Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:22   #26
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by vote Republican View Post
The problem for '16 is the same as it was for '08 and '12 - very few well know, electable, good quality Republican candidates who are willing to run. And everyone is ready to tear down those who do, or they do it to themselves.
Agree.

People with sufficient talent to do the job well, would rather take their skills to the private sector, and escape the 'sliming' that comes with being in politics ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25   #27
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
I never considered him a Republican, and America won't vote in a grossly obese individual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
why not? the honey boo boo clan is prime time viewing...

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:36   #28
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
The problem for '16 is the same as it was for '08 and '12 - very few well know, electable, good quality Republican candidates who are willing to run. And everyone is ready to tear down those who do, or they do it to themselves.
I agree on the first part. I also think the GOP is not working to promote candidates based on ideals...but instead, they are focused on 'how do we move to the center to win'.

On the latter part, I don't think we've had any "good quality" candidates to tear down. I suppose we'll see what candidates emerge over this year; however I'm not sure it matters now. Not to be too pessimistic, but I think the last election showed us that the parasites in this country now outnumber the hosts. I'm convinced that at this stage, we're just going to watch the slow demise of this country.

It's like watching a drug addict - it boils down to direction chosen after or near they've gone through a horrible self-destructive phase. In the case of this country, we cannot continue spending what we don't have. Eventually, we either realize the damage and work to recover...or we cease to be a nation. I don't think that will happen overnight...heck, it may not happen for generations. However I don't see how we avoid reaching that state if we don't change now. And this country is too elated over the sensation of spend, spend, spend.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:36   #29
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Chris Christie Going Down Fast

Hey Chris,

Now that Comrade Zero is no longer available for bromantic walks on the Nuevo Herzey shore, I guess it's back to the dating game for you:

When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:15   #30
Michael Rye

Quote:

I have thought about this a lot, and I've come to a rather depressing conclusion.

Frankly, I don't think it matters who the GOP runs anymore. Ours has become a nation of people who want things and who want someone else to pay for them. It's not any more complicated than that.

In '08, McCain was the nominee. In '12, it was Romney. Conventional wisdom is that neither candidate was attractive enough to get the conservative base out to vote. That's probably an accurate assessment.

But what's being missed in all this is that there just isn't that much of a conservative base anymore. We are a shrinking demographic, unfortunately.

The people who want free stuff are outnumbering those who believe that you need to be productive in life.

Maybe the American people have just reached their saturation point as far as happiness is concerned. Maybe all it takes for people to be content anymore is a smart phone and a car to drive around in. Who knows?

Most of us who post here know ultimately where all that ends, but the average person out there is clueless and too distracted to really care.

Last edited by Michael Rye; 01-19-2014 at 12:12.. Reason: grammar screwup
Michael Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 16:54   #31
RHVEtte

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
Agree.

People with sufficient talent to do the job well, would rather take their skills to the private sector, and escape the 'sliming' that comes with being in politics ...

Yep. How's that saying go? Anyone smart enough to be President is too smart to want to be?
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 18:00   #32
SJ 40

I wish he would just Go already and don't let the door hit him in the backside on the way Out. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 18:19   #33
Bruce H

Don't worry the gas bag will float to the top again and again.
Old 01-19-2014, 21:56   #34
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Who do we think the GOP will run, then?
Does it really matter? A solid majority of Republicans are now blinding voting for bipartisan bills they haven't read. Scandals are investigated for a couple days then swept under the rug. When the NSA one popped up, almost every D.C. Republican flat out told us to shut up and leave them alone. They're barely pretending to be a separate party anymore.

It's almost universally seen that there are enough Republican votes for full-blown amnesty to pass. How long do expect the bipartisan Government Party to stand by while amnestied illegals are highlighted as second-class citizens who have taxation without representation? Giving them the right to vote will be the only fair thing to do...at least for the ones that haven't already exploited motor-voter laws and bans on ID checks at polling booths.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:15   #35
vote Republican
White and nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
I agree on the first part. I also think the GOP is not working to promote candidates based on ideals...but instead, they are focused on 'how do we move to the center to win'.
I think the winning strategy is to nominate a principled conservative with a moderate personality. What I mean by this is someone who talks about how his/her ideas will help people and help the nation, etc. The Tea Party started out with a good idea of reining in spending that was out of control. Libertarians have great points about how the government is too big. But both groups seem to attract people, and candidates, who seem to - I'm not even sure exactly how to say it, but you just read some speeches and go "uh, no...."

I think the next nominee has to be an executive who has actual governing experience. That means they have a track record, and it may not be perfect, but that's how gov works sometimes. Christie looked like he could be that guy for a while, but for me he got a bit too cozy, made some policy pronouncements that many conservatives couldn't be happy with, and then the scandal.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36   #36
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
...Not to be too pessimistic, but I think the last election showed us that the parasites in this country now outnumber the hosts...

We've been down this road on other threads here. The numbers simply don't back up this assertion. I've posted them in at least 2 threads in this forum.

It's a bit of a copout answer, honestly. "Well, we can't win, so let's just stop trying."
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:45   #37
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
Does it really matter? A solid majority of Republicans are now blinding voting for bipartisan bills they haven't read. Scandals are investigated for a couple days then swept under the rug. When the NSA one popped up, almost every D.C. Republican flat out told us to shut up and leave them alone. They're barely pretending to be a separate party anymore.

It's almost universally seen that there are enough Republican votes for full-blown amnesty to pass. How long do expect the bipartisan Government Party to stand by while amnestied illegals are highlighted as second-class citizens who have taxation without representation? Giving them the right to vote will be the only fair thing to do...at least for the ones that haven't already exploited motor-voter laws and bans on ID checks at polling booths.

So, what's the plan? Give up?
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 19:43   #38
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
So, what's the plan? Give up?
Not give up, just have the moral courage to let go of past assumptions, objectively assess current realities on a frequent basis, and plan your life based on the very realistic assumption that nothing will be fixed by normal political methods anymore.
Old 01-20-2014, 21:35   #39
Michael Rye

No, never give up. There's always hope. Just temper hope with realism. Until the American people are really hurting as a result of not paying attention, nothing substantial is going to change. And no, they haven't learned their lesson yet.

It is going to take generations to turn this back around. In the meantime keep doing what you can to elect competent representatives.

Be optimistic, but realistic. This will be a very long haul.
Old 01-20-2014, 22:55   #40
HarleyGuy

I never believed (and still don't) that Christie would be able to get the nomination, let alone win the General Election.

In some poles, Huckabee seems to be doing well and there's talk about Jeb Bush thinking about running.
The other possible candidates; Paul, Cruz, Rubio and Ryan.
From this list, I'd think that Ryan might have the edge if he can be one of the first out of the gate.

In reality, we have to get past the '14 elections and that will be a good indicator of how the Presidential may lean but I have a feeling that the R's may have an advantage in both elections.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016, christie, jersey