Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:24   #1
The Viking

Legal Issues and EDC of G 34 or 35

Does any think there would be legal issues with using a G34 or 35 as an EDC?
Does anyone here use the G 34 or 35 as an EDC
The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31   #2
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

Big question that comes to mind, would be Why would you carry that big of a pistol? It would be no different in legal since as putting a -connector on a 23.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23   #3
NMPOPS

Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson8861 View Post
Big question that comes to mind, would be Why would you carry that big of a pistol? It would be no different in legal since as putting a -connector on a 23.
They are about the same size as a full size 1911. Why do you think they are so big?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:32   #4
dosei

From a legal standpoint the only potentially significant issue with the G34 & G35 is the "Competition Only" trigger...namely the "-" connector. The simple addition of the NY1 trigger spring, or swapping out of the connector with a standard one, bring the gun into Glock's recommendations for a carry gun and also makes it on par with the 34/35 that are carried by LEA's such as the Alaska Troopers (edit: Correction...the AST do not issue the G34/35, but the Kentucky State Police do).
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 11-04-2013 at 12:09..
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57   #5
Spiffums
I.C.P.

I don't get all the hype over a Glock with a 4.5 lb trigger. Aren't all "quality" 1911s supposed to have a 4 to 4 1/2 lb trigger?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:16   #6
NMG26

I wish they would quit telling us to carry the largest caliber that you can shoot well, if it is going to be a legal problem. That would my only defense. The doctrine I was taught.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by NMG26; 10-29-2013 at 08:16..
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

A 34/35 is much easier to shoot if you put in a standard 5 lb connector, like my wife did with her competition 34, as long as you actually understand how to use a Glock trigger. So I'd do that and not worry about the lighter trigger. At any rate, modifying the gun to make the trigger lighter is a bigger issue than just having a light factory trigger.

On the other hand, I haven't really found any job the 34 and 35 do better than a 17/22, except maybe log range target shooting, and that isn't a Glock job.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 20:36   #8
MaximaDrvr

There aren't any legal issues with it, and it still has a factory trigger for all the worriers out there. It is the 'competition' model, as it is designed to stay inside the competition size box, unlike the 17L/24.

I carry a G35 or 24 on occasions. Surprised a gun store worker when I showed that i was concealing my 24 without problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Students for Concealed Carry State Director

MaximaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:23   #9
LSP552
Glockdriver

None at all, and it's about the same size as a 1911, just lighter.

Ken
Old 11-02-2013, 10:45   #10
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
None at all, and it's about the same size as a 1911, just lighter.

Ken
Old 11-02-2013, 14:06   #11
SCmasterblaster

I carry a G17 daily.
Old 11-02-2013, 14:18   #12
martin-curtis

I carry a 17 as a primary EDC gun. If I were 8"-9" inches taller, I would have no issue with carrying a 34 as a EDC.
As far as any legal issues, I would see it as some of the other; the "-" connector issue could be a hang-up.
I would carry one stock as sold, my "personal choice." This is only my personal opinion.
Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home
martin-curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:52   #13
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr View Post
There aren't any legal issues with it, and it still has a factory trigger for all the worriers out there. It is the 'competition' model, as it is designed to stay inside the competition size box, unlike the 17L/24.

I carry a G35 or 24 on occasions. Surprised a gun store worker when I showed that i was concealing my 24 without problems.
Unless I'm mistaken doesn't Glock issue a warning against carrying a "competition" trigger configuration for self-defense purposes?

If so, that in and of itself would work against a defender's legal team.
Old 11-03-2013, 15:09   #14
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken doesn't Glock issue a warning against carrying a "competition" trigger configuration for self-defense purposes?

If so, that in and of itself would work against a defender's legal team.
Yes. Glock also revokes the certification of any Glock certified armorer who knowing puts a "-" connector in a persons carry gun. Also, Glock does not sell the 34/35 to LEAs with the competition trigger configuration in them. They put in standard connectors or, if requested, "-" connectors with NY1 triggers. Those are the Glock manufacturer's acceptable/authorized/recommended trigger configurations for a carry/defensive Glock. For an agency to purchase the 34/35 with the competition trigger system, the agency must formally request it in a letter on agency letterhead paper. Yes, Glock views the 34/35 with the "-" connector as a purely competition only gun...their idea of the ultimate "race gun" for IDPA.

This issue has been hashed, re-hashed, re-re-hashed, re-re-re-hashed...ad nauseum:
5 threads, merged and made a "sticky":
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1354205
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 11-04-2013 at 09:57..
Old 11-03-2013, 20:06   #15
HarleyGuy

Although I have a Glock 34, I have never carried if as an EDC strictly because of it's size.
I also have several 1911's in barrel sizes from 3" to 7" and IMHO the trigger on the 1911's (when "cocked and locked") is far more sensitive than my Glock 34 or my Glock 27.
HarleyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 21:22   #16
KY Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
From a legal standpoint the only potentially significant issue with the G34 & G35 is the "Competition Only" trigger...namely the "-" connector. The simple addition of the NY1 trigger spring, or swapping out of the connector with a standard one, bring the gun into Glock's recommendations for a carry gun and also makes it on par with the 34/35 that are carried by LEA's such as the Alaska Troopers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Gen4 Glock 22 the issued sidearm to all of Alaska DPS?
The concentrating [of powers] in the same hands is precisely the definition of despotic government. It will be no alleviation that these powers will be exercised by a plurality of hands, and not by a single one. - Thomas Jefferson
KY Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58   #17
ca survivor

A 35 is in my carry rotation IWB, I did change the extended mad release to a regular one thought, 4.5 is in it, is a factory connector.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:03   #18
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Moose View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Gen4 Glock 22 the issued sidearm to all of Alaska DPS?
My bad...you are not wrong, I am. I had it in my head that the AST issued them, but that is not the case. There are LEAs that do, such as the Kentucky State Police.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10   #19
SouthernBoyVA

Your concern is clearly about the trigger and that is largely going to come down to in which state you live. In my state, what you may have done to the trigger, or the type of trigger on the gun, is not going to matter. As an attorney once told me, "The 800 pound gorilla in the room is going to be whether or not your actions were justifiable, not any modifications you may have made to the trigger." This could also apply to your gun as is in your case.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:33   #20
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
I don't get all the hype over a Glock with a 4.5 lb trigger. Aren't all "quality" 1911s supposed to have a 4 to 4 1/2 lb trigger?
The problem is that JMB never got his panties in a wad about trigger pull weights and took a stance that a 4.5 lb trigger was too light for a carry/defensive handgun of his design. Glock, on the other hand, has taken just that stance. THAT...is the difference.