SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:17   #1
wvboy

Duty rig style mag draw

Mas,
I've got a set response for drawing magazines on my usual carrier. I'm planning on a career in law enforcement after graduation. I've notice that nearly all LEOs still (good or bad) have mag pouches with snap flaps. If and when the time comes for me to learn to draw fresh magazines from these, how do you suggest doing so? Please walk me through the most efficient process for the leather type, button-snap rig. Let's operate that it's being carried at 10-11 o'clock on the support side.

Also, I've recently started a collegiate shooting club at school and am acting as President. It's been a rocky road, but the Glenville State College Pioneer Shooting Club is an IDPA affiliate club with a growing IDPA membership. The theory is to advance to 3-Gun eventually. We are primarily criminal justice majors and ROTC folks. I know this is broad, but do you have any advice. I could ask a thousand questions, but I'll take any knowledge I can get. As always, I appreciate your help.

Respectfully,
WVboy
wvboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 17:12   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Good luck with your LE career. Many of us do use snugly fitting open top pouches; they're issue from Alaska (most departments I see up there) to Jacksonville Florida. With the flapped type, still required by many agencies, what I found worked best was to bend the lip of the flap below the button outward. Magazines were placed bullet noses forward. The heel of the support hand would pop up the flap as the hand swept to the magazine, saving an extra movement for unsnapping. Thumb and middle finger grasp the body of the magazine, index finger outside the front of that cell of the pouch. As the magazine clears, turn palm up, insert, and carry on.

To get that lip bent on a leather pouch, just dampen that part of the flap, bend it up, and leave it overnight pressed in the position you want under a pile of books. Works like a charm.

Stay safe,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 18:38   #3
wvboy

Thanks Mas,

Can you lend some advice for managing the school shooting club, or instructing new folks in tactical style shooting?
wvboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

For starting a club, that's beyond my scope I'm afraid.

For starting new folks, best advice is give them foundations of safety first, then marksmanship and mind-set, before getting into the high-speed/low drag stuff.

That topic calls for multiple sources of input. I'd suggest starting a thread in Tactics and Training.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote