SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2014, 19:12   #1
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

winter storm .

well the south getting hit again . this time with ice for our area of NC , tomorrow and tomorrow night gonna start and word is we will lose power and possible up til 4 days .

so everyone in the south stay safe . we are prepared as much as possible.
Old 02-10-2014, 19:15   #2
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

The South will rise again, unless there is more than an inch of snow.

Stay home, stay safe.
Old 02-10-2014, 19:25   #3
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Even us northern types who are used to a lot of snow have problems with ice storms. Good luck, stay safe.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:26   #4
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

I saw a Southerner on the road today. We had an inch of snow on the ground. That's a blizzard to you folk in Atl.

Guy was on bare road in some sort of full size truck. . .

4WD engaged. He took a turn and the wheels were bucking. Lol

Better safe than sorry, tho.
Old 02-10-2014, 19:36   #5
DonMerlin

Save your Dixie cups, the south will rise again.

"I think I will retire and move back up north where they know how to drive in the snow"
NOT!
DonMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:47   #6
costanza187
I like Macs

Ice is nasty stuff, we were without power 11 days a few years ago. Not fun!
Old 02-10-2014, 19:48   #7
RedTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
I saw a Southerner on the road today. We had an inch of snow on the ground. That's a blizzard to you folk in Atl.

Guy was on bare road in some sort of full size truck. . .

4WD engaged. He took a turn and the wheels were bucking. Lol

Better safe than sorry, tho.
Most likely a repatriated, second-generation transplant from Yankee-dom who had his first 4x4. All Wool-grays down here know not to run that dry.

I do like your capitaliztion of the S in Southerner. It shows respect.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:52   #8
byf43
NRA Life Member

"Possible significant winter storm coming here, Wednesday night and through the day on Thursday."

Let it snow.
We've got T.P., milk, bread and FiOS.
The oil tank is full. We have firewood.

We have vacation time on the books.

Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow.

My old, tired __________ (self) can wait it out.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:58   #9
meathead19

Schools already cancelled here for tomorrow and roads are damp. That's it, they're damp....not wet. Damp.

I'm guessing the curtain climbers will be out till Friday, maybe Monday.

meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:04   #10
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
My wife is flying home from Atlanta tonight. First the plane was leaving at 6:30PM, then 8 something, now 10:45PM, if at all.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:08   #11
THEPOPE
Nibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgraywolf View Post
Even us northern types who are used to a lot of snow have problems with ice storms. Good luck, stay safe.
True that, we are used to this, but even though a bit of snow can be dealt with, ice is sooo unforgiving and un predictable, steep learning curve on that stuff....

Every year I practice in empty lots to get a feel for sliding around, but I've had stuff happen on the roads that slip so fast it's nearly impossible to recover from....stay safe, folks....slooowww down....

This season, we are way above the average for the area...over 2x as much...23 inches to 50 some inches, and it ain't over yet...

I am out...sick and frickin' tired of shoveling this and dodging ice...spring can't come soon enough, nor better appreciated than this year...

the Pope with most....Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
THEPOPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:19   #12
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead19 View Post
Schools already cancelled here for tomorrow and roads are damp. That's it, they're damp....not wet. Damp.

I'm guessing the curtain climbers will be out till Friday, maybe Monday.

It didn't go so well for you all last time, better to be safe.
The Okie Corral

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:20   #13
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPOPE View Post

This season, we are way above the average for the area...over 2x as much...23 inches to 50 some inches, and it ain't over yet...

I am out...sick and frickin' tired of shoveling this and dodging ice...spring can't come soon enough, nor better appreciated than this year...
170" here so far, and I'm loving it. I've been on either alpine or nordic skis pretty much every day since late November.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:23   #14
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

`The snow actually could begin Tuesday in the Charlotte area, with 1 or 2 inches possibly accumulating during the day. But the main part of the storm system, due Wednesday, could bring up to 8 inches of snow and a coating of ice to Charlotte. Damaging accumulations of ice are possible not far to the southeast of the city, and forecasters say a major ice storm is looming for parts of South Carolina and central North Carolina.
“Charlotte could be hit with a heavy amount of both snow and ice,” said Kristina Pydynowski`
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Just in case..The Okie Corral.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:27   #15
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Hmmm i fly through Atlanta Wed around 6pm. I am sure that will go great...
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:44   #16
snubfan
Giant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPOPE View Post

....Every year I practice in empty lots to get a feel for sliding around....
LIAR!!! You're not doing it for "practice", you're doing it because it's a blast and it's still that same out of control feeling you had when you were 16 years old!!!

I'm 43 and I still whip into empty lots whenever I get a chance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
snubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 21:06   #17
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by costanza187 View Post
Ice is nasty stuff, we were without power 11 days a few years ago. Not fun!
From the windstorm from the leftover hurricane (Ike was it?). Luckily we were only without power for maybe half the day. My boss lives up the road and his was out for 7 days.

Or did you get that bad ice storm that was south of here?

Last edited by 686Owner; 02-10-2014 at 21:06..
686Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 22:02   #18
plp

WARNING, POLITICAL RANT!!!

I'm an Alabama redneck, while born in Indiana, have hailed from the South all but the first 6 months of my life. I'm a construction gypsy, due to the fact I can't support my family in a sustainable manner locally due to economy, and have spent the past 30 years on the road, wherever someone needs a power plant, military base, refinery, or major industrial development built.

I have multiple jobs I can't discuss, due to signed confidentiality agreements, and have 7 cards in my wallet that required people in black suits question my neighbors.

I am willing to do whatever is required, to see that I provide me and mine with the best I can. That mindset has a lot to do with why I post on this website.

Today, at 5:45 AM, I sat on the side of the road in Sioux City, Iowa in -10° temps and rounded up several noobs for orientation at a construction site. While doing so, I observed car tags entering the facility.

Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Virginia and Iowa, in order of frequency. I saw exactly 3 Iowa tags. This is on a job site with over 600 personnel.

At the bar tonight, I was one of three rednecks in a crowd of probably fifty. Two from Alabama, and one from Louisiana.

I am a gregarious type, find good people everywhere, and tonight was no exception, lots of genuinely decent folks out for a good time. While an introvert by nature, I"m also an optimist and look for the best in people, and am rarely disappointed.

I asked everyone I talked to about the weather, and here is the general consensus, from November to April they drink beer, have sex, and draw unemployment. Their goal is to produce Democrats in numbers to sustain their way of life. That is 6 months out of the year, devoted to decadence and debauchery.

My mother is from Iowa, and I remember coming to her hometown as a kid. Farmers all, hard workers, traditionalists and fiercely independent. Very conservative, while no idea about their politics, would believe they did not approve of LBJ and waved flags when Nixon took office.

Enter the 1970's, and farm subsidies. Subversion took hold, the short term fix to pay the mortgage and crop loans perverted the long term value system, and by the 1990's they went from red to blue.

What does this have to do with winter storms? Just my observation, that today's political climate dictates that desperate Southerners must travel 1200 miles from home, to work in sub zero temps, to provide sustinance for native Iowans so they do not have to leave the comfort of their hearth to earn their daily bread.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 22:24   #19
THEPOPE
Nibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgraywolf View Post
170" here so far, and I'm loving it. I've been on either alpine or nordic skis pretty much every day since late November.

holy Cod, man...you're in ground zero for lake effect snow....unreal, couldn't deal with that....

out...shivering...

Old 02-10-2014, 22:27   #20
THEPOPE
Nibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubfan View Post
LIAR!!! You're not doing it for "practice", you're doing it because it's a blast and it's still that same out of control feeling you had when you were 16 years old!!!

I'm 43 and I still whip into empty lots whenever I get a chance!
lol...caught....I tell young-uns to go to the lot and have some fun...best way to see what your vehicle will do...

IT'S A BLAST>>>>>so true, snubfan......out...