GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:22   #81
patrickkpm

I'm using frog lube too. It's not a good cleaner on a gun that you didn't treated with frog lube first.

When I get a gun that was not treated with frog lube before, I do first a full cleaning with a good regular gun cleaning solvent. Then I remove all trace of lube with rubbing alcohol. Then I do a frog lube application with heat.

After that, all the next cleanings are a breeze and I just use frog lube.

I've seen that frog lube is now selling a solvent that they recommend for this initial cleaning before applying the CLP.

Last edited by patrickkpm; 04-14-2013 at 12:22..
patrickkpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 19:50   #82
Slalom.45

Ballistol. Tried it b/c of Hickock 45 and have been using it ever since. Of course he is one of the reasons I am switching to Glocks as well which means my cleaning is way down vs. my 1911's.
Slalom.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:29   #83
LIGHTNING-FAST

I use gun butter

I think Gun Butter is a good oil
LIGHTNING-FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:41   #84
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
For my Glock 19's any good firearms lube I can get. I can not see it matters much with Glocks. Some firearms require grease and oil so any good firearms lubes.
I do not think there is a whole lot of differences between most.
I've tried them all. High end, low end, and in-between. I've yet to find one that really works that much better than the rest. I don't go in much for combination cleaners/lubricants. I like them separate. I used Slipstream for a while. I liked it fine; but the cost wasn't worth any perceived advantages, to me. Same for the other wonder lubricants. Lately I have been using Valvoline Durablend grease for both rifles and pistols. For GLOCKs I use it on the recommended lube points. For rifles I put a small dab on any place that's shiny as well as the recommended points. It's just too simple to not have to worry about different lubricants. That, and a seven dollar one pound tub of grease will last me for the rest of my life, likely.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 18:35   #85
LIGHTNING-FAST

I guess most important don't over oil

According to most all Glock experts don't over oil I guess this is most important to much oil on a Glock kills it function??
Old 08-25-2013, 19:46   #86
G21FAN
Useless loser

Send a message via ICQ to G21FAN
Hi!

I like to use Slip-2000 725 cleaner-degreaser on heavy carbon fouling and black powder residue. Water based so it cuts the salts well.

For cleaning I like using Rem-Oil out of a spray can on a patch. This picks up the fouling off the metal and leaves a Teflon residue.

Rust protection and light lube I use the Hoppes gun oil or the Outer's Gun Oil. Seems good for that and costs are low.

Grease is red grease in a syringe tube. Shooter's Choice.

No particular reason for the oil or grease, just what I grabbed with the price was right.

In the South, we didn't turn our swords into plowshares. We turned our church bells into guns.
(The Elderly Kid)
G21FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 20:41   #87
LIGHTNING-FAST

Teflon is good protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21FAN View Post
Hi!

I like to use Slip-2000 725 cleaner-degreaser on heavy carbon fouling and black powder residue. Water based so it cuts the salts well.

For cleaning I like using Rem-Oil out of a spray can on a patch. This picks up the fouling off the metal and leaves a Teflon residue.

Rust protection and light lube I use the Hoppes gun oil or the Outer's Gun Oil. Seems good for that and costs are low.

Grease is red grease in a syringe tube. Shooter's Choice.

No particular reason for the oil or grease, just what I grabbed with the price was right.

Teflon has been around a long time I to like its coating affect
Old 08-25-2013, 20:52   #88
Bren
NRA Life Member

I am currently using Jig-A-Loo spray graphite - why? because I'm in a desert of dust and graphite lubricates really well without making the dust stick to it. I fired a lot of rounds through both rifle and piistol on my last tour, using the same, and never had a malfunction.
Old 08-25-2013, 20:55   #89
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING-FAST View Post
According to most all Glock experts don't over oil I guess this is most important to much oil on a Glock kills it function??
Nothing to do with Glock, that advice goes for all guns. However, older designs, like 1911's, need more lubricant. Glocks function well without it, so the only thing oil does is make dirt stick and even a Glock will fail if you get it dirty enough.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:08   #90
Tiro Fijo

Almost all guns will fire wet (lubed) & dirty, however few do dry & dirty.

Bren, I had always heard graphite was bad ju ju for aluminum due to galvanic corrosion.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:44   #91
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Almost all guns will fire wet (lubed) & dirty, however few do dry & dirty.

Bren, I had always heard graphite was bad ju ju for aluminum due to galvanic corrosion.
So I have read, but in real life I've never had a problem with it at all. Maybe it helps to clean it occasionally. It may heolp that all the aprts that get directly lubricated are steel so, at most, a little gets on the aluminum by contact.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37   #92
LIGHTNING-FAST

I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Nothing to do with Glock, that advice goes for all guns. However, older designs, like 1911's, need more lubricant. Glocks function well without it, so the only thing oil does is make dirt stick and even a Glock will fail if you get it dirty enough.

You Are correct,