SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:25   #1061
"Cold Dead Hands" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4talyst View Post
I decided to carry simply because I am a firearms enthusiast living in a state that allows it.

I find a lot of people who decide to carry after encountering some life altering event are not truly prepared to do so. Firstly deciding to CCW because something has happened to you is a reactionary measure. A lot of these people think buying and carrying a gun is the solution to their newly found problem (fear of assault, family safety, death).

These owners are often not "gun" people and furthermore lack the skills and experience needed to safely carry and use a firearm. Many of these types of people think simply showing or pointing their weapong will resolve a deadly situation in the favor. They are sorely mistaken.

If you decide to start carrying a gun because of a negative event you have witnessed and encountered, get the proper training, to include mental preparation for taking another human's life.
Agreed !
Getting a carry gun and license quickly out of fear, leaves you armed but un-trained and unprepared.
First time gun buyers are easily ripped off, and steered towards the wrong gun, or not the best for their needs or money, knowing that they will be back to buy something better in the near future.
They don't know the local laws for owning, carrying and transporting guns and ammo, or when and where they can use it to defend themselves, and end up in big trouble.
They also don't know proper gun safety.
The novice will always pickup a gun by first putting their finger on the trigger as they pick it up.
That's the worst thing you can do.
Or they will put a fully loaded and covked gun in their purse or duffle bag, without a holster to protect the trigger from getting pulled accidently.
A local woman here got shot in the face by her toddler in the supermarket.
Who pulled the Mom's loaded gun out of her purse, while sitting in the shopping cart. Mother died.
"Cold Dead Hands" ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 00:59   #1062
apesmash

Two weeks after returning home from college my senior year, I was taking a shower in my parents home in the middle of the day. It was May, 2011 and very hot out and I'd just gotten done at the gym. After exiting the shower, our dog was standing at the top of the stairs leading to the basement with his ears perked with a low growl. Something was wrong. Soaking wet, I threw on my gym shorts, grabbed my little Rossi M62 .22 from my room and headed down stairs, muzzle raised.

When I got to the basement, that connected to the garage I noticed the door to the garage was wide open. I was the only one home, parents at work and grandparents not in town and had just gotten home. I knew I didn't leave that door unlocked and started to quickly clear the basement rooms the best I could at the time.

Once I got to clearing the garage, I turned the corner to see the big garage door was open too and a portly looking fella holding some tools from my truck, his back to me. I commanded him to drop my stuff and get on the ground. He turned and had the audacity to say, "Nice BB gun". I racked the fore end, a .22 flew out of the receiver, and told him again to get on the ground. He dropped my stuff and bolted out the door. Knowing I would get bent over by the prosecution, I did not pull the trigger and chased him down the block, eventually losing him. I called the cops, but they couldn't do anything except take a police report. A month later, the perp was caught doing the same thing and was connected to 52 other burglaries in my area.

I felt violated even though nothing was stolen. It made me feel that I needed to better protect myself and my family. I told my grandparents what happened and my grandma suggested we both go get our CCW permits! The rest is history. Glad I did because I caught a dude trying to kick in my door back at college about a year later and made him reevaluate his actions while he stared down the barrel of my Taurus Judge. Criminals, man.....
Winchester 1300, 12 gauge
Marlin 336, .30-30
apesmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:52   #1063
SpringerTGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cold Dead Hands" ! View Post
Agreed !
Getting a carry gun and license quickly out of fear, leaves you armed but un-trained and unprepared.
First time gun buyers are easily ripped off, and steered towards the wrong gun, or not the best for their needs or money, knowing that they will be back to buy something better in the near future.
They don't know the local laws for owning, carrying and transporting guns and ammo, or when and where they can use it to defend themselves, and end up in big trouble.
They also don't know proper gun safety.
The novice will always pickup a gun by first putting their finger on the trigger as they pick it up.
That's the worst thing you can do.
Or they will put a fully loaded and covked gun in their purse or duffle bag, without a holster to protect the trigger from getting pulled accidently.
A local woman here got shot in the face by her toddler in the supermarket.
Who pulled the Mom's loaded gun out of her purse, while sitting in the shopping cart. Mother died.
Regardless of the sport, people have to start at the bottom and learn. People often look at beginning skiers and beginning motorcyclists at the race track, and act like they are somehow superior because of their expertise.
Nobody I know was born an expert on firearms, and in the scheme of things, it's really no big deal. I know plenty of dumba*****'s who know how to handle a firearm.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05   #1064
2guns

Because as someone has in their sigline "people are generally stupid".
Oh, and I watch the local news.
please be safe
Joethebear

Last edited by 2guns; 03-31-2015 at 13:13..
2guns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 19:23   #1065
Rugar Fan

May 14 1973 Alday Family Massacre was the worse murders in southwest Georgia history.Google it for all the details.
Rugar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 19:27   #1066
sugarcreek
familyman

Bet that Cartoon Contest Event has inspired a couple folks to take up CC...
Old 05-19-2015, 02:27   #1067
PinkGuy

I had just turned 18. I was riding with my uncle through town. He usually lived in the more run down parts of town. Growing up I never thought much of it but into my teen years I realized some things were a bit sketchy.

Sitting in his truck he said he had something to show me. He slid a small J-frame from his waistline and showed it to me. I was a bit shocked since I never considered that anyone in my family carried. We weren't anti-gun by any means. Hell the home defense gun was an AK-74.

"This is for y'alls protection."

I'll always remember that. I never knew he carried, or that many men in my family did. I knew that when the time came I'd carry on the tradition and carry quietly as well.

Sorry if this sounds pretty lame..
PinkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote