Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:18   #26
gommer

Revolution is more on par with LOST.

In that sence, I actually like the show. If you go into it looking for a realistic SHTF drama -- you'd certainly be disappointed.

It's a low budget series that isn't cast very well, but it's better than all the reality garbage that's all the rave these days.

They're pandering to their audience -- and the reality is that *most* people who watch TV don't want real anything.

If you want a *REAL* SHTF show, watch the History Channel for one of their lost civilization series... because SHTF, that's what the reality would be. It wouldn't be some interesting story of survival -- it would be the annihilation of life, society, and all the infrastructure that held it up.

Sure, we can imagine up some fantasy where something more mild would come along -- but history would tell us it is far more likely that all life, all society, and nearly all infrastructure would be lost in a SHTF scenario.

Why do I say that? Because it's happened so many times before.

Is there a story to tell about survival in that situation? Sure, but how would you make a series about a story that would in all liklihood be very short.

If you've got netflix -- might look at Survivors from the BBC. It's cheezy, but it's an enjoyable bit for the two episodes I've seen thus far.

It has a more realistic tone to it -- from what I've seen.

**SPOILER ALERT***
(Not sure this would really qualify as a spoiler)
In the series -- a flu pandemic hits and kills 99% of the population in a week or two. The story moves from there to a group of survivors living in that scenario.

Which, really, is like a BEST CASE scenario to be a survivor -- IMHO. Almost everyone is dead and absurd amounts of resources are left about for the taking...
**END SPOILER ALERT***

But, again -- it's entertainment not reality. Take it for what you will.

I do agree, though, it would be interesting to see a series on what a more realistic survival scenario would be where *most* people live -- but infrastructure is lost and governments collapse.

That, I think, is what most people on these forums are interested in preparing for.

I think that's, in part, a good deal of what has made The Walking Dead so popular.

Last edited by gommer; 09-18-2013 at 12:26.. Reason: Adding spoiler alert...
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:34   #27
pugman

Revolution...I gave it 20 minutes of my life.

Gave up once I saw 1) fat people 2) all the pretty people 3) women wearing make up 4) people wearing fashionable clothes

Its a EOTW show designed for the Twilight crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker19 View Post
Hollywood is involved.
BTW the season premiere is the 25th. I've been watching it, not the best TV ever but it's something different than the 4000 Law & Orders and CSI shows out there.
Stop watching television...problem solved.

Seriously, you made the point I tell all my friends who watch television. Take away all the reality tv, the dramas set in hosptial/police station/law firm and bad game shows and what are you left with?

A lot of time to do other things.

The sad thing: Revolution can now advertise itself as an Emmy nominated show.

Of course its for Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Miniseries Or Movie.

Last edited by pugman; 09-19-2013 at 05:49..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:00   #28
dukeblue91

I watched the first season and could do no more.