Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2014, 00:03   #1
Jamesey

Cruiser Ready storage

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but of all the methods of storing a loaded HD shotgun, cruiser ready (empty chamber, hammer decocked, full magazine) seems the best option. This would require racking the slide, with the distinctive click-clack sound, to make the gun ready to fire. Some say the sound gives away your position to a potentially ruthless intruder; therefore the chamber should be kept loaded & on safe at all times.

My concern is that pump shotguns are not generally drop safe. Most will spend 99% of their time idle/in storage. If the gun gets bumped, dropped, knocked over, with a live round chambered, hammer poised to fall on a firing pin that does NOT get immobilized with the safety on.....well, that would be a serious ND. Also, I wonder about the long term effect of the hammer spring being compressed for months at a time as well as other small parts under tension. It's a trade off. What say the learned, experienced minds out there?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22   #2
Hedo1

That is how I've stored my Mossberg 500 for years. I routinely run the cartridges thru the mag to check function. Do this about once per month. I also run 25 to 50 rounds thru the shotgun every couple of months. Never had a feed problem with it.

I keep my G19 in the bed stand. My wife has a revolver. We never planed to search for an intruder in the house. Our plan is to sit and wait for him to come to us. That's why the shotgun is in the bedroom cruiser ready.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2014, 18:12   #3
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I've always kept shotguns cruiser ready. Pistols are at hand for the need-it-right-NOW use.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 20:14   #4
Kilrain
Señor Member

The "giving away your position by racking the shotgun" sounds about as specious as the "sound of the shotgun racking makes them run away" argument. But that's just me.

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 21:12   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

I keep mine with a full tube, safety on and hammer cocked. I have been shooting an 870 pump since I was 8 years old when mad dad gave me a youth model 20g. Its instinctive for me to hit the bolt release as I cycle the pump.

In all honesty though my 12g is in the safe most nights and I keep my P220 with TLR-1 attached on my nightstand.

Last edited by collim1; 03-01-2014 at 21:13..
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:05   #6
Jamesey

Elsewhere on GT it has been discussed that a weapon light "gives away your position" to that same intruder, and yet such lights have become common in law enforcement as well as with citizens using them to identify targets before shooting. "Be certain of your target" is Rule #4 of basic firearm safety. Safety is why I've kept my shotgun cruiser ready. If an intruder uses the racking sound as a homing signal I'll be ready to "light him up", first with the light and then with buckshot, if necessary.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:23   #7
Road Man

I keep my home defense shotguns and pistols fully loaded with one in the chamber. Pistols are Glock's, so they don't have a safety lever, and the shotguns are 870's with big button safeties that are easy to make ready to shoot with my trigger finger. I should mention that these weapons are locked in quick access enclosures unless they are in my hands. The weapons in my bedroom, both the pistol and shotgun, have weapon lights.

It is just the wife and I. Our plan is to hunker down behind cover and call 911. The weapons are for our defense. I have no intention of actively looking for an intruder.

I have known that my 870 is not "drop safe" for quite a long time.

My biggest worry about having weapons in my home is that a bad guy will find one of my guns and use it against me as I sleep. ALL of my weapons, even those bedside are locked at all times. Yes, this could add a few seconds, but I am a very sound sleeper and I need to balance all of the risks.
Old 03-02-2014, 17:32   #8
vafish

Get a Mossberg 500 they have passed mil spec 3443 which requires a 4ft drop test.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:01   #9
Jamesey

Thanks vafish, I didn't know about the drop test with Mossbergs. I have two model 500s. I think I'll still keep the chambers empty for now.
Old 03-10-2014, 19:04   #10
PAGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
I've always kept shotguns cruiser ready. Pistols are at hand for the need-it-right-NOW use.
I keep all long guns cruiser ready, all handguns +1 as it makes life simple... Of course all are always treated as loaded.
Old 03-10-2014, 19:20   #11
Inebriated

I keep mine with a full tube, and one on the lifter (so the bolt is obviously in the rearward position).
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43   #12
BNDIT 1

I keep mine hammer down on a snap cap so I don't need to work the release button.
BNDIT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 13:16   #13
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Why on a snap cap,......why not an empty chamber?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 13:17   #14
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

With my M4, I have safety on, chamber empty, with a shell floated on the lifter.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:43   #15
Jake Starr

Rifle, pistol and shotgun, cruiser ready. Except for my duty gun.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 16:59   #16
dtac
dtacproducts

I wouldn't be to quick in dismissing the psychological effect the raking of a slide on pump shotgun can have on an intruder....it is a very well known sound from movies, tv, and video games............it could very well alter his choices...(much like the rattle of a rattlesnake's tail would surely alter mine)...if you are worried about giving away your position...don't do it until your in the same room...by the time the noise registers you are ready to fire...at that point his knowing you are armed could be a very good thing...but I am neither experienced nor learned...just my 2 cents
dtac is offline   Reply With Quote