Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:27   #1
1s1k52

before I buy a 29 Gen 4

I have had this idea for a little while now of getting rid of my G27 and going with a 29.

I ideally would like to get an extended barrel, around 4.5 or so. I also would like to get a weapon mounted light that can be activated via a grip switch.

I have been searching for a couple of days and found

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349382

Is there any update to this route? I eventually will try and get the same setup with a glock 20 and a 6" barrel.

Any information would be appreciated.

thanks
1s1k52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 13:54   #2
1s1k52

did i post this in the wrong section?
Old 10-16-2013, 14:21   #3
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Send a message via AIM to s0nspark Send a message via Skype™ to s0nspark
Are you sold on the TLR-1?

The Surefire X300/X400 can be activated with a grip switch ... it is a bit spendy, like most Surefire stuff. Quality gear, though.

Just my $0.02 here but I've never cared for grip-based activators for weapon-mounted lights. IMO they make it much harder to practice any kind of light discipline without compromising your grip. I suppose it depends on what purpose you have for these guns, though. Mine are all for CC/HD...

Do you plan to use a conversion barrel to shoot .40cal in your G29 or G20? I have a KKM conversion barrel for my G20 and am thinking hard about getting one for my G29.

Last edited by s0nspark; 10-16-2013 at 14:44..
s0nspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 14:26   #4
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

You also might check into Crimson Trace's Lightguard. It looks pretty nifty.

I recently saw a pic of someone's G21 with a CTC lasergrip and lightguard - sweet setup!

Last edited by s0nspark; 10-16-2013 at 14:41.. Reason: added link(s)
s0nspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 16:42   #5
1s1k52

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
Are you sold on the TLR-1?

The Surefire X300/X400 can be activated with a grip switch ... it is a bit spendy, like most Surefire stuff. Quality gear, though.

Just my $0.02 here but I've never cared for grip-based activators for weapon-mounted lights. IMO they make it much harder to practice any kind of light discipline without compromising your grip. I suppose it depends on what purpose you have for these guns, though. Mine are all for CC/HD...

Do you plan to use a conversion barrel to shoot .40cal in your G29 or G20? I have a KKM conversion barrel for my G20 and am thinking hard about getting one for my G29.
I am only sold on in it for the price. I plan to use it when hunting and may or may not use it for CC. It can be used with a red cap cover which I am wondering if it could be used in a holster like that.

Surefire makes a great light but the switch alone is about 60.00 more than I the streamlight. I would say you get what you pay for but I have never seen anyone say anything bad about streamlight
Old 10-16-2013, 16:51   #6
1s1k52

Quote:
You also might check into Crimson Trace's Lightguard. It looks pretty nifty.

I recently saw a pic of someone's G21 with a CTC lasergrip and lightguard - sweet setup!

That does look really awesome. I wish somewhere had a setup like that to try out. Being as i have small hands already, makes me wonder how that would fit..
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17   #7
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1s1k52 View Post
I am only sold on in it for the price. I plan to use it when hunting and may or may not use it for CC. It can be used with a red cap cover which I am wondering if it could be used in a holster like that.

Surefire makes a great light but the switch alone is about 60.00 more than I the streamlight. I would say you get what you pay for but I have never seen anyone say anything bad about streamlight
Yes, Surefire gear is sometimes stupidly expensive...

I'd be interested to see some long term reliability comparisons between them and other manufacturers, especially with handheld flashlights.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19   #8
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Quote:
That does look really awesome. I wish somewhere had a setup like that to try out. Being as i have small hands already, makes me wonder how that would fit..
I'm hoping to stumble across one at a gun show or something. I have a Surefire X300 but would love something a little smaller that perhaps could be carried concealed in the right holster - the X300 could then go on my wife's HD gun... win/win :-)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:34   #9
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Quote:
Yes, Surefire gear is sometimes stupidly expensive...

I'd be interested to see some long term reliability comparisons between them and other manufacturers, especially with handheld flashlights.
Anecdotal experience here...

I bought a pair of Streamlight Stingers about 5 years ago, IIRC. One of the batteries died within a year, which I replaced. The other is still using the original battery. I don't abuse them, but they come out when working on stuff, walking the dog, get dropped or rolled around once in a while.

My Mom found a Surefire of some sort (about the same size as the Stinger) in a swamp and was going to throw it out. I told her to get a new battery and see if it still works. 2 years later, it is still going strong. The light, that is, not the battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:44   #10
1s1k52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
Anecdotal experience here...

I bought a pair of Streamlight Stingers about 5 years ago, IIRC. One of the batteries died within a year, which I replaced. The other is still using the original battery. I don't abuse them, but they come out when working on stuff, walking the dog, get dropped or rolled around once in a while.

My Mom found a Surefire of some sort (about the same size as the Stinger) in a swamp and was going to throw it out. I told her to get a new battery and see if it still works. 2 years later, it is still going strong. The light, that is, not the battery.
went to a local gun shop and messed around with a TRL-2 on a blue gun. It was pretty cool but didnt have the grip switch.

They didn't have the crimson trace light or the streamlight switch. The guy was really cool about not having the slightest idea what i was meaning. He finally understood when we started speaking about it in an AR form and showing him the crimson trace laser version.

I finally held a gen 4 glock 29 back to back with a gen 3 glock 20. I have heard off and on through out the year that there isnt a noticeable difference. Unless the gen 4 took even more off then the original 29sf i have no clue how someone could NOT notice.

So now i just need to figure out this light thing and a holster and i will be selling my 27 ASAP
Old 10-18-2013, 06:00   #11
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Quote:
I finally held a gen 4 glock 29 back to back with a gen 3 glock 20. I have heard off and on through out the year that there isnt a noticeable difference. Unless the gen 4 took even more off then the original 29sf i have no clue how someone could NOT notice.
I'd say the difference between the Gen3 SF and Gen4 is perhaps subtle but significant. The SF feels a tad blockier to me whereas the Gen4 feels a little more rounded - maybe because of the texturing.

It was enough for me to decide I won't buy any more Gen3 pistols unless I plan to have the grips stippled - which I probably won't since I like the Gen4 texture just fine...
Old 10-18-2013, 13:33   #12
dryfly
Platinum Membership

Quote:
I'd say the difference between the Gen3 SF and Gen4 is perhaps subtle but significant. The SF feels a tad blockier to me whereas the Gen4 feels a little more rounded - maybe because of the texturing.

It was enough for me to decide I won't buy any more Gen3 pistols unless I plan to have the grips stippled - which I probably won't since I like the Gen4 texture just fine...
Interesting .... I guess I gotta go see for myself .... as I have been wondering the same thing.
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:03   #13
1s1k52

Quote:

I hope i dont need to post a new thread because i wouldn't know whether to do it here.

but with it being a gen 4 would looking for a new slide release be an issue? I was handed a gen 3 with an extended slide stop and it was awesome to say the least.

The guy stripped both down and said it should work but he couldn't say 100% sure.

The slide release was contoured out to a point and almost had like a smooth black drop of pain on the tip of it

http://proshop.tigerswan.com/glock-f...e-release.aspx

like that.

Having a tough time finding holsters for a glock 29 let alone with a light on it.

Is this just a pipe dream for me? i would like to think anything today is possible.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:34   #14
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Google a site called blackpoint tactical. They will make almost any holster to fit any gun and light combo. They have a wide variety of colors. I had one made in brown for my G 37 and a Glock light. (Which I use on shorter barrel guns).

Well made however not cheap at $135 for the holster and double mag holder. None the less nice kit.
Old 10-19-2013, 22:09   #15
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Depending on your carry method and holster preferences, you may find something you'd like with JM Custom kydex... John there can do holsters for just about anything it seems. Definitely the G29 with a light... I've been using an AIWB holster with my G20 and G29 and it rocks.

As for the slide release, I run the Vickers extended slide releases on all of my Gen4 guns - I carried them over from my Gen3 guns so I believe the slide release is common between generations.
Old 10-24-2013, 17:19   #16
1s1k52

Quote:
Depending on your carry method and holster preferences, you may find something you'd like with JM Custom kydex... John there can do holsters for just about anything it seems. Definitely the G29 with a light... I've been using an AIWB holster with my G20 and G29 and it rocks.

As for the slide release, I run the Vickers extended slide releases on all of my Gen4 guns - I carried them over from my Gen3 guns so I believe the slide release is common between generations.
that one might be, but the glock OEM model is not. Just found that out the hard way.
Old 10-24-2013, 17:25   #17
1s1k52

I am not sure why I am so determined to have a mutant of a pistol. I guess I like the idea of a "do it all". I am NOW thinking of not getting a 29 AT ALL and rather getting a 20 gen 4 and having it chopped to a 29.

Only issues I see with that is. A. more money and time away from the gun itself. and B. I carry appendix sometimes so not sure how that would work out. C. resale.

Thoughts? Seems like the best of all I am wanting in the relm of wanting a carry/hunting pistol.

I would love to take a deer and hog with a pistol at some point.

I know a lot of people have dedicated guns for occasions. This is just something I have set out to do for some reason. Now that I read about someone chopping their 20 and showing they could still do a 6' barrel or switch mags for immediate concealment just fascinated the crap out of me
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53   #18
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Quote:
I am not sure why I am so determined to have a mutant of a pistol. I guess I like the idea of a "do it all". I am NOW thinking of not getting a 29 AT ALL and rather getting a 20 gen 4 and having it chopped to a 29.
I bought a G29 first, carried it for a while and thought the G20 wouldn't even be an option for carry. I carried IWB behind the hip then, though, and after switching to appendix the whole game changed for me. I compared the size of the G29 and G20 and decided there wasn't really that much difference - so I bought a G20.

I still thought I would carry the G29 most but for me the G20 beat it in every respect except weight... and the weight doesn't bother me. My holster does a wonderful job of holding the gun securely and comfortably - and I use the same holster for the G29 when I do carry it...

After carrying the G20 for well over a year I see the G29 as mostly a bunch of undesirable compromises. The only thing it has going for it at all in my book is the smaller size.

As for the grip chop... well, I toyed with the idea at one point. For me it just came down to not wanting to lose the part of the G20 I liked the best. I find it much easier to get a solid grip on the G20 when drawing from concealment - the G29 grip with the Pearce grip extension feels find on the front but the back sits a little higher on the base of my hand than I like and I find myself sometimes fidgeting with my grip to lock things in. That is just me, though, and perhaps I will be able to train that out :-)

In the end I decided against the grip chop because I have little trouble concealing the G20 as is ... and I do have the G29 as an alternate if particular clothing proves uncooperative. (I also like having an alternate carry gun I can transition to without issue just in case something goes sideways on my primary.)

Quote:
Only issues I see with that is. A. more money and time away from the gun itself. and B. I carry appendix sometimes so not sure how that would work out. C. resale.
Appendix shouldn't be a problem with the G20 if you have the right holster and can dress for it. I went through a lot of holsters before finding the one that worked best for me. The search was pretty discouraging after about the 4th holster but it turned out good in the end. My job allows me to dress fairly casual also so that is a plus too.

On a lark I was running out to grab a bite last night and grabbed the RCS Vanguard 2 to carry my G29 just to see how it compared to the JMCK I normally use... Having carried the G20 with the RCS VG2 for almost a year I was really surprised at the difference it made with the G29... as in, negative difference - with the G29 the gun was all over the place and the gun kept wanting to roll away from my beltline while sitting in the car. I won't be doing that again LOL

Anyhow, good luck with your decision. I, too, like the one gun approach. Part of that is the practical side of me that doesn't want to just have stuff I don't use and part of it is wanting to attain a certain level of proficiency... I want to really *know* the gun I carry day to day. That is also what attracted me to 10mm - having the versatility to handle anything I'm likely to encounter from the hood to the woods. :-)
Old 11-04-2013, 13:02   #19
1s1k52

Quote:
I bought a G29 first, carried it for a while and thought the G20 wouldn't even be an option for carry. I carried IWB behind the hip then, though, and after switching to appendix the whole game changed for me. I compared the size of the G29 and G20 and decided there wasn't really that much difference - so I bought a G20.

I still thought I would carry the G29 most but for me the G20 beat it in every respect except weight... and the weight doesn't bother me. My holster does a wonderful job of holding the gun securely and comfortably - and I use the same holster for the G29 when I do carry it...

After carrying the G20 for well over a year I see the G29 as mostly a bunch of undesirable compromises. The only thing it has going for it at all in my book is the smaller size.

As for the grip chop... well, I toyed with the idea at one point. For me it just came down to not wanting to lose the part of the G20 I liked the best. I find it much easier to get a solid grip on the G20 when drawing from concealment - the G29 grip with the Pearce grip extension feels find on the front but the back sits a little higher on the base of my hand than I like and I find myself sometimes fidgeting with my grip to lock things in. That is just me, though, and perhaps I will be able to train that out :-)

In the end I decided against the grip chop because I have little trouble concealing the G20 as is ... and I do have the G29 as an alternate if particular clothing proves uncooperative. (I also like having an alternate carry gun I can transition to without issue just in case something goes sideways on my primary.)

Appendix shouldn't be a problem with the G20 if you have the right holster and can dress for it. I went through a lot of holsters before finding the one that worked best for me. The search was pretty discouraging after about the 4th holster but it turned out good in the end. My job allows me to dress fairly casual also so that is a plus too.

On a lark I was running out to grab a bite last night and grabbed the RCS Vanguard 2 to carry my G29 just to see how it compared to the JMCK I normally use... Having carried the G20 with the RCS VG2 for almost a year I was really surprised at the difference it made with the G29... as in, negative difference - with the G29 the gun was all over the place and the gun kept wanting to roll away from my beltline while sitting in the car. I won't be doing that again LOL

Anyhow, good luck with your decision. I, too, like the one gun approach. Part of that is the practical side of me that doesn't want to just have stuff I don't use and part of it is wanting to attain a certain level of proficiency... I want to really *know* the gun I carry day to day. That is also what attracted me to 10mm - having the versatility to handle anything I'm likely to encounter from the hood to the woods. :-)

I keep coming back to a chopped 20. I can't decide if I would want to chop it all the way or more compact style.

I tried doing your idea. Sort of.... I carry a 27 with a 23 mag and sleeve normally. I swapped down to a pinky extended 27 mag. After dressing around my "23" it was EASY for the 27 to disappear. It was also a lot lighter.

Carrying in a desantis intruder with a wilderness frequent flyer.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57   #20
roguedaddy

Quote:

I'm currently trying to decide between the G20 and G29 what holster do you use for appendix carry and if you don't mind me asking, what size are you and how do you dress with it? I have trouble hiding a G19 for appendix carry
Thanks

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
roguedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote