Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:51   #1
J Lee

Aftermarket barrel?

Plan on handloading coated bullets(SNS/Bayou) for .45 G21 and 9mm G19. Should I invest in a replacement barrel? If so, which one, KKM-BarSto-Lone Wolf? Since the HiTek coating is getting so popular, wondered how well the Glock barrels shoot them and if I should.
J Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 13:46   #2
oldcspsarge

The good news is that ALL after-market barrels are HEAT TREATED...which Glock barrels are NOT .

Lonewolf are fine, Storm Lake are great...no need to spend any more.

Both will shoot jacketed, plated and lead bullets with NO issues what so ever.

A good idea with reloads since they VOID the Glock warranty anyway. Google glock KB if you haven't seen when a Glock barrel fails.
oldcspsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 14:06   #3
J Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcspsarge View Post
The good news is that ALL after-market barrels are HEAT TREATED...which Glock barrels are NOT .

A good idea with reloads since they VOID the Glock warranty anyway. Google glock KB if you haven't seen when a Glock barrel fails.
Thanks. I'll include the Storm Lake also.
J Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:43   #4
seventrs

I went with a storm lake barrel for mine. Threaded and isonite treated. I've researched the hell out of this topic. More people satisfied with storm lake. Decided to buy once. Cost me$229 shipped. No rabid puppy logo, better finish, and thread protector included.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:46   #5
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcspsarge View Post

This is the most false bit of misinformation I think I've seen on GT yet, and that says something because GT can be a real cesspool of dangerous misinformation sometimes.

I've been working with heat treated and non heat treated metals for about 40 years now and I know something about it. To suggest that Glock barrels are not heat treated is completely ignorant and untrue. I'm guessing you must have heard that nonsense from a teenager in a youtube video. A dead soft gun barrel would wear out it's rifling on the first day.

If Glock barrels are more prone to KB, it's because of the way they do their case support, and not because of not heat treating the metal. I know soft steel when I touch it with a file, and Glock barrels ain't that soft - nowhere near.

As for aftermarket barrels, I think my Bar Sto is much better made than my Lone Wolf is. The Bar Sto rifling looks smoother & better cut, but my eyes are to bad at this age to see the sights well & I can't really say I know which barrel is more accurate.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:07   #6
seventrs

Yeah the factory barrels not being heat treated is news to me too. Those things are hard as woodpecker lips btw. Only reasons I hear causing kb are hot loads, leaded barrel, other ignorant causes.

Last edited by seventrs; 04-28-2014 at 12:10..
seventrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 14:02   #7
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventrs View Post
Yeah the factory barrels not being heat treated is news to me too. Those things are hard as woodpecker lips btw. Only reasons I hear causing kb are hot loads, leaded barrel, other ignorant causes.
I think you are right. And considering some of the bull that comes out whenever there's another barrel thread, I'm starting to think we have guys on GT who are in the business of selling them, and they never waste time trying to start false rumors about the quality of Glock barrels.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 14:41   #8
seventrs

The only reason I got a new tube is for my can. Well 2 reasons; to shoot lead as well. I was led than impressed with the lwd ramps I saw that offered barely more support than a stock tube.
Old 08-21-2014, 23:35   #9
Bluescot

I put KKM barrels on my G30 and G27 and they are wonderful with outstanding accuracy particularly in the G30.

I had tremendously bad experiences with Lone Wolf barrels for those two models with short tight chambers which would struggle with reloads.

There is a long thread about Lone Wolf barrels available a while back that you might want to read.
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:19   #10
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I'll go the other way.
I shoot lead/coated lead, plated and jacketed reloads in my stock Glocks and have not had a problem with the G19, G17, G20, G21 and G22.
You just have to remain sane in your loads.
In fact I have found LSWCs to be some of the most accurate loads I shoot.
All but the G21 require hard cast lead.

Last edited by DWARREN123; 08-22-2014 at 02:20..
DWARREN123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:51   #11
seventrs

I ran polymer coated lead through a stock g23 for many years with no issues at all. Only reason I replaced the barrel on my 21 is I needed a US threaded barrel for my can. If you're going to run lead, a thorough, frequent cleaning regiment is in order.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:50   #12
Turn4811

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
I'll go the other way.
I shoot lead/coated lead, plated and jacketed reloads in my stock Glocks and have not had a problem with the G19, G17, G20, G21 and G22.
You just have to remain sane in your loads.
In fact I have found LSWCs to be some of the most accurate loads I shoot.
All but the G21 require hard cast lead.
+1
I have shot over 20K in reloads in my G37 with out any issues using all kinds of projectiles. My G19 and G26 have never seen anything but reloads but they rarely see the range as they are carry pieces.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:02   #13
Bellasdaddy

I know quite a few gents that have Lone Wolf G26 barrels tucked into there G27s. They have reported great results.
Bellasdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote