Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-31-2014, 17:22   #1021
viper144

When I owned a service station in the 90's and saw all the weirdo's come in from the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
KK #144
"Not all you Wonder are Lost"
"You're never Lost if you don't care where you are"
viper144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 17:17   #1022
akdiesel

9 years in the Marines, two combat deployments and most of all the birth of my son.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:00   #1023
quikduk

Defining Moment(s) that led to your decision to CCW

I was shopping for a gift for a child when a b-guy (he was) comes around the corner of the aisle and states "Hey...don't I know you? I do. You work at ********". Then his cousin baby-Huey comes around the corner and says the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

Last edited by quikduk; 08-17-2014 at 10:02..
quikduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:57   #1024
n2877

Couple of reasons for me. One is I've grown up around guns and love thim. The second is for personal protection for me and my wife both home and away from home. Better to be ready for the unthinkable than not ready
n2877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:51   #1025
Decutor

I remember being a kid, walking out of a board of trustees meeting with pops and having a man approach us, get close enough to grab dad, only to hear the snap on pops walther holster pop and a stern warning to get lost.

He said something like "I... I just wanted bus money man."

Late at night in a dark parking lot and he gets close enough to put his hands on someone to ask for bus money. Yeah right.
Decutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 21:41   #1026
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooBoo View Post
You know, ive been thinking about CCW. I just wanted it for dogs while I run out here, unfortunately I got my CCW, and a holster for the gun I want, but the gun I want is backordered so it's not doing me any good.

Ive started randomly CC, I guess I don't see so much of the hype behind it? I live in a pretty safe place which may be why I don't see much of the reason to CC. Do many of you guys CC because you live in bad neighborhoods? Or are you trying to be prepared for the just in case?
Do you wear a seatbelt or have a fire extinguisher? Some things are "just in case." Carrying a gun is one of those things.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 17:24   #1027
nopowder

I was shot by an over zealous rookie cop in '89, robber at gunpoint in '92 and '97. I lived in a neighborhood where, two doors down, the police actually dated the bullet holes in the house to identify the new ones. They just used a permanent marker. I thought, because of some indiscretions in the '70s when I was a young man, I would not be able to acquire a CCW.

Moving from that neighborhood to an apartment in a large metro area I really began to pay attention. Over the last six years, as things got worse, I looked into carry laws in Colorado, applied for a permit and now, legally, carry my G23 whenever I leave the apt. Even to do the laundry. Certain neighbors know to call me if they have a problem, only after calling 911.

I know and follow all the laws of the state of Colorado and keep up with local municipal ordinances. I carry wherever legal and ignore and attempts to skirt my right to keep and bear arms.

I have made a conscious decision to carry, train, and be ready to protect myself, my family, and any close to me from what I can only describe as the fall from grace of this country.

God Bless America

No Powder

Last edited by nopowder; 09-13-2014 at 17:28..
nopowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:27   #1028
gunsmoke92

I've been around firearms all my life, but my wife hadn't and wasn't comfortable with them, so I refrained. When we moved to Idaho in 97, we felt pretty safe. Quiet rural neighborhood.

Skip forward about six months. Our upstairs neighbor come beating on our door asking for help. Her significant other was drunked up and beating her, then started yelling around our windows threatening to kill anybody who helped her. At that point, my wife rethought the having a gun thing and we purchased her first firearm. Did some training, and since she worked a job that had her closing late at night, decided to get her CCW. Of course my doing the same was a given.

When 9/11 occurred, the nature of feeling secure changed for everyone. I went from carrying occasionally to having a firearm as a constant companion. Though I pray every day I'll never have to use it, I determined way back then that I'd not live in fear of another.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92, The Big Dawg club #1992
gunsmoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:37   #1029
NotAMonte86

This is a great thread, took me forever to read through it. Many good stories.

My defining moment was Katrina. I sat here thinking, "Wow, how can this happen right here in the USA? The terrorist attack (9/11) was one thing, but this is US born and raised, people acting like complete animals." I felt that if something like that happened here in FL, there's no way I'd want to be unable to defend myself and my fam.

We weren't directly affected, we just got flooded cars sent down here and they started popping up on the 'buy here pay here' lots.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:59   #1030
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAMonte86 View Post
This is a great thread, took me forever to read through it. Many good stories.

My defining moment was Katrina. I sat here thinking, "Wow, how can this happen right here in the USA? The terrorist attack (9/11) was one thing, but this is US born and raised, people acting like complete animals." I felt that if something like that happened here in FL, there's no way I'd want to be unable to defend myself and my fam.

We weren't directly affected, we just got flooded cars sent down here and they started popping up on the 'buy here pay here' lots.
Katrina was the reason I purchased a long gun. I had pistols and a shotgun, but wanted another long gun after seeing how long many residents went without basic government services (police, fire etc).

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 10-10-2014, 15:42   #1031
TheLionsFan

I live in Saginaw, MI. Reason enough.

Go Lions!
TheLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 15:50   #1032
MooMooBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Do you wear a seatbelt or have a fire extinguisher? Some things are "just in case." Carrying a gun is one of those things.
Maybe, but I think the chances of requiring either of those two is far greater than ever needing a gun...out in public.
MooMooBoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 23:58   #1033
Gray_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooBoo View Post
Maybe, but I think the chances of requiring either of those two is far greater than ever needing a gun...out in public.
While I will agree this is true, (thank God), if you ever do need your pistol (or far worse), your long gun or shotgun in public, the need will be far more dire.

I seem to recall some years back a certain Mr. Marshal, (yes the famous one), was stopped somewhere along the road in his motorhome. His Mrs. who was outside at the time was being harassed by some bikers till Mr. Marshal happened to make an appearance with his M4 at high ready. Above mentioned biker boys suddenly remembered pressing business elsewere and made a hasty retreat.

This situation while rare in the extreme, is not something I would like to settle with a fire extinguisher or my tire jack kit!

I awoke one night back in '73 to the sound of footsteps. It turned out to be a neighbor walking his dog beside my bedroom window, but for about sixty seconds I was dead sure someone was walking around in the front of my mobile home....No weapon and a scantily clad wife asleep beside me. A looooooong sixty seconds I can assure you!

"We don't hold grudges. We remember the facts."

Gray_Rider

Last edited by Gray_Rider; 10-11-2014 at 00:40..
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:58   #1034
MooMooBoo

Eh. It's all.about acceptable risk. Do you wear a helmet wherever you go in case something falls on your head? Chances of something falling in your head or falling on your head are probably just as extreme and more likely to happen than ever having to use your gun.
MooMooBoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:03   #1035
MacDonald

There was only one defining moment. Three years ago I was walking my dogs in a public park. A lage dog was off leash and charged me as I was holding my dogs for their protection from the larger canine. When the dog approched, I kicked it in the lower jaw. The owner saw this and objected. We argued about leash laws until he pulled a handgun on me.

I did not like the fact that I was not shot being due solely to his mercy or lack of resolution.

Walk softly and carry a big stick
G19 Gen4, G26 Gen3, G30 S, Walther PPK/S, Colt .380 Mustang Pocketlite
MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:08   #1036
Terlingueno

There wasn't a defining moment per se. When I turned 21, I bought a Colt Combat Commander, started carrying it that day. Been carrying a pistol for 33 years, only now it's a G19
Old 10-11-2014, 12:27   #1037
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDonald View Post
There was only one defining moment. Three years ago I was walking my dogs in a public park. A lage dog was off leash and charged me as I was holding my dogs for their protection from the larger canine. When the dog approched, I kicked it in the lower jaw. The owner saw this and objected. We argued about leash laws until he pulled a handgun on me.

I did not like the fact that I was not shot being due solely to his mercy or lack of resolution.
Did you call 911 to report the incident after you were out of immediate danger?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:36   #1038
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke92 View Post

When 9/11 occurred, the nature of feeling secure changed for everyone. I went from carrying occasionally to having a firearm as a constant companion. Though I pray every day I'll never have to use it, I determined way back then that I'd not live in fear of another.
On another thread I wrote recently of the many disturbing signs and events happening here in the US and around the world that point to the increasing chance that people will be encountering potentially deadly scenarios.

One of those signs is a government that not only ignores the threats but seemingly encourages criminal/terrorist elements by its political ideology of retreat and neglect. When governments ignore the citizens' safety and welfare --- deliberately or not --- it's up to the individual to exercise his/her individual rights in whatever societies recognize those individual rights.

Anyone putting off buying a firearm and acquiring proper self-defense ammunition is in my opinion gambling with his/her future --- whether or not the person plans on CCW or not. If things improve worldwide in the future one can always sell the firearm and ammo if one no longer feels the need to be armed.