Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:41   #21
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mountain Boy View Post
The rounds would fail to feed basically. The gun would fire the round in the chamber then eject it fully. The next round would begin to strip but not make it up the whole way out of the mag causing a failure. The slide would hang up on the partially fed round at that point.

Kevin's explanation makes sense in that with a bad crimp the round may come out of the mag weird. My earlier issues were due to a softer spring than called for given the circumstances.

Regards, GMB
My ftf's were caused by the brass getting hung in my lwd barrel chamber. I have been told that lwd's chambers have been known to be out of spec.
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:43   #22
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Your failure sounds like a slide speed issue, too fast. JMO.
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:00   #23
Green Mountain Boy

slide speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero aleman View Post
Your failure sounds like a slide speed issue, too fast. JMO.
I agree 100% which is why I was shocked when the 21lb spring didn't solve the issue on the first batch and the second batch ran flawlessly.

My plan is to order a good stock from Kevin once it is available and test a mag full from each box I receive to verify that there is no problem with any of them. That way I have a supply I can depend on for sure.

Regards, GMB

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:55   #24
dryfly
Platinum Membership

I just ran a few mags full of Underwoods 200 xtp's thru my stock Gen 3 29sf ..... no problems. The one issue I have is I am running low on the stuff.....
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 21:43   #25
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mountain Boy View Post
The rounds would fail to feed basically. The gun would fire the round in the chamber then eject it fully. The next round would begin to strip but not make it up the whole way out of the mag causing a failure. The slide would hang up on the partially fed round at that point.

Kevin's explanation makes sense in that with a bad crimp the round may come out of the mag weird. My earlier issues were due to a softer spring than called for given the circumstances.

Regards, GMB
The heavier spring is causing a reduced amount of dwell time when the slide is back, and then a faster slide return. Accordingly, the slide is getting there before the next round is lifted into position. Instead of collecting the next round on the rim, it is bumping into it on the side of the case. I had similar failures with hot ammo and a heavier spring.

In my G20, hot ammo + heaver springs = failures to feed. It also means sharper recoil impulses and a more abrupt forward return.

Hot ammo, warm ammo, or wimpy ammo with the stock spring = 100% function.

Last edited by Taterhead; 06-11-2013 at 21:46..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 23:57   #26
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Yup. My factory barrels and springs have been 110% reliable in my 20SF and 29SF. Zero problems with warm or hot loads. Zero problems with feeding or ejection. Zero problems with my hand loads, factory stuff or underwood stuff. And zero issues with the fabled smilies. I've reloaded my Starline cases after use in the stock barrel and have had no problems at all. Because I carry my Tens almost daily for SD and HD, I won't have an aftermarket setup in these guns. I learned my lesson years ago about trying to buy "better" parts. Anything internal has never worked out and has always ended up in the scrap box to be given away to friends.

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 06-12-2013 at 00:00..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27   #27
Green Mountain Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
The heavier spring is causing a reduced amount of dwell time when the slide is back, and then a faster slide return. Accordingly, the slide is getting there before the next round is lifted into position. Instead of collecting the next round on the rim, it is bumping into it on the side of the case. I had similar failures with hot ammo and a heavier spring.

In my G20, hot ammo + heaver springs = failures to feed. It also means sharper recoil impulses and a more abrupt forward return.

That is my exact opposite experience. The weaker spring was causing me issues and heavy spring plus new batch of ammo seems to have solved it.

NECC #64
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56   #28
ModGlock17

I am curious. If you still have both the old and the new unfired rounds from UW, please measure the overall length of the cartridge. I would assume not, but verify that he didn't change it... Making it shorter or longer...

Also, my experience with recoil springs is that after some 100-200 rounds, they'd become reliable... Less stiff at the compressed end.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:58   #29
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Most of the rounds from Underwood's I measured prior to the pull-downs were 155's, 165's & 180's were 1.2520" - 1.2525".
The 180gr XTP was 1.2590" the 165 Gold Dot 1.2500"

Most recent 180gr Speer TMJ 1.2445"

All of the data is posted over at 10mmFirearms.com in the pull-down areas. http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 14:15   #30
ModGlock17

Thx, Shadow. I was curious whether the ammo that didn't feed well was an aberration of their normal mfg measurement. Thus if he corrected them to his normal mfg OAL target, probably close to 1.250", it worked. A date code on the box, a required record by ATF license, would have given him traceability to see if they were on mfg target. That's what I was wondering about.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 14:19   #31
Green Mountain Boy

Underwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Thx, Shadow. I was curious whether the ammo that didn't feed well was an aberration of their normal mfg measurement. Thus if he corrected them to his normal mfg OAL target, probably close to 1.250", it worked. A date code on the box, a required record by ATF license, would have given him traceability to see if they were on mfg target. That's what I was wondering about.
I gave the brass to a buddy to reload. Kevin from underwood stated that ammo went out with a crimp issue.

Regards, GMB

NECC #64