Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2012, 16:03   #1
wrangler_dave9

It's getting too close to home

I was just talking to my next-door neighbor and the stories are now too close to home for my comfort. It's a kick in the pants for me to get my concealed permit and a G23. My neighbor just told me that two nights ago, someone tried to break into his apartment two nights ago when his wife and children were home. He also told me that some really shady people were messing with my vehicle early in the morning early last week. He told me that he plans on getting his concealed permit and having a shotgun in his apartment, A 9mm in his vehicle, and another 9mm in his apartment as well. We are now signing up together to get our concealed permits and having been talking about home defense options. For people who live in Utah, or know the the state fairly well, this is coming from St. George. Little, quiet St. George. The fit is really starting to hit the shan.

Being an American. My greatest blessing.
wrangler_dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 22:13   #2
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Not familiar with Utah, but sorry to hear the excrement is hitting the rotary oscillator.

Would advise against leaving a weapon in your vehicles. I've seen some bad reviews of common weapon lock boxes.

Shady people around your car could be some alphabet agency placing GPS tracker. You do any government work?

Good plans otherwise. Hope you're well prepared and never need to follow through. You and your families stay safe.

Last edited by Paul53; 07-08-2012 at 22:18..
Paul53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 00:38   #3
wrangler_dave9

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I was talking to my neighbor about leaving a weapon in the vehicle, probably not a good idea.

Nope, no government work, just work at one of the local Walmart stores, I don't think I piss anyone off enough to make them attack me. It seems completely random. My vehicle is a 2001 Honda Accord. Nothing special. The paint is fading on the hood and top. Another one of my neighbors has the same exact car, just different color, I need to talk to them, see if they have noticed anything.

My car has an aftermarket alarm system, but I think it's pretty old (was already installed when I purchased). I'm thinking I'll replace it with something a bit newer and I'm also thinking about installing a small infrared camera that will watch my vehicle during the night, see if it happens again. Luckily my neighbor have me a description of the vehicle so if I see it around I'll call my good friend at the Sheriff's office.

Being an American. My greatest blessing.
wrangler_dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 18:11   #4
cowboy1964

He also told me that some really shady people were messing with my vehicle early in the morning early last week..... A 9mm in his vehicle

Yes, I'm glad someone pointed out the questionable nature of this idea.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:24   #5
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

I highly recommend NOT leaving a weapon in your vehicle. That's a $500 bonus a thief will get for breaking in and he could use it in subsequent crimes. Please don't leave a weapon in your car.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04   #6
Bren
NRA Life Member

Had a home invasion across the street from me (as in, the next street number after my house) 2 nights ago. That's what guns and dogs are for.

Don't worry HalfHazzard, I always leave a less valuable gun in my car.

Last edited by Bren; 07-10-2012 at 06:05..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 22:56   #7
UtahIrishman
BLR

I'm in the Salt Lake metro area and things are getting pretty dicey around here. I carry all the time.

I'd like to move to a smaller town but I have a job that pays well with excellent benefits. Doubtful I'd be able to find that in a smaller town.

Probably stick it out 'til retirement, then find some sleep little burg in the middle of no-where...if such a place still exists.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13   #8
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

I know that in the past there were at least SOME places that were relatively safe...or at least had the illusion of being safe. I really don't think that is the case any longer. I believe that even the most protected gated communities in the most urban situations in the most affluent areas to the most isolated and exposed places in rural areas can expect increases in violent crime.

even if this isn't 100% true it will be before long. I think everyone should give some thought to personal safety. I know carrying a gun isn't the answer for everybody but everybody should focus on situational awareness and have SOME form of protection. There are lots of non-lethal alternatives available. But regardless of what you decide to use, lethal or non-lethal everyone should remain constantly aware of their surroundings when outside your home....parking lots, malls, restaurants, theaters.....etc.

Most policing agencies are undermanned and/or overwhelmed especially in the larger more populated areas. It's time for us as citizens to start to take some of the responsibility for our own personal safety.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29   #9
gsr

There are still some backwater towns in Utah.
gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 18:54   #10
UtahIrishman
BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
There are still some backwater towns in Utah.
yep...not sayin' where though

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 18:33   #11
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
I always considered St. George a fairly quiet community. I guess things are getting hairy all over.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:51   #12
A6Gator

It'll get better when Barry gets re-elected...
Old 10-14-2012, 13:50   #13
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6Gator View Post
It'll get better when Barry gets re-elected...
Utah's paltry six electoral votes will surely go to Mittens, regardless.

I was talking to my father in-law about how we never get visits from presidential candidates. He said, "Mitt's been here lots of times..."

I quickly relied, "Only to attend fundraisers!"

Ugh, I hate the Utah GOP.

On topic, I still walk around downtown, and even through Rose Park/Glendale/Poplar Grove. I am sure that property crime is up; but I haven't noticed a substantial increase in violent crime, yet (big "yet").
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote