Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:21   #1
rvanpelt

Rattler vs GLOCK 26

As I was mowing yesterday, I came upon a bigger than average rattler, for this area anyway. He was about to get away by going under an old mobile home. I had my Gock 26 9mm with me, fired 3 shots, hitting him with all 3. He measured 42 inches long and 14 rattles and a button. We live in the country and over the years rattlers have bit my horse, several cows, dogs and my Dad spent 3 days in the hospital and was very sick because of a bite.
Have any of you used any of the shot shells they make for various calibers? Are they strong enough to cycle the semi autos? I'd like to get some for my wife's Kahr CW9.
Thanks,
Rod
Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48   #2
Bren
NRA Life Member

If I was going to use snake shoot, I'd get a revolver. if they even make it for semi-autos, I wouldn't bet on it feeding or cycling. I'm not sure how good snake shot is for a good sized snake. If you are fairly isolated and can shoot, I'd stick with bullets.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35   #3
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

They should cycle in your G26, I've shot .40 and .45 versions through my GLocks with no issues. Recoil is light, but I do know Kahr springs their pistols pretty tight and I'm not sure if they would cycle in the Kahr or not. I have a CM40 but I've not tried the shotshells through it, and even if I did it wouldn't really be good info for someone shooting 9mm.
Old 09-11-2013, 14:17   #4
crazi_e

nice shot!
crazi_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 14:34   #5
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Good shooting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 15:11   #6
colin1230

I think TNOutdoors9 did a review on 9mm shotshells a while back. Didn't turn out too good if I recall, lots of malfunctions. Check his Youtube channel. Back when I was in the natural gas gathering fields I carried a Ruger Single Six Convertable with the magnum cylinder and shotshells. Snakes liked to get in the meter houses for the rats and mice. It would pattern about an inch in diameter, about the size of a big rattlers head. With a head shot they wouldn't even wiggle.
colin1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 21:20   #7
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Sorry to hear about your dad...

we have more rattlers on our ranch than in ranch in the county in this part of west Texas. We kill some really huge ones while working, that is, fixin fence, or branding, or in camp on round up, or even hunting, or just merely stepping out of the house at night to get something out of the truck, or check the horses in the barn, etc...

5' and over 6' ratlers are common place on our ranch. Shot shells stink for this, we just pull our revolvers and shoot them. I EDC a 44mag Vaquero, or 45colt Vaquero, and hard cast bullets for certain reasons out here. But just pull point and shoot, is the way to do it. A large magnum revolver with snake shot at 5 feet will work sometimes, but nothing beats a few well placed bullets...

We deal with them everyday until winter and then a few, cause there is not much winter here. Just pull and shoot.

here are a few pics...

Of course we do from time to time take some into camp on roundup, or back to the house, all cleaned and ready, and deep fry them in corn meal/flour batter, with habenero's and beans and roastin ears... yum !

One of hundreds of dens on our place...

Six foot/to over 7 foot, is not uncommon. forget the snake shot. What ever pistol you carry, just pull and shoot. That's it from 50 years experience.

Enjoy with beans and peppers and mesquite roasted, or deep fried. There good on the trail, or at the table !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 10-07-2013 at 21:26..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:54   #8
ArmoryDoc

Wow. What a pile of snakes. Good shooting.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53   #9
rvanpelt

Nice pile of snakes! Glad you're getting rid of a bunch. Guten Appitit! I've seen them bite themselves as they die so not excited about eating one. Lots of bones too .
Old 10-08-2013, 13:04   #10
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Guys... That "pile of nakes," was shot 'only' with a camera. My brother took the pic and did not have a gun with him at the time. If ALL those had been killed, there are still 100's X's 100's more of these piles and dens, out here everywhere on the place. But would have been nice to have shotguned all these dead !

CanyonMan

Old 10-09-2013, 11:25   #11
donniet

Hey Canyon Man,
That photo brings back a lot of memories. I was raised along the Red River between Texas and Oklahoma. Right where the Southwest corner of Oklahoma meets Texas. There were many known snake dens along the Red. As a young man, along with friends, I would visit the dens every year just as the first warm days signaled the end of winter. I have never understood the attraction to the snakes of certain small caverns/holes as opposed to other caverns. Being raised around the rattlers, I respected but, never feared them. On the other hand, I truly fear a copper head. Ahhh, the memories. I moved the burbs and haven't hunted snakes for over 30 years.
donniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 17:40   #12
Chevytuff19

So far, I haven't seen many rattle snakes out at our place south of Ozona. The foreman has only seen and killed a handful, too. I'm not complaining; I hate rattlesnakes.

Nice shooting, though. It took me 10 rounds of 9mm to kill the last rattlesnake I found. I was aiming for the head, though and it was constantly moving.
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:47   #13
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniet View Post
Hey Canyon Man,
That photo brings back a lot of memories. I was raised along the Red River between Texas and Oklahoma. Right where the Southwest corner of Oklahoma meets Texas. There were many known snake dens along the Red. As a young man, along with friends, I would visit the dens every year just as the first warm days signaled the end of winter. I have never understood the attraction to the snakes of certain small caverns/holes as opposed to other caverns. Being raised around the rattlers, I respected but, never feared them. On the other hand, I truly fear a copper head. Ahhh, the memories. I moved the burbs and haven't hunted snakes for over 30 years.

Gotta love Oklahoma. I'm from the N.W. part of Okla. On the Texas Kansas N.M. Colo border up in the panhandle. In W. Texas now. (for a spell).

Hey this weekend amigo, OU stomp on the Horns !

Stay safe

CanyonMan

Old 10-10-2013, 19:59   #14
Boot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
Wow. What a pile of snakes. Good shooting.
How could you miss. Wow that is crazy the amount of snakes. A shotgun would be a great tool for that snake hunt.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 15:42   #15
Ron36105

Yea target practice is the only good thing about rattle snakes. Good shooting and nice photos.
GSSF MEMBER
CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER
Ron36105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 17:22   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanpelt View Post
As I was mowing yesterday, I came upon a bigger than average rattler, for this area anyway. He was about to get away by going under an old mobile home. I had my Gock 26 9mm with me, fired 3 shots, hitting him with all 3. He measured 42 inches long and 14 rattles and a button. We live in the country and over the years rattlers have bit my horse, several cows, dogs and my Dad spent 3 days in the hospital and was very sick because of a bite.
Have any of you used any of the shot shells they make for various calibers? Are they strong enough to cycle the semi autos? I'd like to get some for my wife's Kahr CW9.
Thanks,
Rod

Good shooting on him anigo... bam bam bam.. thats the way to do 'er.

Good shooting !

CanyonMan

Old 05-16-2014, 04:29   #17
pisc1024

It doesn't sound like you need snake shot with the way you hit that thing.
pisc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:29   #18
rvanpelt

Thank you, but I might not be so lucky next time or it might be a smaller target. LOL