Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2014, 16:36   #1
ric0123

In the market. . comparing models

I may be in the market for a new home defense shotty. I've been reading the threads here and I know I'm going to open a can of worms but asking for favorites and recommendations but I'm going to do it anyway.

I have an NEF right now (which I have heard is an 870 clone). At the time I bought it I was also looking at a mossy maverick but I didn't like the way the fore grip felt.

My bigger concern is tube capacity, or lack there of. I was reading about problems with tube extensions so I've decided I want a single piece. I have been looking at the mossberg persuader and also the 590a1 special purpose. I really want at least 7+1 but I'm fairly certain I want it in a single piece tube. Apparently certain model numbers are factory installed +2 and some are single piece. The 590a1 has other features like the sites and fiber front end.

I'm not overly worried about price (though I'm not really wanting to drop 1200 on a banelli). Assume for a minute that this will be your only long gun, because it would be my only non handgun.

Based on that, let the can of worms be opened !
Old 08-09-2014, 18:12   #2
Inebriated

First, if you buy a good extension, you'll have no issues. I have about a thousand rounds through a Wilson Combat +2 on one 870, and not a single hiccup or loosening. So don't worry too much about it if the gun you want requires one.

That said, obviously a one-piece is always more inherently reliable. Remington's newest 870 HD and Tactical models do come with a one-piece 6-round magazine tube. The issue with that is, you can't just take any 870 barrel and throw it on. You have to have one with the ring further forward for the longer magazine tube (same holds true for the 6/7+1 Mossbergs, I believe).

If you want it for HD, the range, the occasional round of clays, some hunting, then you'll be fine with the 18.5" barrel on it. If you think you might get into duck hunting, or more frequent clays, or might want to start shooting sabot slugs, then just get an 870 or 500/590 with the 4-round tube, and run a quality extension, because you'll get that added barrel versatility.

I'm an 870 guy, and if I were in the market for one shotgun (and for a long time, that's all I had), it'd be an 870.

JD at AI&P (member here) does a good Express upgrade package, and brings it to-spec with the Police model while costing less. The Basic 1 I believe is the model.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691

Last edited by Inebriated; 08-09-2014 at 18:13..
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 18:24   #3
Cain8768

I love my benelli supernova and they have a supernova pump in a tactical configuration for around $500.

Here are the prices at bass pro. I've noticed similar prices about everywhere.

http://m.basspro.com/Benelli-SuperNo....google.com%2F
Cain8768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39   #4
Buffering
The Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
First, if you buy a good extension, you'll have no issues. I have about a thousand rounds through a Wilson Combat +2 on one 870, and not a single hiccup or loosening. So don't worry too much about it if the gun you want requires one.

That said, obviously a one-piece is always more inherently reliable. Remington's newest 870 HD and Tactical models do come with a one-piece 6-round magazine tube. The issue with that is, you can't just take any 870 barrel and throw it on. You have to have one with the ring further forward for the longer magazine tube (same holds true for the 6/7+1 Mossbergs, I believe).

If you want it for HD, the range, the occasional round of clays, some hunting, then you'll be fine with the 18.5" barrel on it. If you think you might get into duck hunting, or more frequent clays, or might want to start shooting sabot slugs, then just get an 870 or 500/590 with the 4-round tube, and run a quality extension, because you'll get that added barrel versatility.

I'm an 870 guy, and if I were in the market for one shotgun (and for a long time, that's all I had), it'd be an 870.

JD at AI&P (member here) does a good Express upgrade package, and brings it to-spec with the Police model while costing less. The Basic 1 I believe is the model.
Just to add to what you said and to give the OP something else to munch on, JD just finished building me an 870/20 and it's a fine piece of machinery. It's specifically called the Basic 20 however it's also available as a Basic 12. If I were in the market for a basic and solid HD/SD gun, you can't do much better.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:43   #5
tango44

Rem 870 enough said!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 23:03   #6
xnicodemusx
تعال والحصول عل

Fn slp mk1
Old 08-16-2014, 07:23   #7
DFin

Compare an 18.5 in. barrel to a 20 in. before you buy.

Last edited by DFin; 08-16-2014 at 15:35..
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 21:27   #8
g17rem870

regarding 18.5 vs 20"

Hey DFin please go on do you feel as the 20 has some advantage... the Wilson combat scatter gun tech build I'm looking at didn't seem to be able to get an extra round into the extension tube .... is there a ballistic advantage? Thx in advance E
g17rem870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 14:11   #9
mtstream

You threw a wrench into the whole thing when you said "only long gun." For HD I want maneuverability, I don't care about chokes due to expected distances, I want a grip that I can hold well with one hand while opening a door with the other, etc. etc.

But "only long gun" I would want versatility. You didn't mention if you would want to buy additional barrels or really wanted one gun/one configuration. At a minimum this would mean a longer barrel (I think 20") with chokes. I think states vary on if you can use a removable plug in the mag for hunting or not - someone with more knowledge on that will have to weigh in.

As far as which gun - personally I own a Benelli M4 and Vinci along with an 870. My one gun would be the M4 because it behaves like a rifle (and has chokes) even though it is only 18.5" (BTW my skeet range won't allow barrels under 20"). But it's a very hefty price tag. Outside of that, I would stick with an 870 - tried and true, lots of options and lots of parts available.
mtstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 16:43   #10
hunter 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
Rem 870 enough said!
Pleaee
Quality control plastic parts makes this a horrible choice
Unless he gnet a police model or wing master

Best most duable is the Mossburg line
590 sounds like what you are looking for
Get a marinecote if you aren't tactical oriented
Old 08-24-2014, 17:32   #11
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter 111 View Post
Pleaee
Quality control plastic parts makes this a horrible choice
Unless he gnet a police model or wing master

Best most duable is the Mossburg line
590 sounds like what you are looking for
Get a marinecote if you aren't tactical oriented
If you can't spell them, why would anyone take your critique seriously?

If you want to rehash 870 v 590, just search. Most of us who actually shoot shotguns know that the differences are greatly exaggerated by those who don't.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 15:49   #12
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
If you can't spell them, why would anyone take your critique seriously?
Ouch...that's going to leave a mark.

In 30+ years of shotgunning, I've encountered some winners and a few losers.

As for any 870 vs. 590 debate, it generally comes to to one factor; personal preference.

I had a 590A1 and tried to like it but could not. The weight of the heavy-wall barrel and 9-shot capacity made it wayyyyy too heavy for me. Reliable? You bet!

Tacticool features aside, an 870 Wingmaster with standard mag tube and 18-20 inch bead sight barrel will likely cover 99.999999% of anyone's HD needs. Period.

I would suggest possibly a forearm/barrel mounted high-intensity light but that would be all.

IMO, leave the ghost rings, heat shields, slings, sidesaddles, red dots, and picatinny rails to other firearms.

Last edited by Leigh; 08-26-2014 at 15:53..
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 15:53   #13
Mochahooligan

Remington 870 a lll day long!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59   #14
ca survivor

another vote for the Remington 870
Old 08-27-2014, 20:21   #15
phalanxr

I have a 10 year old Mossy 500 cruiser that bounced around in a trunk. Its scratched, gouged, banged up, the bolt inside has gouges, idk what from.

Yet it runs like a proverbial sewing machine. The controls are intuitive and after slapping on magpul furniture I can never see myself getting rid of it outside a 590A1 with ghost rings.
phalanxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 13:18   #16
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I don't know why anyone would complain about plastic components on a shotgun on a website dedicated to plastic pistols....

From an aesthetics standpoint...OK the Aluminum might be classier--a little bit.

When it comes to the plastic trigger group on an 870 I've never seen one fail. I've used a bunch of em too. I own a couple of Benelli's with plastic trigger groups that have been through hell and back and never have given me one bit of a problem. So the use of polymer in a shotgun is proven to be reliable and has several advantages over aluminum.

Honestly...with any quality shotgun from Mossberg, Remington etc materials selection will generally not be an issue. Fit and finish--maybe.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 08-28-2014 at 13:21..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote