SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:02   #41
FrankZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigelf View Post
Same problem. Over 40 eye disease. If I'm wearing my contacts so that I can see at a distance, I can't see up close and get a clear front sight picture. Went to a Trijicon RMR. I don't know why, but I can see the dot just fine. Shooting is awesome.

John
My eye doc gave me multifocal contacts this time. They make a HUGE difference for me. He did indicate that some people do not tolerate them well, but I have been nothing short of amazed at how well I see distance and close up without reading glasses.

Give them a try.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:48   #42
Douglas Orlob

It depends on how old you are as to how long bifocal CLs will work for you. I'm glad that it works for you now. When you are shooting you may have a tendency to use your non dominant eye because the Dr usually under minus that eye and the pistol sights will be in better focus with that eye.
Good luck.
Douglas Orlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:41   #43
Douglas Orlob

Take the dist from your shooting eye to the front sight post divide it into 40" and the result will be the diopter power needed. Example: when my arm is fully extended say its 18" to your front post to you shooting eye: 40/18=2.2 if you use a +200 or a +225 the front sight will be in focus. This is assuming that you see 20/20 Without glasses.
40/d1= diopter power. Get a pair of cheep reading glasses and take the lens out on your non shooting eye. I think you will be surprised
Old 06-25-2014, 03:05   #44
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

See a doctor. There are a lot of things that can affect eye sight and many things that can be done to help.
As for sights you have to try them to see which ones work best for you.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:11   #45
Comp34zev

Hands down it has to be 10-8 sight! The front fiberoptic sight with the blacked out rear is great for older eyes you should really give them a try and for the price u can't beat them $80!!
Comp34zev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 15:42   #46
RonS

I'm the same age and have the same problem, with my glasses on the front sight is out of focus, without them targets at 25 yards are a blur, can't see the scoring rings on the NRA D target. I did the thing with the stick on bifocals and it works but just didn't like it long term.

I put Trijicon HD night sights on my G26 and I can sure see the front sight and there is air on either side of it now but I still end up driving to the range with my prescription glasses then shooting without them. I think that a narrower front sight with a fiber optic might has had the same effect for less money, the factory sight was too wide and more than filled the rear notch, I shot groups shaped like a flying saucer, twice as wide as they were tall.

My solution is pretty drastic. I bought a Burris FastFire III red dot sight and mounted it on a S&W revolver. It takes a second to find the dot since the rear sight is gone and the way the sight is mounted it sits pretty high. But the with my prescription glasses on the dot is sharp and in focus and so are the targets.

I like it so much that I am considering selling a rifle to pay for a G26 slide milled for a red dot with backup iron sights and a Trijicon RMR already installed. Google it or search Youtube there a lot of videos showing how it is working for people. Not cheap.
Old 06-25-2014, 16:21   #47
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfec2008 View Post
I love my xs big dot sights on my glock 19. The big dot is impossible not to see.
+1
I've got Big Dots on my Glock and most of my other guns.
Sights are such a personal choice it's hard to recommend for someone else.
I had Ameriglo I-Dot Pros on my TALO EXO G27.
I really loved them but wanted to get a quicker flash sight picture for carry.
So I switched to Big Dots.
They are not target sights.
But for CQC I really favor them.

Started putting Big Dots on all my guns.
But Didn't like them on my HK45C.
Swapped them out for HEINIE HK45C TACTICAL SLANTPRO QWIK STRAIGHT.
I really like them too.
Sights, Optics and Lasers

And my HK Tactical 45 has the factory black adjustable rear with
an Ameriglo Tactical front NS.
Actually bought some adjustable Meps but never put them on.
Shooting the HK USPT45 I just love the single dot.

The moral to this story is you really need to shoot a gun yourself with the sights on it to make that choice. Preferably the same model as your gun.

That's my experience for what it's worth.

Last edited by barth; 06-25-2014 at 16:26..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 18:09   #48
frankt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
Amazon.com: OPTX 20/20 Stick-On Bifocals, +2.00: Health & Personal Care

These are stick on bi-focals. Adhere one to your shooting glasses for your dominant eye. Position it reverse of the way traditional bifocal glasses put the bifocal lens. Adhere it so that when you not your head a little down, you get the magnification. Move your head back up a bit to see the target.

They come in different magnification strengths, just like reading glasses. Cool part is that you get two. 1 to use, 1 for a spare.
I have been using these for five or six years and they do work well. I have been shooting GSSF and IDPA with them. I wear progressive lens and I use a bifocal weak enough to see the sights clearly and still see the target well.
My eye doctor friend said you want 40% strength of your normal reading bifocal for sights so they are not too strong to blur the target.
I have used the XS sights before and they work great on a defensive type gun but I had some problems on the plate racks with them.

Semper Fi
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:47   #49
mcasan

Growing old sucks....but it beats the hell out of the alternative.

I fully comprehend the presbyopia issue as I had my 62nd birthday a few weeks ago. I celebrated by getting a G19 Gen 4. I had laser eye surgery years ago so my distance vision is still in the 20/20 range. But I have to wear 2-3 diopter reading glasses. And naturally the gun sites, with arms extended, are too far for reading glasses and still too fuzzy to see well.

Consider going to a laser site. That way you are not trying to focus on relatively near sites and a distant target at the same time. I just ordered a $15 red laser site that fits on the rails. It is a low cost experiment. If I like it I will likely go for a green laser for even greater visibility.
mcasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:06   #50
Goldsmithy

Thank you very much for all who replied to this thread. I am 71, and, having had macular surgery a year ago, my depth perception is WAY off. I will investigate the suggestions posted here. Thanks again...
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07   #51
Goldsmithy

Oh, and my favorite saying these days is...

Getting old is not for the weak.
Old 07-14-2014, 15:28   #52
RichM
NRA Benefactor

When I was a kid, I convinced my father to let me buy one of those 'war relic' rifles the local gun store had standing upright in a big barrel.

It was a 1917 Enfield (30-06) for $24.99. (I should have bought 100 of them

I used that rifle with iron sights to shoot woodchucks at 200 yards for years.

Now I can barely see a woodchuck at 200 yards, let alone the iron sights.

My accuracy with a handgun started dropping off years ago and it really annoyed me.
I tried everything with various glasses including trifocals which were a PAIN!

Then I decided to try a set of TRUGLO TFO sights and it made a world of difference. I couldn't believe the difference they made.
I'm well aware that some have had problems with the quality of them. I haven't. (so far

But I suspect any, big, bright sights would do the same thing.

Recently, after years of frustration with my Lasermax laser on my EDC, I replaced it with Crimson Trace Laserguard. (I have the CT on 6 other handguns)

I was surprised when I realized that I was actually able to see which direction I had to adjust the Crimson Trace just based on what I saw with the TFO's.

I would highly recommend ... go BIG and go BRIGHT!

Rich

Full Carry NY, AZ, FL, ME, NH, PA, UT, VA
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 15:03   #53
Douglas Orlob

Reading glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasan View Post
Growing old sucks....but it beats the hell out of the alternative.

I fully comprehend the presbyopia issue as I had my 62nd birthday a few weeks ago. I celebrated by getting a G19 Gen 4. I had laser eye surgery years ago so my distance vision is still in the 20/20 range. But I have to wear 2-3 diopter reading glasses. And naturally the gun sites, with arms extended, are too far for reading glasses and still too fuzzy to see well.

Consider going to a laser site. That way you are not trying to focus on relatively near sites and a distant target at the same time. I just ordered a $15 red laser site that fits on the rails. It is a low cost experiment. If I like it I will likely go for a green laser for even greater visibility.
Just take half the power of your reading glasses and that should give you a clear front sight post.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:13   #54
myglockisa23

I have old eyes too... I use lower power reading glasses.... like 1.5-1.75 power combined with these sights.... It works for me.... Ameriglo on my G19 on the left are $80.... Trijicon on my G17 are $130.... both have orange inserts... both have Trijicon tritium tubes... I like both... I think the Ameriglo are a real bargain....

Last edited by myglockisa23; 08-02-2014 at 07:18..
myglockisa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 18:11   #55
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
Occupational lenses (i.e. trifocals) with the top part set at +1 for arms-length focus.

Works for me, for any sights.
That's what I use.
When I shoot I use the top part of my glasses and that's where I need the lense that starts focusing at the front sight.
Old 08-21-2014, 22:35   #56
Douglas Orlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraman View Post
That's what I use.
When I shoot I use the top part of my glasses and that's where I need the lense that starts focusing at the front sight.
If you can find an optician worth his salt you can have a bifocal made upside down or really high. They make a press on bifocal that you can put on any wear. I'm pretty sure Walmart sells them. Be creative. My patent from 1983 put the bifocal right on the rear sight.
Good luck
Old 08-22-2014, 05:23   #57
jdw174

I'm 68 and farsighted. Anything from just arms length in is bad news. When I first noticed that my sights were getting blurry, I grabbed a pair of +1.5 readers I use for reading. I found that out to 25 yards I can still make out the IDPA targets very nicely, including the scoring rings out to 20 yards. I had a talk with my optometrist (also a shooter) and after a quick exam suggested a pair of shooting glasses with a +1.25 in the left lens and a +1.5 in the right. I chose an amber lens for these, and they've been great. I use Warren Tactical sights w/FO front on my 19, and just installed a set of Dawson Fixed Competition Sights on my G34 w/FO both front and rear and no problems at all.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:05   #58
Shiloh228

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1526090
Old 08-22-2014, 11:50   #59
Douglas Orlob

I don't understand why someone would say this on a forum.__________________
Some folks wear their ignorance like it was the Medal of Honor.
People are looking for answers.
Be constructive
Old 08-24-2014, 13:28   #60
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
I'll be 60 this August and can't see like I used to. Have any of you geezers found a good set of sights that I can put on my G26?
I went to a Red Dot the JPoint on my Glock 20 since my eyes need bifocals. Best thing I did for my pistol shooting.