SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2013, 00:12   #1
W420Hunter

Send a message via AIM to W420Hunter Send a message via Yahoo to W420Hunter
Trespassing Hunter

Ok so I was taking my dog for his romp with his friends at the dog park today. As I drove out my drive way I see a truck parked at the service road that is about 50 yards off my land. When I get home I see it is still there. So curiosity got the better of me and I took a walk. Part of my land is woods and part of it is farmed. The wooded area is surrounded by plowed land so it jets out like a peninsula. As I get to the far side I see the ladder on my tree and 2 stands. It's less than 30 mins before dark and I can see the truck pulling out. So what do I do? Do I try to be nice and hope he is not an a $$ about it or do I go right to the game warden and have them take care of it? I do not want to be a dick about it he may assume it's the farmers land who farms about 2 acres of my land. On the other hand he may know he is trespassing and it could get ugly fast.
W420Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 00:15   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Game warden.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 00:19   #3
tadbart
duuuuude.

armed trespassing. taking game you might want on your land. A MAN WITH A GUN ON YOUR PROPERTY WITHOUT PERMISSION.

game warden all the way.

G19
pointy stick
sharp wit
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 00:20   #4
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

Nip it in the bud.

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 00:23   #5
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

I just finished deer season. (Got one, by the way, eating it now.). The whole two days before was spent going around to various property owners.

"Is it ok if we hunt on your land?" "Where is the boundary of your land?" "Is there any part of the deer you really like, that we could bring you, if we get one?"

Whether through willful ignorance, or total disregard, guys like these are the reason some people said "No, I'd love to have you hunting on my land, 'cause the deer eat my crops, but I've dealt with too many dirtbags..."

F this guy. He's lucky he didn't get shot. Call game warden, call sheriff, and if you can catch him again... Use whatever force necessary to safely effect a citizen's arrest.
Old 10-24-2013, 00:33   #6
Syclone0538

Quote:
Originally Posted by W420Hunter View Post
Ok so I was taking my dog for his romp with his friends at the dog park today. As I drove out my drive way I see a truck parked at the service road that is about 50 yards off my land. When I get home I see it is still there. So curiosity got the better of me and I took a walk. Part of my land is woods and part of it is farmed. The wooded area is surrounded by plowed land so it jets out like a peninsula. As I get to the far side I see the ladder on my tree and 2 stands. It's less than 30 mins before dark and I can see the truck pulling out. So what do I do? Do I try to be nice and hope he is not an a $$ about it or do I go right to the game warden and have them take care of it? I do not want to be a dick about it he may assume it's the farmers land who farms about 2 acres of my land. On the other hand he may know he is trespassing and it could get ugly fast.
Talk to the farmer first, see if he knows the truck and if they are supposed to be on his land. If he says they are ok and just don't know the property line, have him show them. If he doesn't know them, call the cops/game warden.

edit

A no hunting/no trespassing sign where they can't miss it going from where they parked to where they were hunting will either stop them, or let you know that law enforcement is definitely the way to go.

Last edited by Syclone0538; 10-24-2013 at 00:38..
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 00:33   #7
davew83
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Send a message via AIM to davew83
Sounds like you got a new ladder and a couple stands. Oh yeah and a game warden to call.
Duke of Marlborough
davew83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 00:35   #8
mrmedina
NRA Member

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 00:42   #9
W420Hunter

First of wow there are a lot of people up this late. Next it is bow season so bet there is no gun. Last I do not even know who the farmer is. He had a agreement with my grandfather to farm it and not even my mom knows who it is.
Old 10-24-2013, 00:45   #10
TK-421

Definitely call the game warden, it's their job to handle stuff like this, might as well give them something to do. Who knows, maybe it's a slow and boring day, and you calling them gives them something to break up the monotony.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 00:49   #11
jfost11

You can't go wrong notifying the game warden to avoid an unfavorable interaction with armed individuals knowingly trespassing.

You could also, take down the stands and leave them where they can be found and collected as well as no trespassing and no hunting signs. They should get the point and any perceived hostility would be in their minds. That would be my version of being nice. If it continues after that, being a dick is called for.
jfost11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05   #12
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
First of wow there are a lot of people up this late. Next it is bow season so bet there is no gun. Last I do not even know who the farmer is. He had a agreement with my grandfather to farm it and not even my mom knows who it is.
Who owns this land in question? If no one knows the farmer, you have an issue. Farmers pay to rent farmland. This unknown farmer should be paying someone to farm that ground. If you dont care about an unknown somebody farming your land whats the big deal about a bowhunter?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11   #13
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
It's not as late on the west coast. Imagine it's even earlier in Hawaii. Arrows will make you dead. Poachers often carry guns, even in bow season. Pretend there were no deer. No animals. All you know is that a man with a weapon is sneaking around the land where your family sleeps. If you wanted advice on respecting his uniqueness, you picked a weird forum. The guy is trespassing. I don't know what the law is in Ohio, but "armed trespass" is a felony, here in Cali. If it were me, I would be alarmed, and, I would... Phrased carefully... Utilize every legally available resource to secure my family's safety against this obvious and eminent threat. JMO.

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 10-24-2013 at 01:12..
RagnarDanneskjold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16   #14
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

I would also definitely call the game warden. You don't know who you're dealing with and they are likely to be more prepared with dealing with this type of situation.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:26   #15
W420Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Who owns this land in question? If no one knows the farmer, you have an issue. Farmers pay to rent farmland. This unknown farmer should be paying someone to farm that ground. If you dont care about an unknown somebody farming your land whats the big deal about a bowhunter?
The land is mine passed on to me by my grandfather. The farmer had a verbal agreement to farm the land for free. My grandfather saw it as a free way to keep it from becoming overgrown. No hunting rights where given.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:34   #16
elsolo

Is the land posted "No Hunting" ?

I don't know the laws for your region, but in some places if the land is not posted at every section, it is not considered trespassing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edited to add, I looked up Ohio regs:

The landowner’s written permission is required for hunting and trapping on private land, regardless of whether the land is posted. Permission slips are available at Division of Wildlife district offices and at wildohio.com.

The Penalty for Hunting Without Written Permission

The maximum penalty for hunting without written permission of the landowner for a first offense is 60 days in jail and a $500 fine. The maximum penalty for a second offense is 90 days in jail and a $750 fine.

A person must carry written permission at all times while engaging in hunting or trapping on private land and exhibit it upon request to a state wildlife officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, police officer, other law enforcement officer, owner of the land, or the landowner’s authorized agent.

Last edited by elsolo; 10-24-2013 at 01:36..
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:49   #17
AZ Husker

You've been screwed out of your own venison for years and didn't even know it. I'd start by blatantly posting the property "NO HUNTING OR TRESSPASSING" and make them come to you. Do you want to hunt this property? If not you might be able to make some money on an annual hunting lease with the same guys using it now.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:30   #18
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Talk to the Police?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:42   #19
Speleothem

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SF/F-250 View Post
Nip it in the bud.
The Okie Corral
Speleothem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:01   #20
lunarspeak

don't assume he doesn't have a gun..2 of my BIL bow hunt and both carry guns in the stands..

im more wondering about this farmer now,does he atleast give you some vegtables....maybe its time to renegotiate the deal you have with this guy..
lunarspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass