SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2013, 22:46   #1
G40Concealed

Looking to buy an AK

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on the forum, but I'm back. I'm looking to purchase an AK-47 and was wondering what a good price was for a decent one?
G40Concealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:45   #2
John43

J & G Sales has the OPap for about $600, Arsenals are around $1200.
John43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 20:26   #3
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John43 View Post
J & G Sales has the OPap for about $600, Arsenals are around $1200.
With Arsenals going for $1200 (ish) these days I'd much rather pay $200 or so more for a Krebs. Real customer service, crowned barrel, smoothed action, better trigger, better finish, ect.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 00:45   #4
BossGodfrey

You could spend 650.00 and two hours of your time like I just did on my 8th Saiga conversion. Tools need, dremel and a drill !

Last edited by BossGodfrey; 10-11-2013 at 15:01..
BossGodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:30   #5
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossGodfrey View Post
You could spend 650.00 and two hours of your time like I just did on my 8th Saiga conversion. Tools need, dremel and a drill !
That's really all you need? I've always been interested in doing a Saiga conversion but I'm not too mechanically inclined. What about that fore end? Is there a way to convert it to accept AK furniture and if so, how difficult would it be?
Luminary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:18   #6
adamg01

The O-PAP is the best deal going right now. This is coming from an Arsenal fanboy.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:00   #7
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...r=700|701|1028

The Kalashnikov Klub

$579

Old 09-29-2013, 18:44   #8
PAGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Like the OP, I don't know much about AK's, is this AK good to go out of the box? I'm looking to pick an AK up myself....
Old 09-29-2013, 18:59   #9
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Like the OP, I don't know much about AK's, is this AK good to go out of the box? I'm looking to pick an AK up myself....
I have the underfolder version and it has been excellent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by Glockdude1; 09-29-2013 at 19:00..
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 19:08   #10
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminary View Post
That's really all you need? I've always been interested in doing a Saiga conversion but I'm not too mechanically inclined. What about that fore end? Is there a way to convert it to accept AK furniture and if so, how difficult would it be?
For the rear--yes. For the front end (his doesn't appear to be done) --- no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 19:28   #11
PAGunner

Quote:
I have the underfolder version and it has been excellent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Is there aftermarket furniture available for this particular rifle? If I was to buy one I'd want to mount an aimpoint micro up front on a rail, change the grip and maybe get a folder stock on it...
Old 09-30-2013, 05:08   #12
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Is there aftermarket furniture available for this particular rifle? If I was to buy one I'd want to mount an aimpoint micro up front on a rail, change the grip and maybe get a folder stock on it...
Plenty of aftermarket parts/furniture available.

http://ultimak.com/BuyAK.htm

Last edited by Glockdude1; 09-30-2013 at 05:10..
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 20:01   #13
BossGodfrey

I am not a whiz with tools. Just watched a few videos over and over and took my time. Now I could almost do it blind folded. This is my last conversion completed today when the rail came in. Total was 689.00. I left the front alone this time. I will no longer be using the standard plastic hand guard. After several mag dumps I was no impressed with the tapco with heatshield guard you see on many arsenal rifles. Like the one I bought in 2009. It melted to the barrel and I used a heat gun to get if off. Unless a friend wants one on their build. I drifted away from my Ak purist roots on this one, went with my first rail and grip build. I gotta say I kinda like it. It's really fun if you're into the AK type guns. I learned a lot and now I am doing one from the ground up. Never knew how cheap rivet guns are, even use them to plug up holes left after conversion. I retired now so it's a good hobby ! I still blame CarlosC for the addiction

Last edited by BossGodfrey; 10-11-2013 at 15:01..
Old 09-30-2013, 23:55   #14
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossGodfrey View Post
I am not a whiz with tools. Just watched a few videos over and over and took my time. Now I could almost do it blind folded. This is my last conversion completed today when the rail came in. Total was 689.00. I left the front alone this time. I will no longer be using the standard plastic hand guard. After several mag dumps I was no impressed with the tapco with heatshield guard you see on many arsenal rifles. Like the one I bought in 2009. It melted to the barrel and I used a heat gun to get if off. Unless a friend wants one on their build. I drifted away from my Ak purist roots on this one, went with my first rail and grip build. I gotta say I kinda like it. It's really fun if you're into the AK type guns. I learned a lot and now I am doing one from the ground up. Never knew how cheap rivet guns are, even use them to plug up holes left after conversion. I retired now so it's a good hobby ! I still blame CarlosC for the addiction
Nice. I hate that the barrels on those arent threaded though...and dont have the thing on the front sight that keeps the muzzle device in place should you thread it yourself.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:21   #15
Scratcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
With Arsenals going for $1200 (ish) these days I'd much rather pay $200 or so more for a Krebs. Real customer service, crowned barrel, smoothed action, better trigger, better finish, ect.......
I agree,

Krebs is quality; you'll pay for it, but won't regret it.
I heard he has great customer service, almost like talking with an ole friend.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:27   #16
Scratcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
The O-PAP is the best deal going right now. This is coming from an Arsenal fanboy.
I wonder if the front sights are canted like the older Yugos built by Century arms.
Heavy duty AKs; but couldn't get the front sights straight.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:31   #17
rhino673

Quote:
wideners is in my home town . I might just have to get one or two of these.
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 16:50   #18
BossGodfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
Nice. I hate that the barrels on those arent threaded though...and dont have the thing on the front sight that keeps the muzzle device in place should you thread it yourself.
Yea that kinda sucks, I gotta friend that cuts off the muzzle piece and threads them himself. But it is nice to have the detent pin. You're right about that !The muzzle device I can take or leave. I try to keep the weight down on my rifles. I'm getting ready to put a mojo peep sight on it. After trying one I could not believe how it improved my groups. For 50.00 it's a good add on ! It they weren't so expensive I would try the techsight. To the OP. another nice model is the Norinco mak 90. I just bid on one on gunbroker. Take the crap wood stock off and get a replacement from ironwood designs and u gotta nice rifle for around 700.00 !

P.S. Anyone looking for a nice rail, I tried the omega tactical quad rail and I am impressed for 40.00 off ebay. Rock solid and very well built. Takes one minute to bolt it on and I give it 5 stars !

Last edited by BossGodfrey; 10-01-2013 at 16:54..
Old 10-04-2013, 19:20   #19
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...649d5-18782761

The Kalashnikov Klub

$599 free shipping!!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 21:45   #20
joeG26er

Quote:
Is this the OPap? I thought the PAP was a single stack conversion and did not work as well as the OPap?

Tags
ak-47, assault rifle