Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2007, 14:10   #121
Uzi4U
NRA Life Member

I witnessed a murder in 1975, three blocks from a police station. To make a very long story short, if CCW had been legal at that time, I, or someone else, may have prevented it.
Uzi4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 14:23   #122
Guod

Probably me defining moment was seeing a murder in the street, and just how fast things can happen. I was not of age at that point to own a gun, but it stuck with me for, well, to this day. It was nothing I could have prevented given my position to the shooting even if I had a gun it all happened so fast, plus there was no CCW at the time, but it was a reminder that you always need to be prepared.

Even after I came of age, I didn't own a gun for many years as a bachelor. My defining moment was when I started seriously dating and realized I now bore some responsibility for another person, that is when I purchased my first gun.
Guod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 23:14   #123
GLOCKBOZO

I was in a gun store with my Dad , buying my first CCW gun, an S&W 36. 2 guys came in, one wearing a heavy army jacket, drinking a beer.They circled the store, coming right up to me looking at my gun, then they left. I left with my father, not saying a word. When we got in the car, he said "I thought they were going to rob the store". I knew it wasn't all in my mind. The thought of how helpless you are without a gun was obvious to me. I carry whenever I can.
GLOCKBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 23:54   #124
xlntech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG View Post
Oregon - Pacific NW.

Plenty of poeple carry up here, almost a given, but I still haven't heard of a mugging, car jacking, ...a few home invasions, but they were druggies on druggies....

Low crime. Hey if you want to live in a high crime place, your choice, don't ***** about it.
Low crime ? Have you seen Oregon Crime Rates ?

2006: 6403 agravated assaults, 1195 forcible rapes, 86 murders, 10373 violent crimes and the list goes on and on ...

Here's the link:

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/orcrime.htm
xlntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:10   #125
Renny
"Don't pick me"

Quote:
Has your heart rate increased just from imagining the scenario?
Yeah. I'm afraid I'll botch it and have this terrible shot grouping when the local PD arrives and I'll be embarrassed.

Quote:
Are you going to be able to point and shoot in an instant or are your hands going to be shaking.
Of course my hands will be shaking. That's why I have a 30-rd magazine, night sights, solid cover for support, and a bottle of mineral water. Can't be too careful, you know.

Quote:
Perhaps you are frozen in fear and unable to even reach for your gun.
Me? Not likely. The only thing I'd be frozen in would be indecision: "Lemme see...Glock? Colt? Hmmm...Remington!"

Not all of us who shake when the adrenaline hits us are in fear.

Moving right along.

Quote:
Talk to cops, the only real, uninterpreted way to carry a gun in your car, going to the range, ect, is to have a CCW. Forget what you heard, in a paper bag, in the trunk unloaded, on the dash, exposed on your hip...
The truth of this statement greatly depends upon the state in which you live. Instead of listening to hearsay, even from well-meaning LEO's, I know the law. It seems to help.

Quote:
Walk down the street with a gun on your hip, except in some podunk town in AZ and the cops will show up, at gunpoint.
Downtown Phoenix is Podunk? I did exactly that in 2003 with a G17 in a factory Glock Sport/Combat holster, went into a restaurant and bought breakfast, walked down the street, went about my daily activities...it was the first time I'd carried openly not in uniform since 1999...and still it felt a little weird. No one stopped me, no one called the law, and no LEO's questioned me.

Guess Phoenix is podunk, then.

Quote:
A CCW allows you to carry and not be branded someone who is concealing a gun illegaly, it's $50 worth of insurance.
It's a lot more than that. First off, in my State, when I first got my CCW after moving from the PRK, and having been a licensed, armed security officer there only to be robbed at gunpoint while off duty, I pondered the stupidity of having been trained to carry a gun to protect property and my clients, but not being allowed to do it myself. I've never fully understood this: You can hire people to carry guns to protect you, or you can be licensed to protect OTHER people and their property, but you can't carry a gun to protect yourself...wait, what? One of my reasons for deciding to move TO Florida was because back then, it was one of the first "Shall Issue" carry states, and even so, it took me 3 years to finally get the license. But once I got it, I've kept it ever since.

Back then, it was 167 dollars, good for 3 years, no background call in for purchases, over the counter purchases with no waiting period. That, and carrying a concealed firearm is a FELONY in Florida. So a permit to me was 1) Being able to cash & carry my gun like an honest citizen, not a cowed subject; and 2) The ability to carry self-defense without making myself a felon.

A few years later, some changes in the law came. The price was REDUCED from 167 to 117, the duration of the permit was extended from three years to FIVE, but now all firearms purchases, even with a permit, require a background check. However, State Law states clearly that permit holders are STILL exempt from waiting periods. If for no other reason that that, I'd have a FL CCW.

Quote:
I never carry a gun, but I drive to the range, gun stores afterworld with the gun in a bag, in my car, that's considered concealed by many.
I don't care what "many" consider to be concealed; Only what 790 Florida Statutes defines as Concealed. I take my cues directly from the law, my attorney, and my firearms instructors; No one else.

Quote:
IMHO, having a CCW for all practical purposes is the only way to transport a gun without any issues.
On this we agree.

Quote:
If I need to have a gun where I live, then it's time to move, not safe for me, or family. If I need it for work, then I made that decision to carry.
Here's where we disagree. I decided as I grew older that I was not going to let the criminal element dictate my freedoms. My firearm merely provides another tool for self-protection while I exercise my other rights.

Quote:
If you get into a shooting, then having a CCW means you were atleast checked out, and you went through a class, that means you have some reasonable sense of training and that your somewhat upstanding, that helps you.
And what helps you even more is if your CCW instructor was worth half a rat's butt and went over the law with you. More than that is knowing the law yourself. Even more than that is having an attorney on retainer with whom you have discussed these things and actually act upon his advice so that he may defend you effectively in court should the worst occur.

Of course, should the worst occur, hitting ONLY what you're aiming at does a lot in decreasing liability as well.

I've given this some thought, too.

We all have our opinions. This one is mine.

R
Old 12-02-2007, 04:41   #126
Torontogunguy

1. Home Invasion when I was 16 - successful entry by BG's. They were high and armed with knives.
2. Unsuccessful Home Invasion this past year now that I have a family of my own. The BG's were so high it took them five minutes at our front door trying to pry in before the police arrived and took them down at gunpoint. Had they come in they would have been taken out with my shotgun at this point (I had time to retrieve and load it).
3. Gun stuck in my nose in Orlando Florida because the drunk driver behind me did not like the way I was driving and was generally pissed at rush hour traffic and Canadian tourist 'glut' (I am both Canadian and American).

I have been called up for jury duty and will report and do my duty as required. But I will be in a position to protect my family as best I am able to at home. The gun laws in Canada are strict and I will obey them. But also take advantage of them to the best of my ability.

With all of the shootings, carjackings and other nonsense going on around here the police are no longer able to provide protection as they used to. One must be in a position to protect themselves. It is our intention to move back to the states once the kids enter university (we are hoping US Universities so that they can also protect THEMSELVES if not living at home). We will carry 24/7 and in fact, I DO INDEED carry 24/7 when possible stateside. It makes me feel much more warm and fuzzy knowing that my 55 year old failing body can protect itself and its loved ones. I have arthritis and can barely walk after a half hour drive in the car until I get limbered up. No way could I protect myself against a 20 year old. Handguns are the great equalizer or as Jeff Cooper would say... (and I paraphrase with apologies)....." Handguns makes us all gentlemen".

Oh yes, then there's the road ragers. Jeez. Almost forgot. We're in four lanes of traffic. Bumper to bumper. There's a pickup coming up on us from behind. How? Easy. He's honking and running the cars in front and beside him off the road and into the ditch. Now he's behind me. What do I do? Easy. I signal and pull over onto the shoulder to let him pass. By exactly one car. The shoulder's clear... if it's an emergency he could have driven the shoulder all the way downtown, but it's nothing to do with that. It's everything to do with HE wants the road to himself. That was two years ago. TEN years ago I had the same thing happen except that the idiot actually bumped my rear bumper and pushed my off the road. Called the police and when they came, I had followed this SOB and called them on my carphone... they stopped both of us and charged him with failing to remain at the scene of an accident. And because I had left the scene as well and followed him? They charged ME with failing to remain as well.

What would YOU have done if armed? I figure I would have done nothing different with the road rage incidents except that I would have felt much better if the BG's had pulled out a gun to take a potshot (like they did just the other day in Toronto and shot out the windows of a cabbie scaring the tar out of him). I would never use lethal force in the protection of property; but if a life were threatened I would have little hesitation in putting the BG down; that is to say, shooting until the assault terminated. Period.

The civilized world is becoming an increasingly dangerous place to live in. We are surrounded by crazies and those that would take our life or health without a thought. It is THOSE perps that we need protection against as the police are no longer able to do it for us and admit as much. They are quick to blame the handguns in honest citizens' hands as the problem. Well, how about giving us all handguns and seeing where the crime rate goes? Statistics say that it will drop by about ten percent per year to a cumulative total drop of somewhere between 35 and 50 percent after ten years. Government supplied statistics... check out your local crime stats site.

Why did I get a gun and why do I want to carry a gun? Simple. Protection. Why do I wish to own guns? Simple. The aforementioned as well as the sport of target shooting and so on. Good guys with guns are still good guys. It's the bad guys with guns that we need to deal with.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:23   #127
menmyglock

Living in good old IL, we can't carry legally, so what are some of your opinions about carrying anyways. Do it or not????????????
menmyglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 13:05   #128
Troubleshooter

It was about 4 or 5 years prior to Michigan becoming a Shall issue state.

I already owned a Handgun but did not carry because it was not allowed.

I took a friend to Kalamazoo one night in the early spring. It was the first warm evening. I was not familiar with the area. It was Westnage Ave. we were driving down. I'll describe it as going through a Gauntlet. There were dozens of Thug types lining both sides of the street. They were throwing things at the passing cars. I had a 2x4 bounce off of my truck top. It could have easily went through my window causing severe injury to me or my friend. by the time we were driving through there was a lot of debris in the road. Could have easily caused a flat tire disabling my truck. I just hit the gas and got out of there as fast as I could. Of course I was completely unarmed.

The real kicker was a couple of miles we saw a Police car. I guess they call there officers "Public safety officers" Anyway It was a female officer and when we informed her the response I got was somewhat shocking. She said.... We know about it... We are waiting for it to settle down because it is too dangerous for us to go there right now...

WTF .... I then realized my safety was my responsibility and I now consider most "law enforcement officers" as report takers....
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 13:09   #129
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmyglock View Post
Living in good old IL, we can't carry legally, so what are some of your opinions about carrying anyways. Do it or not????????????
It is against Glock Talk TOS/rules to discuss illegal activities.

Move.

Carry pepper spray.

Carry a good flashlight.

Carry a legal knife/knives.

Carry a gun in your car, unloaded, in a zipped case with a loaded magazine next to the gun. It is legal, just watch out for the local laws. Esp around Chicago.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 13:52   #130
Thorazine

Send a message via AIM to Thorazine
Quote:
Defining Moments - What made YOU decide to CCW?
Multiple reasons:

1) Why leave such wonderful firearms at home by their lonesome?
2) Blah waiting period.
3) A new accessory (holster) to add to my outfit choices.
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 16:36   #131
RHVEtte

Talk to cops, the only real, uninterpreted way to carry a gun in your car, going to the range, ect, is to have a CCW. Forget what you heard, in a paper bag, in the trunk unloaded, on the dash, exposed on your hip...
That's why I got my CCW. I asked ten different people (5 LEOs) and got 10 different answers. So, I said screw it, got the CCW, now they can't screw with me for having a gun in the car. BTW, I don't have a problem with cops, it's just my luck that the cop that pulls me over has an ego problem and knows some BS 50 year old clause that ends with me being totally screwed.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 16:39   #132
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHVEtte View Post
That's why I got my CCW. I asked ten different people (5 LEOs) and got 10 different answers. So, I said screw it, got the CCW, now they can't screw with me for having a gun in the car. BTW, I don't have a problem with cops, it's just my luck that the cop that pulls me over has an ego problem and knows some BS 50 year old clause that ends with me being totally screwed.
For anybody that worried about it who can't legally carry:

Unloaded gun in locked container, such as a www.center-of-mass.com safe.

Ammunition separate from gun.

If applicable, in trunk of car.

Legaly in any jurisdiction you can legally possess the gun in question.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 20:35   #133
latin glocker
Que Pasa ?

When I was a young teen living at home, 2 bad guys tried to break into our house, luckily we lived on a very busy street, they moved on after about 5-6 min of pounding and kicking at our front door. They were arrested 30 min later on the street behind us and were later charged with several B&Es.

I'm now 39 and have a family of my own. About 4 months ago, it was a hot night, my wife wanted one of our bedroom windows open, I opened it up about half way, turned on the fan and we both went to bed. In the morning, when I woke up, I noticed that the screen to the window was raised up half way. I thought this was strange and called my wife, she said that when she got up, she found our cat,which is an indoor cat, in our screen room in the back of the house. So the cat had jumped out the open window. The screen was closed when I opened the window.

I then went outside to check things out and found that my 15yr old daughters screen was raised up as well, luckily her windows were closed and locked. 3 weeks later I purchased my first handgun, a Glock 17, I will be taking my CCW class on Dec. 15th. I've been hitting this website hard for weeks, learning as much as I can in order to protect my family, and myself.
latin glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 13:00   #134
Thx-1138
NRA Member

A few years ago, while I was on my morning walk, I was accosted by two dogs. One of them was a stray; the other was a neighbor's dog that had obviously gotten out. I'm never too worried about a single dog - you can usually stare it down or order it away. But with multiples, the entire equation changes. I tried staring them down and giving orders, then when that didn't do anything, I slowly backed away from them down the street toward my house. When they split up and started circling me in opposite directions, I knew I was in serious trouble. I called my wife to come get me, then called 911. I was maybe 800 feet from my front door, in a good neighborhood, in one of the safest cities in the United States, in broad daylight. And in fear for my life. I never felt so stupid reaching for a cell phone. It seemed to take forever for my wife to get out of the house, into the car, and scare them off and pick me up. It was at least another 20 minutes for the 911 call to generate any response.

It was this experience that taught me that you should always be prepared for the worst thing to happen, no matter where you are. It also reinforced the fact that the police will not get there in time to save you.

Bull Dawgs: #1138; Carolina Glockers: #1138
Socialism: Legalized theft supported by those who divide the spoils, and opposed by those who are robbed.
Thx-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 21:04   #135
CognitiveDissonance

After VA Tech, I decided to get a CPL but didn't actually DO IT until a couple months ago. Two guys at a gun show told me to get it before they get rid of the CPL laws in WA state, so that finally pushed me to get it done. Got the CPL in 3 weeks and have been carrying since.

I know I'm "probably" never going to need it where I live. 99% white small town area, BUT there are tweekers around these parts who rob homes, etc. I haven't heard of home invasions, but that doesn't mean they haven't happened here. Since I'm on a VERY rural country road on 5 acres, I take home protection very seriously.
CognitiveDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 22:05   #136
98_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmyglock View Post
Do what I did, and move away from Illinois. You will not regret it. Actually on many levels, leaving Illinois was the absolute best thing I ever did, and that is not taking into consideration firearms at all.

Move, but if you stay, I would never encourage you to carry illegally. If you actually have to use your concealed gun to defend yourself, the cops might shoot you out of confusion since they are not expecting anyone to be armed but them and the bad guys. That and felonies are bad, real bad. Responsible gun owners are what it takes to maintain the freedoms some of us enjoy.

Did I forget to mention you need to move?

Later,
Chuck

P.S. Move
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 20:37   #137
Dean

A friend wrote:
After VA Tech, I decided to get a CPL but didn't actually DO IT until a couple months ago. Two guys at a gun show told me to get it before they get rid of the CPL laws in WA state I know I'm "probably" never going to need it where I live. 99% white small town area, BUT there are tweekers around these parts who rob homes, etc. I haven't heard of home invasions, but that doesn't mean they haven't happened here. Since I'm on a VERY rural country road on 5 acres, I take home protection very seriously.

WASHINGTON STATE - in RURAL AREAS - and you think you'll never need a weapon!?I know of a home invasion in WA in which three burly men in military fatigues came in strong and shot the homeowner in the back on his front lawn, killing him as he tried to flee. WASHINGTON STATE is thinking of "getting rid" of concealed carry? Good grief!
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 22:14   #138
Line Rider

My father ran a auto salvage business for 50 years. When I was a kid I remember the guys who worked for him. Most of them had done time in the county jail and several had done hard time in the state prison. Dad was robbed and beaten more than once back in the 60's and 70's. Today he would have been killed. My dad was physically a very strong man. He didn't like guns, because of the killing he had seen during his two tours of duty in Korean War. He had beaten serveral of his attackers off, some he didn't but he survived.

As a little boy my heros like all little boys were police officers and Batman. They fought crime and put the bad guys away. I wanted to be like them. So, now I have a Batbelt a black and white car and put bad guy and gals in jail. Just wished I had arms and a stomach like Batman.

Last edited by Line Rider; 02-25-2010 at 22:27..
Line Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:49   #139
abq87120

Read the paper. Watch the evening local news. Not much of a choice, lol.
abq87120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 20:18   #140
Greg.B

I'm waiting for my Indiana LTCH to come in the mail, and I just recently purchased my first handgun, a Glock 17.

I'm 38, so why did it take me so long to realize that I can, and I should, in order to protect myself, my family, and my rights?

I don't know why, but it just hit me one day last month. Maybe it's all of the things going on like the mall shootings, college shootings, etc. But I've made the decision, and I think I'm headed in the right direction, just a little late!
Greg.B is offline   Reply With Quote