Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2014, 18:46   #1
ronin.45

G21 sights?

The chart tells me that I should go with "+1" sights for the 21 vs. "+0" for the 17.

Why is that? If they are very close in sight radius should there be much difference?.

The reason I ask is that I can't locate "+1" sights at any online dealer or from the manufacturer direct. The same sights are available in the "+0".

Let me know why I can't use the "+0" and feel free to tell my I'm stupid for asking.
Old 03-01-2014, 18:52   #2
tager

Evening ronin.45;

Easy to figure-- what does your gun have on it now & where does it hit POI vs POA?

If you are happy with where it hits now then just match what you have height wise.

Otherwise take where you are hitting now in relation to your aim then figure out what you need to make it right.

All but one of my Glocks has needed a different height rear sight than what it came with (at least for my hold & aiming).
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 19:39   #3
ronin.45

I'm still waiting on the gun. It'll have factory G21 sights on it.

Meprolight lists the "+1" for the G21, but apparently they don't make them very often because there aren't any to be had. I just wanted to know if it would hit way off if I got the "+0" instead.

Factory sights have always been pretty much dead on for me. If the different sights would mean it was on at 35' instead of 50' or something minimal like that, I'd be fine with it. If it was going to be 3" high at 21' then I would have to think of something else.

Thanks for your help though.
Old 03-01-2014, 21:26   #4
Mike-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
The chart tells me that I should go with "+1" sights for the 21 vs. "+0" for the 17.
What chart is that? Glock OEM fixed rear sights do not use such terminology. Glock's authoritative document of proper factory rear sight elevation is found in the Glock Certified Armorer Parts List and Will-Fit Info (see page 5).

Quote:
Why is that? If they are very close in sight radius should there be much difference?
The exterior ballistics of the cartridge being fired have great effect on determining the required rear sight elevation to achieve impact at or near point-of-aim. Those ballistics are quite different between 9x19mm and .45 ACP! A slower projectile will drop more in flight to cover the same distance to target than will a high velocity projectile...thus the slower projectile must be fired with its barrel elevated more than the barrel of the higher velocity projectile.

The G17 is supplied with a 6.5mm elevation fixed rear sight. This is indicated by a mark on the right-hand side of a Glock OEM rear sight of a single long dash.

The G21 is supplied with a 6.9mm elevation fixed rear sight. This is indicated by a mark on the right-hand side of a Glock OEM rear sight of a short dash above a long dash.

Last edited by Mike-M; 03-01-2014 at 21:28..
Mike-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 22:19   #5
ronin.45

The chart is on Lone Wolf's website.

It corresponds with ameriglo's designations as well.

I understand that down range ballistics are significantly different, but how will the sight affect poi/POA at normal pistol ranges? Both bullets are coming out straight and the point they correspond with the sight line will be before they start to drop.

If it hits a half inch low at 25-30' I wouldn't even worry about it and I'd use the sight for the 17.