Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 19:08   #1
Glocksanity
Senior Member
 
Glocksanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Man, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,357
USA is winner: Most drugged out country on earth!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...altering-facts

Quote:
#10 In the United States today, prescription painkillers kill more Americans than heroin and cocaine combined.
Quote:
#13 The percentage of women taking antidepressants in America is higher than in any other country in the world.
Quote:
15 In 2010, the average teen in the United States was taking 1.2 central nervous system drugs. Those are the kinds of drugs which treat conditions such as ADHD and depression.
__________________
G21~G26~G30~G34

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Glocksanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 19:46   #2
Kevinr20
Senior Member
 
Kevinr20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: America
Posts: 3,994
I thought this was an Olympics thread.
__________________
Three can keep a secret if two are dead.
Kevinr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 19:53   #3
JohnBT
NRA Patron
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,378
No, it's just another zerohedge thread.
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 19:56   #4
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,848
Reliable statistics don't exist for most of the world and there's plenty of it where nobody can get a prescription drug and women are lucky to even see a doctor.

A whole lot of statistics on crime and such are like that - all they really prove is that we keep better stats and make them more public than the rest of the world.
__________________
Quote:
This is the internet - you will never learn to shoot here.
- Me, 2014.

Last edited by Bren; 02-16-2014 at 07:24..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:13   #5
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 12,961
Not all MDs can be surgeons. So for those who are not, nothing wrong with making money from prescriptions.

And let's be honest, thank g-d we live in a country wealthy enough that over-prescription of medication is even a problem.
__________________
Although many good citizens in your community may own and carry guns, keeping the community safe still fall on those who carry badges.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 20:25   #6
snerd
Senior Member
 
snerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,942
If the overall benefits still outweigh the risks, I say thank God we live in America where it's still possible to get those meds!!!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:52   #7
wjv
Senior Member
 
wjv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Reliable statistics don't exist for most of the world
Russians just use Vodka. . .
__________________
Bill
Pacific NW


The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:58   #8
elsolo
Senior Member
 
elsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: socal
Posts: 12,252
You guys act like USA is the only nation that isn't a third world hell hole, it's not.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:58   #9
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 24,027


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
No, it's just another zerohedge thread.

Zerohedge: the Infowars of investing. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 17:31   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
You guys act like USA is the only nation that isn't a third world hell hole, it's not.
Of course it isn't - there's Northern Europe, Japan and parts of Australia and Canada.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
This is the internet - you will never learn to shoot here.
- Me, 2014.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 00:25   #11
dhoomonyou
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: florida
Posts: 5,039
Blog Entries: 1
Yes
Were number one.....

Hookers and blow
__________________
Big Dawg # 1190
40SW # 259
Florida Glockers Club # 711
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
dhoomonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 14:34   #12
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts
 
Brian Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Up a tree.
Posts: 8,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerd View Post
If the overall benefits still outweigh the risks, I say thank God we live in America where it's still possible to get those meds!!!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
But what if it turned out that those pills were a scam that did more harm than good for the majority of those who take them? Then would it still be a great thing?

The evidence is growing every day that "more harm than good" is exactly what a lot of those drugs are doing, yet they are still be over prescribed by doctors who KNOW THAT, but don't care as long as we have a system where you can make more profit by making people sicker, than you can by making them better. The medical industry is one of the few (aside from lawyers) that can actually do more harm than good for a customer, and then still get paid for doing it.

Last edited by Brian Lee; 02-17-2014 at 14:35..
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 15:39   #13
snerd
Senior Member
 
snerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
But what if it turned out that those pills were a scam that did more harm than good for the majority of those who take them? Then would it still be a great thing?

The evidence is growing every day that "more harm than good" is exactly what a lot of those drugs are doing, yet they are still be over prescribed by doctors who KNOW THAT, but don't care as long as we have a system where you can make more profit by making people sicker, than you can by making them better. The medical industry is one of the few (aside from lawyers) that can actually do more harm than good for a customer, and then still get paid for doing it.
I don't know the answer. The many stupid laws they have enacted are just making it harder for the legitimate user to obtain their medication, while the druggies are having no problem getting it from other sources. I mean, there is just no common sense anymore. There are more laws now regulating narcotics than say, 30 years ago, but the illicit drug trade is just as big and probably bigger! So, should we deprive everyone of what they need just to stop the dealers and illegal users?! That doesn't make any sense! I know a few people with serious injuries and conditions that absolutely require stronger meds to keep them functional, myself included. Living with excruciating pain is no walk in the park, and some of today's meds are a Godsend to many of us.
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 15:46   #14
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 15,078


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post
USA is winner: Most drugged out country on earth!
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...altering-facts
This just tells me that we have more disposable income than the rest of the world.

__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 15:57   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 57,725


Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoomonyou View Post
Yes
Were number one.....

Hookers and blow
Hell yeah!!!
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:06   #16
Glocksanity
Senior Member
 
Glocksanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Man, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerd View Post
If the overall benefits still outweigh the risks, I say thank God we live in America where it's still possible to get those meds!!!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I guess you didn't read the parts about how prescription pain killers are responsible for more over dose deaths than heroin and cocaine combined?

Suicides are sky rocketing and guess what? They are a side effect of anti-depressants!

U.S Teens are 3 times more likely to be prescribed anti-depressants that Europeans teens? You think that is good?

We have a drug problem in the U.S. It has dumbed us down. Is that too hard to admit?
__________________
G21~G26~G30~G34

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Glocksanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:13   #17
snerd
Senior Member
 
snerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post
I guess you didn't read the parts about how prescription pain killers are responsible for more over dose deaths than heroin and cocaine combined?

Suicides are sky rocketing and guess what? They are a side effect of anti-depressants!

U.S Teens are 3 times more likely to be prescribed anti-depressants that Europeans teens? You think that is good?

We have a drug problem in the U.S. It has dumbed us down. Is that too hard to admit?
What druggies choose to do has no bearing on my medical treatment. Is that too hard to understand?

ETA: I misread your post. I'm talking about legitimate pain meds, not anti-depressants.

Last edited by snerd; 02-17-2014 at 16:15..
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:13   #18
Gareth68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Missouri....West of Mexico
Posts: 3,706
Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68


As long as hypocrites can pop their necessary prescription painkillers and in the next breath rant about illegal drug users, all is right in the world.

Because, hey, they don;t get high....they have a prescription, and they are just fine owning a gun and driving a car.

Now if we could just get rid of those damn weed smoking hippie scum.
__________________
Repent Harlequin said The Ticktock Man; you're a non-conformist.
Gareth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:17   #19
Dave514
Senior Member
 
Dave514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USSA
Posts: 9,753
People have been taught from a very young age that taking drugs is ok. The press on illegal drugs... that says one thing. But from a person 's earliest memories they remember taking medicine for one thing or another. The US has consumed 50%+ of all the worlds medication for years. Everything is about addressing symptoms. Rarely about getting to the cause. We've been brought up this way.
__________________
I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll

Last edited by Dave514; 02-17-2014 at 16:18..
Dave514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 16:19   #20
snerd
Senior Member
 
snerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth68 View Post
As long as hypocrites can pop their necessary prescription painkillers and in the next breath rant about illegal drug users, all is right in the world.

Because, hey, they don;t get high....they have a prescription, and they are just fine owning a gun and driving a car.

Now if we could just get rid of those damn weed smoking hippie scum.
Yes, "necessary" being the key word. So, I guess I'm an easier target than ranting to the doctors writing all the bad prescriptions. I'm just a small fry that has had 2 major back surgeries and have to take meds for the pain. Sorry if that bothers you.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:14.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 938
265 Members
673 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31