Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:26   #1
jlsesq

+p

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a Glock 21. Is Hornady .45Auto +P safe to use. Considering for HD.
jlsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:28   #2
FireMedic-50
RTF2 Geek

yes. yes, it is
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15   #3
Kentguy

jlsesq,

Short answer... Yes.

Tested out of my G21;

Hornady .45 AUTO "Custom" factory ammunition
230g XTP HP +P
Velocity - Box listed @ 950 fps/my 6 shot avg = 887.6 fps
Standard Deviation = 6.58027
OAL - 1.230"

Just a tad bit snappy (not really that bad) but that is to be expected in a +P round. Your Glock barrel (octagonal) can handle that all day long.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:29   #4
Wil Terry

YOU SHOULD READ the manual that came with your pistol, Sir.
Wil Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:06   #5
Kentguy

Wil Terry,

Now although it is true that running +P ammo will ware your barrel down more rapidly than lead or FMJ bullets. However unless you shoot and enormous amount rounds per month for the next 5 to 10 years, you nor I will never ware out a glock barrel.

The simple fact of the matter is that was put there to cover their kiesters (legally).
Old 11-04-2013, 13:34   #6
jlsesq

No manual

Will, agreed but I bought the 21 used and it did not come with a manual. Nor does the website address using +P. The idea is to have a mag loaded with the Hornady only for HD use not for target shooting.
jlsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:48   #7
cfrye11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
Wil Terry,

Now although it is true that running +P ammo will ware your barrel down more rapidly than lead or FMJ bullets. However unless you shoot and enormous amount rounds per month for the next 5 to 10 years, you nor I will never ware out a glock barrel.

The simple fact of the matter is that was put there to cover their kiesters (legally).
I have never herd this before. Why would you compare +p to lead or fmj. +p is not a bullet its a load with more powder and every glock is approved for the increase in pressure this creates. Increased pressure has nothing to do with barrel wear.

molan labe
cfrye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 15:07   #8
Kentguy

jlsesq "...The idea is to have a mag loaded with the Hornady only for HD use not for target shooting."

This is exactly the point, to use a +P round for self defense purposes only, will have no effect on a Glock barrel. Because after all how many of those will you be running through your G21 anyway?

cfrye11 "... Why would you compare +p to lead or fmj." The reference was pointing at target loads not a specific bullet.

Good Lord folks step back and take a breath.
Old 11-04-2013, 15:40   #9
glowrod
Fightin' Fire

All my pistols run better on +P.
Old 11-04-2013, 15:59   #10
Syclone0538

If I planned on shooting only +P, I'd probably get a slightly heavier recoil spring.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 18:54   #11
Trigger Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrye11 View Post
I have never herd this before. Why would you compare +p to lead or fmj. +p is not a bullet its a load with more powder and every glock is approved for the increase in pressure this creates. Increased pressure has nothing to do with barrel wear.

molan labe

I am no expert but I did reload allot some time ago and when you say that "Increased pressure has nothing to do with barrel wear" I think you are mistaken!

What happens is the hot gasses create "heat checking" in the throat and bore of the barrel. Often this is combined with nitriding and causes enough erosion to affect accuracy. More gas = more pressure = more heat. Even unburnt powder being "sandblasted" against the throat/bore causes erosion.
And the higher the pressure the more this is increased!

You will still get many thousands of rounds of +P rounds through a barrel but the +P loads does cause more erosion.
I am no expert but this is what was taught to me by several very knowledgeable reloaders and this in my educated opinion. The +P loads also puts more stress on the slide and frame thus more powerful recoil springs are helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Trigger Finger; 11-04-2013 at 18:55..
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 23:30   #12
WinterWizard

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Is+%2BP+okay+in+a+Glock+21%3F
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:07   #13
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsesq View Post
The idea is to have a mag loaded with the Hornady only for HD use not for target shooting.
You are planning on running a few mags of the +p through it at the range, aren't you?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:17   #14
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsesq View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a Glock 21. Is Hornady .45Auto +P safe to use. Considering for HD.
Yes. Your 21 is good to go with +P. Keep in mind if you feed it a steady diet of +P, things will require maintenance sooner that it would without as is the case with any firearm.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:32   #15
vafish

RTFM.

If you don't have one you can download one in PDF format from several web sites.

The simple answer is, shoot all the +p you want out of your Glock, it won't hurt a thing and you will be broke from buying +p ammo before you wear the gun out with it.

The Glock manual states that you can use any SAAMI or NATO spec ammo. +p .45 ACP is a SAAMI spec if made by a SAAMI member company.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 19:51   #16
ChiefWPD

Guys, just a general comment. You're not going to wear out a barrel of a modern center fire, mainstream manufacture handgun. Furthermore, the odds of you wearing out a firearms mechanism is so remote as to be of little concern.

Just do the math; how many rounds are you putting down range on a regular basis and how many rounds would it take to "wear out" a barrel or handgun.

A 1911 of good quality should go somewhere around 10,000 rounds between weapon overhauls. A Glock, over 100,000 rounds.

Just sayin'