SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2008, 15:58   #201
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuppyFinn View Post
About 15 years ago I got into a confrontation with someone, whom I have reason to believe, was a cocaine addict. I decided to start carrying a .32 in my back pocket and a .45 in a range bag.

About five years ago, I was paying a cashier at a convenience store and she asked me for help. She thought the only other patron was going to rob her, and I have to admit she had good reason for believing this. I didn't think my .32 was up to the challenge so I told her I'd be right back. Sounds like Arnold doesn't it? Anyway it took a couple of minutes for me to get my .45 and holster. When I returned to the store the presumed BG had left. Since then I decided to carry something more powerful.
.32's are now prohibited weapons in Canada. Too many guys getting shot full of holes while trying to stop BGs? Nope. The government just decided they were bad guns.... now they are registering all firearms in the country. Wonder what could be next? England. Australia. So glad I am Yankee and 4-5 years from retirement back to the south. \

SAVE YOUR DIXIE CUPS FOR THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 21:33   #202
b_vanfossen

Growing up my mother went through many hard times that remind me to carry.

She was held hostage by two armed robbers in Kmart.

My parents owned a small business here in sunny S. Florida that was robbed three times. She was robbed by gun point twice and once beaten with a metal bar.

My parents home had been robbed 4 times. 3 times in one location (one time we came home in the act and she restled with one of the three robbers trying to escape) and 1 time in another home years later where they pepper sprayed the trained dog in the house.

I also remember reading somewhere that pointed out that on the news you never hear the crimes police prevented. Instead every night you hear about all the crimes that have happened throught day.

Be safe
b_vanfossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 22:35   #203
lastevolution
"Senior" Member

I'm not stupid. I can see what happens out in the world. Do no want to be a victim.
Old 02-08-2008, 15:12   #204
I Scuba 2

I decided to carry because of all your stories of being robbed, mugged, almost rapped (or seeing someone almost rapped) and I decided that I don't want a story like that to convince myself or others to carry. You all are not that different from me.
Old 02-10-2008, 14:55   #205
Piolin
DIRTY KUFFAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockanatorrrrr View Post
Actually that is the best idea. This way the shattering of the glass won't be as bad.

never mind...

Liberalism is the quest for a life without guilt and conservatism is the quest for a life without fear. We all act accordingly. Pro Deo Et Patria.

Last edited by Piolin; 02-10-2008 at 17:44..
Piolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 16:46   #206
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
Well, think again, you can put your handgun out of battery...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe they don't know if your slide or barrel gets pressed backwards a bit, your gun no boom.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:01   #207
Gimp
Old Coot

I made the conscious decision to get a CCW permit when I rode to the feed&grain on the outskirts of town (wearing, as usual in the saddle, my New Vaquero .357) and I opened my duster to get to my wallet ... in front of an off-duty cop.

I was lucky (this was prior to my lawsuit against the local law-dogs) and only got a butt-chewing and a business card for a local CCW instructor.
Old 02-14-2008, 22:19   #208
bamarammin87
h8tr

Tonight at midnite I turn 21. I will be going to get mine at 8a.m. when the doors open because I CAN. I've had some pretty close calls, having had friends that lived in the worse (not just the bad part,even worse) part of town, and looking down the barrel of a gun and feeling helpless is not something I want to go through again. I now have a fiance' and am getting married this august, and it will be MY responsibility to protect her. I would die if something happened to her, and I'm going to carry 24/7 to do everything in my ability to stop something from happening. and it also helps that I've had handguns for a couple years, and it sucks not being able to carry them concealed. After VA tech and all the other recent shootings, I decided that I will carry all the time, not just a couple nights a week when I go out. I've loved guns since I was young, love shooting them, love hunting with them, just fascinated by them. Even if I had none of the previous reasons, I would get it because I'm an American citizen, and I can. I won't be a victim. Neither will my family if I can help it.
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 22:21   #209
bamarammin87
h8tr

And after joining GT last year, reading stories on here every day, it just made me more anxious to get my permit.
Old 02-16-2008, 00:34   #210
GPalmer
CLM Number 49
Charter Lifetime Member

I lost some weight and thought the in waistband holster would let me extend the life of my pants...

GPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 23:12   #211
bamarammin87
h8tr

haha
Old 02-17-2008, 19:37   #212
rj112275
NRA Member

What made me decide????

I moved to Memphis, Tennessee. Consistently one of the top 10 most violent cities in the U.S.
rj112275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 22:15   #213
JDSTG58

It was never a thought for me. I grew up with guns. My dad had a good size collection. He bought me a .22 when I was 6, ( I could only use it with him). By the time I was 16 I was into hunting and had a few rifles and shotguns. Both my parents had carry permits, so it was just a fact that I would get a permit when I was 18. Ive carried for almost 20 years now. Im sorry to read so many of you have had to face such defining moments.... Stay safe all.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 17:36   #214
Armed Infidel
~ Old Warrior ~

For me it was that the law finally allowed it in my state.
Old 02-25-2008, 00:50   #215
desertrat423

i have collected 11 pistols over the last 8 years and never gave a thought to getting a ccw. that was until about 3 weeks ago when my son was born. just took the ccw class today and will be heading down to the local pd to turn in the paper work tommorrow.

for some reason i never thought much about my safety but protecting my new family is now on the top of my list
desertrat423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 20:50   #216
Alpine

No particular reason other than desire to keep living. I take responsibility for my own personal safety and firearms have a place in that.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 15:59   #217
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I had two different situations that made me go get my concealed carry license. In The first situation, i was waiting with some friends in a Marta station in Atlanta after a game. About five twenty-something black thug dressed men came down an escalator, and started dancing around a single man holding a brief case, obviously waiting for the train after work. One of the young thugs finally gave him a good straight right to the face, totally unprovoked. Then when everybody started yelling and heading to the aid of the business man, the five cowards ran up the down moving escalator. It was a good ten minutes before on lone woman cop came running asking which way they had gone.

The second situation happened at a waffle house in a suburban setting-not a bad area. Everybody was eating and quiet when up rolls 7 cars full of thug looking young guys, complete with seriously loud music, sagging pants and more chains than huggy bear. they came in, walking up and down the isles, talking loud and daring anyone to say something. Some of them started banging on the windows, and shouting obscenities. The police were then called. I immediately told my then wife to get up and meet me at the cashier, we were leaving. They had crowded around the front door, and they did not move out of the way. Then when i got through them, and got to the car, i tried to back up and the good citizens proceeded to block me with their car.. I kept a cool head, and waited for them about 15 minutes to get out of the way. The police never did show up, as i drove off feeling lucky there was no confrontation. These are situations that i would have felt a lot better in being armed. I could not, and would not have pulled a weapon in these situations, unless it got clearly out of control and deadly, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it could have easily headed in that direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 16:41   #218
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbite View Post
I had two different situations that made me go get my concealed carry license. In The first situation, i was waiting with some friends in a Marta station in Atlanta after a game. About five twenty-something black thug dressed men came down an escalator, and started dancing around a single man holding a brief case, obviously waiting for the train after work. One of the young thugs finally gave him a good straight right to the face, totally unprovoked. Then when everybody started yelling and heading to the aid of the business man, the five cowards ran up the down moving escalator. It was a good ten minutes before on lone woman cop came running asking which way they had gone.

The second situation happened at a waffle house in a suburban setting-not a bad area. Everybody was eating and quiet when up rolls 7 cars full of thug looking young guys, complete with seriously loud music, sagging pants and more chains than huggy bear. they came in, walking up and down the isles, talking loud and daring anyone to say something. Some of them started banging on the windows, and shouting obscenities. The police were then called. I immediately told my then wife to get up and meet me at the cashier, we were leaving. They had crowded around the front door, and they did not move out of the way. Then when i got through them, and got to the car, i tried to back up and the good citizens proceeded to block me with their car.. I kept a cool head, and waited for them about 15 minutes to get out of the way. The police never did show up, as i drove off feeling lucky there was no confrontation. These are situations that i would have felt a lot better in being armed. I could not, and would not have pulled a weapon in these situations, unless it got clearly out of control and deadly, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it could have easily headed in that direction.
And now you know exactly why I carry a subcompact glock with two full size reloads: all of the situations I've felt screwed and in desperate need of a gun has involved a small or large group of people. I can't imagine carrying some 5 shot snub!
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 18:51   #219
Huson

My motivation for getting a CCW was living in a hurricane prone area. I thought it would be nice to legally carry in an evacuation type of situation. My decision to frequently carry was made when I went into a Winn Dixie and in the store were three different groups of thugs and none of them were connected to each other. In the store were three discrete groups of young men who looked like gangsters. This was at seven o’clock at night. A light went off in my head and after that, I usually carried after dark.
Huson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 00:04   #220
xxKylexx
No Skills

Bad Guys are Out There

I am new to this forum. I want to say "Hi" and tell you how grateful I am to have a place to read about firearms and such. Anyways, I have read all 253 posts and really enjoyed the stories. I think that I need to tell mine though.

When I was 18 I lived in a party house with 4 other friends in Muncie IN. On a usual weekend night, we had a party with kegs and probably 30 people in my house. Late in the night, a friend of mine came in all beat up. I'm talking broken nose, ribs, he just looked like hell. We tried to get as much info out of him as we could but he wouldn't talk. All he would say was he got jumped in the side of our yard by a couple of guys. An hour or so later I had 7 to 8 guys in my house brandishing handguns. They were gang members looking for my "beat up" friend. Apparently my friend was not on the losing end of his fight. Luckily a girl from our party ran out and waved down a police car (we were on BSU campus); the police showed up within minutes and the gangstas ran off after hearing all the sirens. I have never felt so helpless in my life. When it all happened I was in my kitchen with a couple of friends just chillin at the keg. One of the invaders came in the kitchen waiving his gun in our faces. We wanted to wrestle the gun out of the dude's hand and beat the living piss out of him, but we were afraid of someone getting hurt (not the gangsta). If you're wondering if we pressed charges or not, We didn't. We were all underage and with all the kegs in our house, we ran too!

Fast forward 10 years. After serving 8 years in the USAF (OEF Vet) and meeting my wife (who is also military) I was stationed in Florida at Hurlburt Field. Immediatly after Katrina I bought my Glock 19 (same reason as many others). No CCW though. Now we are stationed in New Mexico. I have been honarably discharged from the AF and now I'm a Sociology major at ENMU. So its my job to find out about society and stuff. Down to the nitty-gritty! I am going to the CCW class Mar 8&9 because in my research I found out that 1 in 166 people in my area are the victim of a violent crime. I've also talked my wife into getting an AR-15, which is perfect cause she and I already know how to field strip the weapon and shoot it effectivly. It just sucks cause if I did all of this (CCW) while still active duty, I wouldn't have to take the class; which would save me $100

Thanks for reading, you guys/gals seem like a good bunch.
xxKylexx is offline   Reply With Quote