Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:00   #1
txstate08

Light strike misfire/Ghost 3.5

I bought my Glock 17 Gen 4 about 3 months ago and put a few hundred rounds through it with no problems. I installed a Ghost 3.5 connector along with all brand new springs. I put another 100 rounds through it without any issues.
But then after those first 100 rounds I have been getting several misfires. On two separate occasions with three different types of ammo I have been having close to ten misfires per 100 rounds. What could be the issue here? Should I go back and swap out any particular spring that I changed with the Ghost connector or should I change them all? I have disassembled and cleaned it twice since making the conversion so I don't think it is dirty. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by txstate08; 02-11-2014 at 09:04..
txstate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:13   #2
The Viking

Anytime you meddle with the trigger you are liable to get light strikes. You did not say what ammo you are using.
My Glocks with a Vanek competition trigger will give light strikes with Wolf ammo. This also true of Glocks that I have with a Travis Haley Skimmer trigger, which is supposed to be a duty trigger. Wolf has hard primers. However, both Vanek competition and Travis Haley skimmer triggers will fire Blazer aluminum easily with no light strikes.
My Glocks with factory triggers, however, will eat Wolf all day long without any light strikes. You will have to find ammo that will not give you light strikes and stick to it.
Perhaps someone else here can suggest a better remedy.
The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:19   #3
CADguy

I'd be less inclined to blame the trigger, trigger spring or connector for a light primer hit. IMHO, your firing pin spring should be at least the 5# OEM or a 6# extra power. If you're actually firing out of battery (dangerous), you could also suspect your recoil spring.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:23   #4
tager

Morning txstate08;

Personally I would start by re-installing the stock Glock connector, or at least a Glock (.) connector.

I have had nothing but problems with Ghost connectors lately & they won't even return my E-Mails.

Some lower pull weight aftermarket connectors can reduce firing pin power as the connector forces the trigger bar to release the striker earlier in the pull stroke (before enough spring compression)

tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:30   #5
CADguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Some lower pull weight aftermarket connectors can reduce firing pin power as the connector forces the trigger bar to release the striker earlier in the pull stroke (before enough spring compression)

Morning Tager

I could see where this might happen with Ghost's EVO Elite or their Edge connectors because the edge the trigger bar rides is further forward. The OP didn't say which one he has, though. The usual Ghost 3.5, Rocket, Ultimate, etc. connectors don't have this short-cocking problem, I believe.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39   #6
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate08 View Post
I bought my Glock 17 Gen 4 about 3 months ago and put a few hundred rounds through it with no problems. I installed a Ghost 3.5 connector along with all brand new springs. I put another 100 rounds through it without any issues.
But then after those first 100 rounds I have been getting several misfires. On two separate occasions with three different types of ammo I have been having close to ten misfires per 100 rounds. What could be the issue here? Should I go back and swap out any particular spring that I changed with the Ghost connector or should I change them all? I have disassembled and cleaned it twice since making the conversion so I don't think it is dirty. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
I would change back the springs one at a time starting with the firing pin spring and you may find the problem part. I bet it works perfectly when you are completely back to stock!
ChrisJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22   #7
sciolist

If the gun is going into battery, I would suspect the FP spring. A #5 FP spring should consistently set off most ammo, and it sounds like you did not have problems before.

A #4 FP spring and moderately hard primers would probably give about a 10% failure rate.

Make sure the gun is safely going into battery, then try verified fresh #5 and #6 FP springs.

If you want to use a #4 spring, you’ll need to use Federal primers.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38   #8
Mike-M

Quote:
I bought my Glock 17 Gen 4 about 3 months ago and put a few hundred rounds through it with no problems. I installed a Ghost 3.5 connector along with all brand new springs...But then after those first 100 rounds I have been getting several misfires.
The single most important spring controlling the weight of trigger pull is the firing pin spring...a stronger FP spring causes a heavier trigger pull. The standard Glock FP spring is 24 newtons, or 5.5 lbf. Although Glock makes two stronger FP springs (28 newton/6.3 lbf and 31 newton/7 lbf), they make none that are weaker because a weaker firing pin spring makes cartridge ignition less likely. That's very bad if your Glock is a weapon, regardless of any positive effect it is perceived to have on trigger pull.

Only the aftermarket sells FP springs weaker than 5.5 lbf for use in non-critical range-toy applications. The two most commonly encountered values are 5 lbf and 4 lbf. It's very likely that you installed a 4 lbf FP spring, and that is very likely the principal cause of your misfires. Even a 5 lbf FP spring is less certain of satisfactory performance than the stock FP spring, but obviously it's much better than the 4 lbf variety.
Mike-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47   #9
txstate08

Thank you all for your responses. To answer some of the questions that arose:

Ammo: Winchester white box, Tulane steel, and Hornady Critical Defense

Ghost Connector:3.5 Ultimate with the complete trigger kit

When going back and looking at the Ghost site I did find:
"Please Note: The 4.0 lb Firing Pin Spring may cause light primer strikes in some pistols this is the Target/Sport configuration."

I will start with the FP spring and move on from there.

I do have one last question though. I have only been shooting pistols for a little over a year and just started IDPA so I am pretty green. What does it mean to fire out of battery?
txstate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47   #10
JohnnyTactical305

I believe one of the springs in the Ghost spring kit is lighter and is for range use only.
JohnnyTactical305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:55   #11
CADguy

Quote:
I do have one last question though. I have only been shooting pistols for a little over a year and just started IDPA so I am pretty green. What does it mean to fire out of battery?
The slide isn't all the way back in position leaving the barrel not locked up at the breechface.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:55   #12
tager

Quote:
. What does it mean to fire out of battery?

Means to fire with the slide not FULLY forward or fully closed.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:45   #13
34Gee

As others have said, the FP spring is likely the culprit. I say this from experience.

Edit: One other thing to note if you also replaced the trigger spring; make sure that your trigger fully resets and that the trigger safety properly engages. Mine on my Gen 4 G17 did not and luckily I caught it during dry fire.
I ended up putting all springs back to stock and have since stopped any tinkering.

Last edited by 34Gee; 02-11-2014 at 11:51..
34Gee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghost, misfire