*ASH*

im thinking i read this months ago .
Old 10-22-2013, 20:27   #3
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
im thinking i read this months ago .
Apologies.

It just turned up on my local news outlet (but they're often late to many stories).

It seems as if the NFL brass almost wants to encourage controversy lately.
Old 10-22-2013, 20:32   #4
*ASH*

oh no apologies needed . i was talking outloud . didnt mean to come across as smart ass. i was thinking hmmmm i know ive seen something about it somewhere . hell it could have been on another site
Old 10-22-2013, 20:37   #5
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
oh no apologies needed . i was talking outloud . didnt mean to come across as smart ass. i was thinking hmmmm i know ive seen something about it somewhere . hell it could have been on another site
I think it's at least a week old news, as the ABC news link is dated October 14th.

I wonder what the NFL official response will be if there's a future incident where someone is seriously injured by a drunken hooligan or other miscreant, and it could have been prevented had an off-duty LEO been allowed to carry his/her weapon inside the stadium.
Old 10-22-2013, 21:07   #6
Altaris

My view is off duty = normal citizen like the rest of us, and bound by the same rules that we have to follow.

Cops aren't exempt from being crazy sports fans and being obnoxious at games, like the rest of us.

If you are on duty or in uniform, that is a whole different story.
Old 10-22-2013, 21:11   #7
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
My view is off duty = normal citizen like the rest of us, and bound by the same rules that we have to follow.

Cops aren't exempt from being crazy sports fans and being obnoxious at games, like the rest of us.

Problem is by law we aren't average people. I can make arrests off duty that citizens can't make.

Never mind you know what the news article is going to read if a cop watches somebody getting smoked. Even if following NFL policy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 10-22-2013, 22:11   #8
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Problem is by law we aren't average people. I can make arrests off duty that citizens can't make.

Never mind you know what the news article is going to read if a cop watches somebody getting smoked. Even if following NFL policy.
Agreed.

I think this is a really bad policy on the part of the NFL.
Old 10-22-2013, 22:20   #9
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

This is a good step towards correcting that "issue"

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 10-22-2013, 23:00   #10
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Again a gun policy to make us safe by making rules or law against people that are not the problem in the first place.

Besides going to an NFL game on a policeman salary would be a hardship.
Old 10-22-2013, 23:12   #11
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
Again a gun policy to make us safe by making rules or law against people that are not the problem in the first place.

Besides going to an NFL game on a policeman salary would be a hardship.
Not to go too far OT, but I genuinely don't "get it" as to how even a solidly middle class family of 4 can afford to attend a professional football or baseball game, given the price of tickets, food & beverages.

Heck, the cost of such an outing is somewhat insane for even a "well off" or upper middle class family.
Old 10-22-2013, 23:31   #12
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Cops aren't exempt from being crazy sports fans and being obnoxious at games...
C section, loge one at Yankee Stadium confirms this weekly. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
Old 10-22-2013, 23:39   #13
CAcop

IIRC last year there was a shooting at a Raider game and this year it was a 9er game.

No thanks.

There are two families at the PD who go to the games. They are both dual income and they really don't do anything else for fun that I can think of. I think they may be season ticket holders and Candlestick supposedly has some really good deals. The new stadium in Santa Clara is going to be different. I heard one long time season ticket holder was told he was going to have to pay $80,000 just to be able to try to get similar seats in the new stadium. I suspect there are going to be a lot of companies in the Silicon Valley buying up the season tickets. Hell, I worked for a company that had season tickets to give out to employees at Candlestick when the Giants still played there. Nice seats behind the home dugout.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 10-23-2013, 00:20   #14
Ohio Copper

I've been to two NFL games at two separate stadiums in two different states so far this year. One pre-season and one regular season (tickets were bought on the cheap from guys who couldn't attend). I had no issue carrying into either on my creds.

Just saying.
Old 10-23-2013, 00:25   #15
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I've been to two NFL games at two separate stadiums in two different states so far this year. One pre-season and one regular season (tickets were bought on the cheap from guys who couldn't attend). I had no issue carrying into either on my creds.

Just saying.

This league wide rule just went into effect.

Last edited by Durden; 10-23-2013 at 00:25.. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2013, 06:03   #16
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
I get to be on the field in uniform during the games ( its punishment for me) and strangely we are allowed to be armed but not carry our batons. I just watch the crowd, all the action is there, the "game" is utterly and e x c r u c i a t i n g l y b o r i n g.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34   #17
capnjim01

I'm all for cops off duty carrying because I have had friends who said they have run into people they have arrested and it could have been ugly if they were out of uniform and unarmed.

I do think the should follow the same rules as the rest of us, if you're carrying then no drinking.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05   #18
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Does the NFL have the jurisdiction to prohibit firearms at these stadiums that are neither owned by them or operated by them?

Most of these facilities are jointly owned/operated by the cities/communities due to bonds/taxes collected to pay for these centers.

Interesting.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19   #19
cyphertext

I heard about this on another forum where an officer was turned away by security at a Cowboys game a couple of weeks ago. I think it is a bad policy as well.

I wonder what the reasoning behind it is... Did Tom Clancy write a novel where terrorists used false or stolen police credentials to take fans at a football game hostage?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:35   #20
cyphertext

Texas law overrides NFL policy...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...icers-at-games
Old 10-28-2013, 10:07   #21
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:

Yup. That won't play well to some.

Quote:
Hence the rule change.

Carry for all or carry for none.

(It isn't like they don't have 329320234238234 police officers at every game anyhow. Do you have any idea how hard it is to deal smack in the stands of a local foozball game these days???)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08   #22
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
What a S'y job. On duty 24/7???? Do we pay them for that??? Well, you'all because I don't live in TX. LOL
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10   #23
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim01 View Post
I'm all for cops off duty carrying because I have had friends who said they have run into people they have arrested and it could have been ugly if they were out of uniform and unarmed.

I do think the should follow the same rules as the rest of us, if you're carrying then no drinking.
While not maybe a good idea to mix alcohol and firearms, nothing wrong with a drink here and there while carrying.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12   #24
DanaT
Pharaoh

If a stadium is owned or leased by a private entity, why don't GTers seem to be supporting private property rights???
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:13   #25
Herzeleid
Kein Mitleid

Quote:
IIRC last year there was a shooting at a Raider game and this year it was a 9er game.

No thanks.
Whoa a shooting at a raiders game?!?!!? Color me surprised! Were there riots after, too?
Closed Thread