Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-27-2013, 19:52   #1
97harley

Thumb safety

Has anybody gotten a thumb safety installed? I've seen in gun mags back pages for about $120. The only reason I"m looking at it is for my nightstand gun. I don't wake up but got to thinking, I have it within hands reach in condition 1 and wouldn't mind having to hit the safety. I shoot 1911's often so it's second nature.
97harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 20:04   #2
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I wouldn't and you'll find the general consensus here will agree. Just leave it in a quality holster, grab and go if necessary. If your used to a 1911 roll with that or if you want a hi capacity pistol with a safety, buy one already installed.

My .02 cents
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 20:10   #3
tonyparson

Here we go again. The search button is your friend.

Here you go.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1506744

Last edited by tonyparson; 10-27-2013 at 20:12..
tonyparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 22:11   #4
skyboss_4evr

Keep your nightstand GLOCK in a holster.
Old 10-27-2013, 22:15   #5
bac1023

What is with these crazy threads lately?

I think some of you are are flat out nuts to consider cutting the frame to add an aftermarket safety. Buy the gun you need in the first place, don't ruin your Glock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 22:17   #6
GlocksterPaulie
Perfectionist

If you are that worried about it sell the Glock and stick with the 1911's.

Paulie
GlocksterPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 22:24   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97harley View Post
Has anybody gotten a thumb safety installed? I've seen in gun mags back pages for about $120. The only reason I"m looking at it is for my nightstand gun. I don't wake up but got to thinking, I have it within hands reach in condition 1 and wouldn't mind having to hit the safety. I shoot 1911's often so it's second nature.
There's the answer - put a 1911 on your night stand. If you are familiar with pone type of gun, that should be what you use in an emergency.

Last edited by Bren; 10-27-2013 at 22:24..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 22:27   #8
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
There's the answer - put a 1911 on your night stand. If you are familiar with pone type of gun, that should be what you use in an emergency.
Good advice.
Old 10-27-2013, 22:33   #9
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
What is with these crazy threads lately?

I think some of you are are flat out nuts to consider cutting the frame to add an aftermarket safety. Buy the gun you need in the first place, don't ruin your Glock.
I don't get it either BAC, I thought school was back in session these kinda threads keep popping up.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 00:12   #10
JuneyBooney

Are you going to carry it or just on the nightstand? I would just leave a round out of the chamber if you have kids and lock it up if necessary when not carried. Or buy an Hk with a safety/decicker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 00:26   #11
TK-421

If you want a safety, then get a gun with a safety. If you don't want a safety, then buy one that doesn't come with a safety.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51   #12
97harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Are you going to carry it or just on the nightstand? I would just leave a round out of the chamber if you have kids and lock it up if necessary when not carried. Or buy an Hk with a safety/decicker.
My daughter is almost 18 and it's not her I'm concerned about. I keep the G21 for a nightstand gun and just got to thinking it might be nice to have a safety in case I go to grab something on the nightstand half asleep etc. I have a couple of Kahr's and a G19 that I carry regularly and wouldn't consider this for any of them. I shoot a 1911 in our weekly combat shoot at the range I belong to due to it's nicer trigger, single action etc. but don't use one as my EDC. I'm fairly new to the sport, about 18 months and was just asking for an opinion, lol
Old 10-28-2013, 07:03   #13
F106 Fan

Quote:
I'm fairly new to the sport, about 18 months and was just asking for an opinion, lol
Please review the other thread we did last week (linked above). The subject tends to drift toward just plain nasty. You won't find a bit of support for the concept around here.

There are other guns that may be more appropriate for nightstand duty (in my opinion) like Sigs. The long double action pull on the first shot takes care of the "oops the safety is off" situation with a 1911 or the lack of a blocking safety on the Glocks.

I have 1911s, Sigs and Glocks but I have a G36 on my nightstand along with a spare mag.

And two defense dogs...

Here's another thought: It's your gun, if you want to install a manual safety, go for it. Don't expect to find any support for the idea and don't mention it on GT. Just get it done and be happy. So what if it lessens the value of your Glock? It's just a cheap beater gun. As to whether it damages the gun? Well, nightstand guns don't always get a very high round count.

Richard
Old 10-28-2013, 07:44   #14
SCmasterblaster

Glocks and M1911A1s are two very different animals.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:57   #15
roadkill46

i wouldn't as above. i am a pretty deep sleeper anymore..thanx VA for the meds...unfortunately. i switched from a G19 with TLRS-1 and CT's for my FN FNP USG 9mm with a Taclite, condition one, decocked. Great DA and SA on this gun, i have 2. The dogs would wake me up no doubt, but we have a Ranch/SW AZ type house w/o upstairs, only 2 doors, front and patio so i think gun selection 'could' be house dependant.

if you have a downstairs and wake up, you could shake off the cobwebs enough to either just p/u the Glock or thumb off the 1911 safety, or rack a slide on a condition 2 gun on the nightstand.

dogs and a good alarm system give you time to get your critical thinking involved. my granddaughter sleeps in the back room on the other side of the house so def gotta be careful and ID target before engaging. i would like to be fully awake for that!

go with the one with the manual safety in your case for sure. just my .03
roadkill46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:49   #16
oily_oink
###########

Quote:
Hey 97harley! Come on over to my Thread!
Maybe we could have a Civilized Discussion:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507701 I asked for the Haters to stay out, but you know how that goes.
Old 10-28-2013, 13:50   #17
tonyparson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oily_oink View Post
Hey 97harley! Come on over to my Thread!
Maybe we could have a Civilized Discussion:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507701 I asked for the Haters to stay out, but you know how that goes.
Why start another thread when you already posted in this one??
Old 10-28-2013, 17:13   #18
oily_oink
###########

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyparson View Post
Why start another thread when you already posted in this one??

Maybe, just maybe, I didn't see this Thread until after I started mine...
Old 10-28-2013, 17:17   #19
Bruce M

I might gravitate to the 1911 for the nightstand especially if I shot it appreciably better than the Glock.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 18:19   #20
97harley

The reason I bought the G21 was for it's capacity, 13+1 is a thing of the past here in Connecticut as of April of 2013. You can still own one but not buy one. I have two high capacity pistols, a G19 and a G21. I can't even carry the G19 unless I keep it with only 10 in the mag + 1. You can have/load what you want at the range and for the home. I am more accurate with a 1911 but lets face it, we're talking inches and at close range for home defense I"m confident of my ability. It's no big deal, just like I said I saw an advertisement in the back of a gun mag and was wondering if anyone had one installed. At the time I bought the G21 I wanted a STI double stack but was runnng out of time with the new BS laws in CT and kinda fell into the G21 SF. The G19 was my first handgun and up until the new laws carried it IWB often in the colder months when it dosen't print but now carry a 3 inch alum frame 1911 instead.