Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:21   #1
johnchamp

glock magazine question?

hi all im new to glock handguns i bought a new glock model 23 3rd gen. glock magazines are hard to take apart but i heard theres a tool out there called gtul? anyone on here familiar with this product? glock also told me to replace the magazine springs every 2,000 rounds is this correct? thank you any info will be appreciated johnchamp.
johnchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:42   #2
Dave.1

Here's the tool they're talking about. It helps squeeze the base of the magazine so you can slide the base plate off.
http://www.mygtul.com/

I won't contradict the magazine replacement schedule for self defense, but I think you can go longer than that for range use.

Dave

Last edited by Dave.1; 10-27-2013 at 10:43.. Reason: link
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:48   #3
johnchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.1 View Post
Here's the tool they're talking about. It helps squeeze the base of the magazine so you can slide the base plate off.
http://www.mygtul.com/

I won't contradict the magazine replacement schedule for self defense, but I think you can go longer than that for range use.

Dave
yes sir that will be the one. this is easier dave than the traditional way?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:14   #4
Dave.1

Once you get the hang of taking the magazines apart it's not hard to do. There are tabs, one on each side of the magazine and you are compressing them to slide the base plate off.

It is harder to do on the Compact magazines (26,27,33) because shorter magazine flexes less than a G17, for example.

Edit: Looking at the GTUL instructions, I think that if you have problems with hand strength the tool will help you.
http://www.mygtul.com/content/instru...glock-magazine

I never used one but the tool basicly gives you leverage where you would normally apply presure with your thumb/index finger.

Dave

Last edited by Dave.1; 10-27-2013 at 11:32..
Old 10-27-2013, 16:06   #5
johnchamp

yup i might just buy the gtul my hand strenght aint the same as when i was younger.
Old 10-27-2013, 21:52   #6
cciman

Vice grip of the right size, or C-clamp to compress the sidewalls of the mag.

Or just smack it against a hard table top at the correct angle, as you have a punch inserted fully inside the indent hole.

Why are you taking the mags apart???? I've fired over 10K rounds through my mags and have not felt the compunction to take them apart.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 22:53   #7
MotoGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Vice grip of the right size, or C-clamp to compress the sidewalls of the mag.

Or just smack it against a hard table top at the correct angle, as you have a punch inserted fully inside the indent hole.

Why are you taking the mags apart???? I've fired over 10K rounds through my mags and have not felt the compunction to take them apart.
Someone told him to replace the spring at 2K rounds. IDK haven't heard that one before.

But,
If you compete and throw the mag on dirt ground and such its good to take it apart and clean it .

Last edited by MotoGlock; 10-27-2013 at 22:53..
MotoGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57   #8
Dave.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
I go along with that.

Interesting point, in the '90s the Armorer's manual talked about annual maintenance on the magazines. The last Armorer's Manual I saw was from 2002 and they no longer recommended that the magazines be taken apart for regular maintenance.

I suppose being dropped in mud would be a reason to disassemble. Otherwise, even with competition use the springs last a long time.

Dave
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44   #9
johnchamp

wow thank you guys for the advice. ill leave my mags alone till i have a problem with them. i dont shoot often every now & then the instructions glock told me no squeezing on the sides of the mag. only a drift punch to be used to push in the button then slide the buttplate off. thank you for the education fellas
Old 10-28-2013, 14:11   #10
Dave.1

johnchamp, you're probably not going to bother with the magazines for quite a while, but here's a pic of the tabs and corresponding notches on the floor plates.
Gunsmithing

That's why people use the tool, or as cciman suggested, some other way to lightly squeeze the sides. Helps to get the floor plate moving.

Dave
Old 10-30-2013, 18:55   #11
cciman

Over time with repeated dis-assembly, unless you do a good job of compressing the sides, the catch teeth can be worn off or torn, then you're fogged.

BTW the best way to compress is to first insert the punch all the way in to displace the internal plate inside the mag, and hold it there while squeezing the sides-- unless you push it in far enough, the plate keeps the sides from compressing adequately to release the cover. A 4 handed job.

Learned over time

Last edited by cciman; 10-30-2013 at 18:57..
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 20:38   #12
Boot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchamp View Post
glock also told me to replace the magazine springs every 2,000 rounds is this correct?
No, that is not correct. A Glock Armorer explained to me the following test.

To test the magazine spring, take the magazine bottom off. Hold the magazine with the follower down with the spring still inside the magazine body. Count how many coils are visible. If you have less then two coils visible replace the spring.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:34   #13
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I found if you use the Glock armors tool or equivalent to push the retainer plate way up in the magazine, it makes it much easier to compress the sides of the mag body and remove the floor plate.

I found the problem I was having is I wasn't pushing the support plate away from the base plate and bottom of the mag body far enough to allow the body to compress.

Try it that way. It's easier than you think.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:20   #14
TMNKWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot Stomper View Post
To test the magazine spring, take the magazine bottom off. Hold the magazine with the follower down with the spring still inside the magazine body. Count how many coils are visible. If you have less then two coils visible replace the spring.
That's what I recall from the Armorer's class. There was not a schedule for replacement of the spring. And you clean the spring, follower and internal mag when it gets dirty - whatever that means to you. The aromoer's tool will remove the mag plate and once you do it a few times, it's easy.
TMNKWD is offline   Reply With Quote