GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 19:10   #21
JDSTG58
Senior Member
 
JDSTG58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USSA
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ish View Post
Shooting a Mosin or any other vintage military rifle off a bench to try and create small groups on paper at 100 yds or 50 yds is a curious sport. Like buying a surplus school bus to practice parallel parking techniques.
True, but get a Swiss K31. The Swiss are masters of disguising target rifles as cheap mill surp. Many will shoot MOA. All Swiss GP11 surplus ammo is match grade.

I just bought a K31 this week for $225. Stock is only good condition, but it is going to be a great shooter.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 19:27   #22
raven11
Senior Member
 
raven11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSTG58 View Post
True, but get a Swiss K31. The Swiss are masters of disguising target rifles as cheap mill surp. Many will shoot MOA. All Swiss GP11 surplus ammo is match grade.

I just bought a K31 this week for $225. Stock is only good condition, but it is going to be a great shooter.
I own a K31 and I do have to warn about one Caveat the rifle shoots 7.5 Swiss milsurps ammo when you do find it is cheap but runs out quick so there is a buy cheap and stack deep mentality when you do find ammo. Commercial ammo made by wolf is about .75 cents a round and is somewhat more available but depends on your area

Compaired to mosin ammo which is available everywhere and near me is about $80 for a tin of 440

The K31 is a better shooter than the mosin but you do pay a little extra for cost of rifle and ammo I paid $250 ( to be fair I got a sling and bayonet) for a K31 and $80 for my mosin
__________________
Quote:
He's actually wrong, after 8-9 shots with a 9mm bullet, you actually get a text on your phone saying "You are being shot at by a 9mm, don't worry, just ignore him and walk away."
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 20:32   #23
JDSTG58
Senior Member
 
JDSTG58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USSA
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
I own a K31 and I do have to warn about one Caveat the rifle shoots 7.5 Swiss milsurps ammo when you do find it is cheap but runs out quick so there is a buy cheap and stack deep mentality when you do find ammo. Commercial ammo made by wolf is about .75 cents a round and is somewhat more available but depends on your area

Compaired to mosin ammo which is available everywhere and near me is about $80 for a tin of 440

The K31 is a better shooter than the mosin but you do pay a little extra for cost of rifle and ammo I paid $250 ( to be fair I got a sling and bayonet) for a K31 and $80 for my mosin
The great thing about 7.5 Swiss is that it's bullet is .308, so once you have the brass, finding bullets for reloading isn't too bad.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 20:59   #24
garya1961
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 674
I drove about 60 miles to a shop that had a large rack of 91/30's for $89. I carried a 762X54 round with me and checked the muzzles of each rifle with the bullet. I picked out the best three and pulled the bolts out and checked the bores. I then picked the best bore of the three best muzzles.
Most the other guy's were checking for matching numbers and looked at me like I was crazy or something but I got a great shooting rifle for $89.
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 21:16   #25
Jakestir
Senior Member
 
Jakestir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,056
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like ill be a proud owner of a new rifle soon.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Jakestir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 22:49   #26
raven11
Senior Member
 
raven11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakestir View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like ill be a proud owner of a new rifle soon.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Your going to love it , I got a izhevsk hex 91/30 mosin nagant and a 440 tin of ammo just because of the cheap price.

I still have the 91/30 and added a M44 carbine, M39 Finnish mosin and that is only counting my russian milsurps

It's a good , accurate rifle , with a lot of history behind it
I've lost count of the new people I introduced to shooting with my mosin
__________________
Quote:
He's actually wrong, after 8-9 shots with a 9mm bullet, you actually get a text on your phone saying "You are being shot at by a 9mm, don't worry, just ignore him and walk away."
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,050
270 Members
780 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42