SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2007, 17:10   #41
grishnav

Quote:
Originally posted by Patronus
Will someone please confirm that this video is staged? Regardless, it isn't funny.
Yep, it's staged. If you go to the website in the upper-right corner of the video, it states that they had the idea, and set it up after about 10 minutes of planning.

And all I kept thinking when I was watching it was about all the opportunities he had to run/call the police. But come on, it was still pretty funny!
grishnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 19:57   #42
EddieMossberg

I was robbed at gunpoint at work. Pretty scary stuff, I actually had to have a seat afterwards because I almost fainted. Luckily nobody was hurt. This experience sparked my interest in firearms. Though these kind of situations are probably rare, I feel better having a gun at my side. A CCW gives everday good people a figthing chance when otherwise left at a criminals mercy. It's a great right to have indeed.
Old 09-01-2007, 20:09   #43
Creeper1313
Aequitas

I didn't really have any defining moment, I just always liked 1911's so I bought one when I turned 21 and got my CCW.

I guess watching cop shows like "Law & Order" might have had something do with it. Almost every Law & Order episode starts with someone finding a dead body... not with police showing up to stop a crime in progress.

I figure when the police are drawing chalk outlines and flagging brass casings... I rather be the one whose brass they are flagging rather than the one getting the chalk outline.
Creeper1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 21:07   #44
rmc85

I did because it seems about every 2 years someone commits a bad crime when I'm right there...

bad luck I guess
Old 09-01-2007, 22:25   #45
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally posted by grishnav
Yep, it's staged. If you go to the website in the upper-right corner of the video, it states that they had the idea, and set it up after about 10 minutes of planning.

And all I kept thinking when I was watching it was about all the opportunities he had to run/call the police. But come on, it was still pretty funny!
I guess it would've helped to read the description of the video. My bad.

But still, it wasn't very funny. Apparently, I'm not the only one who didn't read the description, because a lot of people thought it was real.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:31   #46
DepStocky

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieMossberg
I was robbed at gunpoint at work. Pretty scary stuff, I actually had to have a seat afterwards because I almost fainted. Luckily nobody was hurt. This experience sparked my interest in firearms. Though these kind of situations are probably rare, I feel better having a gun at my side. A CCW gives everday good people a figthing chance when otherwise left at a criminals mercy. It's a great right to have indeed.
Damn right! The scary part is the citizens that get a CCW and never practice after that...
Old 09-01-2007, 23:42   #47
Cousin
Gambel's Quail

My right to privacy, my eligibility for CCW and being discreet, i.e. my customers may not feel comfortable if they knew I carried a gun. And there's no benefit for me in testing those waters with them.
Old 09-01-2007, 23:56   #48
TheKnight

Quote:
Originally posted by DepStocky
Damn right! The scary part is the citizens that get a CCW and never practice after that...
I agree with you 100%, I always try to encourage people who have choosen to arm themselves, either CCW or for home defense, that thier responsabilty didn't end with the purchase, or certificate. And that being a responsable gun owner means taking the time to train on a consistant basis.
TheKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 00:08   #49
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally posted by grishnav

I couldn't find where they told about the staged planning on that web site. Either way, there were plenty of mongrel idiots that were lapping it up like it was the coolest thing, according to the comments I read on YouTube. If some of those morons are watching the video and making it their "defining moment" for CCW, then it gets un-funny real fast.

No flame intended, grishnav. Just sounding off...again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 00:23   #50
MusingDaddy

Katrina
MusingDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:04   #51
oneofthose

No real defining moment, happened over time.

About 12 years ago, I was awakened to someone trying to break into the house. I loaded up a shotgun and would likely would have shot him if he made it through the window before the police got there.

Also, sold a guy an old car once, and he later called saying it broke down on him, and that I owed him something. I offered to pay for parts, he wanted cash, so I began to suspect a different need for the money (based on other details I won't get into). He claimed to have some "connections", and that I would be getting a visit from them. Scared the hell out of me. Again, felt much better with a shotgun in the house.

These and other smaller incidents got me thinking more seriously about personal protection, self defense training, etc., but I never considered CCW an option. I somehow got the impression that this privelege was reserved for others with a greater need. Man, I was blind.

I eventually moved, and had to find a new barber. Turned out he also had an FFL, and we discussed hunting, firearms, etc. Eventually a discussion of CCW came up. I leared from him that all I had to do was apply with the local Sheriff and take his class. I learned our Sheriff was very much in favor of a responsibly armed citizen. Totally changed my outlook. I received my permit in April of this year. I joined a club with a private indoor range about 45 minutes away where I can practice. I've read books on the issue and became an NRA member. I've also learned that many good people in this state (Iowa is "may issue") do not enjoy the privilege of the 2A, simply because their local Sheriff does not want them armed.

Needless to say, I've become very interested in the political side of things, and much more aware of how our personal freedoms have been eroded. Too many men have died to obtain and preserve our freedom for me to just sit around and watch them slip away.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Once I got started I just couldn't stop.
Old 09-02-2007, 14:13   #52
ArodJohns

As others have said, there was no real defining moment.

One moment was when a neighbor tried to break into my parent's and I's home when I was just a little boy and having that feeling of helplessness.

Another moment was watching a video of individuals beat a truck driver into senselessness with a fire extinguisher in sociology in highschool. (This one is probably the closest to the defining moment. I watched that and kept thinking "If I was there, I could've helped him. Maybe I'd get hurt, but I'd still be helping him." I guess you'd say that's also when the seeds of wanting to be a cop were sewn.)

Another moment was working at the police department and while at the grocery store in my off hours having a guy come up and try to pick a fight with me because I was the one he gave the money to when he paid his ticket (I was a dispatcher and accepted money for fines for the court).

I already had a pistol when that last ordeal happened, but I came home after that and searched the internet until I found CCW classes fairly close to home.
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 14:14   #53
grishnav

Quote:
Originally posted by Patronus
I couldn't find where they told about the staged planning on that web site.
In the upper-right corner of the video itself is a small text-box with the text "wittkopp.net". Browse to http://wittkopp.net/ for the (brief) discussion.

Quote:
Either way, there were plenty of mongrel idiots that were lapping it up like it was the coolest thing, according to the comments I read on YouTube. If some of those morons are watching the video and making it their "defining moment" for CCW, then it gets un-funny real fast.
I would venture to guess that all of the idiots on youtube have never handled a gun and aren't licensed (if applicable) to carry. Most of them are in there early teens, and still have many years ahead of being stupid and irresponsible (likely, largely before they can legally purchase a firearm). They are also likely the vocal minority: After all, did you post a comment saying what happened was inappropriate, irresponsible, and criminal? I know I didn't...

Once you actually do choose to take on the responsibility of owning (and carrying) a firearm, the gravity of it becomes much more intense, and your outlook tends to change. Often rapidly.

The other small percentage are either irresponsible or criminal (or both), and this video isn't going to inspire them to do something stupid/criminal they wouldn't have eventually ended up doing anyway.

It's good that your sense of responsible ownership compels you to react so strongly, but suspend it for a moment (just like you would for a big Hollywood movie in a theater), and it's actually pretty funny. Well, according to my sense of humor, anyway. We all have different tastes.

Quote:
No flame intended, grishnav. Just sounding off...again.
It's all good.

Last edited by grishnav; 09-02-2007 at 14:21..
grishnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 16:01   #54
J.P.
Intergalactic

I decided to carry because of rival drug dealers.
That was a long time ago.
Old 09-02-2007, 17:54   #55
Riz58

I was living in Texas at the time of the Luby's massacre in Kileen.

Later as a result of my business, I was concerned over implied threats by others. (Concealed carry was not legal then.)

As time went on, family came, and a growing sense of the need to assume the responsibility for one's self-defense led to support of NM's CCW efforts.

Again, a really ugly business dispute on behalf of a client, lead to more veiled threates by one party who had a history of violence.

So a sense of the obligation to provide my own defense, along with life offering a few hints I should, led to my obtaining a CCW shortly after it became legal.

In self-defense there are three things you cannot use: skills you have not developed, a gun you do not have with you, and ammo that is still in the box.
Riz58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 20:02   #56
RiverVan
FREEDOM

Off topic
However, have you considered buying a used Glock? CDNN has used 17, 19, 21, 22, and 23's very reasonably priced. Frequently with night sights! The used is uaually just as good as new, they rarely have more then a few thousand rounds through them, and knowing some cops I would say many have less than a thousand rounds total. Big savings for a gun almost equal. (4 of my Glocks are used).
The savings can go into good carry leather or extra magazines.
Old 09-02-2007, 20:05   #57
mortpes

My Dad was killed in a burglery when I was young. I have always CCW. The general trends in the last 20 years have only solidified my resolve.
mortpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 21:22   #58
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

Quote:
Originally posted by RiverVan
Off topic
However, have you considered buying a used Glock? CDNN has used 17, 19, 21, 22, and 23's very reasonably priced. Frequently with night sights! The used is uaually just as good as new, they rarely have more then a few thousand rounds through them, and knowing some cops I would say many have less than a thousand rounds total. Big savings for a gun almost equal. (4 of my Glocks are used).
The savings can go into good carry leather or extra magazines.
One thing to realize is that the N/S will probably be pretty dim. Don't buy them solely on them having N/S at a good price.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 21:28   #59
RiverVan
FREEDOM

Quote:
Originally posted by Usingmyrights
One thing to realize is that the N/S will probably be pretty dim. Don't buy them solely on them having N/S at a good price.
Not necessarily true. One of my glocks was a 1992 manufacture. Its sights are dim but still working at a servicable level of brightness in 2007. I have had it sine 1998.
Old 09-02-2007, 21:31   #60
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

Quote:
Originally posted by RiverVan
Not necessarily true. One of my glocks was a 1992 manufacture. Its sights are dim but still working at a servicable level of brightness in 2007. I have had it sine 1998.
I don't know what servicable is to you, but I was simply saying that the buy shouldn't be surprized if they are. I think that 15 years for "servicable" brightness is pretty uncommon.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote