Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-23-2014, 13:19   #101
Catshooter

vaquero,

My opinion but they're full of it. I think they say things like to make it sound like they have a special 'in' that us peons don't have.

I use Universal Clays. Works great.

Cat

Last edited by Catshooter; 06-23-2014 at 14:19..
Catshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 13:27   #102
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
vaquero,

My opinion but there full of it. I think they say things like to make it sound like they have a special 'in' that us peons don't have.

I use Universal Clays. Works great.

Cat
I must agree. The writers have to maintain their relevance. God forbid they print some erroneous information since everything that they tell us is the Gospel.
G2930SF, G38 w/lasermax The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #7663, US Army Veteran

Old 06-23-2014, 15:07   #103
dbarry

I've used bullseye, herco, blue dot and others.
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:54   #104
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

As I bid my last hopper full of Universal farewell, I am switching to PowerPistol. I will start with about 6.5 - 6.7 grains under a 200 grn Xtreme Flat Point.

Range reports to come. FWIW, the burn rate for Universal and Power Pistol are # 42 and # 43 respectively on the burn rate chart.
Old 06-29-2014, 18:33   #105
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

OK, inventory shows I have about 1500 185 grn xtreme bullets, so I loaded these instead. I used 7.3 grns of power pistol under the 185 xtreme flatpoint. Very accurate and as usual, a soft shooting round. That PP does make a flash though doesn't it?
Old 06-29-2014, 20:13   #106
Catshooter

That's one of many things I like about Universal Clays. It's flash-suppressed.

Of course, try finding any . . .

Cat
Old 06-29-2014, 20:21   #107
GRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
This is the same problem I have.....is there a solution other than this old rookie grinding?
Dillon 45 acp dies work fine on my 550. Dillon now sells them as 45 acp/45 gap dies.
GRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 15:52   #108
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
This is the same problem I have.....is there a solution other than this old rookie grinding?
Not sure the difference, but I have the Lee 3 die .45 set, adjusted down to GAP. I was getting some FTGIB, so I had to make sure i flared them first, then do a little finagling with the crimp and the rounds started coming out fine.

One thing I noticed setting up a rifle die was that I had gotten an extra lock ring I didn't need on the re-sizer and couldn't screw it down all the way.
Old 07-01-2014, 16:04   #109
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
Any good loads in .45 GAP using Unique 230 grain roundnose lead and 185 grain swc.
I've been using Power Pistol and Longshot with 230 grain RN. I'm at camp without my Lyman Manual, but I think it gives the formula for PP. Check for Longshot, but I think I calculated from the ACP table starting with 90% of the minimum.
Old 07-01-2014, 17:34   #110
Catshooter

I use 45 ACP dies for reloading my GAPs. No modifications.

Cat
Old 07-06-2014, 18:52   #111
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Lee makes a die set specifically for 45 GAP. I use them on a Pro 1000 and they work great. I have a lot of PowerPistol recipes if someone wants me to publish them.

Last edited by fasteddie565; 09-29-2014 at 09:25..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 20:40   #112
Catshooter

Yes. Lee is pretty good at making/labeling die sets for a single caliber when in fact the dies properly made will fit more than just one caliber.

Hornady does the opposite.

Cat
Old 10-30-2014, 17:23   #113
Tackleberry40sw

Today, a friend and I loaded some 230gr. lead flat nose with 4.3gr. of tite group. I did not have a chance to shoot today, but I will update my results. We sorted through my once fired cases and ran into a slight issue. We found that the Sellier and Bellot cases did not sue a small pistol primer but, instead, uses a large pistol primer. When I compared the S&B cases to the other headstamps (WIN, Federal, Speer, Remington, etc) the rim was different on the S&B cases as compared to the others. When I compared the S&B 45 GAP cases to a 45 ACP case, the rim looked identical to the 45 ACP case head. Has anyone had any experience reloading S&B cases or tun into this issue? Thanks in advance.
"Those that would give up liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin
Tackleberry40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 17:54   #114
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

I have seen the S&B ammo, but have never fired it. I know I continue to read not to trim ACP brass to load in a 45 GAP.

If you need some GAP brass, I can sell you some.

Last edited by fasteddie565; 11-02-2014 at 18:41..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 18:59   #115
Tackleberry40sw

Thanks for the offer Eddie. If I need brass I will contact you. Have your heard of anyone reloading the S&B brass? Is there or should there be any difference between the large pistol primers and small pistol primers and the respective powder charges? I just want to make sure the cases are good to go or not at all and if the load data will differ due to primer size.
"Those that would give up liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-02-2014, 18:52   #116
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
Thanks for the offer Eddie. If I need brass I will contact you. Have your heard of anyone reloading the S&B brass? Is there or should there be any difference between the large pistol primers and small pistol primers and the respective powder charges? I just want to make sure the cases are good to go or not at all and if the load data will differ due to primer size.
You might send them a note or check their web site. Check the wall thickness the length of the casing and then check Speer gold dot case. if you are confident the case is sound to reload, you might drop the recipes by 10% with the LPP just for good measure.

Try this page
Old 11-02-2014, 19:19   #117
Tackleberry40sw

We actually cut a S&B case and a Speer case and the case head on the speer is thicker than the S&B case. We decided not to load them and instead get some ornage plastic bullets and turn them into dumby rounds.
Old 11-16-2014, 18:42   #118
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
We actually cut a S&B case and a Speer case and the case head on the speer is thicker than the S&B case. We decided not to load them and instead get some ornage plastic bullets and turn them into dumby rounds.
Good call. No sense in pushing your luck.
Old 11-18-2014, 18:33   #119
Tackleberry40sw

The 230 grain cast lead flat point with CCI Smal Pistol Primers and 4.3 grains of Tite Group worked out well. I wish I had a chronograph.