SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2013, 16:53   #1
jdavionic
NRA Member

Open Carry holster - ALS vs. Reflex?

For those that OC, I have seen good reviews on the Safariland ALS design. Uncle Mike's has their Reflex holster that I've been looking at as well.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the twist to unlock functionality of the Reflex. It's cited as natural draw movement, but it locked for someone grabbing your gun. However I think of someone coming up behind you and either striking you and taking your weapon as your body responds to the blow or perhaps a quick grab attempt from behind. In either case, I wonder whether their motion would be close enough to that 'natural drawing' motion to unlock the weapon.

On the ALS, I think it would be a little slower than the Reflex. However...as with any holster, you should practice, practice, practice...so perhaps that's a non-issue. Any opinions on the ALS from those that own one?

Thanks.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."

Last edited by jdavionic; 10-24-2013 at 16:54..
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 14:41   #2
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

On the ALS:

It's a fine holster. The locking system is the best general-purpose retention I've seen to date. Its release is accomplished fairly naturally, and the time penalty is not significant if you do things in the right order.

It's big, though, and it will always protrude a bit more than a pancake holster, or most other purpose-built concealment rigs. And you won't be able to switch between different sized models of the same gun like you might with other products. (G17 --> G19 --> G26 for example.)
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 16:53   #3
MStarmer
In Jail...

Most of the Safariland offerings are pretty big unless hanging off a duty belt. They are stiff, and unforgiving and very good at what they do. Practice is obviously paramount on whatever you choose, I think the UM design is similar what they offered on their duty holsters. I know many agencies did not consider those holsters level III by definition. I think the VTac/5.11 may be a better choice, not sure if you considered it or not. Despite controversy I like the Serpa's as well. They are a good value and work. People manage to shoot themselves despite what kind of holsters they use.
Old 10-27-2013, 18:30   #4
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

We're issued ALS paddleback holsters (Model 6378) for plainclothes work. I love it. The draw motion is natural (and fast) with very little practice. I won't open carry with anything else.

One other thing with the ALS paddleback is that the paddle itself is very broad and the hook that catches under your belt is very deep and, consequently, secure. It slides on easily enough, but you almost have to take off your belt to get it off. It's very secure, especially compared to cheaper paddleback rigs.

As others have mentioned, it's definitely not a concealment rig, except in heavy coat weather.

Last edited by Dukeboy01; 10-27-2013 at 18:49..
Dukeboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 21:08   #5
G22Dude

ALS is a great holster system. I've moved from a Safariland model with just a hood guard to the ALS and I love it.
G22Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 22:03   #6
LeMat
Jellybaby?

I love the ALS as well. I found that the thumb "lever" was a bit slick and simply stippled it.

I use them for both a Glock 20 and a 1911. Find them to be very effective open carry rigs and they offer a sense of security for me when carrying openly.

The paddles seem to be molded for folks with a little less hip then what I have. :p

Sent from my TT Capsule Type 40 MkI TARDIS
The 10 Ring #1300
LeMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 22:05   #7
xmanhockey7

It's what I use for OC and I like it a lot. Would recommend it to just about anyone for OC.
Old 10-27-2013, 22:50   #8
cowboy1964

I love the ALS for my Glock 19 but frankly I never use it as I don't OC really ever. But they are great holsters and are especially great if you want a light-compatible version. I would NEVER OC without using a holster that has at least some kind of basic retention.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-27-2013 at 22:50..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 15:55   #9
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
Most of the Safariland offerings are pretty big unless hanging off a duty belt. They are stiff, and unforgiving and very good at what they do. Practice is obviously paramount on whatever you choose, I think the UM design is similar what they offered on their duty holsters. I know many agencies did not consider those holsters level III by definition. I think the VTac/5.11 may be a better choice, not sure if you considered it or not. Despite controversy I like the Serpa's as well. They are a good value and work. People manage to shoot themselves despite what kind of holsters they use.
The Serpa is my current OC holster. I have no concerns about the 'controversial' potential of an accident with it. I've even shot matches with the holster. However, I need another holster for a different gun. I'd rather get something better this go around.

Old 10-28-2013, 23:57   #10
ACM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
And you won't be able to switch between different sized models of the same gun like you might with other products. (G17 --> G19 --> G26 for example.)
I use my ALS designed for the 17/22 for both my 22 and my 19 and it works just fine. You probably wouldn't be able to use the smaller version for a bigger gun, but the bigger version works just fine for the smaller gun.
ACM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:07   #11
SCmasterblaster

What does ALS stand for?
Old 10-29-2013, 16:14   #12
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
What does ALS stand for?
Automatic Locking System
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6378

Old 10-29-2013, 16:55   #13
Inebriated

My ALS is one of my favorite OWB holsters around. You NEED a good belt with them, though.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 18:15   #14
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
My ALS is one of my favorite OWB holsters around. You NEED a good belt with them, though.
I have a nice Beltman belt.

Old 11-01-2013, 20:33   #15
MaximaDrvr

There is also the Bianchi Thumb drive holsters and the 5.11 holters for comparison.

Students for Concealed Carry State Director
www.concealedcampus.org
MaximaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04   #16
guitarded_1

I have an ALS holster, but I don't use it, as I don't OC. If I did OC, the ALS would be my go to holster. Built like a tank, very intuitive, and just rock solid. A very impressive piece of gear.
guitarded_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 21:05   #17
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM73 View Post
I use my ALS designed for the 17/22 for both my 22 and my 19 and it works just fine. You probably wouldn't be able to use the smaller version for a bigger gun, but the bigger version works just fine for the smaller gun.
If you look closely at the bottom of the ALS bucket, you should see a plug that holds the muzzle. It keeps the gun from tilting in the holster and causing problems for retention. If you put a 19 in a 17's holster, that plug doesn't get engaged.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39   #18
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Thank you!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:30   #19
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Deleted.

It was a smart aleck anti-OC post anyway.

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 11-04-2013 at 09:31..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 22:17   #20
up1911fan

Hands down the ALS.
up1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 23:05   #21
gooffeyguy

I like the ALS but with the paddle attachment it doesn't allow for any tilt adjustment, only if the belt attachment is used.
gooffeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:39   #22
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

If you are carrying in the woods, at the farm, or simply cannot legally carry concealed, may I recommend the safariland 6377/6378. Excellent holsters in every way.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57   #23
clarson_75

I love the ALS holster. Adding the QLS gives you a lot more options as well. I think the lever is enough to prevent a quick snatch of the gun. After that you are going to have to train on how to keep your gun in a struggle with any holster you use.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:02   #24
SCmasterblaster

I rely on an old Bianchi 4/4L hip holster.
Old 11-08-2013, 17:56   #25
SkaOG

Send a message via AIM to SkaOG
ALS is a great holster. I can recommend it. It is not the best at concealing but the retention is great.
SkaOG is offline   Reply With Quote