Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2007, 22:04   #1
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Defining Moment(s) that led to your decision to CCW

Quote:
[Edit on 12/09/2010]: I requested a change to the thread's name, and I've decided to add something to this OP to better clarify the thread's intent.

There are dozens of threads, if not hundreds, with the subject "Why I/you/we CCW"...which is why I started this thread in the first place: to ask specifically about "Defining Moments" that you may have had, which led you to the decision to CCW. I haven't kept track of exact numbers, but a considerable portion of the posts -- particularly those more recent -- have been along the lines of "I CCW because..." which doesn't fit the thread's intent.

I'm not trying to play Moderator here, nor am I criticizing those who've posted "Why I Carry" responses to this thread; I'm simply wanting to remind folks that this thread is meant to be different from those "Why I Carry" threads.

Thanks

[End of 12/09/2010 Edit]
I want to briefly describe two incidents that led me to the decision to carry a firearm for self-defense. And if YOU had a defining moment--or numerous ones--that led to your CCW decision, then I think it would be interesting to read about them.

My story isn't very exciting, but I do hope you'll share your "defining moment(s)" with your fellow GT'ers.

Brief Background
I grew up in a family that only occasionally hunted. My dad had a .22LR rifle and a bolt-action .30-06 for large game. As for "incidents," I'd witnessed a few road-rage episodes and the like, but no weapons were ever involved and no deadly threats--perhaps one possible threat of serious bodily harm at age 15 (road rage).

Defining Moment
It was around October of 2002. My wife and I were talking about starting a family, and my mind was occupied by the responsibilities of a husband and future father. One morning I was listening to a local radio talk show (Bob Lonsberry -- www.lonsberry.com) and he was talking about CCW (he's a CCW'er and a vocal advocate for it), and he urged his audience to read a column he'd written regarding CCW entitled "This is Why I Carry a Gun." (He wrote two versions: one version for a general audience and another version for Guns & Ammo.)

I read both articles, and it was as if lightning had struck me. Paternal instinct? Maybe so.

The Decision
Long story short, from late 2002 till early 2003 I conducted my own crash course in firearms (handguns mostly) and CCW -- did so via the Internet, books, magazines, friends, etc. I'd handled Glocks in the gun shops and took a particular liking to the Glock 19, but budget constraints forced me to settle for a Kel-Tec P-11, which I eventually purchased in early summer of 2004 and could legally carry concealed one month later, UT permit in hand. (I eventually purchased a G19 and subsequently sold the P-11.)

Like I said, it's not that exciting a story.

Anyway, I hope you'll chime in and tell us about your Defining Moment(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Wasatch; 12-09-2010 at 23:57..
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 22:09   #2
geminicricket
NRA Life member

I decided to CCW with a license,
to buy a handgun to do so,
precisely because I expected Al Gore to be elected in 2000,
and needed to have something to be taken from my cold, dead hands when he did as he had promised to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 22:25   #3
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally posted by geminicricket
I decided to CCW with a license,
to buy a handgun to do so,
precisely because I expected Al Gore to be elected in 2000,
and needed to have something to be taken from my cold, dead hands when he did as he had promised to do.
On a similar note, I'll be buying at least 4 full-cap G19 magazines next time I hear the Left beating the drum for another AWB.

Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 00:27   #4
mike1969
NRA&GOA

I was robbed at gunpoint of a rifle at my place of employment on July 26 2003, and almost again on October 18, 2003. That was the wakeup. I thought I was going to have actually use a gun to defend myself against a car-jacking in 2005, they guy grabbed the door handle at a gas station after I decided I wanted a coca-cola. I know he saw the glock, because after I yelled he didnt want my truck, he turnt tail and ran off. The barrel of the glock was pressed against the glass.

And one more incident years ago, some punks in a car pointed a revolver out the window of a white hyundai. I wish I had a gun then, because know when I think back about that incident the police where called and it took them almost an hour to respond. And I remember the retarded-ass manager coming out asking why in the hell did I drive like a maniac and almost take out 2 of the gas pumps. He said he was going to call the cops and I had to leave. I told his sorry behind he would drive like a maniac if someone pointed a gun at him, and maybe he should call the cops. He did and when they got there, they stayed for 30 seconds, and no report. Low and behold a few months later, I saw the same car with the same 4 guys.

Do you know the fear of looking down the barrel of a rifle pointed at you, not knowing if that moment in time is the last?? If the thug decides to be a heartless asshat and shoots you for your last 15 dollars.?? It sucks, and I refuse to be a victim again. Im not saying Im gung-ho and am looking for an excuse to just shoot someone. Its far from that, but if I have to defend myself, I will.
And the crime that happens on a daily basis, is another reason.

Many, many, many glocktalkers have had a similiar experience and dont wish to selected to be a victim again. And those that havent, dont want to be the next one.
mike1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 00:44   #5
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Lots of small reasons:
1. Coming home from the army from the West Bank in uniform and unarmed.
2. Security Nazis searching unarmed people at entrances of malls, public transport stations, etc.
3. Low capacity and stopping power of police pistols available to reserve LEOs.
4. General threat of criminal activity.
5. A gentleman should always carry a loaded gun.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:36   #6
Kodiakk

My defining moment to carry a gun was probally when I was born a red blooded American.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:23   #7
DepStocky

I carry when I'm off-duty due to working with Felons daily, and some will hold grudges. Were not required to carry off-duty but it is encouraged.

God Bless America
DepStocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:27   #8
akgunnut

Last April (2006), I nearly became a stabbing victim in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and that was my wakeup call that I am responsible for my own safety and well being.

I strongly believe in the right to self defense, and the fact that the cops can't protect you all the time. Another thing I believe in is that criminals don't only hang around the dirtier parts of town, some of the more "safer" places can be prime targets for bad guys, so I'm always armed at all waking hours.
akgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:32   #9
aquanomics

I was called up for jury duty in 2006. The defense (public defenders) were arguing self defense and asked the entire pool -- about 60 of us -- if we ever had to defend ourselves. At least half of the pool raised their hands. The next couple of hours were filled with stories about home invasions, car jackings, assaults, rapes, etc... It blew me away. I wasn't picked for the jury, the defendant got 20 to life, my wife and I got our CCWs ASAP, we bought a bunch of Glocks and a 12 guage and we shoot twice a week.
aquanomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:34   #10
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Quote:
Originally posted by aquanomics
I was called up for jury duty in 2006. The defense (public defenders) were arguing self defense and asked the entire pool -- about 60 of us -- if we ever had to defend ourselves. At least half of the pool raised their hands. The next couple of hours were filled with stories about home invasions, car jackings, assaults, rapes, etc... It blew me away. I wasn't picked for the jury, the defendant got 20 to life, my wife and I got our CCWs ASAP, we bought a bunch of Glocks and a 12 guage and we shoot twice a week.
OUTSTANDING!!!
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36   #11
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

From day one it was just a way of life. It just makes sense. One needs to be prepared.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:59   #12
dkbrucedvm

1. Democrat governors in my state - get your permit now, because if they have their way you won't get it later.

2. Virginia Tech, April 16.
"I urge you to beware the temptation of pride -- the temptation of blithely declaring yourselves above it all and label both sides equally at fault, to ignore the facts of history and the aggressive impulses of an evil empire..." - Ronald Regan
dkbrucedvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06   #13
sharpshooter

All the hoopla concerning the approaching Y2K issues (survival gear, etc) got me interested. I got my permit a year before Y2K hit just in case.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:31   #14
barmen9122

I kept hearing and reading alot of articles in the news about all the gangs, thugs, rapeist and such that were killing defenceless people in New Orleans after the storm.

Especially here in Florida and how many times we've been hit. I thought to myself it really isn't going to matter how much I have prepared and stocked up on water and supppies. If there's no LE to respond and someone with a gun wants to rape/murder your wife/girlfriend and take your stuff, I don't care how well you can take care of your self. A bullet really, really hurts.
barmen9122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 14:47   #15
DonGlock26

Defining Moments:

Growing up in a Democrat-controlled big American city and witnessing my first street heist at about 5 years of age.
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 15:49   #16
G30MI

When Michigan passed its "shall issue" CPL law back in 2001, I got my permit because...well, because I could. I rarely carried...I thought it was a MAJOR P.I.T.A., having to be aware of "Gun Free Zones", being concerned about my piece getting stolen from my car, etc. I let the permit expire without hardly a second thought in 2004.

On March 29, 2007, I was the victim of a home invasion. Now, before I go any further, let me clarify that I was NOT home at the time of the break-in. Yet my HOME was VIOLENTLY INVADED, along with my privacy and my sense of security and well-being. The thugs (I'm 100% convinced that there was more than one) kicked in my back door in broad daylight while my next door and across-the-street neighbors were home. The invasion was so violent (door frame shattered and the dead-bolted door essentially ripped off its hinges) that I'm convinced that they would have done great harm to me had I been home. They worked too hard getting in to then turn around and leave simply because someone challenged them. They made off with about $10,000 worth of electronics and other items, including a Mossberg 500 12 gauge.

So now there are at least two FELONS armed with MY shotgun who know that I own some expensive electronic toys, the layout of my house, which bedroom is mine (I live alone, so it's not hard to figure out where I sleep) what kind of door and window locks I have, what kind of dog I have (and that he barks a lot but doesn't bite) and what my schedule is (they broke in sometime after I left for work at 8:30 and before I got home at 4:30, and apparently took their sweet time considering the number of items they took). I'm not at all OK with any of this. I got very, very serious about my safety and security after the incident. My nightmare scenario is that I come home at night to find someone waiting for me inside my house. A CCW permit is just one tool in my effort to stay safe. Just this afternoon I turned in my paperwork at the County Clerk's office for my new permit.

Last edited by G30MI; 08-31-2007 at 19:28..
G30MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 15:58   #17
Agent6-3/8

I guess it was just a natural progression for me. I spent a lot of time running around with my grandfather who was a retired LEO. Somewhere around 2000 dad got his CCW and I follwed suit ASAP after turning 21. I've had my CCW for just over a year, but I still don't carry as regularly as I'd like too. Mostly due to the fact that I need a smaller gun like a S&W snubby for summer and times when I need deep concealment.
Old 08-31-2007, 16:07   #18
DoubleDog
Grrrrr.....

I was stabbed in 1982 -- I was in my early 20's. I wasn't seriously hurt, though I could have been. Being young and dumb I pretty much shrugged it off as being the wrong place at the wrong time...Fast forward to 1999: a bat wielding moron broke my friends arm as he was getting out of a car I was a passenger in...We were able to pull my friend back into the car, as bat boy took his frustrations out on the car till we were able to pull away...

Anyway, I applied for my pistol permit the following week...

In my case the guy that stabbed me thought I was someone else (go figure), and the guy with the bat---who knows?

Both acts were scary, insane, and RANDOM...

Those are 2 of the many reasons why I carry a gun...

DD~
Some of my best friends are dogs...
DoubleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 16:50   #19
ttown

No defining moment for me I just noticed there was a lot of people being in the wrong place at the wrong time that were getting killed by robbers.
ttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 20:38   #20
magnetnerd

Virginia Tech.

I don't go anywhere where I think I'll ever need a gun, but neither did those kids, I'm sure.

I also don't like to rely on other people for anything, beyond what's absolutely necessary. So, it doesn't make sense for me to assume the police or anyone else will protect me at all times. That's my job; not theirs.
magnetnerd is offline   Reply With Quote