fps ES)

180gr RNFP, 6.5gr Unique @ 1.130": 1,241 fps (2 fps ES)

180gr RNFP, 9.0gr Blue Dot @ 1.130": 1,309 fps (9 fps ES)

I have quite a few of these .38-40 RNFP hardcasts from bullets I ordered years ago. They shoot fairly good but they don't like to be driven much past 1,200 fps because they tend to lead the barrel much past that. The bullets have a decent sized meplat on them, probably the biggest of most any 180gr hardcast which is probably why I bought them.

The goal was just to see what the above loads would do, and I was hoping they would stay around or just above 1,200 fps and for the most part they did, except for Blue Dot, those leaded the barrel pretty good. Recoil is easy on the 1200-1250 fps loads and they hit plenty hard and would make a good woods load.

BTW, the 6.5gr Unique load that averaged just over 1,240 fps is very efficient. That comes out to 94.7 ft-lbs per 1.0gr of powder!

Last edited by SDGlock23; 03-16-2014 at 14:10..
Old 04-01-2014, 13:14   #98
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Nice weather out today, finally seems like spring time!

Not scientific in the least, but since water is generally hard on bullets, it can show what a bullet is made of. The charge in all three was 8.4gr of Longshot, which had previously averaged around 1,270 fps from my stock Gen4 Glock 35, which the loads below are fired from.

From left to right the 180gr Gold Dot, retained weight of 160.1gr.

In the middle is a Federal HST (pulled of course), retained weight of 161.5gr. (widest part of expansion just shy of 1.100")

On the right is the 180gr XTP which retained exactly 160gr.

As you see, all lost roughly 20gr of bullet weight with an estimated impact velocity of between 1260-1280 fps.

The Gold Dot and XTP penetrated to the 4th jug while the HST core stopped in the 2nd jug, with the jacket sticking in the back of the 2nd jug. Here's a picture:

The .40 S&W Club

I'm not saying they'll perform exactly the same on game, but as it stands I wouldn't want to push these any faster really. I previously said that I don't much see the need in exceeding 1200 fps with the .400" 180gr JHP, and these (minus the HST) are about the toughest out there.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 04-02-2014 at 08:58..
Old 07-15-2014, 09:45   #99
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Here's 4.4gr TiteGroup, 180gr Precision Delta FJM, 1.125" w/Fed SP primers. Stock G35 at about 25ft, not too bad.

The .40 S&W Club
Old 07-18-2014, 11:15   #100
happie2shoot

Quote:
Being nice outside I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to run a few warmer loads through the G35. I was already planning on getting the velocities of some factory 9mm out of the Gen4 17, so I figured what the heck and loaded a few .40's that I had ideas on.

Temp around 55 degress, brass is 1x Federal using CCI SP primers. Gun is G35 Gen4 using stock RSA and a 6" KKM G24 barrel, velocities are averages.

200gr TCFP (Missouri Steeler), 7.5gr 800x @ 1.135": 1,188 fps (15 fps ES) The point of this load is just a moderately stout plinker, if you could call it that.

200gr WFNGC, 8.3gr 800x @ 1.120": 1,278 fps (15 fps ES) This is good, real good.

200gr WFNGC, 8.5gr 800x @ 1.120": 1,266 fps (28 fps ES) Sometimes more gets you less!

200gr XTP, 8.5gr 800x @ 1.140": 1272 fps. Again, very good speeds.

The light wasn't really as good as I like it to be, the sun is still casting a bit of a shadow on things this time of year so I'll likely retest a few of these and some other ideas when the light gets better and the temps a little warmer.
I am getting 1270 to 1300fps depending on primer and temperature but my OAL is 1.225'', shot from a 6'' conversion LW 10/40 barrel, 8.5gr 800x 200gr wfn no G/C.

Same load only goes 1163 from a stock g20sf, that extra barrel
length helps.

You must be compressing that powder.

Are you going to compile all that good 40/10 data like you did
the 45 super data.

Last edited by happie2shoot; 07-18-2014 at 11:19.. Reason: more info