Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2013, 21:07   #21
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Silly machine gun/firearm inventor. If he were to really know his guns & accessories, he would have called it a sound suppressor like all the cool commandos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35   #22
caraker0341

From what I understand, getting a silencer to work on a revolver usually requires modifying the manual safety on the slide of the cylinder gap where the bolt goes into battery with the forcing cone.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13   #23
KennyFSU
What to wear...

I wish I could silence my blender.
KennyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 15:30   #24
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
in the Manchurian candidate (no, not Obama, the first one) ...

Nicely played, sir.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31   #25
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Just because you people didn't know about revolvers and silencers, it doesn't mean that the unit didn't exist.

Advantage of the silenced revolver: no ejected brass. Sure, you can modify the M1911's thumb safety to lock the slide, but then you get one round then you will have to manually eject and chamber the next round. With the silenced wheelgun, you have five, six, seven or eight rounds ready to go. More if you go with a .22LR wheelgun.

Why would you care about non-ejection, one might ask? When leaving brass behind is a big nono, that's why.

Besides the Nagant, the Ruger GP100 had been modified in the 1980s to be silence-able. It was either Knight or Robar that did it. Knight for sure did a Redhawk conversion.

So, before you people start mocking about revolvers and silencers, do some googling.

You're correct. The Redhawk or Super Redhawk conversion, set up as a short range sniping rifle (it had around a 10" barrel, foregrip and a bipod with a stock), suppressed, showed up in a few gun magazines in the late 80s/early 90s, and was also used as a prop in The X-Files in one episode.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51   #26
caraker0341

I'd make fun of a dodobird if it was brought up, too. Just because it existed does not mean it is viable.

See the ACA.
Old 10-29-2013, 20:31   #27
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
You're correct. The Redhawk or Super Redhawk conversion, set up as a short range sniping rifle (it had around a 10" barrel, foregrip and a bipod with a stock), suppressed, showed up in a few gun magazines in the late 80s/early 90s, and was also used as a prop in The X-Files in one episode.
Why isn't it viable? It may not be popular because the gun smithing isn't cheap, but it's viable if you have the moolah.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 10-29-2013, 20:32   #28
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
There was even a GP100 conversion as well. Essentially any wheelguns can be converted to seal up the cylinder gap.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:47   #29
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
There was even a GP100 conversion as well. Essentially any wheelguns can be converted to seal up the cylinder gap.

So how's the cylinder going to turn on a non-Nagant style revolver with zero cyinder gap? Answer: it can't.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:02   #30
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
It's like a suppressor but only used in the movies.
I usually think of it as the more common and widley understood term for what mall ninjas insist on calling a suppressor, when they are trying to sound like operators.

Correcting people on "silencer" vs. "suppressor" ranks right below correcting people on "magazine" vs. "clip" in the list of annoying habits that identify mall ninjas and gun-geeks down at the gun shop.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:44   #31
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

It's called proper terminolgy. I prefer correct terminolgy so things are not easily mistaken. "Look out, private there is an M16 here." Private trips over a M16 mine looking for a M16 rifle.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:00   #32
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Just be sure to get a revolver that has the thing that goes up.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:37   #33
ithaca_deerslayer

Lots of fail in this thread, when they use a silencer on a revolver in the movies don't you guys even notice the thumbs forward position that covers the cylinder gap and keeps it quiet?

Old 11-18-2013, 17:54   #34
robertrwalsh

There are three effective way to suppress (silence) revolvers. As noted above, revolvers that seal the B/C gap can be silenced. The most common is the Nagant but there were others, including the Peiper. #2 is to build a silencer around the whole gun. This has only been done once that I know of, but it has been done. #3 is silence the ammunition. This is done by was is basically a condom loaded into the round. This was, as far as I know, first done by the US Army during the Vietnam war in the .44 QSP (quiet special purpose) revolver used by the tunnel rats. Also in Russian the UDAT revolver, which fires a 32 gauge shotgun cartridge, is available with commercially produced silenced ammunition. Just not available in this country, at least not over the counter.
robertrwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 18:05   #35
RenegadeGlocker

Tunnel Rats carried Silenced Revolvers in VietNam.

Knights also made a Suppressed Revolver.

Google for pix.
RenegadeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 18:06   #36
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Thanks for the info guys. It's interesting. I looked further with your comments and this was found:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double...evolver-e.html

I knew about the Soviet "spy" silenced pistol with the sealed ammo, but not the qspr revolver.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:10   #37
tenforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
So how's the cylinder going to turn on a non-Nagant style revolver with zero cyinder gap? Answer: it can't.
The old Webley revolvers pulled the cylinder rearwards during indexing and then pushed it forward to seal against the forcing cone.
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:21   #38
Hoser
Mall Ninja

My 686 is pretty quiet with an AAC Evo9 can on. Just as quiet as any semi auto I have.

Neither are Hollywood quiet. My 22 can on an air rifle is hollywood quiet, but thats it.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:40   #39
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Pic?

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 11-30-2013, 19:45   #40
perado
Sunburnt baldy

If calling it a silencer or a suppressor is bad, can I call it a quietner?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
perado is offline   Reply With Quote