Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2013, 21:52   #76
Carl Spangler
G37 Gen 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spangler View Post
Thanks for the shout out. I got sidetracked on a house remodel and won't get to the range until sometime next week. I did get my chronograph so I'll be able to report actual velocities. Really looking forward to checking out some GAP loads!

BTW: I'd actually prefer to load 200 grn bullets with the GAP but they are unobtanium right now and I have a big supply of 230's.

regards
JohnG
Holy cow that remodel really took me off my game.

Anyway, I finally got the GAP out to the range. Using new Starline brass and 230 grain FMJ I loaded 4.7 and 4.8 grains of Universal. Checkout included a chroni.

Unfortunately these loads had more than a fair bit of velocity variation. The 4.7 max/min was 90 FPS and the 4.8 was somewhat better but still not acceptable. I've since been told that Universal likes to be loaded toward the hot side of things so I'm guessing these mid range loads just weren't optimal for that powder. ???

A couple of other somewhat disappointing issues. The ejected brass was consistently clobbering me in the head and the trigger pull was WAY WAY higher than the claimed 5.5#. The trigger pull I can deal with but I'd like some rec's on how to deal with case ejection issue and velocity variation. ???

I suspect I need to locate some 200gr bullets to make this GAP a happy camper. Perhaps that will fix the ejection issues too.

Thanks for any advice.................

Edit: I also ordered the Lone Wolf barrel for the G37. This will allow me to try a few more options on bullets.

Edit 06/17/13
Ran another 50 rounds through the GAP with the both the factory and Lone Wolf barrel. Load was 4.95 gr Universal with 230 gr FMJ. The velocity spread was tighter than with the 4.7 and 4.8 gr loads. We're heading to the range tomorrow with another 50 loaded at 5.0gr of Universal. I think this 5.0 will be the end of the road for Universal. I'm looking for some WSF which I suspect will be a better match for this heavy 230 gr bullet.

cheers
JohnG

Last edited by Carl Spangler; 06-17-2013 at 19:47..
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 15:59   #77
Cactus Jack

Carl keep us posted.. I just picked up a G37 and 250 rounds of Speer factory 185gr TMJ and 200 Round of Speer 200gr TMJ.. ordered 400 pieces of brass from LEO Brass and have 250 200gr RNF from Precision Bullets on the way......checking out load data now and getting ready to hit the range and shoot this rascal
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 22:47   #78
Carl Spangler
G37 Gen 4

More good stuff with the G37
Bought a box of factory 230gr ammo and compared it to a 5.0(+) Universal load (new Starline brass) in both the Glock and Lone Wolf barrel.

The following data was taken at ~4500 ft elevation and is just a prelim as I really need a higher sample set:

Federal American Eagle 230gr Glock barrel: 879 fps avg
Federal American Eagle 230gr Lone Wolf barrel: 880 fps avg
The standard deviation was just ~15 fps with the LW barrel and about ~22 fps with the Glock barrel.

5.0 gr Universal with 230 gr FMJ Glock barrel: ~815 fps
5.0 gr Universal with 230 gr FMJ and LW barrel: ~830 fps
The standard dev with both the Glock and LW barrel was a fair bit higher than the Federal ammo. Not sure if the sample set was sufficient but the LW barrel seemed to perform better than the Glock barrel with the 'reloads'.

I will say that the factory ammo was more consistent and a bit 'hotter' than the Universal load. I'm coming to the conclusion (?) that Universal isn't the best for this weight bullet. However, I did finally find some WSF powder so my next attempt (next week???) will be with that powder. I probably won't have any 200 gr bullets for a while as they are just unobtanium right now.

cheers
JohnG
Old 06-18-2013, 23:50   #79
furn man

I use hornady dies in .45 acp for my .45 gap. bought them cheap at a gun show and they work fine.
furn man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 00:05   #80
furn man

autocomp

anyone try winchesters autocomp powder for .45 gap? Can't seem to find any recipes for 230 gr. bullet.
furn man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:20   #81
Cactus Jack

Quote:
More good stuff with the G37
Bought a box of factory 230gr ammo and compared it to a 5.0(+) Universal load (new Starline brass) in both the Glock and Lone Wolf barrel.

The following data was taken at ~4500 ft elevation and is just a prelim as I really need a higher sample set:

Federal American Eagle 230gr Glock barrel: 879 fps avg
Federal American Eagle 230gr Lone Wolf barrel: 880 fps avg
The standard deviation was just ~15 fps with the LW barrel and about ~22 fps with the Glock barrel.

5.0 gr Universal with 230 gr FMJ Glock barrel: ~815 fps
5.0 gr Universal with 230 gr FMJ and LW barrel: ~830 fps
The standard dev with both the Glock and LW barrel was a fair bit higher than the Federal ammo. Not sure if the sample set was sufficient but the LW barrel seemed to perform better than the Glock barrel with the 'reloads'.

I will say that the factory ammo was more consistent and a bit 'hotter' than the Universal load. I'm coming to the conclusion (?) that Universal isn't the best for this weight bullet. However, I did finally find some WSF powder so my next attempt (next week???) will be with that powder. I probably won't have any 200 gr bullets for a while as they are just unobtanium right now.

cheers
JohnG
I think you might want to look at Power Pistol or WSF for the 230 Grain pill in the 45 GAP.... check this out if you have not done so already - http://www.reloadammo.com/45-gap-loads.htm

Shot my G37 last night at the local range... 15-25 yards standing slow fire... the gun is scary accurate and relatively mild recoiling. I love it. I am going to be reloading sooner than later and will post up once I do. 200 grain Precision Bullets and 200 Grain Hunters Supply RNFP bullets with Power Pistol and AA#5. I think a G38 is in my future as well.....
Old 06-19-2013, 19:32   #82
Carl Spangler
G37 Gen 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I think you might want to look at Power Pistol or WSF for the 230 Grain pill in the 45 GAP.... check this out if you have not done so already - http://www.reloadammo.com/45-gap-loads.htm

Shot my G37 last night at the local range... 15-25 yards standing slow fire... the gun is scary accurate and relatively mild recoiling. I love it. I am going to be reloading sooner than later and will post up once I do. 200 grain Precision Bullets and 200 Grain Hunters Supply RNFP bullets with Power Pistol and AA#5. I think a G38 is in my future as well.....
I ordered a bunch of those 200gr Precision Bullets today. Got an email indicating orders are backed up ~14 weeks.

In the mean time I'm going to try WSF with those 230 Montana Gold bullets.

cheers
JohnG

Last edited by Carl Spangler; 06-19-2013 at 19:41..
Old 06-19-2013, 20:14   #83
Cactus Jack

Quote:
I ordered a bunch of those 200gr Precision Bullets today. Got an email indicating orders are backed up ~14 weeks.

In the mean time I'm going to try WSF with those 230 Montana Gold bullets.

cheers
JohnG
Yup. I was told 10-12 weeks when I ordered mine. Midway USA has the Hunters Supply 200Gr RNFP in stock and I have those here now..... Gonna load up once my dies arrive.
Old 06-19-2013, 20:19   #84
Carl Spangler
G37 Gen 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Yup. I was told 10-12 weeks when I ordered mine. Midway USA has the Hunters Supply 200Gr RNFP in stock and I have those here now..... Gonna load up once my dies arrive.
What dies did you order?

The 4 die Lee set I got were a major PITA because the flair and crimp dies were "too long". i.e. optomized for the longer 45 ACP case. I had to shorten them on the grinder which is not an optimal solution.
Old 06-20-2013, 15:21   #85
Firecop203

Quote:
What dies did you order?

The 4 die Lee set I got were a major PITA because the flair and crimp dies were "too long". i.e. optomized for the longer 45 ACP case. I had to shorten them on the grinder which is not an optimal solution.

Grind the dies?

I have Lee dies and all I had to do was adjust them down. What kind of press are you using?
“Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.”
Benjamin Franklin
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 17:53   #86
Carl Spangler
G37 Gen 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecop203 View Post
Grind the dies?

I have Lee dies and all I had to do was adjust them down. What kind of press are you using?
Using a LNL and 4 die set. The flare and crimp die were both too long. i.e. couldn't get enough flare and crimp without the die bodies hitting the shell plate.

JohnG
Old 06-21-2013, 03:08   #87
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Using a LNL and 4 die set. The flare and crimp die were both too long. i.e. couldn't get enough flare and crimp without the die bodies hitting the shell plate.

JohnG
Lee Dies for me as well.... they just arrived and I will get them onto the RL550B sometime next week and see how they work out... Lordy they better simply adjust down to accommodate the GAP and not require fitting/grinding.

Also ordered some 200 grain hp cast bullets and again find the waiting game upon me as the industry tries to keep up with firearmageddon.. Here is the link to the 200gr HP bullet http://www.bslbullet.com/200-grain-h...-base-p-7.html
Old 07-02-2013, 15:17   #88
xrmattaz

Quote:

JohnG
This is the same problem I have.....is there a solution other than this old rookie grinding?
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:02   #89
Carl Spangler
G37 Gen 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
This is the same problem I have.....is there a solution other than this old rookie grinding?
Buy dies from another Co. Which one I don't know (for SURE) ~~~~~~

My bro purchased an extra set of Dillon 45 cal dies for his 650 and we will have a go at some GAP ammo in a week or so.

cheers
JohnG
Old 07-02-2013, 16:40   #90
xrmattaz

Quote:
Buy dies from another Co. Which one I don't know (for SURE) ~~~~~~

My bro purchased an extra set of Dillon 45 cal dies for his 650 and we will have a go at some GAP ammo in a week or so.

cheers
JohnG
For a few years now, I've worked around the problem, although it does weigh on my mind. I'll search for different/specific GAP dies.
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 13:05   #91
hunter won

Any good loads in .45 GAP using Unique 230 grain roundnose lead and 185 grain swc.
hunter won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 00:07   #92
trlcavscout

G39, unsuccessful first attempt. I have downloaded 9/10/40/45acp with titegroup and good success but today didn't work! First range trip with the G39, lots of fun with factory AE and WWB 230gr. I haven't got my big brass order so I was limited on what I had.

Both of these loads failed to cycle the slide half the time. They were soft and fun and accurate but no go. The 200gr plated RN bullets will be my main loadings but will probably go to 230gr if I get a good deal on them. I know the gun will loosen up a bit. Anybody else using TG powder and similar bullets on the G39 what's the lowest powder charge you have gotten away with and still be accurate and reliable? The hydrashock loads were just because I had 16 of them left from my acp and wanted them gone.

165gr Federal hydrashock
4.5gr TG
Win primer
Assorted brass

200gr extreme round nose plated
4.0 TG
Win primer
Assorted brass

Last edited by trlcavscout; 01-03-2014 at 00:08..
trlcavscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52   #93
AZson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang419 View Post
Anybody use Unique or Red Dot ?
Both, I also have use Bear Creak lead bullets for years also.
Pretty much every load I have fallowed on the web sites have worked very good for me.

Last edited by AZson; 01-03-2014 at 08:54..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:17   #94
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlcavscout View Post
G39, unsuccessful first attempt. I have downloaded 9/10/40/45acp with titegroup and good success but today didn't work! First range trip with the G39, lots of fun with factory AE and WWB 230gr. I haven't got my big brass order so I was limited on what I had.

Both of these loads failed to cycle the slide half the time. They were soft and fun and accurate but no go. The 200gr plated RN bullets will be my main loadings but will probably go to 230gr if I get a good deal on them. I know the gun will loosen up a bit. Anybody else using TG powder and similar bullets on the G39 what's the lowest powder charge you have gotten away with and still be accurate and reliable? The hydrashock loads were just because I had 16 of them left from my acp and wanted them gone.

165gr Federal hydrashock
4.5gr TG
Win primer
Assorted brass

200gr extreme round nose plated
4.0 TG
Win primer
Assorted brass
I do not shoot 165's but an estimation from 155's and 185's shows 4.5 grn on the very low end of the range. Same with 4.0 for the 200. Just too light a load. I would add 2 10ths of a grain for each load you described as a minimum load.

I love the plated bullets. Most manufacturers recommend loading like lead. A safe bet is starting somewhere in the middle of jacketed bullet loads or just follow lead loads if available.

My experience is that the 200 grn bullets do the best and have the most varied load recipes available (As opposed to the 230)

Last edited by fasteddie565; 01-04-2014 at 08:44..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:03   #95
attrapereves

I've been thinking of picking up a 45GAP. I looked over some load data and found out that a lot of the powders I use for 45ACP do not have load data for the 45GAP. Can you start with 45ACP data and work up?

Which bullet weight is preferred for 45GAP? Are rounded nose or flat points preferred?
Old 01-17-2014, 17:31   #96
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I've been thinking of picking up a 45GAP. I looked over some load data and found out that a lot of the powders I use for 45ACP do not have load data for the 45GAP. Can you start with 45ACP data and work up?

Which bullet weight is preferred for 45GAP? Are rounded nose or flat points preferred?
I'm using 185 gr Berry's Bullets, hollow base round nose. They work great.

My Lee load data book has 45GAP listed in it but it doesn't list Unique which I use. I went on Alliance's website and downloaded load data for a 45GAP 185gr JHP and used the lower weight.
Old 02-28-2014, 14:03   #97
attrapereves

I've got some powder that does not have 45GAP load data listed. Is is acceptable to start with 45ACP data and work up loads?

I've been using Ramshot competition and IMR PB for 185 and 200gr 45ACP loads, but these powders do not have listings for 45GAP.

Last edited by attrapereves; 02-28-2014 at 14:06..
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:09   #98
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I've got some powder that does not have 45GAP load data listed. Is is acceptable to start with 45ACP data and work up loads?

I've been using Ramshot competition and IMR PB for 185 and 200gr 45ACP loads, but these powders do not have listings for 45GAP.
The powders I use for 40 S&W are closer to the types I use for 45 GAP.

There are some good loads for W 231. I have been using Clays and Universal Clays, but the availability is zero right now, so I am going to switch to either tight group or power pistol. (I have 8 lbs of each)

I am currently using 4.0 grns of Clays under a Rainier 200 FP copper coated bullet.