Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:47   #21
AZson

I went to the four holer press because Because many of the competitive shooters I knew use the Lee Factory Die Crimp after bullet seating even in their high priced Dillons.
I use the LFDC on all my auto pistol rounds but not on my revolver.

Last edited by AZson; 02-23-2014 at 06:49..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:35   #22
creophus
Born Again

I was in this situation a while back when I only had a LCT. It wasn't so many rounds per week that I was shooting (100-200), but my procrastination that made me want a 550.

If I had dedicated a little more time to reloading ahead of time, it would not be an issue. I was trying to crank out a couple hundred rounds right before a match. That's a dumb idea.

#448 .40S&W, 1911, Rimfire , Kalishnikov, & Black Rifle club
creophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 13:54   #23
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creophus View Post
I was in this situation a while back when I only had a LCT. It wasn't so many rounds per week that I was shooting (100-200), but my procrastination that made me want a 550.

If I had dedicated a little more time to reloading ahead of time, it would not be an issue. I was trying to crank out a couple hundred rounds right before a match. That's a dumb idea.
If I had to guess, many a progressive have been purchased for that reason alone.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 14:04   #24
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Don View Post
If I had to guess, many a progressive have been purchased for that reason alone.
Agree 100%. The idea that I need to plan a week out to load the ammo was just too much for me. Now I know I can get 300 rds done in less then 30 mins. So it's never a big deal to just crank out the ammo.

BUT

Never Ever do it the day of the match.
Old 02-24-2014, 14:06   #25
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Don View Post
That would depend on how much you want to shoot. To me, it makes no sense to have more than a press that enables me to shoot 200 rounds a week for an hour at the press. That is viable price/value ratio.
I agree, most of us just do not need any progressive. That of course doesn't mean you shouldn't have what ever you want. The turret is simple, if you load several diff calibers in lower volumes, it makes sense. Why I like my 550B, simple for a lot of caliber changes doing small runs. A LCT would suit me just as well, but then I can only go so fast on the turret. That is really what should drive your decision, how much time do you want to spend reloading?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 16:23   #26
High Altitude

Thanks for all the feed back guys.

Haven't purchased yet. All I see when thinking about buying a Lee Classic Turret Kit is $200 I could put towards a 550b.
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:28   #27
AZson

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Thanks for all the feed back guys.

Haven't purchased yet. All I see when thinking about buying a Lee Classic Turret Kit is $200 I could put towards a 550b.
I looked at the 550 and thought of the powder, bullets, primers, brass, primer feeder, scale, bullet puller and half the price dies for the $400 I saved.
I dont shoot 500 rounds a week so the turret is just fine.
Did I forget a caliper?

Last edited by AZson; 02-28-2014 at 09:30..
Old 02-28-2014, 09:40   #28
Colorado4Wheel

Difference between a setup 550 and LCT is about $250.

Of course caliber conversion on the LCT are a lot cheaper.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 02-28-2014 at 09:58..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 16:45   #29
AZson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Difference between a setup 550 and LCT is about $250.

Of course caliber conversion on the LCT are a lot cheaper.
Starting, if you want to reload you have to buy a lot more equipment to get started, for one thing it does not come with a scale, primer hole reamers, reloading manual like the Lee Classic 4 hole kit comes with and like I said, the dies are half the cost.
Dillons are good machines but their powder alarm has flaws though.
I buy extra turrets for mine for $20.

Last edited by AZson; 02-28-2014 at 16:46..
Old 02-28-2014, 17:49   #30
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
Starting, if you want to reload you have to buy a lot more equipment to get started, for one thing it does not come with a scale, primer hole reamers, reloading manual like the Lee Classic 4 hole kit comes with and like I said, the dies are half the cost.
I buy extra turrets for mine for $20.
Its little over $200 for the LCT and about $500 for a 550 with the Lee Dies. So under $300 but over $250. All the stuff that comes in the kit you refer to its either crap or not needed. I am just comparing the KEMPF Kit done right with Basic 550.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 02-28-2014 at 17:50..
Old 02-28-2014, 17:51   #31
unclebob

Quote:
I have been using a couple of Dillon powder alarms for 37 years. They all have worked fine for me. If they have flaws I have not come across any yet. Other than I canít tell the difference between the primer alarm and the powder alarm buzzer.
GSSF Life Member
Old 02-28-2014, 17:53   #32
Colorado4Wheel

Mine works fine a well. I think people read the instructions
Old 02-28-2014, 18:25   #33
OrangePwr9

Sale at Midway

Midway's got a 15% sale going for the next 10 days. I've wanted a LCT and ordered one when I saw the sale. Adding the primer system, spare turrets, spare parts and a factory crimp die brought it to $200 so I can get $30 off. Already have dies and the Lee disk powder measure.

I've been loading single stage RCBS and Lyman turret. The Lyman does speed things up some; I figure the Lee will do even better with the primer feed, indexing, and the disk measure.

Most weeks I try to make it to the range a couple of times. Normally shoot 50 rounds per session and spend the rest of the time shooting a CO2 pellet pistol. Hate to burn ammo when powder & components are hard to find.

Was considering the SDB and RL550 but they'd be overkill. The LCT should meet my needs OK.
OrangePwr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 19:15   #34
fredj338

Quote:
I looked at the 550 and thought of the powder, bullets, primers, brass, primer feeder, scale, bullet puller and half the price dies for the $400 I saved.
I dont shoot 500 rounds a week so the turret is just fine.
Did I forget a caliper?
Which is fine, the LCT will just never be a progressive. It always comes down to time & $$. My time is valuable, more so the older I get. So 450rds vs 175rds per hour for a mere $400, a no brainer. Over 10 years reloading the diff is $3.33 a month. At 500rds a month, I would save a min of 2hrs a month X say $40/hr wage, that cheaper LCT cost me $9600 more over 10yrs!! Lots of diff ways to look at reloading but the equip cost should be waaay down the list IMO. Quality reliable gear is #1. Speed of production can be a consideration, then you have to buy better gear, what ever that is to you.

BTW, what is a primer feeder? The 550B comes with everything you need for one caliber but dies. It will accept any brand dies, even Lee. The other stuff you need, LCT or any progressive.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-28-2014 at 19:22..
Old 03-01-2014, 09:05   #35
AZson

Okay okay, I know how this thread will go down, I will say I know at least 2 people I know had a squid from their Dillon 650/550s, you will say they didn't know what they where doing, I will say these people shoot 200+ rounds a week not including practice days (that is why they own Dillions) for many years now, so I'm pretty sure they know what they doing.
You will say something to defend the Dillion and I will say, one of the reasons I like the Lee is I know "I" have to check my powder in my case, because a squib can mess up your gun, your range time and your shooting hand.
I will not lie the quality of the Dillion is better and if give the chance I would scoop one up if I found a really really good deal on one, but in the end it's still making sure the powder is there.
Heck I use to know a guy who flew in helicopters with Dillion on their Gatling gun practice range here in AZ. He said he was a very nice guy.

Last edited by AZson; 03-01-2014 at 09:08..
Old 03-01-2014, 09:33   #36
fredj338

Quote:
Okay okay, I know how this thread will go down, I will say I know at least 2 people I know had a squid from their Dillon 650/550s, you will say they didn't know what they where doing, I will say these people shoot 200+ rounds a week not including practice days (that is why they own Dillions) for many years now, so I'm pretty sure they know what they doing.
You will say something to defend the Dillion and I will say, one of the reasons I like the Lee is I know "I" have to check my powder in my case, because a squib can mess up your gun, your range time and your shooting hand.
I will not lie the quality of the Dillion is better and if give the chance I would scoop one up if I found a really really good deal on one, but in the end it's still making sure the powder is there.
Heck I use to know a guy who flew in helicopters with Dillion on their Gatling gun practice range here in AZ. He said he was a very nice guy.
No man operated machine can gaurantee to eliminate human error. The only way to get a squib on a 650 is short stroke the handle, on a 550, over rotate the shell plate, both operator errors. Also easily done on a turret. All easily corrected by verifying the powder charge VISUSALLY, powder check dies are a backup IMO.
Again, once you become a handle puller, you are going to make mistakes, regardless of the press, but a progressive lends itself more to handle pulling becuase the user thinks the machine is doing the work & they are just providing the horsepower.
Back to costs. People are really funny. They will spend stupid $$ one thing & then cut corners on somnething else, it's all about priorities. When buying tools, I look for qualility & something that makes the job faster &/o or more accurate. I would cut the ole latte out once a week & just pony up for the Dillon. Sure it's a bit of $$ up front, so what, we all find $$ for the things we want/need. Time is something I can not buy though. I started with a ss press. When my time became more valuable, a jump to a progressive was a no brainer. Again, go fast or slow, options are nice to have.

Last edited by fredj338; 03-01-2014 at 09:39..
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48   #37
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
That "Two People" thing is silly. It is the user. I shoot 300 in a practice. Doesn't mean I pay attention when I load. Doesn't mean a thing about my loading habits. Its never the machine. Always the user.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 03-01-2014 at 09:49..
Old 03-01-2014, 22:36   #38
RustyFN

Depends on the person. I loaded on a classic turret for seven years before I bought a Dillon 550. I like the classic turret as much as the 550 and use it just as much.

Edit: I agree with Steve. I squib is never the fault of the machine and always the user.

Last edited by RustyFN; 03-01-2014 at 22:39..
RustyFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 22:42   #39
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFN View Post
Depends on the person. I loaded on a classic turret for seven years before I bought a Dillon 550. I like the classic turret as much as the 550 and use it just as much.

Edit: I agree with Steve. I squib is never the fault of the machine and always the user.
Wait until you get my age and see if you still like it.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-02-2014, 06:50   #40
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Wait until you get my age and see if you still like it.
Still like mine at 71!
ChrisJn is offline   Reply With Quote