SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2013, 19:10   #21
JDSTG58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ish View Post
Shooting a Mosin or any other vintage military rifle off a bench to try and create small groups on paper at 100 yds or 50 yds is a curious sport. Like buying a surplus school bus to practice parallel parking techniques.
True, but get a Swiss K31. The Swiss are masters of disguising target rifles as cheap mill surp. Many will shoot MOA. All Swiss GP11 surplus ammo is match grade.

I just bought a K31 this week for $225. Stock is only good condition, but it is going to be a great shooter.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 19:27   #22
raven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSTG58 View Post
True, but get a Swiss K31. The Swiss are masters of disguising target rifles as cheap mill surp. Many will shoot MOA. All Swiss GP11 surplus ammo is match grade.

I just bought a K31 this week for $225. Stock is only good condition, but it is going to be a great shooter.
I own a K31 and I do have to warn about one Caveat the rifle shoots 7.5 Swiss milsurps ammo when you do find it is cheap but runs out quick so there is a buy cheap and stack deep mentality when you do find ammo. Commercial ammo made by wolf is about .75 cents a round and is somewhat more available but depends on your area

Compaired to mosin ammo which is available everywhere and near me is about $80 for a tin of 440

The K31 is a better shooter than the mosin but you do pay a little extra for cost of rifle and ammo I paid $250 ( to be fair I got a sling and bayonet) for a K31 and $80 for my mosin
Old 06-12-2013, 20:32   #23
JDSTG58

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
I own a K31 and I do have to warn about one Caveat the rifle shoots 7.5 Swiss milsurps ammo when you do find it is cheap but runs out quick so there is a buy cheap and stack deep mentality when you do find ammo. Commercial ammo made by wolf is about .75 cents a round and is somewhat more available but depends on your area

Compaired to mosin ammo which is available everywhere and near me is about $80 for a tin of 440

The K31 is a better shooter than the mosin but you do pay a little extra for cost of rifle and ammo I paid $250 ( to be fair I got a sling and bayonet) for a K31 and $80 for my mosin
The great thing about 7.5 Swiss is that it's bullet is .308, so once you have the brass, finding bullets for reloading isn't too bad.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 20:59   #24
garya1961

I drove about 60 miles to a shop that had a large rack of 91/30's for $89. I carried a 762X54 round with me and checked the muzzles of each rifle with the bullet. I picked out the best three and pulled the bolts out and checked the bores. I then picked the best bore of the three best muzzles.
Most the other guy's were checking for matching numbers and looked at me like I was crazy or something but I got a great shooting rifle for $89.
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 21:16   #25
Jakestir

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like ill be a proud owner of a new rifle soon.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Jakestir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 22:49   #26
raven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakestir View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like ill be a proud owner of a new rifle soon.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Your going to love it , I got a izhevsk hex 91/30 mosin nagant and a 440 tin of ammo just because of the cheap price.

I still have the 91/30 and added a M44 carbine, M39 Finnish mosin and that is only counting my russian milsurps

It's a good , accurate rifle , with a lot of history behind it
I've lost count of the new people I introduced to shooting with my mosin