Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2008, 18:22   #221
McLovin

Also, because I can.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 14:50   #222
coachg

I decided to carry when I finally accepted that society is going in the wrong direction and i learned that it really doesn't matter who is pretending to run the country. When the SHTF in the next few years after the economy collapses and the NAU comes online I decided I better be prepared.

In PA it's a no-brainer. Walked into the Sheriff's office. Put down $46 and within 1/2 hour was walking out with my laminated CCW.
coachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 18:55   #223
melbourneman400

I live in sunny Fl and it can be dangerous here at night.

I drive this:

Carry Issues

I don't want to be carjacked at night so I got my CCW as extra insurance that I may have a chance should I be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
melbourneman400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 15:50   #224
glockpacker
CLM Number 126
600 yd shooter

Late 90's in Virginia... Someone said, Virginia is now a shall-issue state. I said, "WHAT??" They said if you apply for a carry permit, they have to give it to you if you're clean. I drove to the courthouse and got the application.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
John Steinbeck
glockpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 19:19   #225
EAGLESFANPHILA

Reasons why I started carrying:

1. I watch the news
2. I live in the city - Philadelphia(plenty of crime to go around)
3. When I lived in a apartment complex, a woman was robbed at gunpoint.
4. I want to have the tools to defend my family and myself against a bad guy who would not hesitate to take our lives. I want to be able to respond to such a person with equal violence. I will shoot them to the ground if the opportunity presents itself.
EAGLESFANPHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 21:20   #226
RussP

Brought back for new members to post...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 01-31-2008 at 22:24..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 23:23   #227
ChukGlk19

Why CCW

I was actually robbed and then had a guy get of his car in traffic and try to beat me with it. I had had enough. I bought a Glock 19 and took the CCW.
ChukGlk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:25   #228
Glock1911
Jackson Wagoner

I don't know...

I like the idea of being able to legally carry for protection, but to me this is a form of registration, which I oppose.
I'm disabled and know that I could be an easy target for those who would do me and my loved ones harm. Perhaps I'm being delusional in fearing CCW as a form of registration. Perhaps those that would take my guns already know what kind and how many I already have, and not getting a CCW because of my resistance to a form of registration is futile.
My wife thinks that my acquisition of firearms and ammo is not warranted because we live in a rural area that is relatively devoid of crime. I disagree and will continue to acquire, possess and practice with those firearms that I own and those that I will acquire in the future for as long as I am able.
I live in a state where it is legal to "open carry" and legal to carry concealed with the ammo (mag or speed loader) removed and in separate pocket(better than a rock or knife). I've legally packed a gun for years. CCW? I don't know.

Last edited by Glock1911; 02-02-2008 at 14:14..
Glock1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 14:29   #229
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock1911 View Post
I like the idea of being able to legally carry for protection, but to me this is a form of registration, which I oppose.
I'm disabled and know that I could be an easy target for those who would do me and my loved ones harm. Perhaps I'm being delusional in fearing CCW as a form of registration. Perhaps those that would take my guns already know what kind and how many I already have, and not getting a CCW because of my resistance to a form of registration is futile.
My wife thinks that my acquisition of firearms and ammo is not warranted because we live in a rural area that is relatively devoid of crime. I disagree and will continue to acquire, possess and practice with those firearms that I own and those that I will acquire in the future for as long as I am able.
I live in a state where it is legal to "open carry" and legal to carry concealed with the ammo (mag or speed loader) removed and in separate pocket(better than a rock or knife). I've legally packed a gun for years. CCW? I don't know.
If they come to take your guns because of the "registration" you filled out, it's time to use them. Until then there's no reason to irrationally fear the government, that they'll take your guns.

Until then, at least.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 16:00   #230
Glock1911
Jackson Wagoner

I don't consider a fear of the government to be irrational.
Old 02-02-2008, 16:04   #231
RussP

This isn't the forum, and definitely not the thread to discuss the rationality of government firearms registration.

Thanks

RussP

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 21:42   #232
Glock1911
Jackson Wagoner

My sincere apologies.
Old 02-02-2008, 23:41   #233
TuppyFinn

About 15 years ago I got into a confrontation with someone who, I have reason to believe, was a cocaine addict. I decided to start carrying a .32 in my back pocket and a .45 in a range bag.

About five years ago, I was paying a cashier at a convenience store and she asked me for help. She thought the only other patron was going to rob her, and I have to admit she had good reason for believing this. I didn't think my .32 was up to the challenge so I told her I'd be right back. Sounds like Arnold doesn't it? Anyway it took a couple of minutes for me to get my .45 and holster. When I returned to the store the presumed BG had left. Since then I decided to carry something more powerful.

Last edited by TuppyFinn; 02-05-2008 at 13:08..
TuppyFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 15:56   #234
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
I decided to carry when I finally accepted that society is going in the wrong direction and i learned that it really doesn't matter who is pretending to run the country. When the SHTF in the next few years after the economy collapses and the NAU comes online I decided I better be prepared.

In PA it's a no-brainer. Walked into the Sheriff's office. Put down $46 and within 1/2 hour was walking out with my laminated CCW.
Laminated? Laminated?!!?
All I got from PA was a small piece of paper with my photograph scotch taped to it and my particulars on it. Looks more like a coat check stub than anything else. Guess they are laminating them now... mine is about a year old and I love PA and its AG... a guy with bazongas. Still, Phily can be some scarey place especially after dark.

All I want for Christmas now is a nationwide recognized reciprocity law. You got a PA CCW license? Good in ALL states of the union, like your driver's license. Make sense?

And to the fellow posting about the .32? First, I would be very careful about getting in the way of someone who might be having a domestic and I would be very careful about "brandishing". However, you have the right idea about guns for self defense... come big or don't come at all. I carry 9mm at a bare minimum but much prefer to carry a .45 with at least 8 - 10 rounds of fast, light JHP. And the fact is that I do unless circumstances dictate otherwise... it depends on my dress code for the moment; my cover garment really dictates what I carry. If I am wearing a jacket I will be carrying a .45 for sure. Otherwise it's a 9mm with Gold Dots or Federal Hydra Shock Law Enforcement Self Defense whatever. The best possible tools for the job always. And leave the policing to the police if possible.... it is a tough call but training is a big help. Plenty of training. Don't get yourself in the middle of something that is not what you think it is.... and if you do happen to get yourself in the middle of something, be trained. At the very least do you know the best ways to avoid taking a hit yourself? Always move sideways if possible. Always increase distance if possible. Always play for cover if possible. The BG's plans get all messed up. Just don't let a lucky shot take off the top of your head like my friend's dad did some 45 years ago by a prominent local bandit. He had the drop on the BG but was a nice guy and hollered something at him... like "stop or I'll shoot". The BG swung around, shooting from the hip and planted a big one right between his eyes taking the top of his skull right off. It landed two stories up on the balcony of an apartment building that ANOTHER friend lived in. You cannot make sXXt like this up. I was about ten years old at the time. I was playing in the park across the street when it all took place in an otherwise quiet uneventful neighborhood. There has not been a shooting in the neighborhood since with the exception of a fellow who shot his wife in a domestic about 30 years ago. Nuff said here. Sorry to babble along. Mr. Blanc, BTW, did not carry a gun. He was in the bank manager's office and bank managers at that time all had revolvers .38/.357's. He didn't stand a chance at that range. The "Beatle Bandit" was using a sawed off something.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 15:58   #235
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuppyFinn View Post
About 15 years ago I got into a confrontation with someone, whom I have reason to believe, was a cocaine addict. I decided to start carrying a .32 in my back pocket and a .45 in a range bag.

About five years ago, I was paying a cashier at a convenience store and she asked me for help. She thought the only other patron was going to rob her, and I have to admit she had good reason for believing this. I didn't think my .32 was up to the challenge so I told her I'd be right back. Sounds like Arnold doesn't it? Anyway it took a couple of minutes for me to get my .45 and holster. When I returned to the store the presumed BG had left. Since then I decided to carry something more powerful.
.32's are now prohibited weapons in Canada. Too many guys getting shot full of holes while trying to stop BGs? Nope. The government just decided they were bad guns.... now they are registering all firearms in the country. Wonder what could be next? England. Australia. So glad I am Yankee and 4-5 years from retirement back to the south. \

SAVE YOUR DIXIE CUPS FOR THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 21:33   #236
b_vanfossen

Growing up my mother went through many hard times that remind me to carry.

She was held hostage by two armed robbers in Kmart.

My parents owned a small business here in sunny S. Florida that was robbed three times. She was robbed by gun point twice and once beaten with a metal bar.

My parents home had been robbed 4 times. 3 times in one location (one time we came home in the act and she restled with one of the three robbers trying to escape) and 1 time in another home years later where they pepper sprayed the trained dog in the house.

I also remember reading somewhere that pointed out that on the news you never hear the crimes police prevented. Instead every night you hear about all the crimes that have happened throught day.

Be safe
b_vanfossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 22:35   #237
lastevolution
"Senior" Member

I'm not stupid. I can see what happens out in the world. Do no want to be a victim.
Old 02-08-2008, 15:12   #238
I Scuba 2

I decided to carry because of all your stories of being robbed, mugged, almost rapped (or seeing someone almost rapped) and I decided that I don't want a story like that to convince myself or others to carry. You all are not that different from me.
Old 02-10-2008, 14:55   #239
Piolin
DIRTY KUFFAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockanatorrrrr View Post
Actually that is the best idea. This way the shattering of the glass won't be as bad.

never mind...

Liberalism is the quest for a life without guilt and conservatism is the quest for a life without fear. We all act accordingly. Pro Deo Et Patria.

Last edited by Piolin; 02-10-2008 at 17:44..
Piolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 16:46   #240
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
Well, think again, you can put your handgun out of battery...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe they don't know if your slide or barrel gets pressed backwards a bit, your gun no boom.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote