GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 11:48   #41
poodleplumber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,087
Thanks, gang. You confirmed my suspicions that it was a "last resort" sort of idea. I'll pick up some lighter bullets for the .380 when I have opportunity.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20   #42
AJE
*goes to 11*
 
AJE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,489
Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Bumping this rather than creating a new thread.

I'm sending off GSSF paperwork for a 42 so I'm looking at .380 loads now. I'm looking at SNS casting 95gr coated bullets, and I have Bullseye, WST, Red Dot, and Power Pistol on hand.
__________________
Certified GLOCK Armorer
17g1, 17g4, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 34
AJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 16:37   #43
njl
Senior Member
 
njl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 9,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJE View Post
Bumping this rather than creating a new thread.

I'm sending off GSSF paperwork for a 42 so I'm looking at .380 loads now. I'm looking at SNS casting 95gr coated bullets, and I have Bullseye, WST, Red Dot, and Power Pistol on hand.
You're in luck, because there's load data for all of those except WST.

http://handloads.com/loaddata/defaul...Powder&Source=

I've been using Promo and tried titegroup. I might try titegroup some more...but I have 2lbs of it and 16 of Promo.

I ended up buying an XS powder bar for my RL550B to try to get better consistency with <3gr charges of Promo. It seems to have helped.
__________________
what guns?
Lifetime GSSF & NRA.
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 20:10   #44
AJE
*goes to 11*
 
AJE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,489
Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Hadn't looked at that website yet, thank you. Looks like I'm in business whichever one I want to use.

What's your preferred OAL for the 42?
__________________
Certified GLOCK Armorer
17g1, 17g4, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 34
AJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 20:51   #45
njl
Senior Member
 
njl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 9,583
I'm still trying to figure it out...and it depends on the bullet. For Xtreme 100gr FP, I think I've been loading about 0.935". It's a short bullet and needs to be loaded short to have much bullet inside the case. I'm also trying Bayou 95gr. I wasn't entirely happy with the first batch of them I loaded, so I loaded some more with more powder and shorter OAL, but haven't been able to test them yet.
__________________
what guns?
Lifetime GSSF & NRA.
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:25   #46
Kentguy
Senior Member
 
Kentguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kent, OH
Posts: 1,025
AJE "...I'm looking at SNS casting 95gr coated bullets, and I have Bullseye, WST, Red Dot, and Power Pistol on hand."

For target loads I have settled on "Magtech" bullets, specificly 95g FMJ RN. They are fairly inexpensive, consistent, load well and I have had some great rounds using these bullets.

My load with Bullseye I use 3.2g
OAL I use .975
Velocity runs at 859.2 fps out of a 3.5" barrel

With Power Pistol I use Hornady's 90g XTP HP bullets

Power Pistol - 4.2g
OAL - .965"
Velocity - 887.3 fps again out of a 3.5" barrel.

I have not test the other two powders you have but for target loads Hodgdon Universal, Accurate Arms #5, Winchester AutoComp and of course Winchester 231 work very well in 380.

Good luck and have fun with your new G42.
__________________
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
óRudyard Kipling
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 13:00   #47
G36_Me
Senior Member
 
G36_Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJE View Post
Hadn't looked at that website yet, thank you. Looks like I'm in business whichever one I want to use.

What's your preferred OAL for the 42?
The longer bullets pass the gage and barrel test in my G42 but do not chamber reliably. I need to run an OAL shorter in my G42 than my Sig.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Life Member, NSSF member, GSSF Lifetime
- previous competitive shooter
Advanced Glock Armorer
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 19:07   #48
AJE
*goes to 11*
 
AJE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,489
Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
AJE "...I'm looking at SNS casting 95gr coated bullets, and I have Bullseye, WST, Red Dot, and Power Pistol on hand."

For target loads I have settled on "Magtech" bullets, specificly 95g FMJ RN. They are fairly inexpensive, consistent, load well and I have had some great rounds using these bullets.

My load with Bullseye I use 3.2g
OAL I use .975
Velocity runs at 859.2 fps out of a 3.5" barrel

With Power Pistol I use Hornady's 90g XTP HP bullets

Power Pistol - 4.2g
OAL - .965"
Velocity - 887.3 fps again out of a 3.5" barrel.


I have not test the other two powders you have but for target loads Hodgdon Universal, Accurate Arms #5, Winchester AutoComp and of course Winchester 231 work very well in 380.

Good luck and have fun with your new G42.
Excellent info, thank you.
__________________
Certified GLOCK Armorer
17g1, 17g4, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 34
AJE is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
p238, reloading, sig
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 944
282 Members
662 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31