Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:34   #1
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

A real lightning strike, or just dramatic?

I can't tell if these guys were actually hit by the lightning, or if many of them are just acting dramatic?

I have no doubt a close strike would knock you on your ass, but surely you'd be able to get back up? Mind you, I've never been less than a 1/4 mile away from a lightning strike, so I can't speak personally on the issue.

Perhaps some of you who have had close strikes near you can shed some light on this issue. is it like a flash-bang grenade?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:01   #2
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
but surely you'd be able to get back up?
No.

Lightning hit my house. I was inside sitting on the sofa next to the wall that was hit. My arm was touching the wall.

I spasmed and balled up like I had been gut punched. The arm that was touching the wall was almost useless for several minutes. And I got a fraction of the shock people receive if they are standing on the ground. No moisture in the wall to conduct the electricity.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 02-17-2014 at 03:02..
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:12   #3
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
No.

Lightning hit my house. I was inside sitting on the sofa next to the wall that was hit. My arm was touching the wall.

I spasmed and balled up like I had been gut punched. The arm that was touching the wall was almost useless for several minutes. And I got a fraction of the shock people receive if they are standing on the ground. No moisture in the wall to conduct the electricity.
Wow! Glad you're okay! I guess when Zeus gets pissed, nobody's safe!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:35   #4
SouthernFlyer

I hate lightning, funny because i live in the lightning capitol of the world, Tampa. Have had a few close calls over the years.

Once i was at a friends who was out of town bottle feeding a young philly in a small pasture. Lightning hit a huge tree in the pasture about a hundred feet up and a hundred feet from where i was standing. Brilliant flash of light and an instantaneous boom that i could feel the shockwave from. I left quickly.

A few years ago i was awakened in the middle of the night by a huge boom that shook the walls. The next morning i figured out that lightning had hit the big oak tree about 15ft from the exterior wall of my bedroom. The lightning traveled down the tree and through my cable line. Burned out two splitters, cable box, cable modem, and three tv's. All were connected to surge protectors, but the cable lines were not protected.

Also had lightning strike a tree next to the road as i was driving by, maybe 30ft away. Scary.

Never fell down and rolled around on the ground like in the video. But i was never actually hit.

I hate lightning.
SouthernFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00   #5
frank4570
Feral human

Lightning hit the water near where I was fishing. I don't know how long me and my friend lay unconscious on the bank. But we were in kind of bad shape when we finally woke up.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08   #6
cpgor

Check out the power of a strike

http://www.grindtv.com/lifestyle/cul...curity-camera/
cpgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:17   #7
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

This guy is LUCKY! Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. I guess lightning really does strike twice...

Anyone else here have any lightning stories?

Last edited by Jade Falcon; 02-17-2014 at 08:18..
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:20   #8
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

A lightning bolt hit a pole about 50 feet from me in a parking lot. When it's that close, it gets your attention. I didn't know which way to head for cover - I could just see God up there looking through his scoped lightning rifle saying softly under his breath, "next time I'm gonna lead you just a little more..." But seriously, it was wasn't a thunderous rolling boom, but more of a very sharp CRACK sound and crazy bright. I didn't take any sort of hit from it. I did however get my ass back in the building I had walked out of.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22   #9
Kevinr20

Back in the mid 90's, My great aunt and uncle were hit by lightning while walking through an open pasture area in Ohio. My uncle died instantly and my aunt was thrown some yards back and was injured pretty badly but survived. She needed plastic surgery to repair damage to her face.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:24   #10
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

A friend of mine was killed by a lightning strike. It basically 'cooked' his insides instantly.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:27   #11
Kevinr20

Quote:
This guy is LUCKY! Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. I guess lightning really does strike twice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X14e9Fwxa8w

Anyone else here have any lightning stories?
I have a feeling that video is fake.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:37   #12
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Kevin and LW, I am very sorry for your losses! That is awful. I guess it's definitely worth it to seek shelter during a thunderstorm! I can see why outside sporting venues get delayed when lightning passes through.

Many years ago, when I was 12, my mother and I were watching a lightning storm pass through. She said something about the lightning getting close, and how she wanted me to stay in the garage. Well, being a 12 year old know-it-all, I tried to convince her that it was safe outside by running out into our cul-de-sac and holding up a metal baseball bat with one hand.

Needless to say: my mother was NOT amused. She dragged me into the garage, and proceeded to chew me out (I thought she was going to spank me; I would have deserved it). I've never heard the woman yell so loudly. Indeed, it was not my finest hour. I'm glad I wasn't killed.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:39   #13
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
Sure looks real to me! Look at the burn on the ground the first time he's struck.

If it is fake, it's very well done.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:25   #14
TK-421

Lightning can be dangerous. Back in 1998 there was a bolt of lightning that killed an entire team.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/li...m-1181336.html

Reddit says it's because the one team had metal cleats which attracted the lightning and caused a ground, and the other team had plastic cleats that didn't ground.

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearne...n_the_congo_a/
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37   #15
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

I was swimming in a lake when lightning struck the water about 50 yards from us. I imagine I now know what it feels like to get tasered. Fortunately we were all OK and able to swim to shore after a minute or so. For that first minute it was all I could do to keep my head above water while my arms and legs spasmed.

Before that I was at my parent's house back in the mid-70's, standing on the front porch watching a storm, when lightning hit our well, which was about 10 feet from where I was standing. It was also close to a big hickory tree. I was knocked off my feet from the concussion of the thing, and felt like crap for the rest of the day. My brother and sisters were about 10 feet away from me but inside the house, in the living room, and they were dazed for awhile too.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:40   #16
Kevinr20

There's an episode of "River Monsters" where the soundman gets hit by lightning while in a small boat on a river while the crew was waiting out the storm.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:44   #17
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Oh, I forgot to mention that our living room windows were all blown in from the concussion of that strike. Three big windows, totally smashed, but thankfully the curtains were closed so that contained the flying glass pretty well. My siblings would have been pelted with glass otherwise. Amazing the power of that thunderclap at close range.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:44   #18
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
Very fake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:48   #19
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Sure looks real to me! Look at the burn on the ground the first time he's struck.

If it is fake, it's very well done.
No evidence of rain or a thunderstorm (no wind in the trees etc). Only a couple people walking with umbrellas. There are exactly 2 lightning flashes and they both happen on camera. And it didm''t overexpose the camera at all. A camera with the proper exposure for a dark environment, perfectly exposes the lightening bolt without blowing out the rest of the picture.

686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21   #20
TK-421

It's also interesting when you realize how well a lightning bolt will overload some electronics.

I used to work at a gas station, and I want to say there was like 50 feet between the pumps and the front door. We had a bolt of lightning strike the ground between the pumps and the front door, and it blew some fuses in every single pump, and basically shut us down. The power flickered, almost went out entirely, and there were lots of alarms telling us that every single pump was down for good, with no hopes of restarting them.

People were pissed they couldn't get gas, and it took about two days to get the pumps back up and running again.

Sure was fun being the cashier and having to explain over and over again that a bolt of lightning disabled the pumps and I don't know when they'll be fixed.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning strike