Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:14   #41
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
How do you get to where you camp?
I haven't in a while. As stated before, as it gets cold/wet/nasty it is so easy for me sit inside warm and dry and work so I can play on nice days. I am just not a cold winter person, but I want this skill set.

I use to hunt in a shack and I really didn't see any need in building a fire. But this was car camping. I took a lot more than I could carry.

Now...I am thinking I will drive to a spot get on the bicycle. I will bicycle in away from people 5+ miles then setup camp. The worst part of this plan is I know I will get hot and sweaty in parts and other parts will be cold by the time I get to a camping site. There is just no way around it. The good part is I can still take more than I can carry, but not nearly as much as car camping.

Besides just surviving while I am out there I will probably grab the camera and see what I can shoot.
Old 11-05-2013, 20:14   #42
I Shooter

The only camping I do in the winter is to hunt. As far as camping in the summer I take a travel trailer with me. It has AC and all the other things like home.

For winter camping I use a four season ten, a flannel liner for my sleeping bag, and all sorts of light weight camping stuff.

I hunt in Daniel Boon Forest in Kentucky. Last time I was there I had 4" of snow on the tent and wet boots. I had to hike to the truck and change my boots to stay in the hunt. After I got my feet warmed back up I was good to go.

No problems with camping in the Winter if you can just stay dry. We get a lot of wet snows around that time of year. It may be twenty at night then go up to forty or better in the day time. It is best when it just gets cold and stays cold. You don't have to fight the wet that way.

Last edited by I Shooter; 11-07-2013 at 04:03..
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:58   #43
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shooter View Post
...I hunt in Daniel Boone Forest in Kentucky.,.
If you're going to talk about uncle Dan'l, please spell his name correctly. (My 90-year-old dad still lives in kentucky.)

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:02   #44
I Shooter

Please for give me I have always had problems spelling. I have people that live in Manchester and London Kentucky.
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:02   #45
quake

Quote:
Please for give me I have always had problems spelling. I have people that live in Manchester and London Kentucky.
No forgiveness needed; hence the "" in my post. Just saw it as an excuse to toss out my (distant) relation to Daniel Boone.

There's not a whole lot of nodes in my family tree that I'd brag about...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 13:54   #46
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I found this. I think these guys are serious about there winter camping.

http://www.backpacking.net/wintertips.html
Old 11-07-2013, 14:25   #47
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Good info there.

Something else, when sleeping in the cold like that, boil some water, then put it back in your nalgene or what ever water bottle, and it will keep you warm for hours. Good trick for keeping the wife/gf going out with you. Do the same thing in the morning and you can put on a set of toasty warm boots.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:37   #48
757CC

I enjoy winter camping in the mountains. Plus the dogs love it. Last winter spent 5 nights tent camping in a state park. It was almost completely empty, besides the park ranger and one other hiker we had the park to ourselves. At night it got down into the single digits but the dogs kept me plenty warm. As long as you have the proper equipment it's great!
757CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 21:39   #49
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

A good woman to share your tent... bag... with would be helpful.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 21:56   #50
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

I camped a few times in the snow.
Mostly my usual gear, plus bulky insulation, sleeping pad, more serious layers and stove.
Some no-cook food in case of stove failure.

Once at a slightly more civilized campground there were electrical outlets. Some guy knew about this, and added an electric blanket and some Christmas lights to his tent.
Damn show-off.
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 22:03   #51
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Last time I was there I had 4" of snow on the tent and wet boots. I had to hike to the truck and change my boots to stay in the hunt. After I got my feet warmed back up I was good to go.

No problems with camping in the Winter if you can just stay dry. We get a lot of wet snows around that time of year. It may be twenty at night then go up to forty or better in the day time. It is best when it just gets cold and stays cold. You don't have to fight the wet that way.
Gaiters are great for keeping snow out of boots, and keeping pant cuffs protected. Some are almost knee high, with Gortex.

I agree, I'd rather be a bit colder and dry than deal with slush and mud, especially when cross-country skiing.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 22:13   #52
TunaFisherman
Halibut Hunter

[QUOTE=ithaca_deerslayer;20733032]Jeans are a problem if they get wet, for sure. The cotton soaks in the moisture from the snow at the cuffs and you start getting soaked throughout, and then your body heat gets drawn away from you.

I doubt he gets much snow in Tampa Florida

Here one must have the most important part of any winter camp....Tarps...
Old 11-07-2013, 23:18   #53
TK-421

My winter camping gear is the same gear I use for summer stuff. I don't have a better tent, I don't have a thicker pad, I don't have a warmer bag. Whatever I need in the summer is all I need in the winter. Back when I used to camp a lot, when I lived in Illinois, the only thing I did different was wear a hat at night to keep my ears warm. Even when it was the teens at night and there was several inches of snow on the ground, I didn't need a sleeping bag warmer than the 40-50* bag I had, and I didn't need a pad bigger than the cheap crappy pad you buy at walmart, that is like 1/2" thick. Maybe I'm just good at dealing with the cold better, since I sleep a lot better when it's cold out. Heck it's been in the low 40s a night or two, and those are the nights I sleep with the window open to try and cool my room down.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 23:48   #54
Lone Kimono

I'm going to need some new pants then. All I have are jeans or snow pants for the cold.

I just purchased these from Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...A#BVRRWidgetID

Last edited by Lone Kimono; 11-08-2013 at 01:20..
Lone Kimono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 00:42   #55
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFisherman View Post
Here one must have the most important part of any winter camp....Tarps...
What kind? (thin nylon, thick poly)
How do you use it?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36   #56
glock_collector

Snowshoed in about 3 mi in waist deep snow, the fluffy kind...a$hitload of work. The nights were about -10 below, in only the clothes we wore walking, no bags, heater ect...do your research you'll do fine.
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04   #57
garyjandfamily

After three decades of wilderness winter skiing and snowshoeing experience (like Kings Peak, the highest mountain in Utah - on New Years Day! Twice!), here are some tips:

1. Sleeping Pads. No matter what you are sleeping on (ground, snow or even a cot), it's cold underneath you! And even though your sleeping bag is nice and fluffy and insulating over you, it's squashed under you. So the pad that puts a layer of insulating air between you and what's under you is critical. I like Thermarest pads.
2. Any insulation will keep warm things warm and cold things cold. So if you go to bed cold, it'll take a long time to warm up that sleeping bag. So take a brisk walk, do jumping jacks, whatever you need to do, but DON'T GO TO BED COLD!
3. I always sleep in thin thermal underwear. It adds a few degrees to the bag rating, and I sleep better if I don't have to worry about cold spots in the bag. And it makes it 100x easier to get up and out in the morning!
4. And now for a secret of the ages, a trick that only Master Winter Campers know. There is nothing worse in this world (well - there are a few things - but they have been outlawed by the Geneva Convention) than getting all settled in your sleeping bag, warm and cozy in the cold winter weather, and having to get up and partially dressed and slog out into the cold and snow to take a wizz! And when you return your bag is icy again and you have to get it warmed up again. The master secret is this - I always have an empty one-liter wide-mouthed pop bottle near my sleeping bag. It is well marked and a different shape than my water bottles. So there is no mistaking it, even in the dark. Makes the midnight trip to the urinal much shorter! (I always use a Mountain Dew bottle if I'm camping with the Boy Scouts. The expression on their faces when I dump it into a snow drift in the morning is priceless!!)

So there are a few hints! Maybe I'll post some photos tonight and add some more hints if I think of any...

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
garyjandfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 17:40   #58
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
A good woman
I have been looking for one of those for a long time...
Old 12-03-2013, 19:54   #59
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I am having a stuff sack issue.

I have a Big Agnes Gunn Creek 30 Degree Sleeping Bag Long.
Stuff Size 8 in. X 17.5 in.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28727

I have a The North Face Blue Kazoo 15 Degree Down
6.5 in. x 21 in.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___58712

The Kazoo fits inside the Gunn. I figure even sleeping cold, I should be very warm in this setup.

My issue is that I don't have a stuff sack large enough for this combo of bags.
Old 12-03-2013, 23:23   #60
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshooter10 View Post
This is incorrect. Your (high quality) sleeping bag is built to keep you warmest in little or no clothing. A "base layer" insulates some body parts from others and will result in you being cold. A sleeping bag works by creating a pocket of warm air around your body. Clothes can affect the way your bag fits and restrict blood flow...keeping you colder.

Moisture, read sweat, inside the bag is also a no go and can kill you in crappy circumstances. The only downside to sleeping in the buff is that it will make your bag dirty faster.

So, make sure your clothes are not dirty and get into the bag dressed. Undress when in the bag and keep your clothes in the bag with you. This will keep them warm for morning or the late night call of nature.

You'll be warmer and enjoy a better nights sleep
I agree with you. I've done 14ers with professionals and their advice was along these lines. I have a zero degree bag and when we had wind chill in single digits I was out of my gear tucked away nice and warm. Had I stayed even in my base layer, I would have been a sweaty disaster. That was a more extreme time in my life, and I tend to not camp outdoors in snow by choice.